• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake removing main character genders

Rran

Are there people pushing for this Type A/B thing specifically? I've only actually seen it in video games from 2020 onward and it's super weird. It doesn't match the way people actually speak at all, so why do it?

I'm not going to boycott the game over it since DQ is fantastic and DQ3 in particular is a classic, but it's nonsensical and it bugs me.
They’ve done this for like the last 3 DQ games. This isn’t a new thing.
The last few Squenix games (like Harvestella) maybe, but I think it's new for DQ. The most recent game I know of that let you pick your gender is DQ Builders 2 from 2019, which still says "Choose your gender, Male/Female". Unless one of the DQX updates or spinoffs (like DQX Offline) did it, but they're not localized so I dunno.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Man.. why do they have to work with Sweet Baby Inc? The money they are paying those assholes, we could get something else! Maybe, pay the devs to add more content to the game or something? Shit, even a dev bonus would be better than paying those ShitGods.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
It's true that it wouldn't be a game breaking change or jeopardize the enjoyment of the game content.

The problem is that it is completely unnecessary and illogical, only to pander a retarded ideology. And you know those mobs, give them an inch and they certainly will take a lightyear.

Hogwarts and Stellar Blade already proved that those retards don't really have any power over games sales whatsoever, yet those fucking publishers still bite one after the other.

Last edited:

Ibara

9qre37f.jpeg

Saber

It shouldn't be a problem, but the more people act like this is nothing or it won't be affecting their enjoyment(which is true to an extent), the more power you give them to move foward with this shit. Similar thing happened with microtransactions that leaded to Star Wars Battlefront 2 fiasco.
Keep ignoring this and before you know it, your character will be androgynous.

I don't know how those words are seen as offensive, when the terms female and male don't contradict the identity of trans people, at all...

It's known that trans women are biologically male, and trans men are biologically female.
It's just completely irrelevant, and it's factually not an argument to invalidate their identity. Trans women are women, trans men are men, regardless of their sex.

Either way, I don’t care about this beyond just rolling my eyes.

I will just pay attention to the localization, because I know they won't help themselves to include "hip" terms, and whatever progressive fan fiction hack garbage, because localizers still don't understand that they aren't writers. They are just a sub-category of translators.

High fantasy setting completely devoid of any reference to actual reality, developer bends over backwards to implement a very clear and radical political statement from our world, that is very time and place dependent on top, making sure the game will be laughed at by all people in a couple years time when the fad has gone and they came to their senses. Good job.

ahtlas7

This is kind of a cop out answer (especially with following up a question with a question). I was actually curious to know what you’d say because it could be a real possibility for video games.
You’re asking them to answer you but they have no part in making the decisions. They see something happening that is abnormal and question why. They don’t know the destination because they didn’t draw the map.

Someone should answer why we need gender removal, instead of, why can’t gender removal just be accepted.

Fabieter

No one is denying the logic behind calling it “Type A & Type B” is dumb but it also super petty to skip entire game over it.

It didn’t effect my enjoyment playing Elden Ring and its not gonna effect when I play this game.

Absolutely the thing is that there is no logical reason to do so besides following some politcal trends but as long as it stays on this level it wouldn't hinder my enjoyment either.

yazenov

Absolute clowns trying to cater to the mentally ill "modern day audiences" who won't even buy their games anyways.

Square Enix and other companies should ditch Sweet baby inc and other clown DEI companies that pushes such agendas for ESG points. And remember who their audiences actually are. Their bread and butter who supported them and are still the majority of their consumers.

And the people who says it's not important who cares? Well why the fuck do they care to change this stupid shit in the 1st place? Yes now you got your answer. They care as in they/them/it care. So they can sleep well at night.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Honestly, what were the perpetually offended going to do if Square gave the main character a gender? Not buy the game? Puhleeeeze. What else do these losers have to live for other than consumption?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I identify as type C I can't believe they aren't inclusive of me.

Who will join me to boycott this game?

In all seriousness I don't really care.

As someone who played trans and queer or fight against them in SNK's games since the 90'S, I don't get why people care, or even worse, think they have to care.. And now, even Terry is a girl! And you know what, it's fun! Trans people are so bad ass!

Long Capcom fans could say the same I guess, or even Nintendo fans... You know, Final Fight, Pokemon, The King Of Fighters, Art of Fighting, Super Mario USA and so many more...

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Maybe I'm old, but I really don't understand the logic of this Type A and B thing.
Are the words "male" and "female" offensive now?
The idea is that some players want to look like a male character but identify as a female character and vice versa. Now they can choose a body type without claiming to be a specific gender.

I don't get it either but this is the least offensive way to do it, it's not going to hamper my enjoyment of the game at all so whatever.

Hohenheim

Zero fucks given. But it's obviously a boy:)

Type A is always boy, type B is always female. Yeah, I just assumed their gender!

Last edited:
Fun fact: from what I remember the main character is treated as male in the NES and GBA localizations no matter which gender you pick. This was done because unlike in English, you can get away without using any gendered speech at all in Japanese, so the programmers did not include an option to change lines depending on the character's gender and the translators had to stick with either male or female. They chose male.

IIRC they even added new lines to the game explaining this, stating that the main character was raised as a boy and is thus seen and treated as male by everyone, including themselves, meaning the localization team was technically rewriting characters to be trans 30 years before it was cool.

tommib

Gold Member
First time I saw this was with the Demon’s Souls remake. Type A and Type B. Fucking cringe but you forget about it in 2 seconds.

Signs of the times we live in. I do hate it and think it’s cringe but there’s no stoping this.

Lunnarre

Neo Member
Have you played the game? Spoilers: you are literally Erdrick, the hero of legend in the first two games. Are they going to remove all mentions of gender from every game in the trilogy?

IMHO it's just dumb because they are still obviously a man and woman, just renamed to A and B.
You only play as Erdrick/Loto in the third game as it's a prequel. You play as his descendants in the first two.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I don't care too much, but seeing this makes me worry about the english translation.
Yeah… I get it that we only have so many hours in the day to be outraged about shit, and that most people won’t boycott over something like this. But that doesn’t mean you need to just shut the hell up and play it without complaining.

Some people are trying a little too hard to rationalize this stuff away because they can’t stand to let even the slightest bit of negativity to pollute their hype

Top Bottom