• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake removing main character genders

Isa

Gold Member
I would say do whatever that feels right for you but I have been waiting for this game for long time just to skip it.
Thank you. I agree and feel the same so I do feel that strong missing out pain, but yeah I just can't with this one. I hope, hell I know you'll enjoy it. Who knows I may crack in the end closer to launch but I'm tired of being insulted and expected to just take it. Especially to pay for it.

Kacho

Gold Member
Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF
Japanese developers are trying their hardest to understand our crazy ass culture

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I have brought dishonor to this forum
The real kicker is the book is "There is No Such Thing as a Dragon" in a topic about "Dragon Quest". And the moral here is that until many stop condoning the bastardization and censorship of iconic old games the "Dragon" as it were will continue to grow until at some point it will have to be fought and addressed.

Square Enix in censoring their own product for a demographic that largely does not exist in a master stroke will ensure if it sells poorly they will deem Dragon Quest a failure but if it sells well then that proves that people want the "modern" version of the games going forward. Monkey's Paw in full swing.

This isn't our fault but it's where we are headed. It should of gotten the Star Ocean 2 treatment. I think you'll enjoy the game so more power to you. But these changes I will not support as is my right.

Last edited:

ap_puff

Neo Member
Probably not. Do I just to STFU and buy it?
Whether you buy it or not is up to you. I just find the performative outrage over a game that was NEVER about the concept art really pathetic. Call me when they turn Jade or Alena into a man, then I'll be right there with you.

Isa

Gold Member
Whether you buy it or not is up to you. I just find the performative outrage over a game that was NEVER about the concept art really pathetic. Call me when they turn Jade or Alena into a man, then I'll be right there with you.
I'm sorry but that's just plain wrong. Akira Toriyama's work is synonymous with Dragon Quest, in fact its one of things that put me off of the new cover for the remake. Its nice but lacks his style and charm, its not as bright. When I think DQ I think Toriyama and vice versa.

Sojiro

Well Jade and Alena would be labeled body type A's, not men 😅 . I don't know, this went from a must have purchase to a bit more of a decision to buying. I don't think just eating these changes with a smile on your face without mentioning you dont like is being dramatic about it, but I get that some people feel a hell of a lot more strongly about it though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm sorry but that's just plain wrong. Akira Toriyama's work is synonymous with Dragon Quest, in fact its one of things that put me off of the new cover for the remake. Its nice but lacks his style and charm, its not as bright. When I think DQ I think Toriyama and vice versa.
Same artist who did art for Octopath and Triangle Strategy did cover art for this game.

I agree with you, Toriyama's artstyle is big part of DQ games but at the same time unfortunately he passed away.

Like it or not future DQ games gonna be done by different artist.

Reactions: Isa

Isa

Gold Member
Same artist who did art for Octopath and Triangle Strategy did cover art for this game.

I agree with you, Toriyama's artstyle is big part of DQ games but at the same time unfortunately he passed away.

Yeah its unfortunate, but imho too soon after his passing to start editing works, though its been kind of happening for a while now. Plus Square has that artist in the bag. I'd have preferred they get some else who can mimic his style more accurately. I've seen as I'm sure many have, tons of fan art over the years and plenty of nice ...doujins that capture the look and feel near perfectly. Granted it happens a lot, with my beloved Shining Force series artist changes to Fire Emblem. Some people like the new style while others don't. Ah well.

Sojiro

I am very curious how the follow up artists can emulate his style. I thought I remember reading in the Toriyama passing thread there was someone who has been doing the art pretty damn close to his style. At least I don't think I am making that up lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

ap_puff

Neo Member
And you know what most English speakers who didn't import from japan saw?
QVNarji.jpeg
gqJEduT.jpeg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah its unfortunate, but imho too soon after his passing to start editing works, though its been kind of happening for a while now. Plus Square has that artist in the bag. I'd have preferred they get some else who can mimic his style more accurately. I've seen as I'm sure many have, tons of fan art over the years and plenty of nice ...doujins that capture the look and feel near perfectly. Granted it happens a lot, with my beloved Shining Force series artist changes to Fire Emblem. Some people like the new style while others don't. Ah well.
Don't get me started on Fire Emblem. We've gone from characters that are in a war to characters that are in a stage play thinking they are in a war. Those Engage character designs are something else.

