• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragonball Z Revival OT Super | Super Saiyan God Super Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, some of you guys really like gt I see, never seen so much debating over wording before lol. Why can't it be that gt wasn't universally accepted and a lot of fans tend to ignore it. Its still ok to like it, canon or not. I personally don't pay attention to it since the original creator didn't write it and is now continuing the show with little to no references so far. Dunno don't really care, just amazed dbz is really back.

TCKaos

The issue with canon in DBZ is that there a bunch of different continuities, I think.

Basically, you've got:
-Manga Continuity:

• Dragon Ball Vol 1-42
    Neko Majin Z
    Jaco the Galactic Patrolman

-Anime Continuity:

• Dragon Ball Episodes 1-153
    Dragon Ball Z Episodes 1 - 291
    Dragon Ball GT Episodes 1 - 64
    Dragon Ball GT: A Hero's Legacy

-Non-Serial Movies:

• Each individual film and OVA seemingly has its own continuity, with few exceptions.

-New Anime Continuity:

Dragon Ball Z Episodes 1 - 287
    Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return
    Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods
    Dragon Ball Z: Revival of F
    Dragon Ball Z Super
    Dragon Ball Z Episodes 288 - 291

There are some weird quirks with even this, though. The Garlic Jr. Saga means that DBZ Movie 1 has to be canon to the anime continuity, and with Cooler's single second appearance in GT that means that DBZ Movie 5 has to be canon as well.

Some of the movies also share continuities with each other. Aside from the obvious answer of the Broly Trilogy being a self contained continuity, dozens of characters make a cameo appearence in Fusion Reborn when Gohan fights Freeza, including Garlic Jr.'s men, Dr. Wheelo's men, Turles's men, Lord Slug's men, Bojack's men (and Bojack) as well as Paragus, meaning that DBZ movies 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, and 9 all occur in the same continuity as 12. With the appearance of Cooler and Turles as well as the mention of Broly in the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, that means that that OVA shares a continuity with movies 4, 5 and 8.

Or maybe it doesn't matter because Toriyama doesn't care about continuity and just wants to write what he wants to write.

Snaku

Banned
The issue with canon in DBZ is that there a bunch of different continuities, I think.

Basically, you've got:
-Manga Continuity:

• Dragon Ball Vol 1-42
    Neko Majin Z

-Anime Continuity:

-Non-Serial Movies:

• Each individual film and OVA seemingly has its own continuity, with few exceptions.

-New Anime Continuity:

Dragon Ball Z Super

There are some weird quirks with even this, though. The Garlic Jr. Saga means that DBZ Movie 1 has to be canon to the anime continuity, and with Cooler's single second appearance in GT that means that DBZ Movie 5 has to be canon as well.

Some of the movies also share continuities with each other. Aside from the obvious answer of the Broly Trilogy being a self contained continuity, dozens of characters make a cameo appearence in Fusion Reborn when Gohan fights Freeza, including Garlic Jr.'s men, Dr. Wheelo's men, Turles's men, Lord Slug's men, Bojack's men (and Bojack) as well as Paragus, meaning that DBZ movies 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, and 9 all occur in the same continuity as 12. With the appearance of Cooler and Turles as well as the mention of Broly in the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, that means that that OVA shares a continuity with movies 4, 5 and 8.

Or maybe it doesn't matter because Toriyama doesn't care about continuity and just wants to write what he wants to write.

BoG and FnF are in the manga continuity, Toriyama wrote both of them as a continuation of the manga (his own words). We'll see where Super ends up once we get more information.

This is the main timeline of the Animated series and linked events.

3vQeUW0.jpg

The discussions about "canon" don't really mean much since there is so many official canon.

Personally I care little for the Manga, and regard GT as a alternate universe and the core timeline and BoG/RoF as the actual events.

I can head canon with continuity problems the older movies into it too.

Again that's grossly misusing the term "canon." All canon refers to is whether or not the people in charge of said property consider it official material. There's zero evidence that TOEI does not consider GT to be official, considering they put it in every merchandise they possibly can. Nor have there ever been any comments from anyone involved in the series, including Akira Toriyama, to state there is a Dragonball canon in the first place.

The "Dragonball canon" is a made-up thing by the fans by and large. There is official material that states things exist in different continuities, but the fact that GT is even considered to be an alternative universe by TOEI already means it's "canon" in the sense that it's official work recognized by the people who own the Dragonball property. Because if it wasn't canon, it wouldn't even be talked about let alone put in their merchandise.

No it isn't.
The authentic works of a writer
Toriyama didn't do GT, ergo it isn't canon to the manga. When people speak about Dragon Ball canon they are speaking about the manga's universe. Just because something is an official work doesn't mean it is canon.
Official=/=canon.
Because if it wasn't canon, it wouldn't even be talked about let alone put in their merchandise.
And this is just completely untrue, many franchises, such as Marvel and Star Wars, release merchandise based on noncanon material.

