• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

sublimit

Banned
I've been playing DQIV DS for a while now and i just love how the game is divided to chapters that as you go along start to interconnect with each other.I especially liked the merchant chapter.
The graphics of the DS version are very pretty and colourful and the music is fantastic (i'm using my headphones).I'm currently in the Hero chapter and i got the two sisters in my team.

Can't wait to finish it and move on to DQV of which i've heard so much praise (everyone says it's the best from the trilogy)!

Scrawnton

I just started playing DQV kn ds again lastnight. I played it for the first time a few weeks before dragon quest 9 game out. Even though I beat it, I rushed through it and missed out on a lot of stuff. I'm revisiting it now.

I never did end up beating dragon quest vi on ds, I got 30 hours in and got stuck so I quit. I do want to return to that game some day as well. I'm feeling very nostalgic for dragon quest lately, so playing through the three ds games again will be a good time for me.

Not sure if any of you guys still play Dragon Quest IX, but as a reminder, next week (May 3-9) will be the last "Second Chance" week for some of the items that can only be found in the DQVC Shop.

Also, don't forget that once the Wifi Connection shutdown comes on May 20th, it'll be harder to unlock the DLC Quests (including many of the Legacy Bosses), and impossible without Action Replay to invite the DQ Cameo guests to your inn and collect their stuff.

The Quests and Guests only require one Wifi Connection to unlock all of them (although the quests have additional ingame requirements to actually access them), so consider taking the time to do it before the May 20th deadline.

tebunker

Banned
Not sure if any of you guys still play Dragon Quest IX, but as a reminder, next week (May 3-9) will be the last "Second Chance" week for some of the items that can only be found in the DQVC Shop.

Also, don't forget that once the Wifi Connection shutdown comes on May 20th, it'll be harder to unlock the DLC Quests (including many of the Legacy Bosses), and impossible without Action Replay to invite the DQ Cameo guests to your inn and collect their stuff.

The Quests and Guests only require one Wifi Connection to unlock all of them (although the quests have additional ingame requirements to actually access them), so consider taking the time to do it before the May 20th deadline.

Argh god I just want to buy a DS and this game now so I can get this stuff. I have been putting off getting this because I was done with the DS family several years ago, but I want this for completionist sake

You should be able to get DQ9+a DS for about 40 bucks or so if you shop around.

Plus you could play the Zenithian Trilogy on the DS as well. From how you're talking I'm assuming you played the older versions of the game, but Party Chat adds a nice amount to DQV and VI, so it's worth considering. They tend to go for a good deal more nowadays though, especially V.

tebunker

Banned
You should be able to get DQ9+a DS for about 40 bucks or so if you shop around.

Plus you could play the Zenithian Trilogy on the DS as well. From how you're talking I'm assuming you played the older versions of the game, but Party Chat adds a nice amount to DQV and VI, so it's worth considering. They tend to go for a good deal more nowadays though, especially V.

Definitely going to make an effort to get it in for around that price, I pretty much bailed on DS after IV came out, regret selling that now. Have played all but 5,6 and 9 so it would be a good investment.

Trying to knock out a 7 play-through and an 8 one as well, but that means putting a lot of games on the shelf.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I just have to connect once to have everything in DQIX, right? I did that a few months ago, so I should be fine then. It's always such a hassle to get the DS connected to my router.

Thanks for the reminder!

Any one know if the May 20th WFC shutdown will affect the ability for multiplayer in the game via Pavo? Visiting a friend's game through multiplayer is currently one way to unlock dqvc quests if they have them unlocked and you don't.

Oxx

I wish I had my DQIX cart here with me. If only just to reminisce. And see what it looks like on a 3DS.

Any one know if the May 20th WFC shutdown will affect the ability for multiplayer in the game via Pavo? Visiting a friend's game through multiplayer is currently one way to unlock dqvc quests if they have them unlocked and you don't.

Multiplayer with Pavo is Ad-hoc, so if you miss the May 20th deadline, you can still unlock the DLC quests that way. It's just a matter of having someone else who has those quests unlocked.

