• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

arimanius

Not really. It's more like an Action RPG. You have mobs, but that's it. It's basically an action version of Dragon Quest, from the little nods to how the structure of the missions play out (like condensed, mashed random battles).

The attack strings are the same, dodging it still important, and the characters all play wildly different (sans the two mains), but it's not really like DW.

Sounds great. Looking forward to going home and trying it out.

AgeEighty

Anyone else feel a little let down by the music in this game?

It's great to hear the classic tunes and all, but I find the simplistic midi tracks to really clash with the visuals. The symphonic soundtrack to Dragon Quest VIII was so integral to the epic feel of that game for me. Hearing the DQVIII battle theme so stripped down when Jessica and Yangus look better than ever is jarring.

I realize fully orchestrated music in-game is not the norm for this series, but I suppose I just expected them not to go backwards. And after all, there are symphonic versions of all of these tracks out there... why not just use them?

crinale

Well I think Bianca is way overpowered, but in a good way I think.
She is prepared for people aren't into action game at all but still want to beat this game.

Oh boy. Fuck
Psaro
. Here I was, thinking I was overleveled, and bam. He wrecks me in like three minutes.

See you at level 50, you jerk.

He was DLC boss originally so what do you expect :D
But seriously any side quests used to be DLC in Japanese version should make people feel like difficulty has spiked all the sudden.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

It's great to hear the classic tunes and all, but I find the simplistic midi tracks to really clash with the visuals. The symphonic soundtrack to Dragon Quest VIII was so integral to the epic feel of that game for me. Hearing the DQVIII battle theme so stripped down when Jessica and Yangus look better than ever is jarring.

I realize fully orchestrated music in-game is not the norm for this series, but I suppose I just expected them not to go backwards. And after all, there are symphonic versions of all of these tracks out there... why not just use them?

They should have just used their orchestrated albums. I still listen to them time to time.

So about the minimedals you get for killing 500 of each monster, you can cash them in when you only kill 100 or 200 or whatever and get the rest as you kill more right? Its not like a one time cash in?

Second to that, what is the best stuff to buy with minimedals?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So about the minimedals you get for killing 500 of each monster, you can cash them in when you only kill 100 or 200 or whatever and get the rest as you kill more right? Its not like a one time cash in?

Second to that, what is the best stuff to buy with minimedals?

Yes, you can cash in the same monster multiple times at each milestone.

Also someone else in the thread suggested waiting until you can afford the good weapons from the mini medal vendor, especially if you're going for the platinum trophy.

crinale

Only western version of DQ8 had orchestrated music. They are straight out from live concert and are copyrighted separately (since they were played & recorded by independent symphony, not SE employee).
I assume they could use that soundtrack again, but that would jack up the retail price of the game..

Some tips on what skills to choose?

I'll do a big writeup in a second, but for now, here are some general tips that apply to all characters.

- Play on their strengths. My Dorian is buffed to the brim with Defense, allowing him to tank even more than he would normally be able to. That let's him use a bunch of skills without having to worry about death or losing too much health.

- That being said, it doesn't hurt to throw a few in to help them out. My Dorian also has a single buffed up MP allowing him to cast vimstone more often.

- Learn what skills go with what. Detness Boost raises your critical chance, right? Well, throw on some Critical Impact, that increases attack, and you'll have the latter happening more often.

- The character exclusive area can give some tips as to what to put where, but it's not a hard rule.

- Late in the game, up your dodge window. You are going to need it.

Who do you use the most, derwalde? I could start with them to help you out.

Arkeband

Banned

Yes, absolutely. Hearing a very bland, trumpety DQ3 overworld theme on a 45 second loop every time I go back to the hub world is pretty annoying.

Another tip. Blocking DOES matter. A lot of people aren't too happy with how block is done, but the upside is you can block way more than you think. In fact, one of the bosses becomes far easier if you employ some blocking.

Anyway, I'll just start with my current team.

Luceus

He has the whole attack attribute filled out, almost all of the MP, almost all of the Defense, and 3 segments in Wisdom. This allows him to hit hard, cast spells without worrying about the drain too much, and stay in the battle for a while. The Wisdom helps with the spell damage, but we'll get to that in second.

I also dumped a point into HP because why not.

His Special Effects are

Deftness,
Artful Dodger which allows him to have a better dodge window,
and Best in Tension.

Next, let's talk about those Exclusives.
Inferno Slash Extender
Rebuttal (helpful on bosses that shoot shit, and it does decent damage enough for it to be effective),
Increase in Strength,
Powersaver, which gives a discount on casting spells.

Finally, I bought all of his spells. You should be doing this for all characters once you hit level 30ish.

The end result is a main character doing great damage, able to take more hits than usual, spells that do decent damage when he needs to clean up mobs or for weaknesses, and most importantly, always getting buffs when he gets criticals, which come out more because of the Deftness Boost. The last thing I'll focus on doing is pushing up Deftness to Burst.

He's also tension focused too, as I have some items, but I'm not so ingrained in the accessory area that I know what to do with that.

Very reliable and well rounded character.

Alena

Buffed out her Strength to 4 out of 5
One in MP (to cast spells more)
Three in Defense. She's a glass cannon on the melee side, so it helps to boost that area.

She hits super hard, can cast her ORAORORAORA attack a bit more, and can hang in there when she normally couldn't.

As for SEs:

Best in Tension. Always have this. Can't stress it enough.
Deftness Boost
Critical Impact
Critical Cover. She has a problem with Defense, so any time you can get that up without having to sacrifice points elsewhere is a godsend. Plus, they stack, so you can have attack and defense going at the same time.

Exclusives:
Multifist Multipler is a boss killer. All those hits on a weakened boss plus with the increase of criticals can make short work of bigger foes and bosses.
Divide and Conquer, because you basically always want to be in Divide as much as you can.
Divide Booster for the same reasons as above.
Feel the Burn puts that damage received to good use.
Knockout Knuckle Sandwich increases the chance for a crit on hit with that move. Great way to start out against a stationary boss.

My Alena is all about damage, some crits when she can get them, and boosting her defense on those crits. I stay in Divide as much as I can, because that's where she shines the best.

B-Dex

Block is OP. Pretty much negates most attacks or makes them do almost no dmg.

These Maya side quests are hard except the final one was a joke. And whoever approved Nera's alt colours should be fired. Hideous.

DeVeAn

So new game plus will it carry over maps and quests? Is there any reason to continue current game before NG+?

AgeEighty

Only western version of DQ8 had orchestrated music. They are straight out from live concert and are copyrighted separately (since they were played & recorded by independent symphony, not SE employee).
I assume they could use that soundtrack again, but that would jack up the retail price of the game..

I know it was only the Western version (and now the 3DS version), but it was a major step forward for the series and a huge improvement in the atmosphere of that game. I don't think they should be taking the graphics forward and the sound backward.

Even my girlfriend commented on the bland midi-like music, and she doesn't even game much.

Gandalf

First Dragon Quest! Enjoying it so far, even if I don't have any nostalgia for the music etc.

Quick noob question, redeemed the Day One Edition code for the free in game items... When do they become accessible? They're not in my inventory.

First Dragon Quest! Enjoying it so far, even if I don't have any nostalgia for the music etc.

Quick noob question, redeemed the Day One Edition code for the free in game items... When do they become accessible? They're not in my inventory.
After downloaded it will pop up on screen saying you received said item.
May take awhile for it to see. To be honest it's just for.show. after like a few hours it becomes weak lol

Gandalf

Ahh OK. Downloaded before I started the game.
That sucks... But any help with not only my first DQ, but Musou game in general will be helpful. Even if it's only a little while.

derwalde

Thanks TheSpoiler for your tips. I have yet to see which characters i main. Ive only reached the airship. But you definitly helped me!

Thanks TheSpoiler for your tips. I have yet to see which characters i main. Ive only reached the airship. But you definitly helped me!

