• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Why the fuck are Zarbon and Dodoria, who have been in like every game, gone, yet they have Appule and Raspberry, the latter which was an anime-only goon that got fucked up by Bulma and a Namekian Space Crab?

And none of Freeza or Cell's other forms, yet they have the "100%" Form as their own slot which is barely different visually and could easily just be a power-up or something.

Why the fuck are Zarbon and Dodoria, who have been in like every game, gone, yet they have Appule and Raspberry, the latter which was an anime-only goon that got fucked up by Bulma and a Namekian Space Crab?

And none of Freeza or Cell's other forms, yet they have the "100%" Form as their own slot which is barely different visually and could easily just be a power-up or something.
Yeah, this roster is weird.

Japan.

Please.

You need to update.

Here, have my energy. Take it! We'll be the Japanese version of Grace Chen Time, together!

NeonZ

I guess they included Raspberry and Appule due to them being generic soldiers for story mode. There was a video showing that there are even alternate skins with other names and designs. The final forms for Freeza and Cell are odd though...

NoFoX

Watched some streams today and well, the gameplay and roster ... :/
Think i'll stay with Tenkaichi 3 on PCSX2

Welfare

Watched some streams today and well, the gameplay and roster ... :/
Think i'll stay with Tenkaichi 3 on PCSX2

Well the streams are beginner players so we won't see any advanced tech right away.

Also, I love BT3 and all, but Create a Character/Race is the best thing to come to a DB game.

NoFoX

Well the streams are beginner players so we won't see any advanced tech right away.

Also, I love BT3 and all, but Create a Character/Race is the best thing to come to a DB game.

True and yes.

But i do like to play with my heroes (Goku, Vegeta, Cell etc).
I don't need a costume character, but it's nice it's in the game!

This game looks janky as hell when people who suck play it. And then you see a semi-advanced player or a good ass combo video and it looks like Heaven.

EDIT: Watching some rumor vids on Broly. If this game doesn't have all his forms I'm gonna cry

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Should a list be made as to what this game DOES have, since it seems to come up a lot? Examples:
  • Multi-button Combat (Separate Punch and Kick buttons)
  • Added Parry and Offensive teleporting, which can be used to extend combos.
  • Jump Cancel combos.
  • Races actually have strengths and weaknesses, like a traditional fighter.
  • While their is a block button, cross-ups work, due to blocking only working from the front.
  • Anti-teleport measures built into block strings.
  • An original Story Line / what if scenarios
  • No cinematic supers (as the game didn't want to freeze the game for other players) Dynamic camera work is seen by the attacker only.
  • Up to 3 vs 3 Play.

*WTF Characters*

This roster seems built off what'll actually bring more to the game play and design. Are their moves good to use for create a character of the available races? Will they be a part of the original story they're making? Zarbon would have required 2 forms, and really doesn't do much that others don't. Frieza's goons can however serve as storyline filler villans and provide moveset skills that'd be good for humans / lower-strength characters.

This game actually gives each character, and even costumes for characters, unique combo strings and specials. Everyone's not a clone, like they generally are in the Tenkaichi series. They've prioritized customization and gameplay, and things that don't lend to that / would be more trouble than they're worth have be left on the cutting room floor.

Aww, there's no Ascended/Super Trunks? I know he's slow but he was fun in Tenkaichi 2 (last DBZ game I've played). Huge blasts that destroy everything

Whatever, still stoked. I didn't want to spoil any of the story, but I was watching some of a stream earlier, looks pretty awesome. If nothing else it'll be just a fun DBZ game for PS4. Does seem like it has potential to be something special, though

Dueck

Banned
The last Dragon Ball game I truly hopped aboard the hype train for was Raging Blast 2, and I wound up feeling initial disappointment with it (though it ended up becoming my favorite over time).

I have never been more excited for anything DB-related than I am for XenoVerse. I won't lie, the roster has possibly excluded some fighters I'm sad to see gone, but the overall product looks like a solid package to me, and the DLC is interesting. It's nice to see GT gets it day somehow.

I've come to terms with things regarding ever getting a competitive fighter with the DBZ license.

This game looks janky as hell when people who suck play it. And then you see a semi-advanced player or a good ass combo video and it looks like Heaven.

EDIT: Watching some rumor vids on Broly. If this game doesn't have all his forms I'm gonna cry
From what I heard only his LSSJ form is playable.

Looks like with the character creator in this game, they didn't have enough time to give everyone all their forms.

This game looks so good.

Really good stream going on within Live with Playstation. Americans In Japan and they are translating and such while playing. Real cool

DedValve

Banned
Not everything they touch is gold...Legend of Korra.

Not going to defend Korra for it's glaring issues but combat wise Korra was one of the most refined games of 2014 defeated only by Bayonetta.

Platinum knows how to make combat games, even when they have a shoestring budget with an extremely tight deadline and have a newbie directing it.

NovaCross

Neo Member
I was never too big into DBZ or even the games but man, this actually looks pretty promising. I'd love to play it sometime.

Does somebody know if it's possible to play the story with a standard character (ex. Goku)?

I believe you can once the mission is completed. Like, you can go back and beat past missions again and I think you can pick the character, but I'm not sure.

Since I'm at work, impressions will be relevely short, but I'll try and answer questions you guys have if they are general. I'm sure someone else will chime in. To start, I'm not good at the game, I've barely dug in (literally just reaching Nappa), and I haven't played the other DBZ games much to compare this to.

That being said, let's go!

- Only two choices at the start menu - Game Start and Options. You actually have to walk to the damn shops to start up a VS game, unless I'm missing a Quick Menu once you hop in.
- Not a whole lot of customization options from the get go, but enough that you can make your ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL look decent within the universe. This ain't Dragon Age, but it's serviceable.
- Trunks fights you for the tutorial. We'll get into the fighting system in a bit.
- After that, you are plopped into the world of Xenoverse. I wasn't online so I didn't see people wandering about (I think you have to be on the account you downloaded it from ala Gundam VS) but it was neat to see some CaC randomly made from the game's system.
-There are three main maps, one for Story, one for Items, and one for Missions.
- Your character isn't the slowest thing in the world, but damn is it kinda tedious to walk everywhere.
- Holy fuck the music is so repetitive. Might I suggest Bitch I Look Like Goku on repeat instead?
- Okay, so let's talk about the combat. It's what you see on the front page, and at first it feels clunky. But once you start learning moves and getting used to it, the game flows a lot faster.
- I still don't know what ki blast are used for, because my CaC's blasts are fucking awful and work shitty as a normal.
- I feel like there's a lot of variation between each character. Goku is the most fun, but I've only unlocked a few people so far.
- Power up system is pretty neat too.
- I hope you like fighting Buttheads all damn day because one mission is really dumb about it.
- It's kinda difficult? I mean, it's not too bad, but you need to level up. Not BoZ bad, but unless you start dumping points in and using items you might have trouble.
- Partner characters aren't too dumb, so that's a huge plus.
- Get used to your CaC character because that's probably the only way you'll unlock shit is through going into the story and using him. This kinda sucks, but the good news is you can buy moves!
- The fees in general are more than fair. I guess they wanted to get people right into the game because they sure are generous with the coin.
- I think each Teacher requires you to be a certain level. Big Green said I had to be Level 5 to train with him. Raditz was lower than that, I think.
- You won't have too much trouble figuring out what's what. It took me maybe five minutes to understand the menus.
- The new villains look like butt.
- The changes to the storylines are silly but fun. What ifs kinda scenario and then you correct it.
- Some of the missions force you to backtrack a bit.
- Tien is garbage. I haven't used Yamcha but I'm sure he'll be garbage as well.

Korezo

Does somebody know if it's possible to play the story with a standard character (ex. Goku)?

Yea, I hope you can play through the sagas normally like budokai 1, and the game has cutscenes like budokai 1. I like playing through the sagas following the story.

Revven

I believe you can once the mission is completed. Like, you can go back and beat past missions again and I think you can pick the character, but I'm not sure.