No it isn't.

Toriyama didn't do GT, ergo it isn't canon to the manga. When people speak about Dragon Ball canon they are speaking about the manga's universe. Just because something is an official work doesn't mean it is canon.
Official=/=canon.

And this is just completely untrue, many franchises, such as Marvel and Star Wars, release merchandise based on noncanon material.

All true but I feel you are being a bit too pedantic about the issue. I have no horse in this race because like I said above I don't care frankly. I enjoyed all of the dragonball animated material from DB episode 1 to BoZ and everything in between including DBGT.

Canon is best simplified as the established timeline of characters that does not contradict itself so as to create a coherent narrative. Even including the majority of filler episodes that can be said for DBZ.

You can start playing really fast and loose and saying things like GT are canon because they take place in an alternate timeline but that is mainly just fanon since Xenoverse isn't regarded as an official story it's presented timeline stuff isn't either.

Manga canon is inconsequential to many because the only relation to the anime it has is that is the source material. The anime is a separate beast.

Big One

Banned
No it isn't.

Official=/=canon.
Everything you're saying here about canon is completely false. First, let's look at the definition of what "canon" means: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=define:+canon

can·on
ˈkanən/
noun
noun: canon; plural noun: canons; noun: canon of the Mass; plural noun: canon of the Mass

a general law, rule, principle, or criterion by which something is judged.
"the appointment violated the canons of fair play and equal opportunity"
synonyms: principle, rule, law, tenet, precept; More
standard, convention, criterion, measure
"the canons of fair play and equal opportunity"
a church decree or law.
"a set of ecclesiastical canons"
synonyms: law, decree, edict, statute, dictate, decretal
"a set of ecclesiastical canons"
a collection or list of sacred books accepted as genuine.
"the formation of the biblical canon"
the works of a particular author or artist that are recognized as genuine.
"the Shakespeare canon"
synonyms: list of works, works, writings, oeuvre
"the Shakespeare canon"
the list of works considered to be permanently established as being of the highest quality.
"Hopkins was firmly established in the canon of English poetry"
(in the Roman Catholic Church) the part of the Mass containing the words of consecration.
Music
a piece in which the same melody is begun in different parts successively, so that the imitations overlap.

More importantly, let's focus on what "canon" is even used in the context we're speaking of:

the works of a particular author or artist that are recognized as genuine.
"the Shakespeare canon"
Dragonball GT is an official series by an animation studio that in-part owns and consistently creates new content for the Dragonball franchise. Therefor, it's canon. it ISN'T in continuity with the manga, but as far as we're concerned it's canon unless stated otherwise.

Again this isn't true either. When Star Wars EU was in it's heyday, everything was considered canon, just different levels of canon. It wasn't until recently when Disney dubbed everything to be non-canon and under the Star Wars Legends label.

Marvel separates everything in alternate universes. Pretty much nothing there is non-canon whatsoever, even stuff from other companies is part of the Marvel canon.

Unlike either of these respective canons, there has yet to be an established Dragonball canon or some source to suggest there is one. So the only thing we can assume is "canon" is what is officially recognized by TOEI and anyone else involved with Dragonball, which includes Dragonball GT and the movies.

Basically, you've got:
-Manga Continuity:

• Dragon Ball Vol 1-42
    Neko Majin Z

-Anime Continuity:

-Non-Serial Movies:

-New Anime Continuity:

Dragon Ball Z Super

Neko Majin Z is not canon to the manga. It's a parody and has obvious differences like SSJ Vegeta somehow working for Freeza in the Uub era.

Everything you're saying here about canon is completely false. First, let's look at the definition of what "canon" means: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=define:+canon

More importantly, let's focus on what "canon" is even used in the context we're speaking of:

Dragonball GT is an official series by an animation studio that in-part owns and consistently creates new content for the Dragonball franchise. Therefor, it's canon. it ISN'T in continuity with the manga, but as far as we're concerned it's canon unless stated otherwise.

Again this isn't true either. When Star Wars EU was in it's heyday, everything was considered canon, just different levels of canon. It wasn't until recently when Disney dubbed everything to be non-canon and under the Star Wars Legends label.

Marvel separates everything in alternate universes. Pretty much nothing there is non-canon whatsoever, even stuff from other companies is part of the Marvel canon.

Unlike either of these respective canons, there has yet to be an established Dragonball canon or some source to suggest there is one. So the only thing we can assume is "canon" is what is officially recognized by TOEI and anyone else involved with Dragonball, which includes Dragonball GT and the movies.

Canon in fiction is an interchangeable word with continuity. To say that GT isn't in the same continuity as the manga is to say that it isn't canon to the manga, which it isn't. It's its own world, canon to its self, but not canon to the manga or the new movies.
Now can we end this stupid argument?

