• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Did anybody give DQIV on iOS a shot? I've got my untouched DS copy sitting here, but I actually didn't know about the missing party chat. I'm starting to think it might be worth re-purchasing.

KiTA

New Dragon Quest spinoff game for PS4 announced at TGS today. "Dragon Quest Heroes." Looks like Dynasty Warriors with a DQ theme.

I wasn't impressed, but at least it's not DQ11.

Edit: Before that becomes a scandalous comment, here's what I meant -- if they had announced DQ11 was an Action RPG Musou game, I think there would be riots in the streets over there. :p

Aeana

I don't like Musou games.

...I've never liked them. Um. Well. I guess I'll see if this is something I'd like to try.

KiTA

I don't like Musou games.

...I've never liked them. Um. Well. I guess I'll see if this is something I'd like to try.

I was a bit worried when I heard that theme (only took me 3 bars to recognize it this time, new record), but then I realized it was obviously a Musou game and completely lost interest.

I won't lie -- what I saw... I wasn't really impressed with. I'm hoping they have a trailer up on Youtube soon.

Touhou on the PS4 was far more megaton. They must have paid Zun an absolute crapload to get him to sell out.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Musou games are great, so I have nothing to complain about. But I also wasn't watching the stream, so I didn't really expect that fall from DQXI expectations to spinoff, so I've got nothing to complain about.
Now I need to find the logo for the game and add it to the OP.

Aeana

I never for a minute thought it would be DQ11. DQ11 would get its own event, it wouldn't be announced at someone else's stage show.

KiTA

I never for a minute thought it would be DQ11. DQ11 would get its own event, it wouldn't be announced at someone else's stage show.

Hm, you're probably right about that. Although FF15 was announced at E3... has FF fallen so far that it wouldn't get it's own event nowadays?

I had hopes that DQH being shown for PS4 at TGS might suggest that DQ11 is for another platform, but with DQ11 likely to get it's own event, well... Ugh.

I know Horii mentioned home consoles, which means WiiU or PS4, but in my heart I'm still holding out for 3DS (or WiiU) -- since the only way we'll be seeing it is if Nintendo foots the bill. =/

That's cool, but I'm not feeling the maintaining of the "thou" localization of the NES version. If they at least used the GBC script as a base, that would have been fine.

Ah well, at least it's the first official release of the SNES-type version of the game, so that's something.

That's cool, but I'm not feeling the maintaining of the "thou" localization of the NES version. If they at least used the GBC script as a base, that would have been fine.

Ah well, at least it's the first official release of the SNES-type version of the game, so that's something.

The Plus Alpha translation of Fortune Street had Dragonlord using Shakespearean English so there's a little bit of consistency there. The real question is if Dragon Quest II will also use Shakespearean English.

ultra7k

They kept that in the iOS port? Sweet. I always felt that playing it as a kid always gave me a leg up in high school when it came to early modern English and Shakespeare haha.

Gloam

2 should, 3 most likely will not for most of the game. I expect that those involved know what they're doing.

I believe Shloc were credited in the Japanese version of DQ1, so you're certainly right about the game being in good hands.

Aeana

There's some misinformation going around about it being the "same" translation as the NES version. I pointed out in the thread in the gaming forum, but I'll say it here too: it's retranslated, just using the familiar style.

I believe Shloc were credited in the Japanese version of DQ1, so you're certainly right about the game being in good hands.
Yes, Oli Chance et al worked on the game from what I know. For those who don't know, they also worked on Ni no Kuni.

I'll definitely be grabbing this tonight, alongside 2/3 whenever they hit. Not realizing that this series existed outside of Nintendo Power previews when the GBC versions hit has been haunting me for years.

Noted on the retranslation piece for DQ1. I still think the "thou must" style is a little tacky, but on the other hand, I might just be getting my just desserts for being cool with Ragnar and Alena's parts in DQ4 when most people hated the accents.

Gloam

DQ1 Android spoilers:

It's weird that the
flute
is
sparkling
on the ground in this version of the game. Maybe it was in the GBC version as well but was just harder to see? Anyway having a good time made the bus journey in and outta town fly by!

Aeana

DQ1 Android spoilers:

It's weird that the
flute
is
sparkling
on the ground in this version of the game. Maybe it was in the GBC version as well but was just harder to see? Anyway having a good time made the bus journey in and outta town fly by!
It's the philosophy of DQ remakes these days (DS versions) to sparkle hidden items, even if it subverts an entire portion of the game like it does here.

Noted on the retranslation piece for DQ1. I still think the "thou must" style is a little tacky, but on the other hand, I might just be getting my just desserts for being cool with Ragnar and Alena's parts in DQ4 when most people hated the accents.
"Dost thou love me?"
> No
"But thou must!"

is as important to Dragon Warrior fans as "you spoony bard!" is to FF4 fans. If one gets to stay, so should the other!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
DQ1 Android spoilers:

It's weird that the
flute
is
sparkling

It's the philosophy of DQ remakes these days (DS versions) to sparkle hidden items, even if it subverts an entire portion of the game like it does here.
They do that now? I just played through the entirety (And maxed my player out at 65536XP and level 30 just for the final battle) and it didn't sparkle. I knew the area it was in though so I just kept searching. I assume that means the
armor
in
Hauksness
is also sparkling too. Actually, what do they call the towns in this one? In the SFC translation I played, they were all translated from the Japanese names. But I was used to the US names.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm lukewarm on these mobile game ports, but then I just realized how great a good port of DQ3 would be on the go.
I hope DQIII when it finally comes will be modeled after the IV engine. It's just too damn good looking. V, VI and VII need to use that engine too. Shame they couldn't give I and II the engine as well.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Playing the iPhone version of Dragon Quest just makes me want to dig out by GBC and play that version.

Aeana

I hope DQIII when it finally comes will be modeled after the IV engine. It's just too damn good looking. V, VI and VII need to use that engine too. Shame they couldn't give I and II the engine as well.
It won't be. 1-3 smartphone are modeled after the old mobile ports.
5 and 6 will be based on the DS versions, for sure. 7 is a wildcard, but they said very recently that it's being held up anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It won't be. 1-3 smartphone are modeled after the old mobile ports.
5 and 6 will be based on the DS versions, for sure. 7 is a wildcard, but they said very recently that it's being held up anyway.
What was IV based on? It doesn't look like it'd be strictly a DS version visually. Or was it? What did the DS V and VI versions look like? Any better? Because IV already looks amazing on iOS.

Aeana

What was IV based on? It doesn't look like it'd be strictly a DS version visually. Or was it? What did the DS V and VI versions look like? Any better? Because IV already looks amazing on iOS.
Yes, 4 is based on the DS version.
5 and 6 DS look exactly the same as 4 DS. (They used a lot of the same assets)

ultra7k

If I recall correctly, in the NES version of Dragon Warrior, the Hero doesn't display a shield until he equips one.

In the iOS port, he's got a shield regardless.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes, 4 is based on the DS version.
5 and 6 DS look exactly the same as 4 DS. (They used a lot of the same assets)
Cool then. Shame about the first 3 being so bad looking. They could have just hired someone to make some higher resolution sprites (32 pixels instead of 16 pixels wide) that would be scaled down with linear scaling instead of blocky 16 pixel sprites being scaled up with nearest neighbor scaling. Not something that couldn't be done with an update. Shame they won't do it. At the very least they should have bumped up the contrast for sprites and collision blocks because I currently find it hard to make out where I am and the walls are in towns because they're so detailed.

If I recall correctly, in the NES version of Dragon Warrior, the Hero doesn't display a shield until he equips one.

In the iOS port, he's got a shield regardless.
It does this in the SFC port too. I bet it's also in the GBC version. I guess somehow they forgot this detail when they ported it to the SFC originally and it just stuck since then. (I just tested it myself.) Not only the shield, but the sword too.

It does this in the SFC port too. I bet it's also in the GBC version. I guess somehow they forgot this detail when they ported it to the SFC originally and it just stuck since then. (I just tested it myself.) Not only the shield, but the sword too.

You start with no shield on the sprite in the GBC version:

gfs_43831_2_2.jpg

I actually really like the GBC version of DW1. It's made really easy in all the right ways, the quicksave is handy, and I like the way it looks -- like a demake of the SNES version.

You start with no shield on the sprite in the GBC version:

gfs_43831_2_2.jpg

I actually really like the GBC version of DW1. It's made really easy in all the right ways, the quicksave is handy, and I like the way it looks -- like a demake of the SNES version.

I rather the Mobile port looking like the Gbc games too.

Wonder what will be the next title. If it's DQ5 I want it to be based on the ps2 version, it will cause me and a lot of other people to double dip. It will also cost more I think as it look more expensive like DQ8.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm sorry, guys, but I'd rather the mobile port not look like the GBC port. It's way too plain and ugly. The SFC version is far superior. All they needed to do was take the 16x16 sprites and redraw them at 32x32 so they'd look better scaled down rather than ugly scaled up. Unfortunately they didn't, but I still wouldn't trade it for that GBC version. The GBC tiles would still look ugly scaled up like this.

Psxphile

4HWb4eL.png

Yeah, SFC version was looking pretty decent already. Giving the DQI mobile remake DQIII's graphics is normally a good thing and would be applauded, but not when its pixels get crushed and warped into a distorted mess.

You have to give the GBC version props for looking as good as it does, though:

H0gLeC0.jpg

fBIGqvM.jpg

Did the other versions even get the cute little cinematics from GBC?

Cheerilee

Is the puff puff message in Ashalam done by the dad or did he walk in?