Regarding artstyle is to replicate Toriyama's style. It can be done like they've done for the BERSERK manga but Miura actively put those plans in place.

Though I think without Akira Dragon Quest will never feel the same. The Akira touch in DQ, Dragon Ball, Chrono Trigger was IMO irreplaceable.

Isa

Gold Member
QVNarji.jpeg
gqJEduT.jpeg
Yeah, its good but not great in my opinion. I think we were fortunate that later installments, namely the Game Boy versions were more faithful to the original creators intent. Its an incredible story, Dragon Quest/Warrior. A true legacy they can be proud of which is why it sucks to see them act this way to such a storied franchise and its creators.

I forgot this body type shit and was added DQ 1-2-3 HD-2D's to my wishlist on Steam. Thanks to this thread I remembered it and removed them from wishlist immediately. I really don't care "LTBQasldasdasd(they always add a letter, I can't keep up the latest one)" but when they push these kind of ridiculous "game decisions" onto us I cannot but feel heated and angry.

What do they think they can gain to change something so simple as Male and Female to Body Type A and B? What are we choosing, blood types!!?? What the hell man :messenger_unamused:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I forgot this body type shit and was added DQ 1-2-3 HD-2D's to my wishlist on Steam. Thanks to this thread I remembered it and removed them from wishlist immediately. I really don't care "LTBQasldasdasd(they always add a letter, I can't keep up the latest one)" but when they push these kind of ridiculous "game decisions" onto us I cannot but feel heated and angry.

What do they think they can gain to change something so simple as Male and Female to Body Type A and B? What are we choosing, blood types!!?? What the hell man :messenger_unamused:
It's total nonsense. But hey, PC players might get lucky with a mod to remove all this stuff. I mean, how hard could it be to change a few strings and replace a few sprites? Hopefully, not very hard.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
I am very curious how the follow up artists can emulate his style. I thought I remember reading in the Toriyama passing thread there was someone who has been doing the art pretty damn close to his style. At least I don't think I am making that up lol.
I think I recall hearing that too. Perhaps Toyotaro? I think he does DBZ Super or something.

SenkiDala

dragon-quest-3-hd2d-07-05-24-1.jpg

Square Enix has confirmed more info for their Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake, seemingly removing the concept of gender from the long-awaited remake.

Source
That's ok when it's done like this. It doesn't hurt anyone, you can play a boy or a girl, no problem. Everybody who've played DQ knows that the gender of the protagonist is pointless, he's just here to make you feel you're "him" or now "her too.

Isa

Gold Member
I don't think they should try to emulate his style. Let him rest in peace and make a new property. Things don't need to last forever, and DQ12 should be the last DQ.
I definitely agree with you there, I think its best all around. Let writers, artists and programmers shine with new stuff instead of having to take on baggage since people will have set expectations with established IP's/settings.

Sojiro

I don't think they should try to emulate his style. Let him rest in peace and make a new property. Things don't need to last forever, and DQ12 should be the last DQ.
Ending the DQ series is an interesting thought, and I never thought of it. With Toriyama gone, and Horii getting up there in age these days, it might be for the best for the series, even though it would be a gut punch to see it end. I would hope that a new series would be able to still capture the things that make DQ series so beloved.

It's just the gender? I'm trying to muster up being that upset unless a mess of content is missing.

They censored some of the female character to make them appear less skimpy

Man some people are defending that shit..

Really makes me mad

I'm going to wait till the game is at least 10 to 20 bucks and when there are mods that fix the game on Steam

It's a shame really, the rest of the game looks fantastic

Aesius

QVNarji.jpeg
The character designs in the manual aren't that great but that Dragon Warrior III box/manual/cartridge art is amazing. I remember looking at it as a kid and imagining the day that video games actually looked that real.

bro you have people mad that character art has orange shorts now. do you know how stupid that sounds to normal people?

Your avatar gave me a good chuckle.

Back on topic though. The guy seems like he needs a bath. But I see almost literally every thread on here someone posts a video of him. I'd rather just play games than watch a video of people like him.

I'm sorry but the stench of Era is all over these posts.

This is DQ, people should be pissed off and pass on the game if Square thinks it's alright to let a bunch of Canadian HR clowns have veto power over Toriyama's designs.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They censored some of the female character to make them appear less skimpy

Man some people are defending that shit..