I'm aware of that. I was poking fun at the canon arguments.

Your avatar (and editing all those other avatars in the other thread) got me thinking about how Mickey's ears and Goku's hair are both things that can be seen in the same iconic shape even when the character is facing different directions.

mVJypZJ.jpg

qOPbhDz.jpg

Just kinda neat.

Welfare

Your avatar (and editing all those other avatars in the other thread) got me thinking about how Mickey's ears and Goku's hair are both things that can be seen in the same iconic shape even when the character is facing different directions.

qOPbhDz.jpg

Just kinda neat.

:O

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My friend drew some neat pixel art to celebrate the new series. Never knew he had that talent.

I really, really hope that the series begins after the tournament at the end of Z. Uub, older Goten, and older Trunks would make for really dynamic additions to the cast.

I never knew this and just went with it, but what does the "J" in SSJ stand for?

Stands for Jin. Jin is used to say a person from this country/area.

Saiya-jin

Ex: Amerika-jin = American in japanese

Spain-jin = Spanish

Mexico-jin = Mexican

There is no reason for DB fans to use jin when you're using english. Everyone knows SS stands for Super Saiyan.

brinstar

it's also worth noting that "Saiya" comes from Yasai, which means vegetable and is why all the Saiyans have veggie name puns

Man there sure is a lot of talk about being canon or not. All this alternate continuities and stuff is getting weird.
I just always kept it simple.

Canon
Manga
Jaco the Patrolman
Revival movies (2008 special, BoG, RoF)
(DB Super?)

Might be Canon
DB Online (Toriyama did have a lot of influence in this but not really sure)

Everything else like Broly and Cooler and GT I just figured weren't canon because they had little to no influence from the creator. Creating anime, movie, and video game continuities just to connect everything seems silly imo.

Sandfox

Mai's original age in BoG makes little sense.

Man there sure is a lot of talk about being canon or not. All this alternate continuities and stuff is getting weird.
I just always kept it simple.

Canon
Manga
Jaco the Patrolman
Revival movies (2008 special, BoG, RoF)
(DB Super?)

Might be Canon
DB Online (Toriyama did have a lot of influence in this but not really sure)

Everything else like Broly and Cooler and GT I just figured weren't canon because they had little to no influence from the creator. Creating anime, movie, and video game continuities just to connect everything seems silly imo.
You forgot about DB Minus.

NeonZ

Dragonball GT is an official series by an animation studio that in-part owns and consistently creates new content for the Dragonball franchise.

Toei doesn't own Dragonball though. People sometimes seem to forget that manga aren't like DC/Marvel comics as far as rights go. They generally stick with their own creators.

The material Toei creates is officially licensed, of course, just like any games or merchandising, but unless it's acknowledged by Toriyama, like Son Goku Returns and Friends, it doesn't fit into "the works of a particular author or artist that are recognized as genuine".

Basically, you've got:
-Manga Continuity:

• Dragon Ball Vol 1-42

-New Anime Continuity:

Dragon Ball Z Super

The new anime continuity, at least so far, is intended to be the same as the original manga continuity, like shown by Toriyama using elements from the movies in the new manga or his question & answer sessions about the original manga. Noticeably, in Battle of Gods, Gregory was nowhere to be seen, unlike in pretty much every other animated appearances of Bubbles (including even Son Goku and Friends). Watanabe, the movie's script writer, also mentioned on twitter that the movie was meant to be part of the "original story", and referenced its continuity placement using manga chapters, rather than anime episodes. They went out of their way to remove an anime specific element that had sticked (even if only as a mute cameo) in Son Goku and Friends.

So:

-Manga Continuity:
Dragon Ball Vol 1-42

Anyway, I'd also wait before stating where "Super" is supposed to go, since the statements regarding it have been fairly open and contradictory so far.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I kinda liked BoG, haven't watched RoF yet, hopefully it's hit cinemas soon.
Curious about DBS to be honest.

Wait so we can get God SuperSaiyan 3? That sounds sweet as hell.

Also I think Whis is God.
Of course we can!
We'll surely get Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan God after that.

Yes it's in RoF.

My biggest question about this series is whether every Saiyan gets the God power-up. There is literally no reason why they shouldn't unless they give us a reason like 'they couldn't hold the power'.
They'll all get it.

Except Gohan.

Because reasons.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I would be more excited for the series revival if the animation didn't still look like such clunky shit. The characters all look like plastic dolls now too.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
That does not reference "canon" whatsoever. That comment doesn't even establish GT being in it's own continuity, even though it is. GT does not share the same continuity as something like the manga, but it's still canon as long as TOEI recognizes it as part of the official series.

No, the series is owned by Akira Toriyama and the content he has put out since GT ended directly contradicts it. So GT is not canon to the main, or manga, storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom