• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Psxphile

I remember having some issues with DQ2 SFC+patch. I forget if it was an emulator thing (I might have still been using shitty ZSNES at the time) or an issue with the game itself. All I remember was that I lost progress somehow and that soured me on that run.
Some emulators don't update the SRAM immediately after saving in-game, but within the next 5-10 seconds. Others only update after exiting to the GUI or closing the application.

I've lost my share of game progress due to these factors.

Vamphuntr

I'm using 2x Gladiator and 2x Sage in my main team. Battles are over quickly so I guess that's a good thing. I just got the floodgate key. Anyone actually use the slimes in their party? In my first playthrough I didn't bother and after seeing the low levels they are when they join I'm not really excited to use them.

Aeana

Love the ship music in DQ6 so much.

Today, I managed to get Mireille and ride the boat to Other Reidock. For kicks I've been glancing at a playthrough of the DS version on YouTube off and on and it just reaffirms to me how much better the SFC version is.

Jucksalbe

Banned
After I finally properly played Dragon Quest III, I plan to give the SFC version of DQ6 a chance, too. I hope you're right about it, since I was a bit disappointed with the DS version. But then again, you were right about the Famicom version of FF3 as well.

In DQ2, I'm still trying to get to the final boss, I'm constantly dying on the way, the enemy encounters here are brutal. Some of them can be made easier with status spells, but there seem to be some fixed encounters in the castle and those enemies don't seem to react to stuff like Surround or Stopspell. But at least I'm gaining a few levels on the way and resurrecting and healing is free at the final temple.

Krammy

I found it interesting that people were saying the Dragon Quest VI port was so bad in the LTTP thread, as it was my first experience with the game. If I remember correctly, Dragon Quest VI on Super Nintendo used the same engine that would be used later for the Dragon Quest III remake correct? How is the enemy art in Dragon Quest VI on Super Nintedo? Is it comparable to the port of Dragon Quest III? I feel like it coming out first was sort of a transition period between the two styles, and that not everything will look as good as it did in III.

EDIT: Just did some sleuthing on the subject and yeah, the in-battle backgrounds and enemies are definitely not as good as Dragon Quest III, but obviously better than Dragon Quest IV and V. I guess compared to all the benefits the game apparently holds over the DS version, it's worth checking out anyway.

It's a shame the fan translation of VI was never completed. We were happy to have it back in 2001, it's just a pity we can't play a version that isn't game breakingly glitchy and incomplete.

Aeana

Oh, I didn't know the fan translation had problems. Is it that bad?
It's completable. There's some lines in the shop dialog that display garbage, and you can't see how much gold you have unless you go to a store. It's niggling issues but they are present.

EDIT: Oh right I forgot, you can't go to status->all or go backward through tactics->equip or the game freezes. Still, I played through that patch a couple of times, and I'd still recommend it over the DS version. I do usually play in Japanese though, personally.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I swear this fan translation/ROM always finds new bugs to annoy me. I just killed the final boss and on my way back one dialogue got stuck in an endless loop.

Ys6kBKA.png

The text just goes on and on, no matter what I do. I created a savestate, hopefully I can continue my game in a different emulator or something. The final boss fight was pretty close, I really don't want to repeat it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finished Dragon Quest 2 (SFC version)! Final party was level 29/27/22 if anyone cares.

Overall I really liked the game. It's very similar to the first one just on a bigger scale. In the first Dragon Quest you had this island to explore, now it's a whole world. But you still have to find the right clues to find what you need to somehow get to the final boss. And I really like that. From the moment you get the ship you're free to go whereever you want. Today it's a really liberating feeling not to have an arrow pointing to your next destination at all times. There's no quest book to keep track of all the clues and to point you in the right direction, you have to figure it out yourself and that's actually how it should be. Just make sure to take notes from time to time because I sure didn't and sometimes had to sail around the whole world just to find the right person that gave me that one clue because I couldn't remember the specifics of that clue. I didn't like the hiding places of some items (like the Sun Crest and Dew's Yarn), though and especially the hint for the Sun Crest wasn't really helpful.

There's two things about this game I would do to improve it, though: First the game should have a Zoom spell and second there shouldn't be enemy encounters while sailing. I guess just having one of those changes would already fix the other.

