• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake removing main character genders

recursive

Absolutely the thing is that there is no logical reason to do so besides following some politcal trends but as long as it stays on this level it wouldn't hinder my enjoyment either.
It isn't political. It is science. Never learned about type a and type b body types in biology.

What do you think the end goal is?
In gaming (which is what my original question was about), choosable characters and custom characters will have type options (A, B, etc.) and right afterwards most of these games will ask you to select a pronoun (recent example: Starfield).

You will then start the game and play it normally.

Now it’s your turn to answer the same question.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Adam and Beth.

A-man and Boobs.

Alpha and beta.

Asshole and bitches.

In my humble opinion, this A/B thing is far more versatile than gender.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
In gaming (which is what my original question was about), choosable characters and custom characters will have type options (A, B, etc.) and right afterwards most of these games will ask you to select a pronoun (recent example: Starfield).

You will then start the game and play it normally.

Now it’s your turn to answer the same question.
Have you even played Starfield? Everybody in that universe wears frumpy unisex clothing. There’s this perfectly egalitarian blend of race/gender in every strata of society, even in the “outlaw biker”-like space pirates.

And aside from the romance-able companions, there is absolutely zero hint of sexuality, romance, or gendered behavior in this universe. Even the “sin city” is just people taking drugs and enjoying a night of platonic dancing while wearing the least sexy clothing imaginable.

You could gender swap every character in the game and nothing would feel the slightest bit different, aside from maybe some of the catty girlboss characters now coming across as toxic patriarchal jerks when the genders are swapped.

Give me a break. This shit doesn’t stop at the character creation screen. Either you are totally ignorant or you are just gaslighting us.

Have you even played Starfield? Everybody in that universe wears frumpy unisex clothing. There’s this perfectly egalitarian blend of race/gender in every strata of society, even in the “outlaw biker”-like space pirates.

And aside from the romance-able companions, there is absolutely zero hint of sexuality, romance, or gendered behavior in this universe. Even the “sin city” is just people taking drugs and enjoying a night of platonic dancing while wearing the least sexy clothing imaginable.

You could gender swap every character in the game and nothing would feel the slightest bit different, aside from maybe some of the catty girlboss characters now coming across as toxic patriarchal jerks when the genders are swapped.

Give me a break. This shit doesn’t stop at the character creation screen.
You just went on a long rant about bad art direction, in an attempt to connect it directly to a choice at the beginning of the game. Ok.

What are your thoughts on Baldur’s Gate 3?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You just went on a long rant about bad art direction, in an attempt to connect it directly to a choice at the beginning of the game. Ok.

What are your thoughts on Baldur’s Gate 3?
You read the first sentence of my post and then pretended that is nothing but a complaint about art direction.

And Starfield was the game YOU chose as an example, now you’re going “b-b-but what about Baldur’s Gate 3?”

Alright dude you’ve proven that you are incapable of having an honest discussion, you’re just here to troll, gaslight, and deflect. Adios.

You read the first sentence of my post and then pretended that is nothing but a complaint about art direction.
Your second paragraph coorelates to your first and latter point. Again, art direction has no bearing on a choice made at the beginning of the game. Same goes for Dragon Quest.
And Starfield was the game YOU chose as an example, now you’re going “b-b-but what about Baldur’s Gate 3?”

Alright dude you’ve proven that you are incapable of having an honest discussion, you’re just here to troll, gaslight, and deflect. Adios.
You didn’t answer my question about BG3. Why do I keep asking questions in this thread, getting no answers in return, and then be told ‘youre “trending term 1”, you’re “trending term 2”, you’re “trending term 3”?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Can’t we just endgame this shit and just have every game and every character be like this.
Animation Hello GIF by Lisa Vertudaches

Can’t wait for the next tomb raider!

Sentenza

On one hand I still think that this stuff is borderline retarded. It really makes you feel as if there was a concerted effort in today's society to normalize and celebrate mental illness as the new norm and to vilify what's actually normal.
On the other one, fuck me if I'll ever give these people the satisfaction of playing their own game and start crying and throwing a tantrum fit over their delusions.

Fine, call your characters models whatever you want. I will still consider only two sexes as the real thing and everything else as mass hysteria.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Will look forward to mods changing back Body Type A/B to Male/Female.

Don't really think they can feasibly use Body Type since the other recruitable classes have Male and Female counterparts and don't look the same at all.

If they do want to use Body Type maybe add more Body Types....maybe ones that are Feminine and Attractive as opposed to overly masculine and ugly?

Last edited:

Rran

Will look forward to mods changing back Body Type A/B to Male/Female.

Don't really think they can feasibly use Body Type since the other recruitable classes have Male and Female counterparts and don't look the same at all.

