• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

Conezays

Just enjoyed beating DQ1 on my new phone. Now to beat them all sequentially or dive into later entries. People seem to praise III and V the most; any recommendation (I've beaten 8, 9, and now 1)? Cheers.

EDIT: Went ahead and bought V. Figure I can always jump back into III later, but wanted to check out the graphical difference between I and V.

Gloam

Dragon Quest of the Stars is coming out next week in Japan (15/10). V-Jump has a lot of screenshots and a little write-up here.

sC1a8v3.jpg

Kanahei did some cute art to promote the game. You stamp LINE-y stickers to communicate with other players in multiplayer mode.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Bought 5, and I've already put several hours into it. Aside from the joystick control on the iphone, it's a pretty spectacular port. Seems like a great game, already enjoying it quite a bit.

Dragon Quest of the Stars is coming out next week in Japan (15/10). V-Jump has a lot of screenshots and a little write-up
Been highly anticipating this since announcement.
Gameplay looks like FFRK with DQ coating, which is what I want.

Seeing how "Monsters Super Light" only got a SEA release, doubt this will get proper NA treatment though. JP version it is then.

Gloam

Anyone else trying DQ of the Stars? I can't seem to log-in at the moment and was wondering if there's a VPN lock on the game. Maybe it's just getting hammered with new players?

Anyone else trying DQ of the Stars? I can't seem to log-in at the moment and was wondering if there's a VPN lock on the game. Maybe it's just getting hammered with new players?
I had to use VPN to get it to start downloading that initial 300MB data bulk.
After that, I can play without it.

How is it?
For what it is (f2p mobile game with gacha/stamina that people hate), it's really fun.
The Dragon Quest charm is really there.
I'm still on the first island though. (mostly tutorial)

So far though, I find it way better than Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light, but probably because it's less Pokemon and more DQ.

My ID is AYEVQG5688 if anyone wants to add me.
(character name LEMEZA)

In-game notice says game has already surpassed 2M downloads in less than a week.
Pretty awesome.

Edit: Heh. They gave everyone a bunny suit outfit for reaching 2M downloads.

Guys I bought DQ4 on Android but the graphics and especially the 2D sprites look atrocious on my Galaxy S6's 2K screen. The 3D backgrounds look fine but the mix with the 2D is a total mess, it's totally jarring, honestly this looks worse than an $1 indie game. I suppose there nothing I can do to fix this? I prefered FF4's approach by far, either keep everything 2D or go full 3D. At this point I may try a PS1 (or is it PS2?) rom and try to fix this mess by using some filters.

hazukash

I'm so excited. Honestly, I'm glad I didn't give in and buy a Japanese 3DS for VII and VII. hahaha

Now we just need to pray DQM gets the same treatment.

Time to play DQ I-II-III to celebrate!

Jucksalbe

Banned
So I hope everyone that was complaining about no Dragon Quest in the West will get the two 3DS remakes when they release.

Pretty excited about both, really.

Shun

I really love the fact that you can play every or almost every Dragon Quest game on iPhone or 3DS.

Having all the DQ games on iPhone is so convenient and filling the remaining gap on 3DS makes life great.

If they port the remaining games to iPhone life would be complete.

KiTA

So I hope everyone that was complaining about no Dragon Quest in the West will get the two 3DS remakes when they release.

Pretty excited about both, really.

Getting Physical here, and hoping for a LE with a Slime Plush or a LE 3DS. There is that neato Japanese one that's white with blue slimes all over it, that might be fun.

Still not satisfied. I want my Pirate Slimes and Dragon Quest Monsters remakes. And they just announced a ton of new games (DQ Builders, DQXI, DQMJ3, etc) that we are going to have to start beggi... petitioning them for now sooner than later.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Updated the OP to feature the newer announcement and updating the style for the spinoffs. The descriptions are still very barebones, though, especially for games I don't know that much about.

One simple question: What's so especially different about the Joker subseries of Dragon Quest Monsters that those got the extra "Joker" name? I have only played the Joker games, so I can't compare them to the old games.

Went back to DQ 9 in celebration of the west announcement of DQ 7 & 8; was wondering if there was somewhere in the game I could change my characters appearance?

Went back to DQ 9 in celebration of the west announcement of DQ 7 & 8; was wondering if there was somewhere in the game I could change my characters appearance?
Wigs can be found to change for hair colour but that is basically all.

It is possible to edit the save file but I don't know the first thing about it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I kinda wonder if we'll get a IX remake next year. Would be glorious if they put in online but hell just the simplified streetpassing would be worth it.

hazukash

It's way too soon for a IX remake. The 3DS can play IX and it not having online anymore is not big enough of an issue to warrant a remake.

Something that occurred to me while reading the other thread: is DQ III GBC really the worst, or at least, the least well-regarded version of the game? Why is that so?

Psxphile

It's way too soon for a IX remake. The 3DS can play IX and it not having online anymore is not big enough of an issue to warrant a remake.

Something that occurred to me while reading the other thread: is DQ III GBC really the worst, or at least, the least well-regarded version of the game? Why is that so?

DQIII NES exists, so I don't see how.