I have to say a few things about the fan translation. There are actually two versions of it, a "Dragon Warrior" version that keeps the names from the original translation and a "Dragon Quest" version that's supposedly closer to the Japanese original. I played the latter, but I really wouldn't recommend doing that. It's a buggy mess. The worst of them all is that endless loop I posted about above, so if you're unlucky you can actually get stuck in the ending. Even after that point there are lines completely missing, some characters retain their old lines instead of new ones, etc. Aside from that I encountered a duplicated character which can screw up your party if you talk to him, messed up prices at an inn, lines missing, lines overlapping and a lot more stuff. I only used the "Dragon Warrior" version to get through the ending, so I can't really say if it's that much better but at least I could finish the game with it. But even in that short time I saw messed up text placement and some awkward translations.
There's no other translation for the SFC version, so there's no alternative if you want to play this in English, just be prepared for a very messy patch. For its final "fuck you" the patch crashed my emulator on the ending screen. It seemed like a fiiting end.

Now the next DQ game I want to play is the SFC version of DQ III, which would be the last mainline DQ game (apart from X) that I still haven't finished. But I'll probably play something else first.

SunGod

So at the beginning of June I played the very first Dragon Quest game for the first time, fast forward to the beginning of August and I'm nearing the end of Dragon Quest VI! I love this series :) I played VIII years ago when it came out on the PS2 but never followed up on the series (despite being a huge JRPG and in particular FF fan)

I played the SFC versions of DQI-III and the DS versions of IV-VI but it seems the PS2 version of V and SFC version of VI are superior? (especially from the last few posts in this thread) what exactly makes them better?

I can see myself replaying III, V and VI in the future so I wouldn't mind trying other versions, would anyone recommend I give the other versions of III a chance, or is the SFC version the best one?

I plan on skipping VII and VIII now and going straight to IX (I'm still stupidly holding out some hope of the 3DS version of VII coming out here, but the longer it takes the more inclined I am to start the PS1 version!)

Krammy

Congrats SunGod on (re)discovering the series!

I can see myself replaying III, V and VI in the future so I wouldn't mind trying other versions, would anyone recommend I give the other versions of III a chance, or is the SFC version the best one?
I highly recommend the Game Boy Colour version of Dragon Quest III. It's a port of the Super Nintendo game but I believe they added to it (monster medals).
tumblr_inline_n0lxykWCA61ri065t.gif

I plan on skipping VII and VIII now and going straight to IX (I'm still stupidly holding out some hope of the 3DS version of VII coming out here, but the longer it takes the more inclined I am to start the PS1 version!)
Don't wait around, play through VII on the PlayStation, from what I heard in the LTTP thread, the 3DS version isn't without it's faults. If it does release in the West at some point, it'll be nice to try out the 3DS version then. Dragon Quest IX is great but it's a annoying that Legacy bosses and some nifty armour sets were locked behind DLC that can't be obtained anymore (without a copy from someone who has it already).

I swear this fan translation/ROM always finds new bugs to annoy me. I just killed the final boss and on my way back one dialogue got stuck in an endless loop.

Ys6kBKA.png

The text just goes on and on, no matter what I do. I created a savestate, hopefully I can continue my game in a different emulator or something. The final boss fight was pretty close, I really don't want to repeat it.

It might just be you ripping from the Wii collection. If you ever decide to play it again, the SFC version can be had for $10 easily on ebay.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It wasn't. I tried it on a ROM from the SFC version, it had the same problem, I only got past this by using the other version of the patch.
I already own the SFC version, btw., I just took the one from the Wii collection because I have no way to actually rip SFC games myself.

SunGod

Congrats SunGod on (re)discovering the series!

I highly recommend the Game Boy Colour version of Dragon Quest III. It's a port of the Super Nintendo game but I believe they added to it (monster medals).

Thanks! and okay, next time I play the game I'll play the GBC version, thanks for that!

Don't wait around, play through VII on the PlayStation, from what I heard in the LTTP thread, the 3DS version isn't without it's faults. If it does release in the West at some point, it'll be nice to try out the 3DS version then. Dragon Quest IX is great but it's a annoying that Legacy bosses and some nifty armour sets were locked behind DLC that can't be obtained anymore (without a copy from someone who has it already).

Oh okay, any glaring problems with the 3DS version? (just out of interest) I'll probably play VII after IX then (I hear it's the longest in the series so I'm going to save it for last haha)

I'll have to skip that specific extra content in that case, although a friend may have it unlocked... I'll have to ask and find out.