If they do want to use Body Type maybe add more Body Types....maybe ones that are Feminine and Attractive as opposed to overly masculine and ugly?
Hey, Female Roto has always been cute! She looks very similar to the male one since they shared sprites in the original game (presumably due to size restrictions).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
At least they didn’t make it a freaking slider between A and B like OlliOlli World. My kids were confused, I had to tell them “yeah just slide it all the way to the right, that means girl”

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Just erased this from my list, SE can go fuck themselves along with anyone not seeing "what's wrong about this".
Yup. This kind of shit festers and grows because "there's nothing wrong with this" and "who cares?"

People continue to be complicit so expect it to only get much worse and it's already bad enough.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Death by a thousand cuts. 1 tiny thing isn't an issue. Do it over and over again and it becomes an issue.
You do what you have to, if you think this is worth skipping entire game over it then you do that.

When I playing the game I won’t ever think about it same way when I played Elden Ring.

Synless

You do what you have to, if you think this is worth skipping entire game over it then you do that.

When I playing the game I won’t ever think about it same way when I played Elden Ring.
One day you will be sitting there wondering how we got to whatever it is that we end up with and asking how, or maybe it will be your kids or theirs. Remember, it started before this and here is another pebble.

Normality is exactly what the end game is and then it pushes another level. If it doesn’t bother you, fine. Then it shouldn’t bother you that people are bothered by it.

One day you will be sitting there wondering how we got to whatever it is that we end up with and asking how, or maybe it will be your kids or theirs. Remember, it started before this and here is another pebble.

Normality is exactly what the end game is and then it pushes another level. If it doesn’t bother you, fine. Then it shouldn’t bother you that people are bothered by it.
Omg relax dude. It’s a video game character. Literally no harm at all

Synless

Omg relax dude. It’s a video game character. Literally no harm at all
I wrote all that in the calmest demeanor a person could have. That being said, it doesn’t matter it’s fictional. If it bothers you so much that people disagree with you, get out of the thread. I won’t bring this shit in the OT, I will talk about it in the thread dedicated to it.

Bottom line is it’s revisionist history on a game that didn’t have it before and it’s normalizing a rather hot topic most of the world doesn’t want in their lives.

Danjin44

Tell me in straight face, do you REALLY think skipping the game is going change their mind? Only think it going to do is giving them wrong massage that people dont want Dragon Quest.

This whole boycotting or cancel culture BS NEVER works and just pointless in my opinion.

bender

What time is it?
Tell me in straight face, do you REALLY think skipping the game is going change their mind? Only think it going to do is giving them wrong massage that people dont want Dragon Quest.

This whole boycotting or cancel culture BS NEVER works and just pointless in my opinion.

Boycotting is the one meaningful thing someone can do in these situations and as long as they aren't shunning you for not joining in the boycott, I don't really see the problem.

Danjin44

Boycotting is the one meaningful thing someone can do in these situations and as long as they aren't shunning you for not joining in the boycott, I don't really see the problem.
Did it ever worked? I dont see how this different than people "boycotting/canceling" Harry Potter game over that stupid controversy.

Unknown?

And then what happens?

Edit: I’m asking to know if you guys see a reasonable and logical end of this road and not just having wild fearful theories full of negative outcomes.
Lots of people ruin their lives, it's already happening. Instead of living their lives, they are tricked into thinking this is real and do some nasty surgeries that are permanent.

If they can get society to believe in no gender or in infinite genders, they can get society to believe anything.

bender

What time is it?
Did it ever worked? I dont see how this different than people "boycotting/canceling" Harry Potter game over that stupid controversy.

Boycotting isn't the same thing as cancelling. The end goal of a personal boycott should be nothing more than standing on one's principle. Personally, I don't shop at Walmart. Has that stopped them from being successful? No. Do I rest easier knowing I don't support their shady business practices? Yes. Do I evangelize others do the same? No. Do I judge someone from shopping at Walmart? No. Is that "working". I'll leave that for you to decide.

Dr. Claus

Banned
This is kind of a cop out answer (especially with following up a question with a question). I was actually curious to know what you’d say because it could be a real possibility for video games.

Your strange need to endlessly dismiss/handwave away this regressive, retarded as hell concept is... telling.

Synless

The problem isn’t that boycotting doesn’t work, it’s that not enough people have resolve to follow through with things they don’t like.

Bud Light is a perfect example of a company feeling pain And change has happened with that company. Either way, another poster said it better. Game was day one, now it’s a sale game, used preferably.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I'm still in for the $200 collectors edition.

I know, I'm a part of the problem. :(

No judgment here

I was planning on getting Day One on Switch but now I'm going to wait past 6 months for a Steam Sale. And before buying it, see if there's any mods that fix the localization

Even if it's small, it's something I like to call death by a thousand cuts. They will keep on doing this if you let them. Even if it is small, the next game they will take more and the next game they will take more etc

Top Bottom