Faustek

I just have to connect once to have everything in DQIX, right? I did that a few months ago, so I should be fine then. It's always such a hassle to get the DS connected to my router.

Was it really so? Is it just the VC daily/weekly items we will miss out on then?

Gloam

It's where we belong as we await the triumphant return of DQ.

Speaking of triumphant returns X in 10 is back. It's a fun podcast and gives some insight into the ins and outs of DQ10 for those who haven't played it. I was featured in a couple of episodes way back when around about the time Alex was fighting the Cat boss. Something to tide us over as we wait for announcements...

Time to play one again! Surely you haven't played all of the spinoffs yet?

I think I have? Unless the Itadaki Street games were localised and I missed out on those, lol, or the Torneko games? I reaaaaaallly want to play Terry's Wonderland 3D (and the sequel) and the remake of VII but alas :(

But the Zenithian Trilogy is always something I'm up for. I often do those yearly (minus 2013 thus far because somanygames.gif) so might get to those after I clear a bit of my backlog. I'm scared of what they would look like on an XL though :O

Edit: Joker looks alright but that isn't sprite based. It's those that suffer the most on XL.

Oxx

Joker 2 was the last one I played. And that was a long time ago.

We went from having too much DQ to none at all.

Faustek

anyway not even sure if this would fall under the DQ games but I'm running with it anyway.

So far I haven't had time to really play it that much but I must admit it took me way to long to realize who Torneko was.
Merchant from DQIV, I blame Toriyama

So just wondered if people where interested at all or if this is just mainly for mainline entries.

Branson

How does DQ9 hold up? I've never played a DQ game and I'm kind of interested in that one. I was thinking about picking Chrono Trigger and that up for DS to play on my 3DS soon.

Side note I've never played CT either.

How does DQ9 hold up? I've never played a DQ game and I'm kind of interested in that one. I was thinking about picking Chrono Trigger and that up for DS to play on my 3DS soon.

Side note I've never played CT either.

I'm playing it now. It's my first DQ game that I'm playing properly. The story feels like a bunch of smaller, simpler scenarios tied together. But the writing is so polished and it's all soooo charming and endearing.

Speaking of DQIX...

I need help guys.

I died at the top of the Tower of Trades while fighting Abbot Jack, and ended up in the church in Coffinwell. How dafuq do I get back? I'm basically on another continent. Is my game ruined??

Just remember, the Zoom/Return spell will take you back to all towns you've visited before in DQ games, likewise for the Wing of Chimera/Wing of Wyvern. (Although in older DQ games it's less useful, DQ1's Return spell only takes you back to the starting castle for instance).

It's especially important in DQ9 with the sidequests, dungeons, material gathering points, and all sorts of other stuff that keeps you going around the world instead of advancing the main plot.

For you guys starting with DQ9, I have to give my usual shout-out to DQ5, aka my favorite. Be sure to give that one a shot at some point. All DQ games play out in a nice charming way, but DQ's plot is one of the few in the series that I think can stand up on its own even without the presentation of it. It also has a lot of my favorite characters in the series, and the monster recruiting system is a fun feature. Be sure to try the DS version if you can because of Party Chat, but even the SNES version holds up very nicely, especially for a JRPG that's over 20 years old.

Branson

Alright, bought IX and Chrono Trigger from Amazon. Many hours of JRPG goodness I hope? Kind of just going on a whim here. Doesnt hurt that I enjoy Akira Toriyamas style a lot as a big fan of the Dragon Ball.

Also about the whole Online quests DLC or whatever on IX is there just a download all type of situation or do you have to play and unlock them by the end of the week or something? Like having to put in 20 hours before I can get the quests.

There's basically two different deadlines happening now.

Deadline 1 is for getting items that can only be gotten in the DQVC. The DQVC will be up until May 20th, but this week is the last week they have the "Second Chance" theme that lets you get DQVC exclusive items. If you care about getting as much exclusive stuff as you can, then this is the week to do it.

Deadline 2 is for the Nintendo Wifi Connection closure on May 20th. In the case of Dragon Quest IX, this will disallow access to the DQVC. Besides getting access to the store when you connect there, that connection gives you the exclusive guests for the inn, and allows for you to unlock additional quests. You only have to connect once to get all of the exclusive guests and all of the additional quests (When the game was new, they gave a new guest and quest every week or so, but they're all available now, so only one connection is needed).

There's still other ingame requirements for the Wifi quests (such as beating the main game and/or finishing some other quests), but once you've unlocked the wifi quests by connecting, you can do the other requirements at your leisure

Branson

There's basically two different deadlines happening now.

Deadline 1 is for getting items that can only be gotten in the DQVC. The DQVC will be up until May 20th, but this week is the last week they have the "Second Chance" theme that lets you get DQVC exclusive items. If you care about getting as much exclusive stuff as you can, then this is the week to do it.

Deadline 2 is for the Nintendo Wifi Connection closure on May 20th. In the case of Dragon Quest IX, this will disallow access to the DQVC. Besides getting access to the store when you connect there, that connection gives you the exclusive guests for the inn, and allows for you to unlock additional quests. You only have to connect once to get all of the exclusive guests and all of the additional quests (When the game was new, they gave a new guest and quest every week or so, but they're all available now, so only one connection is needed).

There's still other ingame requirements for the Wifi quests (such as beating the main game and/or finishing some other quests), but once you've unlocked the wifi quests by connecting, you can do the other requirements at your leisure

Awesome thanks. Ill get it Wednesday according to Amazon and get all of that. I'm excited, its my first DQ game. Good to know I can get them by just connecting. I probably wont get to the game too soon but I want to as soon as possible, have some other games to play a bit of first like Mario Golf. Not sure if I want to play Chrono Trigger or DQIX first.

CorvoSol

Dragon Quest 4

So I'm still progressing through Torneko's chapter and WOW. They really, really expect me to make a ton of cash, huh? 60k is a lot of money. In order to do this, I need to know where/how I can sell weapons in Endor.

Also I'm pretty sure Torneko is playing both sides of this Ballymoral/Endor conflict specifically to increase his profits. I mean what is more beneficial to a War Profiteer than a Cold War? And Torneko is one dark, scary dude. Like, we took our dogs to the fox town and razed that village to the ground for doing wrong by us in a business transaction. We just DECIMATED them folks. And now we're arranging this little wedding between two nations with intent to pump them full of arms and armaments.

This dude has international clout. His boss back home treated him like shit and Torneko is now a man to make nations tremble before him.

Torneko_Taloon.jpg

What a money grubbing tyrant.

CorvoSol

Torneko_Taloon.jpg

What a money grubbing tyrant.

Torneko is one cold motherfucker, man. He'll take your son's dog as payment for debts. That's how cold he is. Oh you don't want to go to Church today, old man? TOO BAD. YOU GOIN, AND YOU GOIN PAY ME WHEN YOU GET THERE. SAY HELLO TO JESUS AND TELL HIM HE OWES ME FIVE BUCKS.

Pharaun

Torneko is one cold motherfucker, man. He'll take your son's dog as payment for debts. That's how cold he is. Oh you don't want to go to Church today, old man? TOO BAD. YOU GOIN, AND YOU GOIN PAY ME WHEN YOU GET THERE. SAY HELLO TO JESUS AND TELL HIM HE OWES ME FIVE BUCKS.

My wife thinks I'm crazy because I started laughing so hard at this while reading gaf in bed.

Torneko is such a BAMF that Samuel Jackson didn't try to get his wallet back after Torneko took it.

CorvoSol

You know what Torneko carries in that steel lockbox of his?

The half the economy of Ballymoral and Endor combined. Torneko goes missing and those countries will be hit with a depression the likes of which their scholars have not yet invented words to describe.

Just another reminder that TODAY is the LAST DAY to connect to the DQVC in DQIX and get your guests and quests, including Legacy Bosses! If you still haven't connected your game to the DQVC and you still want the bonus content (the easy way) please make the connection before it's too late.

You have to get access to Alltrade's Abbey and then Zoom back to Stornway's Quester Rest Inn to connect. Talk to Sellma and she'll give you the hookup.

Gambit

Just another reminder that TODAY is the LAST DAY to connect to the DQVC in DQIX and get your guests and quests, including Legacy Bosses! If you still haven't connected your game to the DQVC and you still want the bonus content (the easy way) please make the connection before it's too late.

You have to get access to Alltrade's Abbey and then Zoom back to Stornway's Quester Rest Inn to connect. Talk to Sellma and she'll give you the hookup.

Thanks again. Just connected it. I think I already had all the guests, but I wasn't sure anymore.

One of these days, I will get back into VI and finish that. What would push me over the edge is a localisation announcement for VII Remake.

KtSlime

Am I missing much by not doing it? I can't for the life if me find an unlocked router. I assume Selma is ロクサーヌ right?

Am I missing much by not doing it? I can't for the life if me find an unlocked router. I assume Selma is ロクサーヌ right?

I find that the best place to find an unlocked router is if there's an independent restaurant or cafe nearby. They'll often have unlocked routers that don't require connections to an authentication page. The biggest thing you'd be missing out on is the Legacy Bosses, aka bosses from past DQ games. There's also the cameo equipment, such as Bianca's Dress and Angelo's suit. I know many of those items can be found in the dungeons, but I'm not sure about the ones that they give you for guesting up in your Inn.

Selma is the blonde woman standing behind the counter in Quester's Rest Inn in Stornway. If you don't see her, it means you haven't progressed far enough into the game yet.

mid83

Is there any hope left for a VII 3DS localization? I've seen some people claim a Reggie tweet from last year is enough to think it's still happening, but we are well past a year since the Japanese release with no word. Seems like if it was going to happen, we would have heard by now.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The last hope is probably "they'll do it if they don't have anything else to localize".
Anyway, if it's not announced at E3, I guess it won't come.

KtSlime

I find that the best place to find an unlocked router is if there's an independent restaurant or cafe nearby. They'll often have unlocked routers that don't require connections to an authentication page. The biggest thing you'd be missing out on is the Legacy Bosses, aka bosses from past DQ games. There's also the cameo equipment, such as Bianca's Dress and Angelo's suit. I know many of those items can be found in the dungeons, but I'm not sure about the ones that they give you for guesting up in your Inn.

Selma is the blonde woman standing behind the counter in Quester's Rest Inn in Stornway. If you don't see her, it means you haven't progressed far enough into the game yet.

Thanks, I ended up finding someone's unlocked Internet and hanging out in the middle of the street while connecting. Her name in Japanese is Roxanne, I figured that's who it was, the English names confuse me, not sure why Nintendo changes them. Now I've got 64 new quests to work on.

Cheerilee

Thanks, I ended up finding someone's unlocked Internet and hanging out in the middle of the street while connecting. Her name in Japanese is Roxanne, I figured that's who it was, the English names confuse me, not sure why Nintendo changes them. Now I've got 64 new quests to work on.

Because puns. Everything in the more recent translations must be a pun.

Roxanne's name is "Sellma", with two L's, because she sells things, get it?

Rikka's name is "Erinn", with two N's, because she runs the inn, get it?

Ruida is "Patty", even though her character is a reference to a character in a previous game that we already saw in America (twice, DQ3), either because "Patty" is close enough to "party" and you use her to recruit party members, or because "Patty and Selma" is a Simpsons reference.

How do you guys feel about the need to pun everything in the game? I've honestly grown used to it and find myself awaiting my moment of sighing at the screen's text.

Better question, is the Japanese version punny?

Branson

Ok so I asked this in the other thread but Ill ask here too. If I have all of the guests and connected just now to the DQVC or whatever its called, I got the quests too?

Yes you should. You can check this by going to the Quests option on the Battle Records and looking under extra quests. I think they stopped adding quests about a year after the game released, so if you've connected to the DQVC within the last 3 years (and not deleted your save of course) you should be good.

Top Bottom