Really makes me mad

I'm going to wait till the game is at least 10 to 20 bucks and when there are mods that fix the game on Steam

It's a shame really, the rest of the game looks fantastic
Thanks, I'm keeping my pre-order for now but if Renfro (or whatever that Atlus game is called) is good, I may swap that.

nnytk

Neo Member
I don't care about the gender thing tbh, but the censorship stuff doesn't sit well with me. I rarely care about these things but Akira Toriyama his work shouldn't be altered or toned down like this...

It's why I love Shin Megami Sensei so much, artistic integrity and freedom are important in these types of games. Kinda lame that Squeenix is messing around with that.

Last edited:

Ultros

Banned

This is DQ, people should be pissed off and pass on the game if Square thinks it's alright to let a bunch of Canadian HR clowns have veto power over Toriyama's designs.
Never been a member, nor do I ever wish to go to the asylum called ResetERA. I merely just mentioned that the guy gets posted everywhere here on Neogaf as if he's some authority of gaming. The only stench in the posts is Asmongold, he should take a shower.

ap_puff

Neo Member

Wrong. I'm tired of culture warrior tourists who never even played the original act offended when they likely never even cared about the original. If you're Japanese or imported the game the fair, but I'm betting 99% of then outraged individuals in here never did that. Stop ruining the conversations around games you're not even interested in.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Same, people can do what they want its their money but for me there is no way in hell I'm missing out on this game.

Same, 10000%

People get triggered over the stupidest shit, what do I look like missing out on a game, cause someone else mad? They are fucking mad at everything these days and its cancel this, agenda that lol They added it, day 1, removed it......day 1 lol I've never bought any game in the IP For such reasons, I don't get why I'd avoid any game in the IP for these reasons.

Watch, they will go after Monster Hunter next

BASED

Wrong. I'm tired of culture warrior tourists who never even played the original act offended when they likely never even cared about the original. If you're Japanese or imported the game the fair, but I'm betting 99% of then outraged individuals in here never did that. Stop ruining the conversations around games you're not even interested in.
Dude calls Gafr's upset about SBI tainting a DQ title, "culture warrior tourists..." Spare me your nonsense.

Besides, I made an in-depth RTTP for PSX DQ7 last year, get on my level.

ap_puff

Neo Member
Dude calls Gafr's upset about SBI tainting a DQ title, "culture warrior tourists..." Spare me your nonsense.

Besides, I made an in-depth RTTP for PSX DQ7 last year, get on my level.
SBI isn't even involved in this title. And yes, culture war tourists. As I mentioned earlier, this is the original artwork for the Western release of DQ3 (named dragon warrior 3).
We even have people unironically posting Asmongold takes, who often says that he hates "weeb games".
QK3m1mt.jpeg

Last edited:
SBI isn't even involved in this title. And yes, culture war tourists. As I mentioned earlier, this is the original artwork for the Western release of DQ3 (named dragon warrior 3).
We even have people unironically posting Asmongold takes, who often says that he hates "weeb games".
QK3m1mt.jpeg
This isn't a remake of the westernized Dragon Warrior III, it's a remake of Yuji Horii and Akira Toriyama's original Japanese work.

ap_puff

Neo Member
This isn't a remake of the westernized Dragon Warrior III, it's a remake of Yuji Horii and Akira Toriyama's original Japanese work.
And? The original release already showed that they were willing to "change the artist's intent" to appeal to Western audiences. The difference is we didnt' have a bunch of culture war idiots come into every conversation to ruin shit, it came out and was a BANGER of a game, one of the true NES classic jrpgs. And not a peep about how we were "disrespecting the artist's vision" (lol). Ya'll tried to do this with Stellar Blade too with all that "outfit censorship" bullshit, guess what it came out and was a BANGER with lots of eye candy. Get a life and enjoy games already.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Will hopefully be my last post in this thread, but this is correct.

Do people think this just happens overnight? They surreptitiously inject this everywhere. In isolation, every case appears to be innocuous, so people just let it slide. Then you add them all up and we get major cultural shifts that aren't for the better.
Quoting myself with this, but are we really surprised? At first, it was just changing male and female to A and B for no reason. Now they're censoring artwork.

It's NEVER one shocking thing that makes everyone recoil. It's always those seemingly innocuous changes that pile up over time. They catch us while we're asleep and tell us not to worry. Then we wake up and the house has been robbed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom