• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake removing main character genders

kunonabi

I don't mind the gender being replaced by type A or B for as long as it stays on the character creator.

What they've done to the female warrior tho... :lollipop_neutral:

v0UTbyf.jpeg

Doesn't even look good imo. Should have used black clothes instead of orange to better match the design of the male warrior.
And of course they had to screw the female warrior up too.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't mind the gender being replaced by type A or B for as long as it stays on the character creator.

What they've done to the female warrior tho... :lollipop_neutral:
I prefer the OG design. The orange shirt and shorts ruins the original vision. Plus the orange clothes doesn't mesh well with the black tights that (F)Warrior wears on their arms and legs that connect the gauntlets and greaves.

EUH8mVVXkAMuLFS.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Given the gender/body type nonsense, alteration of character designs and censored enemies and potentially events like Puff Puff I will be passing on this. This is a poison pill remake.
I sure wish we end up getting some mods that fix all or at least part of all the pozzing they are introducing in the remake.

Reactions: Isa

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I sure wish we end up getting some mods that fix all or at least part of all the pozzing they are introducing in the remake.
I think a hard skip is in order because if they are doing this for DQ3 HD they will be doing it for DQ1 and 2 HD as well. It's looking like a situation where if you buy it you accept their changes but if you don't then you say that you don't want Dragon Quest. The game is rigged.

Very sad state of affairs. I really wish they would have just kept everything the same like Star Ocean 2 did.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Wow, they're really messing with more than body types and that warrior design for modern audiences to the point I'm considering cancelling my pre-order and maybe buy once mods can restore what has been changed... 👀
Don't want to say I told you so but I told you so. Look forward to altered designs, gender specific dialogue, puff puff events and more. Akira Toriyama is rolling in his grave.

And since this is getting censored I assure you 1 and 2 will follow suit.

Sooner

Damn. This has SBI all over it.

Easy non-purchase. Hope this game sells like dirt so Square can get the message.
I hope it sells gangbusters. My most anticipated game of the year.

Yes, the body type thing is stupid AF, but everyone is doing that. Blame stupid western culture for making Japanese developers believe that's what we want. That's on us (and by "us", I mean the whatckjob beliefs that the modern western world has allowed to permeate).

I hope it sells gangbusters. My most anticipated game of the year.

Yes, the body type thing is stupid AF, but everyone is doing that. Blame stupid western culture for making Japanese developers believe that's what we want. That's on us (and by "us", I mean the whatckjob beliefs that the modern western world has allowed to permeate).
I didn't mind the body type A-B, that's whatever to me.

It's the altering of the art. I'm not rewarding those actions with my money and I'd rather revisit an old DQ title than support this kind of censorship in a DQ game.

Ultros

Banned
Dragon Quest III: DEI Seeds of Salvation

Quite shocked that Japan decided to bend the knee. I see Shift Up from South Korea(guys that made Stellar Blade) is also on a hiring spree for their next game and had some job openings for DEI Officers etc. as well. Went so far that they removed "Jobs" entry on the website because people caught up with it

Last edited:

Quantum253

Gold Member
Is this the first your hearing about Sweet Baby being involved with HD-2D remake?
However, games have been using "type 1 type 2" for a long time, so it's not that controversial

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
who the fuck cares, this is such a stupid thing to get mad about
That's always how it starts. It's always a pernicious and pervasive effort. It's never one big explosion. One little thing here, another little thing there. Some always go, "who cares? What does it change?" until all the small changes add up and you get something radically different.

The current climate in the gaming industry didn't happen overnight. It happened little by little. We didn't just get SBI one day out of nowhere. They're the natural evolution of that process that's been infecting gaming for years.

By all means though, continue not to care.

ap_puff

Neo Member
That's always how it starts. It's always a pernicious and pervasive effort. It's never one big explosion. One little thing here, another little thing there. Some always go, "who cares? What does it change?" until all the small changes add up and you get something radically different.

The current climate in the gaming industry didn't happen overnight. It happened little by little. We didn't just get SBI one day out of nowhere. They're the natural evolution of that process that's been infecting gaming for years.

By all means though, continue not to care.
good, i won't. meanwhile you will continue to be mad for no reason. see a doctor for that blood pressure

• LOL

Kacho

Gold Member
Why do I see this loser being posted everywhere here on Neogaf. I can smell the Youtube thumbnail from kilometres away
He covers hot button topics and gives reasonable takes on them. Something other large YouTubers are too chicken shit to do, such as Skill Up, Bellular, etc.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
bro you have people mad that character art has orange shorts now. do you know how stupid that sounds to normal people?
Way to go to be utterly disingenuous. You damn well know this ain't what they're pissed off about, so why pretend that they're complaining about orange shorts?

We went from this:

To this?

Sigh.
Of course, not. They're not even the same characters lol.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
We went from this:
EUH8mVVXkAMuLFS.jpg

To this?
dragon-quest-3-hd2d-07-05-24-1.jpg

Sigh.
Dude, no lmao.

fem.png

bro you have people mad that character art has orange shorts now. do you know how stupid that sounds to normal people?
The orange shorts which look lazy as fuck.
The female jester being slightly censored as well.
The censored ogre design because apparently monsters can't have lips anymore.
The body A/B bullshit.
Probably more stuff we aren't aware yet.

You talk about "normal people" as if you were the harbinger of all truth. Well, how about instead of asking "normal people" you go and ask Dragon Quest fans?

Last edited:

Ultros

Banned
It's specifically worse because it's the even shittier react videos he makes.
Your avatar gave me a good chuckle.

Back on topic though. The guy seems like he needs a bath. But I see almost literally every thread on here someone posts a video of him. I'd rather just play games than watch a video of people like him.

ap_puff

Neo Member
Dude, no lmao.

fem.png

The orange shorts which look lazy as fuck.
The female jester being slightly censored as well.
The censored ogre design because apparently monsters can't have lips anymore.
The body A/B bullshit.
Probably more stuff we aren't aware yet.

You talk about "normal people" as if you were the harbinger of all truth. Well, how about instead of asking "normal people" you go and ask Dragon Quest fans?
A dragon quest "fan" that throws a bitch fit and won't buy the game because of some orange colored shorts and a sports bra.

SURE BUD.

• LOL

TintoConCasera

A dragon quest "fan" that throws a bitch fit and won't buy the game because of some orange colored shorts and a sports bra.

SURE BUD.
I don't have a problem with people grabbing the game and having fun, to each their own.

But if your argument is that a DQ fan should just shut up and consume whatever Square throws at them even if it shits on the designer's vision, then man, I have no words left for you.

Isa

Gold Member
Ummmm......
dq3erdrick.jpg
One of my favorite covers ever. Constantly traded the GBC back and forth with my sister taking turns.

However the art changes were just too much for me and I too will most likely be holding out on getting this. Its not right, one I loathe censorship and wish I couldn't believe what was happening to one of my favorite franchises ever, but really the evidence was there for a while. Squeenix just isn't the same. Thankfully I have the old games to play, but man what a bummer. But I prefer to stand on principle, from my most anticipated game(s with 1&2 next year) to a total pass. Its not just wrong its disrespectful to both the OG creators and us the customer.

I first noticed something was wrong, outside of how Square Enix operates now, was when after 2+ years they showed off the game again and the female warrior had her ass cheeks covered in sprite form. I was watching Japanese videos to see character creation and it seemed a bit more free in terms of a few item swaps such as hair, hair color etc form 1-4 options but this was a real bummer. I saw Vara Dark cover it. If people mod this stuff out on pc I may pick it up there down the line but for now they've lost me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One of my favorite covers ever. Constantly traded the GBC back and forth with my sister taking turns.

However the art changes were just too much for me and I too will most likely be holding out on getting this. Its not right, one I loathe censorship and wish I couldn't believe what was happening to one of my favorite franchises ever, but really the evidence was there for a while. Squeenix just isn't the same. Thankfully I have the old games to play, but man what a bummer. But I prefer to stand on principle, from my most anticipated game(s with 1&2 next year) to a total pass. Its not just wrong its disrespectful to both the OG creators and us the customer.

I first noticed something was wrong, outside of how Square Enix operates now, was when after 2+ years they showed off the game again and the female warrior had her ass cheeks covered in sprite form. I was watching Japanese videos to see character creation and it seemed a bit more free in terms of a few item swaps such as hair, hair color etc form 1-4 options but this was a real bummer. I saw Vara Dark cover it. If people mod this stuff out on pc I may pick it up there down the line but for now they've lost me.
I would say do whatever that feels right for you but I have been waiting for this game for long time just to skip it.

Metnut

This games looks great and I’m not even sure what the real issue/complaints are here and how anything would seriously affect anyone’s enjoyment of the game. These characters barely even talk in DQ3.

It’s weird because Square was slammed on Reeee for too many white people in FF16 and slammed for sexualizing the female characters in FF7 Rebirth and now there this “issue” for DQ3R.

Times like this where I’m glad I’m not a joyless culture warrior and can just enjoy games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom