• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

The accents were terrible yes, but I took more offense at the forced pop culture jokes that slaughtered the games atmosphere. DQ4 is a fantastic game with great humor as it is. It didnt need gimmicks like that.

Aeana

It's been a while since I played it in English, but I don't remember any pop culture jokes off the top of my head. Do you have any examples?

Taruranto

Question about DQIII books, what's their use? I mean, can I just use them to boost a stat or what? I'm kinda confused by the personalities thing.

I really want my mage to have more HP cause she keeps getting oneshotted at bosses. :/

Aeana

Question about DQIII books, what's their use? I mean, can I just use them to boost a stat or what? I'm kinda confused by the personalities thing.

I really want my mage to have more HP cause she keeps getting oneshotted at bosses. :/

They change the personality. Personalities determine your stat growth on level-up. If you want more HP, then you want to get something like the 'tough' or 'ironman' personalities. Here's a page with stat growth info for each personality type: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Dragon_Warrior_III/Personality

In general, the best personalities are lewd (male) and sexy (female) for the highest across-the-board stat growths. Frankly I think female characters have the better deal with sexy though.

Psxphile

They change the personality. Personalities determine your stat growth on level-up. If you want more HP, then you want to get something like the 'tough' or 'ironman' personalities. Here's a page with stat growth info for each personality type: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Dragon_Warrior_III/Personality

In general, the best personalities are lewd (male) and sexy (female) for the highest across-the-board stat growths. Frankly I think female characters have the better deal with sexy though.

This is why I always roll with an all-female party in the DQIII remakes.

Aeana

It's really strange and annoying that the overworld/dungeon music starts over after every battle in the DS version of DQ4, but it resumes where it left off after each battle in the PSX version. It'd be cool to have some sort of definitive remake version of DQ4 that has the immigrant town and music resuming from the PSX version and the party talk, graphics improvements, and monster idle animations from the DS version. Although the PSX version does have a couple of things it does better graphically than the DS version, like the water in towns is transparent.

Cheerilee

This is why I always roll with an all-female party in the DQIII remakes.

I thought the best strategy was to change classes while changing personalities to match.

Like... create a "Sharp" Wizard. 120% Agility and 140% Intelligence growth.

Eventually change class to a Warrior. Also change your personality to "Valiant", which comes with a 140% Strength modifier. As a Valiant-personality, your Agility and Intelligence growth now becomes penalized, but as a Warrior, your pathetic Agility and Intelligence could never have hoped to exceed the inherited stats that you hold as a legacy of your former life as a Sharp Wizard, so there's really no drawback. You just have to plan out career paths for your characters.

Since your Hero is a well-rounded class, and they can't change classes, it's generally best to cheat the personality test at the start of the game so that your Hero ends up as a Sexy Female Hero, with well-rounded stat bonuses.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It'd be cool to have some sort of definitive remake version of DQ4 that has the immigrant town and music resuming from the PSX version and the party talk, graphics improvements, and monster idle animations from the DS version.

How does the mobile version compare?

Aeana

I thought the best strategy was to change classes while changing personalities to match.

Like... create a "Sharp" Wizard. 120% Agility and 140% Intelligence growth.

Eventually change class to a Warrior. Also change your personality to "Valiant", which comes with a 140% Strength modifier. As a Valiant-personality, your Agility and Intelligence growth now becomes penalized, but as a Warrior, your pathetic Agility and Intelligence could never have hoped to exceed the inherited stats that you hold as a legacy of your former life as a Sharp Wizard, so there's really no drawback. You just have to plan out career paths for your characters.

Since your Hero is a well-rounded class, and they can't change classes, it's generally best to cheat the personality test at the start of the game so that your Hero ends up as a Sexy Female Hero, with well-rounded stat bonuses.

Even though the manual likes to suggest it, I don't personally see much reason to go magician -> warrior in the first place. I always do hero, priest->sage, magician->sage, thief->martial artist these days and leave it at that. It's more than enough for all of the content in the game. But I guess if you wanna have fun or exploit the stat system to get super high stats for whatever reason, you could do that.

How does the mobile version compare?

The smartphone version restarts the music too. And the music sounds worse (IMO) despite being based on the symphonic versions. Otherwise it's basically the same as the DS version, except that for the immigrant town you have to find more people for some reason. I didn't understand that change, because I felt that if they were going to make you find more people like the PSX version, they'd give you control over the town forms like the PSX version does, but they don't.

Aeana

Id the npc recruitment like the ds version kr the ps version

It's like the DS version, you just have to get more people, and the resulting town is always the same. You don't get to choose who you pick up like the PSX version and choose which form you end up with.

Teknoman

I'm thinking of sticking with Dragon Quest 1 and 2 on NES, just for the simple fact that I already own those two. Now Dragon Quest 3...even though i've got the GBC version, the SFC version looks and sounds sooo much better.

Aeana

DQ2 is the game in the series that I think benefits the absolute most from its remakes, because the balance of the original is so screwy.

Monsters are a bit easier, but XP is gained faster as well.

In any case, I'm not sure I'd ever want to do Cave to Rhone ever again.

Aeana

How so? Difficulty wise?
They increased the exp/gold gain rate, the princess learns kazing, they increased the strength of several pieces of equipment, and changed which equipment the prince of Samaltria can equip. They also raised the power of kasizzle and kaboom, added some items that weren't in the original, added a bank, and raised the item carry limit from 8 to 10 for each character.

graywords

They increased the exp/gold gain rate, the princess learns kazing, they increased the strength of several pieces of equipment, and changed which equipment the prince of Samaltria can equip. They also raised the power of kasizzle and kaboom, added some items that weren't in the original, added a bank, and raised the item carry limit from 8 to 10 for each character.

That is interesting to know. I remember vividly getting torn to pieces over and over again in Rhone on my DW2 NES cart as a kid. I don't remember encountering that when I replayed it on the SFC cart five years ago or so — annoying and frustrating, but I don't think there were any "Thou art dead." moments.

All Dragon Quest remakes do a really good job of going back and trying to fix difficulty balance issues in the originals. The Dragon Quest VII remake has meant way, way less grinding -- I only had to class grind a bit to beat HellCloud, mostly because
my main healer had just left the party.
It's not even just "make the game easier," more like "make it fair."

Aeana

All Dragon Quest remakes do a really good job of going back and trying to fix difficulty balance issues in the originals. The Dragon Quest VII remake has meant way, way less grinding -- I only had to class grind a bit to beat HellCloud, mostly because
my main healer had just left the party.
It's not even just "make the game easier," more like "make it fair."

Eh, well, even though they slightly reduced the number of battles needed for many of the classes to rank up, and spread abilities around a little better, they actually penalize grinding because the effective level (the maximum level you can be for battles in that area to 'count' for class progression) of every non-99 area was reduced. Pair that with the fact that, due to the visible enemies, you end up fighting a lot more than in the original and leveling up faster (ignoring the tablet dungeons which also augment experience if you do them), it actually becomes more difficult to bring up alternative classes in some cases. But yes, overall I'm pretty happy with the changes in DQ7 3DS, even if I do kinda miss hybrid skills.

The intermediate classes are only down slightly in # of battles needed, but beginner/base classes are like around half the number of battles to master them. Warrior for example was 130 in the original, only 78 in the remake. Fighter is down from 160 to master to 82 in the remake.

I feel like there are serious reductions in HP on a lot of monsters as well; I had way less trouble beating bosses even pre-Dharma.

I am not a fan of some of the gimped content in the 3ds remake. What they did to the fane at the beginning is depressing. And the scenes in Dilac being trincated is heartbreaking.

I still want the remake though.

The fane I can understand since it was just hours in the way of getting to the actual game. Some of the puzzles were kinda cool but not worth the time.

Pharaun

I didn't have a problem with the accents and stuff (in fact I actually rather like them), but in general I haven't been a fan of the excessive over-punning of location and character/boss names that's gone on after DQ8. "Dunplundrin'" is I think what really pushed me over the edge in DQ4 DS English. But there's plenty of other stuff, too. And this continued in all of the DQ releases afterward. Naming Lenule castle "Uptaten Tower" just so they could name the king of it "Count Uptaten" in DQ5 made me pretty upset, too. And don't get me started on DQ9. Jack of Alltrades, Master of Nu'un... really?

So what you're saying is that the liberties the translation team took compared to the original is punacceptable?

I'll see myself out.

The atmosphere and build up was perfect though. It did an amazing job of setting up the mood of the game. Now the pacing is weird

Jucksalbe

Banned
Something went very wrong here:

NTVAtWb.png

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ugh, I don't know. It seems slightly more stretched on my TV. You even made me take out my SFC to check how it looks there, but I couldn't see much difference. It's most noticable on the text, but of course the text is in Japanese on my SFC, so it looks very different anyway.
Oh well, I'll just remove that remark then, that wasn't the point of the screenshot anyway.

Aeana

I wonder if it's possible to get the cautery sword on your first day at work in chapter 3 of DQ4. I got it on my second customer on day 2 this time, which is probably the earliest I've ever gotten it.

I started DQ7 again. I don't know why.
Probably because it's awesome?!

Gloam

I wonder if it's possible to get the cautery sword on your first day at work in chapter 3 of DQ4. I got it on my second customer on day 2 this time, which is probably the earliest I've ever gotten it.

Are you going through the whole series at the moment?

You know what is a pain in the asses. Saving money from working in order to get the sword

Aeana

You know what is a pain in the asses. Saving money from working in order to get the sword
Working in Lakanaba? I never bother doing that. Once someone sells me the cautery sword, I go out and continue as normal. Go grab the chain sickle from the northern dungeon, then go free the dude in jail at the southern castle and take his dog to sniff out the foxes and get the suit of plate armo for free there. On top of that armor, enemies like to drop iron armor, and selling that stuff to the the guy in the castle for high markup should get you enough to buy the sword right away. I got 2 iron armor drops from enemies before I got there, so that worked out really nicely.

Are you going through the whole series at the moment?

I guess it's kinda turned into that. It wasn't my intention, but I'm in a DQ mood at the moment.

Aeana

I'm just waiting for the all-in-one package to come out before I return to DQ10. I can't remember what day it is but I know it's some time in August.

Probably because it's awesome?!

I tried playing it on PSP a few years back, but I got stuck when I got under water. I also tried to avoid levelling almost completely until I got to Dharma and that made the early stage of the game more unpleasant.

I wanted an RPG to play on emulator that I could play one handed, because I come home and my dog wants met to pet him but I want to play games. RPGs are about all I can manage to play. Also with E3 coming and going and no announcement of DQ7 on 3DS in NA made this a good time. That and the melancholy nature of the game kind of fits with my current mood.

Teknoman

Might as well ask, how is Torneko? I've been getting into roguelikes more and more with Shiren and Chocobo. Kinda wish Yangus made it here.

yayaba

How import friendly is Rocket Slime 3? I loved the 2nd Rocket Slime and really wish SE would localize the 3rd but at this point I've lost all hope.

yayaba

I don't know anything about the game, but just to make sure: You do have a Japanese 3DS?

I don't but it's an option down the line in the future if SE never gets around to localizing it.

I guess a pertinent question would be if the game is even worth it i.e. just as good or better than the 2nd?

Aeana

DQ4 all done. I really wanna go through DQ6 next, I'll see what's going on and whether it's feasible for me to do so tomorrow.

Gloam

DQ4 all done. I really wanna go through DQ6 next, I'll see what's going on and whether it's feasible for me to do so tomorrow.

I'm excited by this because VII comes after VI, I'm interested to see you blow through that one in a couple of days as well! Reach for the stars!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The accents were terrible yes, but I took more offense at the forced pop culture jokes that slaughtered the games atmosphere. DQ4 is a fantastic game with great humor as it is. It didnt need gimmicks like that.
Every time I play a DQ game these horrendous accents, puns and references really kill the experience for me. I wish they just did a straight translation.

Top Bottom