For reference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgzgzZBqWzQ#t=60

- A puff puff is a boobs-on-face sexy massage.
- Dad says you should stay away from his daughter.
- Girl on street offers a puff puff.
- Follow her to her house, dad's in the other room. Lights go out.
- Mid-puff puff, dad's voice claims credit for the puff puff. Yikes.
- Lights turn on, and girl is mad at dad for spoiling her fun.

So the question is, did the girl lure the player into getting a puff puff from her large-chested father, and get mad at him for opening his mouth too early? Or does the dad know that his little girl is giving it away on the street, and rather than breaking heads, he throws a wet blanket on the situation by saying creepy things?

I think it's the second, because the dad warns you away from his daughter, which would fit with him being a disapproving dad, not a creepy participant, and after the deed, the girl seems concerned with the effectiveness of the interrupted puff puff, not with you finding out that you were the victim of a ruse.

Although the fan-translation doesn't make it clear. Maybe as a third option, it was never supposed to be clear?

Taruranto

Came back on DQIII after Xillia 2, did the Pyramid, got the ship, got like 3-4 orbs. Definitely enjoying this part of the game more than the beginning (kinda slugged through it), although I'm kinda going at random. :p

Taruranto

Wops, looks like Baramos' Caste is kicking my ass x-x. Enemies do so much damage.

Time to grind with some metal slimes, I guess. Didn't really make use of the class system btw, I switched my mage to sage, but that's it.

Psxphile

Reading up on DQIII on various wikis has reminded me that a GBC version of DQIV was actually in development before Enix switched gears and developed it for PS1 using the DQVII engine instead. DQIV Monster medals can be found hidden away within DQIII's data, because they were meant to be link-traded across the two games. Some interesting trivia for you Dragon Quest GBC lovers.

Aeana

So I am replaying DQ 4 on Android and I have forgotten how to do the money trick in chapter 3. What should I do to get filthy rich?
First order of business is the man the shop in Lakanaba until someone sells you a cautery sword, then you can knock off for the day and the shop will keep that in its inventory for you to buy it later on. From there, the first thing you'll be doing to start raising money is selling armor to the guy in Ballymoral castle. The amount offered is random, you can usually get much more than it's worth if you're patient. Buying armor from Endor and selling it at Ballymoral will be your main way of making money until you do everything you need to open up your own shop in Endor, at which point Torneko's wife will sell everything for lots of money. The best use of your effort then is to go buy cautery swords and give them to her to sell, rest, and get the money from her the next day. Repeat this until you've filled your bags with as many cautery swords as you like so you can sell them off in chapter 5 for lots of money.

First order of business is the man the shop in Lakanaba until someone sells you a cautery sword, then you can knock off for the day and the shop will keep that in its inventory for you to buy it later on. From there, the first thing you'll be doing to start raising money is selling armor to the guy in Ballymoral castle. The amount offered is random, you can usually get much more than it's worth if you're patient. Buying armor from Endor and selling it at Ballymoral will be your main way of making money until you do everything you need to open up your own shop in Endor, at which point Torneko's wife will sell everything for lots of money. The best use of your effort then is to go buy cautery swords and give them to her to sell, rest, and get the money from her the next day. Repeat this until you've filled your bags with as many cautery swords as you like so you can sell them off in chapter 5 for lots of money.

Thanks! I remember having little patience and skipped doing this for most of my DS runs years ago. Should be fun doing this while on the bus to make chapter 5 broken lol.

So I finished my first play through of DQI yesterday, and it was fantastic. There is something really charming about the simplicity of it. I played the SFC version, and I'm glad I choose that version over the original. I don't mind some grinding, but from what I've read the NES version would have been a little much for me. I tried to not use any guides or walkthroughs, and I'm happy I mostly stuck to that. Overall it was a really enjoyable, and I can see myself replaying it every once in a while. It makes me wish there were more shorter rpgs. Sometimes I just don't want to commit myself to 40+ hours of a game. Now on to DQII!!

Square2015

I'm in love with my DQVI repro on my SNES, it's one of my favorite games now! The graphics are so cute from that era (late SNES) this game is so charming. It's underrated compared to the others (only a 8.1 on gameFAQs), the SNES version is better than the DS, I have both. Thank God for repro carts!

I'm up to the final boss, what's the best place to grind? Just outside his tower (in the final dungeon)?
...that's what I've been using. My characters are bw level 41-44 and I've almost mastered "Hero" and about to begin "superstar".

I'm thinking about getting DQIII Remix for my SNES...even tho I have DQIII GBC, the graphics, feel, and charm of the games from the latter half of the 16-bit era are just irresistible.

Taruranto

YH45mky.jpg

Alright, this was fun.

Now that I'm finally done with all the mainline games, I want to delve into some remakes/original, mainly PS2 DQV and SNES DQVI.

Top Bottom