• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

turnbuckle

Just jumping in to say (I'm sure it's already been mentioned) that Dragon Quest I for Android is...awful. I was just playing it on my brand new Note 4 and got my refund (only $3, but the game isn't worth that).

The game feels surprisingly choppy
The controls are just awful. Very very difficult to move precisely.
But the worst thing of all - the game's menu button doesn't work at all. Clicking on it just behaves as if you were clicking anywhere else on the screen. Can't access items, look at stats, or anything.

I really want to play DQ II but wanted to start with the first one again. It's a very simple game but I always loved playing...but not like this.

There are parts of DQ II that require you to have better control of your party on the map/in towers and I just don't think I can do it.

:(

Psxphile

Control isn't perfect, agreed... but I never experienced what you just described. And I'm playing on a Samsung Galaxy SIII. No choppiness from what I can tell, and no menu shenanigans.

turnbuckle

Control isn't perfect, agreed... but I never experienced what you just described. And I'm playing on a Samsung Galaxy SIII. No choppiness from what I can tell, and no menu shenanigans.

Seems like it's not necessarily android but certain android phones having the problem. I have it on the Note 4 and reading that people with the LG G3 are also having them. Weird.

Replaying DQ7 now, and I keep getting wiped out in the Gracos cave from those bombs that hit multiple targets. I don't remember having any difficulty with this cave on my first playthrough. Any suggestions?

Aeana

Replaying DQ7 now, and I keep getting wiped out in the Gracos cave from those bombs that hit multiple targets. I don't remember having any difficulty with this cave on my first playthrough. Any suggestions?
Never leave bomb rocks alone. They won't explode as long as there are other enemies, usually.

Gloam

Yeah, the main storyline is done, but a lot of optional text, like revisiting old towns after you finish them, isn't translated.

Aye, I remember playing it many years ago and running into a few hurdles here and there. Sure is a pretty game though, would be worth a play through of the SFC version for the graphics alone.

Seems like it's not necessarily android but certain android phones having the problem. I have it on the Note 4 and reading that people with the LG G3 are also having them. Weird.

That's too bad, I just finished DQ2 on my iPhone over the weekend. The only issue I had was that stupid audio crash bug.

Now that I beat Trails in the Sky and SMT4, I'm turning back to my DS backlog. DQ9 is first on my list, since I'm only a couple bosses away from finishing the game. I actually wound up almost never class changing, except for a decent stint for everyone around the 60% mark, so my characters aren't as strong as they could be. Still, I'm sure I should be able to at least survive the final boss fights, and then dive into class customization for the grottos and such. Everyone's at level 40-42.

So today I learned that the skimpy swimsuit reward in La Mulana is actually a reference to Dragon Quest 2 on the MSX. Apperently if the princess talked to one of the kings while fully unequipped, she got a bikini that when examined, showed a similar image.

DQ's never exactly been pure with the bunny girls and such, but this just feels like I caught someone I admire having sex or something.

Cheerilee

So today I learned that the skimpy swimsuit reward in La Mulana is actually a reference to Dragon Quest 2 on the MSX. Apperently if the princess talked to one of the kings while fully unequipped, she got a bikini that when examined, showed a similar image.

DQ's never exactly been pure with the bunny girls and such, but this just feels like I caught someone I admire having sex or something.

Could've been worse. You might have actually caught the Princess having sex. The MSX audience was kind of lewd. Enix decided to meet them halfway.

Teknoman

Don't buy reproductions. Especially for DQ6. Its fan translation is a glitchfest

What about DQ1-3? I'm not going to buy repros themselves...but i'm doing a middleground thing. Complete copies of the SFC games, then having them flashed or whatever with the english translation.

I can't vouch for 1+2, but from a technical standpoint 3 SNES is solid. Translation is good though a few lines are rough or completely off point.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What about DQ1-3? I'm not going to buy repros themselves...but i'm doing a middleground thing. Complete copies of the SFC games, then having them flashed or whatever with the english translation.

The DQ1&2 fan translation has two different versions, one closer to the original English translation, one supposedly closer to the Japanese text, don't go for the latter, at least not for DQ2, it's pretty bugged.

Aeana

It's really sad how generally low-quality Dragon Quest fan translations are. DQ5 PS2 probably got the best treatment in the end out of all of them. That's one I could recommend to anyone without any misgivings. DQ1&2 have some issues; DQ3 SFC, while solid from a technical standpoint, has some very questionable translations; DQ6 SFC's translation patch is unfinished. Sigh.