Always happy to help. I'll have more in a few moments, but you can always respec your characters if you feel like they aren't done properly.

Apt101

I'm pretty much going down the same path as TheSpoiler, main Luceus with Alena always along for her massive damage. I can't stress buffing her defense and strength enough.

I use Isla for fights with a lot of status effects, as she can cleanse them. She also does a lot of work on her own, knocking down large groups of mobs with Twomerang, and can deal huge damage to groups in a pinch by gathering them with her Woosh abilities then popping a flame bird thing on them, and Twommeranging them when they fall down.

I take Doric along when there's a fight that needs a lot of damage to be dealt quickly, since he can increase the rate of tension-building for the entire party.

Kiryl is good fights where I want to stand and brawl without worrying about taking damage. With the accessory that negates knock back when struck equipped on Luceus it works out quite well. Though I find him lacking overall otherwise.

The rest I just mix and match for fun.

derwalde

Wow i played for five hours straight. Didnt happen to me in a while. The only negative till now is the slow runspeed. Give me a sprint button.

Didnt notice any framerate drops though, seems im not very sensitive for such things.

ChanMan

Wow i played for five hours straight. Didnt happen to me in a while. The only negative till now is the slow runspeed. Give me a sprint button.

Didnt notice any framerate drops though, seems im not very sensitive for such things.

Yeah the slow run speed is one of my gripes but it is also because I am use to Musou games being faster.

B-Dex

Did anyone else who pre ordered and got screwed out of the slime edition want a code? SE sent me another one today. I know one other person in here said they did. Just reply in the thread and quote me or pm me.

Or maybe even I can have a giveaway for anyone that wants it?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I have the slime edition sadly I wish the weapons leveled with you or something they are barely better than what characters start with

Did anyone else who pre ordered and got screwed out of the slime edition want a code? SE sent me another one today. I know one other person in here said they did. Just reply in the thread and quote me or pm me.

Or maybe even I can have a giveaway for anyone that wants it?
I would love a code. Thanks either way.

B-Dex

Just finished the story. Finally. Clocked almost 50 hours doing all the quests I could.

Will do trophy cleanup after a breather. But thoroughly enjoyed it. Even those harder quests near the end. Damn you Maya.

Kouriozan

Looks like it's selling very well in France. (Amazon.fr chart)

RxZScaH.png

See, Square Enix, there is still DQ fans in the West! Can we get the other games now? :p

Psxphile

Got the game on Wednesday but only had time to start 'er up earlier today. I've only got as far as the first base after you leave the castle but the game seems pretty fun. It's my first Musou. Weird thing about the controller speaker going at the same time as TV, guess I'll have to turn that off.

I'm off to play a little more tonight. I want to get more party members for tomorrow's EXP+ event (that's Saturday and not Sunday, right?).

KyleCross

Damn, as I thought. Emma Ferguson didn't return as Jessica. She is instead voiced by Jaimi Barbakoff, who for those who don't recongize is the voice of Triss Merigold in the second and third Witcher games. Amusing, seems she's typecasted as red-headed fantasy sorceresses now. I'm gonna miss Emma in the role, I think the last time I heard her was as that mute (she speaks telepathically) girl from Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

The game keeps playing when you press the home button?
I've never seen this happen before in a PS4 game...what kind if nonsense is this? *slurp*

Manac0r

Enjoying the game so far but just wondering:

1) Does pacing pick up? I'm only a couple hours in (2) and all the start / stopping is a little distracting.

2) I assume maps get bigger and more complex?

I most likely am still in the tutorial mode. The hack and slash mechanics feel good and the tower defense elements give it purpose. Happy with my choice.

My biggest problem is dividing my time between this and Disgaea 5. First world problems baby.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Just started it, I'm really enjoyining my time. It's a Dragon Quest Lite, very easy to get in, lite RPG elements, nice art style (wonderful lighting), funny to play hack & slashing!

Too bad music is all recycled from past titles, given the budget I thought they were going for new music and new arrangements so it's a bit akward.

Top Bottom