Also, "Dargon" Quest IV is out for iOS tomorrow: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/dargon-quest-iv/id847381935

Very much so. Mostly because you can control your party now in chapter 5, but also because enemies are weaker and you walk much faster

Aeana

I'm reasonably sure that it should be possible to extract the party chat from the iOS version and put it into the DS version. Would be an interesting project to take on if Tom Servo doesn't do it.

I'm reasonably sure that it should be possible to extract the party chat from the iOS version and put it into the DS version. Would be an interesting project to take on if Tom Servo doesn't do it.

Wonder if they'll transplant the diluted accents, too?

What exactly about DQVI DS was so poor, besides the music? Personally I really enjoyed DQVI, and it fights for 2nd favorite DQ along with VIII (and after V). Was it the battle system changes?

I love DQVI. I love its stories, I love its characters. Its music is wonderful.

I do not like the DS version though.

The biggest offender is that it is really the fact it's a gimped version. Rather than adding content, they removed content. The monster tamer class really suffered from this, as it's biggest feature was removed

Aeana

For me it was the pacing. Most scenarios were over before you could even care about them.
This is one of the main things for me. Everything is over so fast in the DS version, you don't get time to appreciate everything.

I also really don't like how, just like in DQ5 DS, all of the unique NPC designs are missing. And the music sounds much worse than the SFC version. Not to mention the beastmaster change.

Hitoshi Sakimoto not arranging the soundtrack probably was a huge blow to how great the music was in game. DQVI is the ONE game in the series that sounds better in SFC than it does orchestrated. At least certain tracks, like the Dream world theme, the battle themes and the tower theme.

What exactly about DQVI DS was so poor, besides the music? Personally I really enjoyed DQVI, and it fights for 2nd favorite DQ along with VIII (and after V). Was it the battle system changes?

I think I already said this earlier in this thread but I prefer the DS version's music in just about every track. DQVI was already in my top 3 favourite soundtrack in the series but I really loved the arrangement in the DS version. It sounds more like the Symphonic Suite which is the energy and charm that I prefer in DQ music. The SFC version sounds more subdued. It's pretty much the same reason that I prefer the music in DQIV DS to DQIV PS1. I think I might represent the minority on that though.

DQVI DS is just a more refined version of DQVI to me. I know the scenario moves at a faster clip than the original but with the addition of party chat, they still feel fuller and meatier. The battle system is much, much better presented as well. Better sprites, better pacing, much better/faster animations. The interface is also much improved in general. The SFC game is really slow in comparison. Now it falls short as a remake because there's really nothing new to it, but it's a really good enhanced port! :p

Incidentally I finally got my brother to play DQVI (been trying for two years!) and I specifically asked him about the scenario pacing. He seems to like all of the scenarios and the rate at which they unfold so I think it's just a subjective thing. His favourite DQ games are still DQVIII and V, though.

SunGod

For me it was the pacing. Most scenarios were over before you could even care about them.

This is one of the main things for me. Everything is over so fast in the DS version, you don't get time to appreciate everything.

I just finished the DS version and it was the first version of the game I played... what makes everything unfold faster than in the original? Has dialogue been removed/changed? Or is it the general game speed?

Vamphuntr

That stealth part was so awful it almost made me quit the game. I'm in no mood for terrible annoyances right now. I have the ultimate key at least now and half of the mini medals.

I just finished the DS version and it was the first version of the game I played... what makes everything unfold faster than in the original? Has dialogue been removed/changed? Or is it the general game speed?

You move faster and the map is smaller (all the DS DQ remakes have smaller maps).

That stealth part was so awful it almost made me quit the game. I'm in no mood for terrible annoyances right now. I have the ultimate key at least now and half of the mini medals.
Yeah this is one the few things I consider worse in the remake - it's really annoying
along with undersea exploration

Aeana

I think I already said this earlier in this thread but I prefer the DS version's music in just about every track. DQVI was already in my top 3 favourite soundtrack in the series but I really loved the arrangement in the DS version. It sounds more like the Symphonic Suite which is the energy and charm that I prefer in DQ music. The SFC version sounds more subdued. It's pretty much the same reason that I prefer the music in DQIV DS to DQIV PS1. I think I might represent the minority on that though.

