• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Pharaun

I have never heard someone gush so much about Torneko's Chapter before.

As a not so wee lad back when it first came out in America back in 1992 I thought his chapter was one of the coolest things. It was initially such a radical departure from traditional rpg gameplay at the time. It was my favorite of the prequel chapters by far.

KtSlime

As a not so wee lad back when it first came out in America back in 1992 I thought his chapter was one of the coolest things. It was initially such a radical departure from traditional rpg gameplay at the time. It was my favorite of the prequel chapters by far.
An American finding war profiteering cool. Color me not surprised. :p

Laconic

Banned
So the servers shut down? I forgot this was going to happen. I have to disable my internet password to get the Dragon Quest IX content, so I have been putting it off for forever. Can I still get the quests?

If you know someone with DQIX and all of the extra quests unlocked (and I believe complete as well), you can still tag them and unlock them in your own game.

CorvoSol

I have never heard someone gush so much about Torneko's Chapter before.

Well I dunno, it's just really creative, especially when you consider that DQ4 was an NES game. I've beaten no more than 2 other mainline DQ's 9 and I think 3? and those, combined with DQM and DQMJ have lead me to not expect shocking sorts of concepts from Dragon Quest. The name of the game is to do what it does and do it well, so to speak. But Torneko's chapter is really experimental and the idea of basing a whole chapter around an RPG shopkeeper is itself very quirky.

Psxphile

Though I don't personally know much about them, Torneko had a few spin-off games made for him. I think they were mostly rougelikes? Did they expand on the shopkeeper concept? I really don't know, I just know they exist.

I suppose the modern equivalent these days that furthers the concept of owning a shop and basing everything around having a successful business would be Recettear on Steam. Haven't played that one either...

I will say that Torneko is probably the most developed character in the American version of DQIV ds, if only the lack of party chat results in him being the only character with a significant amount of dialogue thanks to his item examining skill. Meena and Maya had my favorite of the pre-Hero chapters, but Torneko's is probably in 2nd place. Actually I'd say the chapters escalate in quality in my eyes from the start.

Was I the only one who assumed that Princess+Pointy Hat=Alena being a mage when I first saw her in promotional stuff? They sure fooled me there...

Gloam

I will say that Torneko is probably the most developed character in the American version of DQIV ds, if only the lack of party chat results in him being the only character with a significant amount of dialogue thanks to his item examining skill. Meena and Maya had my favorite of the pre-Hero chapters, but Torneko's is probably in 2nd place. Actually I'd say the chapters escalate in quality in my eyes from the start.

Was I the only one who assumed that Princess+Pointy Hat=Alena being a mage when I first saw her in promotional stuff? They sure fooled me there...

Heh, yeah she does look kinda wizard-y, I enjoyed Ragner and Torneko's chapter the most. Think it had a lot to do with the accents, though I know a lot of folks might not agree. I was delighted to see a lot of Irish and Scottish colloquialisms pop-up. 'The poxy bridge is banjaxed!'

KiTA

qa2EWbu.jpg

So this is making the rounds. Should be interesting to see if it's real or not.

For those who can't load it, it's a supposed internal pamphlet for Nintendo E3 Presenters mentioning which games will be there. DQ7 is on the list.

qa2EWbu.jpg

So this is making the rounds. Should be interesting to see if it's real or not.

For those who can't load it, it's a supposed internal pamphlet for Nintendo E3 Presenters mentioning which games will be there. DQ7 is on the list.

Being optimistic is usually never good in these cases, but damn it I Want To Believe!

Cheerilee

Though I don't personally know much about them, Torneko had a few spin-off games made for him. I think they were mostly rougelikes? Did they expand on the shopkeeper concept? I really don't know, I just know they exist.

I don't think so.

Basically, Koichi Nakamura/Chunsoft was the director/lead programmer on the early Dragon Quest games, behind Yuji Horii/Armor Project. Torneko might have been Chunsoft's personal contribution to DQIV, but even if he wasn't, Chunsoft apparently fell in love with him as a working man/unlikely hero (which was how they saw themselves, overweight, balding men, with wives who were too good for them).

Chunsoft were also big fans of the Roguelike genre, so when they asked Enix for permission to take the lead on a game of their own, and make it without the guidance of Armor Project, they decided to make a Roguelike starring Torneko.

The game might have had some "shopkeeper" window dressings (if I got far enough to see any of them, I don't remember them), but it's primary premise was being the unlikely hero in a Roguelike.

And it was the start of the Mystery dungeon series. It's a shame that only the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games get recognition in the West. I was playing Shiren the Wanderer on the DS and it was a blast, and I heard that the later titles (except arguably the one Atlus localized on the Wii) were even better.

I should try a Torneko Mystery Dungeon game some day. Possibly the PS1 game because that was apparently localized by Enix.

KtSlime

At least it all goes to help the Hero save the world. ;p
Touché.

Looks like DQ2 will be released soon (within a month or so). DQMSL is having a whole bunch of DQ2 themed promotions/dungeons/bosses this month, just like they did before 4 was released.

That screams fake. Unfortunately.

Also my favourite Chapter has always been Chapter 2 - buuuut I usually look forward to Torneko's as well. Love how quirky it is.

KiTA

Touché.

Looks like DQ2 will be released soon (within a month or so). DQMSL is having a whole bunch of DQ2 themed promotions/dungeons/bosses this month, just like they did before 4 was released.

Ah, I forgot all about DQMSL, since Square Enix has it region locked on the play store and an update made my APK stop working. Maybe I should give it another go.

Actually, I wonder what the odds are on DQMSL being localized are. It seems like a fairly easy port, and SE US / EU is all about the mobile stuff. At least DQMSL has actual RPG Gameplay - I just wish the maps were randomly generated like the rest of the DQM games. Not only that, there's some English in the thing already.

hazukash

Torneko is definitely my favourite character from DQIV. I also loved the concept of keeping a shop and farming for items to be sold. It was refreshing. I thought the entire game was refreshing, mind you, but Torneko's chapter is just the best part.

DQVII 3DS is coming to the West. Believe.

KiTA

Is there a chance that it will show up in one of these Treehouse streams? Or is it the case that the press kit mentions everything.

I have a vague hope that it will be, or that one of those TBAs on the Square Enix side will turn out to be DQ related, but eh, no, usually the press kit mentions everything. Although it doesn't mention Star Fox and the stinger at the end of the main Nintendo event was CLEARLY a WiiU Star Fox game, so...

SunGod

I have a vague hope that it will be, or that one of those TBAs on the Square Enix side will turn out to be DQ related, but eh, no, usually the press kit mentions everything. Although it doesn't mention Star Fox and the stinger at the end of the main Nintendo event was CLEARLY a WiiU Star Fox game, so...

Only one TBD left in the Square-Enix stream... (it was updated earlier today)

mid83

Well based on the the tweet below from earlier, it looks like the dream is indeed dead.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/476819635132956672

I know it's not 100% (Type-0 is a good example of this) but it does seem pretty unlikely this will ever come out. Of course now that we are five games behind, I just don't see another DQ game hitting the West again unless there is a major shift in how SE handles this franchise.

I think there's still hope for DQXI coming out west, but yeah, the DQVII dream is dead. I'll have to get my hands on playing the PSX version sometime.

;_;

KiTA

It's the 3rd E3 in a row with no DQ. Not a huge surprise. Still disappointing. We'll just have to wait till SE falls apart and hope the new publisher can handle it in the US.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's such a shame, especially since this means Europe will still have no way of playing DQ7. It's like missing out on Chrono Trigger all over again, except this time we don't even get the remake.

Wazzy

Banned
Yeah I'm also pretty disappointed there's been no new DQ news.

If only VIII could get brought to Vita so I could replay it portable. ; ;

Oxx

Disappointing but I honestly have no idea if the gap between Japanese release and now is significantly worse than other localisations.

It has taken long enough to bring FLife over.

A year and 4 months since the JP release is a pretty damn long time. There's certainly been localizations that have gotten announced years after the original release, but those are the exception not the rule. Usually when you go this long without even an announcement, it's time to take down the banner, because the party's probably not happening..

Well here's something that might cheer some of you up.

MortoQueiba's released a new patch for Dragon Quest + FF Itadaki Street Special for the PSP

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2077/

I'm proud to say I was able to help him with making a lot of custom English graphics for the game. He's also overhauled a lot of the Card descriptions and bios. Just some of the character dialog is left.

Oh, that's nice. How does that version compare to the Wii game?

There's some things I really like over the Wii game. Mainly the music (at least the DQ music), is fully orchestrated. Also, unlike the Wii game which has one "Target Met" theme for each franchise, EVERY map has it's own Target Met theme. If you like DQ music, you'll be very happy here.

Secondly, the mini games are better and a lot more fun. The only downside is that in the Wii game you could have them randomized, but here you can ONLY pick ONE for the whole game.

Also, even though it's a PSP game, you can still do Multiplayer by taking turns (plays perfectly fine on PPSSPP too)

The one huge problem with the game is the AI. It seems like it cheats more here (rolling the numbers it needs to dominate a district). Plus, the computer AI will refuse any kind of selling or buying property 99% of the the time (they MIGHT be up for trades, but it's pretty rare) whereas the Wii game they were much more manageable and open to buying and selling.

Wii version is garbage compared to the PSP (and PS2) versions. I can't say how it compares to the DS version, but from my understanding the Wii version is pretty much an enhanced DS version.

So many little details in the PSP version. Properties are named after things from the games the boards are from. You can actually pick characters in single player mode instead of using a Mii. The music is MUCH better handled (as someone said, each board has it's own target met theme). Some will complain that the game favors FF12 and DQ8 too much in terms of characters, and they're probably right (PS2 has the best character selection IMHO).

Wii version is garbage compared to the PSP (and PS2) versions.

I wouldn't go THAT far especially considering it's the only game in the series (with franchise characters) released in English. There's just the iOS game. MUCH closer to garbage.

So many little details in the PSP version. Properties are named after things from the games the boards are from. You can actually pick characters in single player mode instead of using a Mii.

Yeah, forgot to mention that, there are lots of cute little details.

The music is MUCH better handled (as someone said, each board has it's own target met theme). Some will complain that the game favors FF12 and DQ8 too much in terms of characters, and they're probably right (PS2 has the best character selection IMHO).

I think this came out before Dissidia when S-E was being weird with acknowledging characters from before FFVII existed. I still have yet to play the PS2 version (It's barely translated compared to the the PSP game, don't have my modded PS2 hooked up and my HTPC isn't powerful enough to emulate it) but in the PSP game you've got Library of the Ancients (FFV), The Phantom Train (FFVI), The Opera House (FFVI), and a Crystal Shrine (FFIII) and yet no characters from those games.

tebunker

Banned
So I started playing DQVIII this weekend in earnest.

I bought it when it released played a smidge and then watched my wife play to the last boss. I put it on a shelf but decided this weekend to jump in with both feet.

Unfortunately my PC isn't beefy enough to play it in psx2e but I still have a PS2 slim hooked up in the basement.

I feel like the game still holds up well and is a lot of fun. Just got Jessica so still early.

What nags at me and it always does when playing older games like this, is why don't publishers have teams available to upres the artwork and maybe clean some things up and re-publish these titles like every other generation as inexpensive collections? Much like Sony did but with a little more love like WWHD.

These titles are clearly getting the mobile love but how much extra would it really have cost to put out a download only version to WiiU, PS4 and XBone?

Especially when I think of it in the WiiU's case that could have been a launch or near launch type game, even retail for $40 with some improvements that would help pave the way for DQX to go worldwide.

I feel like the industry has too much desire or lust for every game to make millions in profit and they just can see that having a bunch of games make smaller profits helps find those one or two titles that go big.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What nags at me and it always does when playing older games like this, is why don't publishers have teams available to upres the artwork and maybe clean some things up and re-publish these titles like every other generation as inexpensive collections? Much like Sony did but with a little more love like WWHD.
DQVIII still got better treatment than Final Fantasy VI by getting released mostly as-is. FF6 is still a huge heartbreaker for me.

I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with DQ8 though.

Also, put Jessica at the front of your party so she's the one you get to see on the over world. You'll thank me when you get her special outfits. (She's the only one whose appearance changes with certain armor.)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Which DQ games are released on iOS (and Android?) now? I should update the OP, but I don't have a smart phone, so I didn't really keep up with these releases.

Top Bottom