Cheerilee

I'm surprised noone ever bothered to make a complete patch for DQ6. It's a pretty major game.

I'm surprised anything ever got done in the SNES fan-translation scene. It was a bunch of genius hackers working for no money on projects that were bigger than any of them could handle alone, forming alliances and burning out and having personality conflicts... there are several failed projects for every successful one, and DQ6's most popular patch is just the "least failed" one.

From the notes on DQ6's patch
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/344/
You may have seen NoPrgress mentioned on DeJap and stuff, but don’t be fooled! This patch right here is entirely his own work. And it looks sweeeeeet!
NoPrgress has stopped working on this translation, and DeJap is taking over the project.

The next most popular DQ6 patch came from DeJap, and it has three versions
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/343/
In order to show the differences between the three, some back story is needed. Back when Antiriad was working on the game, version 0.10 was released, long long ago. Then Unafarmer offered to help out, and a lot was translated. And then he went off to Japan, and progress stopped. Then Avicalendrya helped out a little, but then he quit, and soon after lost his internet connection altogether. Apparently with all these attempts, they started anew, since these three patches represent the effort of those three attempts. Version A uses Unafarmer’s translation, with translation help from Seiichi. Version B uses Avicalendrya’s translation, and has assembly work done by NoPrgress, but I don’t know which of the two is further along. The B patch has quite a few missing things, however, which (I think) are in the A patch. Maybe. Version C is an old old patch and shouldn’t be bothered with at all.

And then we can look at DeJap's DQ3 patch
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/338/
This patch is from an ages-ago collaboration between Antiriad (j3d!) and Drayman Darklight, neither of whom are a part of DeJap anymore.

Aeana

Actually, I forgot to mention DQ5 SNES which I think probably has the best fan translation of the series. It's really a high-quality effort.

Dragon Quest IV iOS is on sale this week, wonder if that's a prelude to something else or just them realizing it has never been on sale.
It is also on sale on Google Play, 33% off.

And I see from the store page that it comes with chapter 6, I had assumed when seeing the credits that it wasn't in this version. But I see the save file says Chapter 6, so I have some more to do.

KtSlime

Dragon Quest IV iOS is on sale this week, wonder if that's a prelude to something else or just them realizing it has never been on sale.

Yes it is. DQV should come out this or next week. There have been V inspired events and campaigns in DQMSL for the past 3 or so weeks.

KiTA

Yes it is. DQV should come out this or next week. There have been V inspired events and campaigns in DQMSL for the past 3 or so weeks.

God, I really wish that DQMSL was localized. With the success of Terra Battle, BF, PAD... it seems like a no brainer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Because of III being released today I decided I needed to finally finish I so I could move onto II. But not before I max this sucker out.

So I did it. After hours of grinding in the final floor of the Dragon Lord's castle, my arms tired from carrying the Princess around, I finally reached (And maxed out at) 70,000 EXP and level 30. It was time to defeat the Dragon Lord once again. Didn't use any magic on him. Only to heal twice. All melee weapons. Was over pretty fast.

ipz1Jq3j9MNi4.PNG
icAwLaEHFfVAh.PNG
izNcbPwXPkNs4.PNG
iH7m6Y8Vp6Ltz.PNG
I love that they accounted for this when they designed the game instead of requiring you to return home before continuing on.

Now I can move onto II. From here on out (Not counting VIII) I'll be in mostly uncharted territory as DQI is the only one I've ever beaten. (NES, SFC and now iOS. Sadly not GBC as I lost it before I could play much at all.) I'll buy III when I finish II and VI when I finish III. Then maybe I'll get back to finishing my grinding in VIII. (The UI and transitions are soooo slooooow....)

Aeana

Congratulations on beating DQ1 (again). How does the mobile port compare to the other versions?

Are there any news on when DQ5 will be released? I don't think that was released in Japan yet, was it?

I expect a Japanese release by the end of the year.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Congratulations on beating DQ1 (again). How does the mobile port compare to the other versions?
They all look different and have different translations. Sometimes controlling with the touchscreen is finicky but manageable. I think I liked how the SFC version looked more than the iOS one. But both look nicer than the NES one. The iOS one has, once again, tweaked EXP and level stats. Whereas in the SFC version the level capped at 30 with 65535 EXP, it caps at an even 70000 EXP here. Of course that's more than enough for the most simple RPG ever made seeing as there's only a small pool of armor and weapons and a limited list of helper items and a tiny inventory capacity. All of which are just enough to do your job. Notice I had like $40,000G by the end of the game because there's nothing left to buy.

I wonder if I was still strong enough to beat the Dragon Lord with my bare hands and no armor at level 30... I should load up my quick save and remove all my equipment and see how it goes. Maybe I might have to do a "naked" run next time I play DQI.

I started DQII last night and I love it. But I forget what the old man in the spring near the start said about the prince that was on a quest to find me. Where did he go? He says "I just missed him" and he was off to another town in search of other descendants. But I can't remember where he said. I'll just keep exploring the continent I'm on and see if I can stumble onto him. Or I can probably just go back to the spring and ask him again.

You can tell I'm not familiar with this game at all. I had DQI memorized inside and out. Especially the US NES version with all its town, enemy and equipment names.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Pretty sure it's in every mainline game, but DQ VIII was that the first game in which it wasn't censored for the Western release.

RedSwirl

Maybe this get's asked a lot, but where is the best place to start with Dragon Quest? I'm interested in either iOS or DS

I randomly bought DA9 on a Black Friday sale a few years ago. While I only played through few hours of the game I liked it a lot because of how much it slims things down to what RPGs used to be like before Final Fantasy VII made them all about 10-minute cut scenes and over-confident overbearing non-interactive story elements. It brought me back to the JRPG gameplay I used to like from back in the day. If the other DQ games are similar then I could definitely see investigating the series, but is it really worth going through all eight of them?

Originally once I finished 9 I was going to check out DQ5 on the DS since I'd heard a lot about that one, then maybe DQ6, then DQ8. But now we've got all the DQ games coming out on iOS and I currently have quite a bit of iOS money laying around. Should I still wait for the English version of 5 to show up on iTunes or are the earlier ones totally worth it? When I get down to 8 I'll probably just track down a PS2 copy.

Gloam

Maybe this get's asked a lot, but where is the best place to start with Dragon Quest? I'm interested in either iOS or DS

I randomly bought DA9 on a Black Friday sale a few years ago. While I only played through few hours of the game I liked it a lot because of how much it slims things down to what RPGs used to be like before Final Fantasy VII made them all about 10-minute cut scenes and over-confident overbearing non-interactive story elements. It brought me back to the JRPG gameplay I used to like from back in the day. If the other DQ games are similar then I could definitely see investigating the series, but is it really worth going through all eight of them?

Originally once I finished 9 I was going to check out DQ5 on the DS since I'd heard a lot about that one, then maybe DQ6, then DQ8. But now we've got all the DQ games coming out on iOS and I currently have quite a bit of iOS money laying around. Should I still wait for the English version of 5 to show up on iTunes or are the earlier ones totally worth it? When I get down to 8 I'll probably just track down a PS2 copy.

DQ8 on PS2 is a good place to start because of its presentation. The whizzbang makes it worthwhile.

DQ5 on DS is also a good starting point. The story is excellent, great characters, monster recruiting.

DQ4 is not bad either, it's got a pretty novel approach to its structure with the different chapters. I'd say if you're thinking about playing DQ4 play it before DQ5 as it might be hard to go back in time after 5.

Enjoy!

I played DQ8 when it first came out on the PS2 and loved it but grabbed and beat DQ1 on Android a couple of days ago. Loved it - so full of charm and tickled my throwback bone. Going to be grabbing DQ2 here soon. I plan on playing them all in order as I can. Hi!

DQ3 or DQ4 are the best starting points in my opinion, especially the remakes because they don't play as slow as the originals.

I started playing DQ8 again recently and its staggering at just how slow the game is compared to so many of the other games. The general movement speed and battle length make it such a chore.

Also for anyone into speed runs someone is speedrunning DQ2:

http://www.speedrunslive.com/#!/NESCardinality

Also I don't have a link at the moment but another runner named DarkwingDuck has been doing DQ3 NES in the evenings. He's even borrowed the idea of Fantasy DQ from Feasel.

Pharaun

I played through the GBC version of DQ3 a few months back, but I'm strongly considering getting the mobile version. Graphically it's a huge improvement, but is there any gameplay stuff that's new to the mobile versions?

I played through the GBC version of DQ3 a few months back, but I'm strongly considering getting the mobile version. Graphically it's a huge improvement, but is there any gameplay stuff that's new to the mobile versions?

Its based on the snes version but isnt a 1:1 port. The prologue song is replaced by the shrine song and there are new arrangements. Monster animations are removed as well.

Top Bottom