DQVI DS is just a more refined version of DQVI to me. I know the scenario moves at a faster clip than the original but with the addition of party chat, they still feel fuller and meatier. The battle system is much, much better presented as well. Better sprites, better pacing, much better/faster animations. The interface is also much improved in general. The SFC game is really slow in comparison. Now it falls short as a remake because there's really nothing new to it, but it's a really good enhanced port! :p

Incidentally I finally got my brother to play DQVI (been trying for two years!) and I specifically asked him about the scenario pacing. He seems to like all of the scenarios and the rate at which they unfold so I think it's just a subjective thing. His favourite DQ games are still DQVIII and V, though.
I prefer DQ4 DS's music to the PSX version's because I like how "crunchy" it sounds. However, I feel that the DS arrangements of DQ6 just don't retain the unique sound that makes DQ6 sound so interesting. There's a lot of sounds used in the SFC version of DQ6 that are not orchestral instruments, and that's one of the things that makes it stand out. DQ6 DS is just an excercise in homogenization, and that's why I hate it. It removes absolutely everything unique about the game and makes it just like a bunch of other games in the series. That goes for music, sprites, backgrounds, and everything else.

Oh wow, is that true for the PS1 version of IV and the PS2 version of V too?
No.

Aeana

Man, the part where you have to follow Rob through the cave in Pescani is so much simpler in the SFC version.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SFC versus DS on DQ VI

Music: DS
Graphics: SFC
Game Play: DS
Translation: DS (The SFC fanslation has problems)
Overall: DS.

How is the gameplay better on the DS? The rebalancing makes job leveling actually harder, and in general it's a gimped version

Aeana

Well, the interface is better on DS. Not being able to use items from the bag in the SFC version and the way it cancels out after you move items is quite a drag. Battles can be a bit faster on DS on the highest setting, too.

I will never, ever, ever, ever go along with the idea of the music being better on DS though. You guys are crazy.

I prefer DQ4 DS's music to the PSX version's because I like how "crunchy" it sounds. However, I feel that the DS arrangements of DQ6 just don't retain the unique sound that makes DQ6 sound so interesting. There's a lot of sounds used in the SFC version of DQ6 that are not orchestral instruments, and that's one of the things that makes it stand out. DQ6 DS is just an excercise in homogenization, and that's why I hate it. It removes absolutely everything unique about the game and makes it just like a bunch of other games in the series. That goes for music, sprites, backgrounds, and everything else.
I can agree with that. I remember being extremely disappointed when it was first revealed because I expected Square-Enix to treat DQVI like a proper remake, but instead they treated it just like they did DQIV/V DS which were ports of the actual remakes. DQVI deserves a remake treatment like the other games in the series; they have a chance to redeem themselves with the iOS version but we all know it'll just be a port of the DS version ;_;

DQIV and V aren't ports of remakes. IV looks visually similar to the PSX version, but is actually rebuilt from the ground up. Plus they at least changed the bonus dungeon so that it was no longer just re-used DQVII maps

V is based on the PS2 version, but obviously isn't the same. Plus they added a new character, who is awesome

Man God

Non-Canon Member
How is the gameplay better on the DS? The rebalancing makes job leveling actually harder, and in general it's a gimped version

Well, the interface is better on DS. Not being able to use items from the bag in the SFC version and the way it cancels out after you move items is quite a drag. Battles can be a bit faster on DS on the highest setting, too.

Aeana pretty much answered it for me. Big quality of play improvements here.

DQIV and V aren't ports of remakes. IV looks visually similar to the PSX version, but is actually rebuilt from the ground up. Plus they at least changed the bonus dungeon so that it was no longer just re-used DQVII maps

V is based on the PS2 version, but obviously isn't the same. Plus they added a new character, who is awesome

Yeah I'm aware of that. I just used "port" as an umbrella term since they're essentially second 'remakes' heavily based on the actual remakes, just like the GBC DQ games. IV DS also added idle animations iirc which wasn't in the PSX version and there are numerous little graphical details that are different.

V DS also, I believe added a couple of new recruitable monsters.

But yeah my point was that the new additions/changes in VI DS are more comparable to second 'remake' efforts than the first remake efforts which are usually much more substantial.

I see your point. Usually with DQ remakes, they do a good job of adding new content. DQVI didnt really add anything except a half assed streetpass feature and party chat (which is always welcome).

Vamphuntr

Jobs mastery is so slow. I'm in the dread realm and I still haven't unlock the Hero class T.T

Is it worth it to exchange 300000 tokens for the Flail of Destruction, GAF? I have 250000 right now and I'm wondering if I should keep playing at the casino.

Top Bottom