Since I'm at work, impressions will be relevely short, but I'll try and answer questions you guys have if they are general. I'm sure someone else will chime in. To start, I'm not good at the game, I've barely dug in (literally just reaching Nappa), and I haven't played the other DBZ games much to compare this to.

That being said, let's go!

- Only two choices at the start menu - Game Start and Options. You actually have to walk to the damn shops to start up a VS game, unless I'm missing a Quick Menu once you hop in.
- Not a whole lot of customization options from the get go, but enough that you can make your ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL look decent within the universe. This ain't Dragon Age, but it's serviceable.
- Trunks fights you for the tutorial. We'll get into the fighting system in a bit.
- After that, you are plopped into the world of Xenoverse. I wasn't online so I didn't see people wandering about (I think you have to be on the account you downloaded it from ala Gundam VS) but it was neat to see some CaC randomly made from the game's system.
-There are three main maps, one for Story, one for Items, and one for Missions.
- Your character isn't the slowest thing in the world, but damn is it kinda tedious to walk everywhere.
- Holy fuck the music is so repetitive. Might I suggest Bitch I Look Like Goku on repeat instead?
- Okay, so let's talk about the combat. It's what you see on the front page, and at first it feels clunky. But once you start learning moves and getting used to it, the game flows a lot faster.
- I still don't know what ki blast are used for, because my CaC's blasts are fucking awful and work shitty as a normal.
- I feel like there's a lot of variation between each character. Goku is the most fun, but I've only unlocked a few people so far.
- Power up system is pretty neat too.
- I hope you like fighting Buttheads all damn day because one mission is really dumb about it.
- It's kinda difficult? I mean, it's not too bad, but you need to level up. Not BoZ bad, but unless you start dumping points in and using items you might have trouble.
- Partner characters aren't too dumb, so that's a huge plus.
- Get used to your CaC character because that's probably the only way you'll unlock shit is through going into the story and using him. This kinda sucks, but the good news is you can buy moves!
- The fees in general are more than fair. I guess they wanted to get people right into the game because they sure are generous with the coin.
- I think each Teacher requires you to be a certain level. Big Green said I had to be Level 5 to train with him. Raditz was lower than that, I think.
- You won't have too much trouble figuring out what's what. It took me maybe five minutes to understand the menus.
- The new villains look like butt.
- The changes to the storylines are silly but fun. What ifs kinda scenario and then you correct it.
- Some of the missions force you to backtrack a bit.
- Tien is garbage. I haven't used Yamcha but I'm sure he'll be garbage as well.

So, in other words, the game is pretty good so far, yeah?

Also, Armored Trunks gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv80l5fE5jM

Additionally, apparently, Bamco EU is going to stream the game today not sure if they're going to reveal the full roster but they're going to start at 12 PM EST on: http://www.twitch.tv/bandainamcogameseu

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Is this one good? I played and liked Budokai 3 (godtier) and Burst Limit (eh, was okay). I hate the Tenkaichi games (they are very bad games). I figure it's been like 8 years since the last DBZ game I played, maybe this is the one??

Also I just had a thought: why the hell isn't there a DBZ Musou game??

Is this one good? I played and liked Budokai 3 (godtier) and Burst Limit (eh, was okay). I hate the Tenkaichi games (they are very bad games). I figure it's been like 8 years since the last DBZ game I played, maybe this is the one??

Also I just had a thought: why the hell isn't there a DBZ Musou game??

Thats a good question

You make me sad :(

His Volleyball move is slow, and his Solar Flare SEEMS to have shorter range than Goku's. I can't get any good combos with him.

And Yamcha...you knew this going in.

So, in other words, the game is pretty good so far, yeah?

Also, Armored Trunks gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv80l5fE5jM

Additionally, apparently, Bamco EU is going to stream the game today not sure if they're going to reveal the full roster but they're going to start at 12 PM EST on: http://www.twitch.tv/bandainamcogameseu

Game is fantastic. I think the only thing holding it back is the lack of quick menus and having the roster available (mostly, at least) from the start so you can practice, but those are minor issues.

Top Bottom