Cheerilee

Dragon Quest I to III have nostalgia value on the NES. The GameBoy versions are for those unfortunate souls who don't have access to the beautiful SNES remakes.

The GameBoy versions used to boast their unmatched portability advantage, but that advantage was eroded by portable SNES emulators, and then killed by SNES-based Android and iOS ports.

The only thing the GameBoy games have left is GameBoy nostalgia, and nobody remembers the old puke-green Tetris machine with the same fondness that they remember 8-bit NES sprites and chiptunes.

The GBC version of DW3 is fantastic. I'd still rather play that on handheld than play the SNES version in some crappy emulator or play DQ3 on my phone.

hazukash

Looks like playing DQIII on the GBC (the Game Boy Player more accurately in this case) is still a good experience. I have absolutely no nostalgia for the NES as it was before my time, but I have tons for the GBC era. Those beautiful Super Famicom graphics make me want to buy the remake and mod my SNES though.

Psxphile

Remind me what the best ver. or remake of DQ1 is?

I can definitely say it ain't the MSX/NES versions, unless you like to grind. Personally, I'm not impressed w/ DQ1's Super Famicom remake so I prefer the GBC port.
EDIT: oh yeah I guess mobile is a thing... meh

Mzo

The GBC port has a pretty small viewing area but it looks cute, is portable, streamlined, and doesn't have a garbage, fake old English translation.

Teknoman

The GBC version of DW3 is fantastic. I'd still rather play that on handheld than play the SNES version in some crappy emulator or play DQ3 on my phone.

Or play the SNES version on your SNES (SFC cart + fan translation). That way you get the best of both worlds? Clipping tabs in your SNES is pretty easy.

Tizoc

I can definitely say it ain't the MSX/NES versions, unless you like to grind. Personally, I'm not impressed w/ DQ1's Super Famicom remake so I prefer the GBC port.
EDIT: oh yeah I guess mobile is a thing... meh

Andriod/iOS right? Will make a note of that thanks.

Which actually begs the question: Is DQ1's battle system even worth it? the 1v1 system doesn't feel like it aged well imho.

I bit on the Steam preorder of DQ Heroes. Hopefully the port isn't the usual Tecmo-Koei/Square Enix half-assery...Or at least is fixable by Durante (or one of his peers).

Andriod/iOS right? Will make a note of that thanks.

Which actually begs the question: Is DQ1's battle system even worth it? the 1v1 system doesn't feel like it aged well imho.

I view DQ1 and 2 as sort of prototypes. They layed the foundation for what the franchise was, but they aren't quite there in terms of personality. They are still worth checking out though. DQ1 has a sort of Beowulvian feel to it which is sort of neat. It's not a particularly long game too, so you could probably knock it out in a day or two.

Oxx

I was walking around Camden Market in London today and saw a Dragon Quest V t-shirt for sale.

I never thought I would see something like that.

I was walking around Camden Market in London today and saw a Dragon Quest V t-shirt for sale.

I never thought I would see something like that.

Never seen anything like that here.

I did have the pleasure of finding (and buying) a lot of DQ crap in Japan. And happened upon a public music group at a mall/station suddenly switching into DQ4 town music.

Camjo-Z

So I finally picked DQM Joker 2 and DQV up again after playing them for roughly 30 minutes each a year ago and then dropping them. Nothing turns me off quite like a boring drawn-out prologue, though I think Kingdom Hearts 2 will forever be the king of that.

Joker 2 is actually really good, and a huge improvement over the first one. I'm glad I didn't wait until I finished that to start this one like I had originally planned. I doubt the 3DS remakes of the Game Boy games will get localized at this point, but hopefully the recent announcements of DQ7 and 8 are good signs that they might give Joker 3 a chance at getting released outside of Japan.

That's awesome!

What's the best gear for each in hero in DQ2 (iOS version if it makes a difference)

When I finished it I had:

Hero
Thunderbolt Sword
Erdrick's Armor
Erdrick's Shield
Erdrick's Helm
Banishing Bell

Prince
Aurora Blade
Magic Armor
Power Shield
Banishing Bell

Princess
Lightning Staff
Flowing Dress
Mad Cap
Banishing Bell

I think there's some better armor if you want to grind for more money.

Tizoc

I bit on the Steam preorder of DQ Heroes. Hopefully the port isn't the usual Tecmo-Koei/Square Enix half-assery...Or at least is fixable by Durante (or one of his peers).

Remember that you can always refund on Steam!
A working port is one thing, a competent working port with good graphic options is league of its own :p

Camjo-Z

So I noticed DQII, III, IV, and VIII are all 50% off on Google Play for some Cyber Weekend sale, for anyone interested. I already had the first two games in the series from a previous sale last year so I took the opportunity to grab III and IV. VIII is a decidedly less interesting proposition now that the 3DS port is confirmed for the West.

Speaking of mobile games, I just realized two days ago that Super Light is a thing so I installed it onto my phone and uh... wow. Literally the exact same interface, UI, and general premise as Puzzle and Dragons, that's just lazy. The gameplay is still classic DQM fare at least, although I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I hit the "fuck you grind or pay me" wall. But until then I'll enjoy it!

Top Bottom