• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Gloam

Just finished downloading DQ2 on my phone. It looks exactly as bad as DQ1. (._. )

Disappointing, expected but disappointing nevertheless.

GJ8lXk1.png

Aeana

:\\\\\\

They're using a version of Endless World based on the symphonic version. I wish it was more like the SFC version.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Man. I hope they put the other DQ games on the US store. Eventually I'm gonna finish VIII.

I don't know what DQ games are on iOS and what they look like. Googling just turns up shots and videos of 8. Anyone have links? What's wrong with the first two games?

i know basic japanese speaking but not reading.

Is there a good app/dictionary i could use to get the meaning of the kanji used?

i tought this was gonna be all katakana/hiragana like the nes one u_u

Man. I hope they put the other DQ games on the US store. Eventually I'm gonna finish VIII.

I don't know what DQ games are on iOS and what they look like. Googling just turns up shots and videos of 8. Anyone have links? What's wrong with the first two games?

I thought they look fine, at least the version of 1 did. It's a port of an earlier mobile version, which in turn is graphically similar to VI, in terms of character sprites. IV is based on the DS version.

I wonder if they would cut out party chat from the mobile version of 4 like they did the DS version, if they released it in english

Mozendo

Guess which Jamkoke when to Hargon's Castle without the Rubiss Charm.
Man, out of all the DQ games I've played so far DQ2 by far is my least favorite.

Although I got to admit it was a nice surprise my jaw dropped.

Pharaun

You really should. It's the first game that really puts together the whole DQ package and sets the tone for the remainder of the series.

Gloam

Just beat DQ3 again, I enjoy this game as much now as I did when it first came out.

I've been playing it on and off on the GBC over the summer break. Still fairly early on just blew up the wall to advance to the tower. It's amazing to me that I put up with the Gameboy's screen at all, thing is impossible to see without the right kind of light!

[Fugo]

Is mobile DQ8 worth it? I already played the ps2 version 3 times (2 on original hardware, 1 on pcsx2). I'm tempted but it's a bit pricey

I mean, besides the portability: is it a good port? What has been changed from ps2 version? Any extra content? Are the controls comfortable? How is the performance/framerate/battery consumption? (Galaxy Note 3 Neo here)

gblues

Banned
[Fugo];119351393 said:
Is mobile DQ8 worth it? I already played the ps2 version 3 times (2 on original hardware, 1 on pcsx2). I'm tempted but it's a bit pricey

I mean, besides the portability: is it a good port? What has been changed from ps2 version? Any extra content? Are the controls comfortable? How is the performance/framerate/battery consumption? (Galaxy Note 3 Neo here)

There isn't any new content. The framerate is bad because it appears they locked the entire engine (including UI) to the framerate of the animations.

One nice change is that you can see all the skill progressions so you can plan your point distribution a lot better.

Pharaun

I've been playing it on and off on the GBC over the summer break. Still fairly early on just blew up the wall to advance to the tower. It's amazing to me that I put up with the Gameboy's screen at all, thing is impossible to see without the right kind of light!

I kept my GBA SP specifically so I would have something to play DQ 1, 2, & 3 on. It's built in light is pretty bad, especially compared to the DS line, but it get's the job done.

Aeana

There isn't any new content. The framerate is bad because it appears they locked the entire engine (including UI) to the framerate of the animations.

One nice change is that you can see all the skill progressions so you can plan your point distribution a lot better.

The alchemy pot is also instant.
But I'd still recommend the PS2 version over it a million times.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
[Fugo];119351393 said:

Well worth it IMHO. The Alchemy changes and quick saving are great. I'm having a blast. I rarely used Alchemy in the original. Now they make it so easy and fast.

But it lacks the orchestrated soundtrack and voice acting the US version had. Mainly for size reasons but also because it's from Japan and they apparently didn't like those changes. Still. It looks great even today.

I'm already up to the Neos chapter. But I've been grinding, which is so much easier on mobile since I can do other things while my guys battle, so I'm blazing through bosses when the time comes. I'm thinking of doing a Fisticuffs only run when I'm done. (If that's even feasible)

[Fugo]

instant alchemy pot and skill progression without having to check faqs seems nice, ouch at the framerate though.

what about load times? on ps2 w/o HD-loader and the likes battle transitions where a bit slow and hampered the pace a bit, expecially on the world map.
The fast loading on pcsx2 felt much better. I've gone through PS2 Tales of the Abyss world map so I can stand anything if I like a game, but still having faster loads than ps2 would be nice.
Is the resolution just whatever my device's screen resolution is?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Frame rate is fine. It's slowdown is grossly exaggerated. Grossly.

The load times are bearable. But they're there. Then again most of the time you're complaining about the battle animations that were present in the original anyway.

ultra7k

Frame rate is fine. It's slowdown is grossly exaggerated. Grossly.

The load times are bearable. But they're there. Then again most of the time you're complaining about the battle animations that were present in the original anyway.

Yeah, once in game it's fine and it's not even noticeable. The only thing that makes you shudder is the grossly compressed video, but even about 30 hours in I've only seen...2, or 3 of those. 1 of them being the intro video.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, once in game it's fine and it's not even noticeable. The only thing that makes you shudder is the grossly compressed video, but even about 30 hours in I've only seen...2, or 3 of those. 1 of them being the intro video.
The actual videos are few and far between thankfully. 99.9% of the game is in-engine. Mainly so it can reflect what your characters are wearing.

It has an initial long load time and a slight delay switching between certain map models but it's not unplayable in the slightest. If anything they could have put in some speed up options for mobile that would make animations faster or shorter optionally. Maybe allow you to hold a finger down during the battle playout to speed it up or something because some of those bigger attacks take a lot of time especially when you're doing them every battle.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So, I finally went back to Dragon Quest II. I had to start over (I wasn't that far in anyway), though, because I had to switch from the anniversary collection to an emulator. At least now I can take screenshots, if I want to.
I'm off to chase the prince again then.

Aeana

I decided to finally check out the fan translations for DQ5 PS2 and DQ3 SFC in earnest. I just finished DQ5 up two days ago and I thought it was a really solid job, with a couple of strange decisions I don't agree with. DQ3, on the other hand, really has some lines that bother me. In particular, a girl in Noaniels who talks about being raped seems to be in really poor taste.

randomkid

I remember being annoyed by "Lord Master Dragon" in the DQ5 translation and wondering why anyone thought that would be a good choice. Also remember uneven stilted sounding dialogue through out, so can't say I thought it was a great job overall honestly. I wish there was a middle ground between the obnoxious DS translation and the stilted fan one.

Aeana

What exactly is wrong with the line? I guess the fact itself is in the original script as well?

W0kraTj.png
3HWZACz.png

Oh no, I must have dozed off. You didn't try anything funny while I was out, did you?

> Did
qAMRXeb.png

Honestly! Because you're a pervert, I bet!

> Did not
rSlyNOl.png

Sigh... Am I that unappealing...?

vs.

qnk8vdX.png
2V33v7y.png

Jucksalbe

Banned
Oh wow, yeah, that's pretty tasteless.
And they even bothered to remove the choice from that dialog, so it's not like they misunderstood that line.

Gloam

Oh wow, yeah, that's pretty tasteless.
And they even bothered to remove the choice from that dialog, so it's not like they misunderstood that line.

Reminds of that 'I bet Arche fucks like a tiger' line in the fan-translation of Tales of Phantasia weird leaps with the translation.

Aeana

Buffs lasting forever in battle really hurts DQ3's challenge, I think. It was a positive change giving them turn-based durations later on in the series. Really glad they did that.

ronito

I've got a stupid question. I'm currently going through VI (the last in the main series I've not finished) and I've gotten to the point where I'm competing in the fashion show for the rug. Do I have to win that style contest to get the rug? Do I need the rug or can I skip it? I looked up the scores I'd need to win it and they're like double where I am now. If I have to do it, is there an easy way to do it?

Aeana

I've got a stupid question. I'm currently going through VI (the last in the main series I've not finished) and I've gotten to the point where I'm competing in the fashion show for the rug. Do I have to win that style contest to get the rug? Do I need the rug or can I skip it? I looked up the scores I'd need to win it and they're like double where I am now. If I have to do it, is there an easy way to do it?

You have to win 3 times. It actually isn't that difficult, because armor sets grant you a style bonus. For instance, the platinum armor set will give you a (50 point IIRC?) bonus, but it isn't reflected on the stat screen.

FSLink

Banned
Reminds of that 'I bet Arche fucks like a tiger' line in the fan-translation of Tales of Phantasia weird leaps with the translation.
Was gonna say that I thought DQ3 was also translated by Dejap who was famous for that ToP line, and I guess it was but it's an older fan patch. Sort of curious on how Dejap treated those DQ3 lines.

ronito

You have to win 3 times. It actually isn't that difficult, because armor sets grant you a style bonus. For instance, the platinum armor set will give you a (50 point IIRC?) bonus, but it isn't reflected on the stat screen.

And I take it that it is required then?

Aeana

And I take it that it is required then?
Yes, you need the carpet to finish the game. I'm sure guides will list the various armor bonuses available, it shouldn't be hard at all to reach 220 needed to win it with stuff you mostly already have.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What exactly do you have to do on that tower in DQ2 where you're supposed to jump off? I have the mantle, but either I'm doing something wrong and I'm not getting far enough or I have to jump towards the northeast, which I'm not sure how I should do that.
I went back to Moonbrooke Castle to reread the hint about this, but it seems I could only read it once. At least I'm making a lot of money with how much I'm running around.

Edit: I was at the wrong tower........

Aeana

Finished up everything in DQ3. I'm always amused when a reflected attack from the blade armor kills the final boss.
I've always enjoyed the little extra bit they added to the remakes with King Zenith and Shinryuu.

Gonna play DQ4 now, but I need to decide which version to go with.

Ourobolus

Banned
Finished up everything in DQ3. I'm always amused when a reflected attack from the blade armor kills the final boss.
I've always enjoyed the little extra bit they added to the remakes with King Zenith and Shinryuu.

Gonna play DQ4 now, but I need to decide which version to go with.

Having completed both NES and DS versions, I vastly prefer the DS version. In all honesty there isn't anything wrong with the NES version, but everything feels a bit sped up in the DS game.

Aeana

Having completed both NES and DS versions, I vastly prefer the DS version. In all honesty there isn't anything wrong with the NES version, but everything feels a bit sped up in the DS game.
I've played every version many, many times and I like all of them for different reasons. Even the PSX version has some things about it I prefer over the others. I just have to figure out what I'm in the mood for, I guess.

I hated the english release of dq4 ds. The localization was a joke. The game felt like a neutered version of the playstation version

Aeana

I hated the english release of dq4 ds. The localization was a joke. The game felt like a neutered version of the playstation version

I didn't have a problem with the accents and stuff (in fact I actually rather like them), but in general I haven't been a fan of the excessive over-punning of location and character/boss names that's gone on after DQ8. "Dunplundrin'" is I think what really pushed me over the edge in DQ4 DS English. But there's plenty of other stuff, too. And this continued in all of the DQ releases afterward. Naming Lenule castle "Uptaten Tower" just so they could name the king of it "Count Uptaten" in DQ5 made me pretty upset, too. And don't get me started on DQ9. Jack of Alltrades, Master of Nu'un... really?

Top Bottom