• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Feels bad killing chained cyclops standing in a hallway where he can't reach me. Then karma got me when i wanted to go back to olra(?) stronger monsters barely survived but got nine shot ring

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This is the flaw in the system
the commands should be to make your pawns behave outside of their inclinations when it's needed

My solution to stuff like this recently has been to physically grab and move your pawns, and throw them around. It's harsh and can get annoying but at least it fucking works when you want it too. Far too many times have I seen my caster pawn just stand there preparing the worlds biggest spell while the Ur-Dragon is almost done charging their huge breath attack. So now I just grab the pawn and throw them, it normally snaps them out of their stupor.

Feels bad killing chained cyclops standing in a hallway where he can't reach me. Then karma got me when i wanted to go back to olra(?) stronger monsters barely survived but got nine shot ring

Had to do this as my MK because it was the only way I could get magick cannons to actually finish casting and be usable.

Come does that? Shame, gotta stop using it then. Okay admittedly, I don't even know what come command exactly does, I just spam it when the pawns seem to lag behind.

The game should probably tell you when your pawns inclination changes. Mine lost acquisitor for apparently no reason a while back.

Come is also used to get pawns to grapple enemies if you are already climbing the enemy, it's good against flying enemies and a few others, but you never get to actually use it because it fucks your pawn's inclinations over time (which means more tedious resetting and causes hired pawns to usually be useless since other players spammed come)

help is used to get pawns to use curatives on themselves (very useful in certain scenarios when you are climbing a big enemy and don't want to have to jump down to pick up that idiot pawn that dies because he sits on 300 hp for a minute), heal , buff, remove debuffs and break grabs.
(the pawns themselves actually use the commands too... verbally, weird that it doesn't break my own brain AI huh:p )

go will attack enemies further ahead, might be used to get them to attack an enemy you are targetting I'm not sure, I use go a lot at the start of a fight just to make sure my tank stays scather

maomaoIYP

This is the flaw in the system
the commands should be to make your pawns behave outside of their inclinations when it's needed ( when my sorc is standing with his back to a cliff casting mealstorm, and an elder ogre turns towards him I'm going to have to press come or I can waste 15 mins of my life resummoning him and putting the right curatives on him again), if I'm grabbed by an ogre or dragon or mimic I need that help button to get them to free me.
I don't need them to forget their main job (going after the big monsters or buffing) just because I need them to act outside of those parameters now and then.

Instead of giving you some control over the AI the game punishes you for it.
Their inclinations only change after a while of spamming the same commands over and over again, it's not an instant thing. I have scather pawns but they don't automatically change to guardian just because I asked for help once or twice. I like that the pawns change inclinations based on what you tell them though, even though the pawn AI is admitted poor at times. I've had pawns jump off cliffs just because we were sprinting directly towards it.

Come does that? Shame, gotta stop using it then. Okay admittedly, I don't even know what come command exactly does, I just spam it when the pawns seem to lag behind.

The game should probably tell you when your pawns inclination changes. Mine lost acquisitor for apparently no reason a while back.
If you spam it non stop in any situation you'll end up with guardian. You don't even need to use it unless you're actively trying to escape from a fight, pawns can teleport to your side instantly if you're too far away, sometimes even when they're engaged in combat. Also to get aquistitor again, all you need to do is when enemies are actively trying to kill you, you walk around and collect all the loot from nearby lootable sources (it's a pretty crappy inclination, pawns will end up ignoring combat just to pick up that stray herb on the ground.)

Their inclinations only change after a while of spamming the same commands over and over again, it's not an instant thing. I have scather pawns but they don't automatically change to guardian just because I asked for help once or twice. I like that the pawns change inclinations based on what you tell them though, even though the pawn AI is admitted poor at times. I've had pawns jump off cliffs just because we were sprinting directly towards it.

If you spam it non stop in any situation you'll end up with guardian. You don't even need to use it unless you're actively trying to escape from a fight, pawns can teleport to your side instantly if you're too far away, sometimes even when they're engaged in combat. Also to get aquistitor again, all you need to do is when enemies are actively trying to kill you, you walk around and collect all the loot from nearby lootable sources (it's a pretty crappy inclination, pawns will end up ignoring combat just to pick up that stray herb on the ground.)

My fighter would consistently get guardian as second inclination when I was fighting elder ogre or annihilators, simply because I had to move my pawns away from a cliff quite a few times.
It's not instant now, but 10-20 come commands will do the job, and that means a nagging feeling in the back of your head every time you use it ,and feeling like you should have to use go a lot to compensate (tedium)
The fact that 9/10 pawns under lvl 80 (around that lvl people seem to have figured out to stop using it) have guardian so it shows that it's a really bad system

I love that the AI learns how to fight monsters, that in general the pathfinding is great (BBI being broken as hell in a few rooms aside) etc but they should have kept the invisible bar filling to decide inclinations out of it.
It reminds me of how you 'trained' your monster in black&white, that terrible peter molyneux game, it wasn't clever or fun then and it's very counter productive now.

aravuus

Come is also used to get pawns to grapple enemies if you are already climbing the enemy, it's good against flying enemies and a few others, but you never get to actually use it because it fucks your pawn's inclinations over time (which means more tedious resetting and causes hired pawns to usually be useless since other players spammed come)

help is used to get pawns to use curatives on themselves (very useful in certain scenarios when you are climbing a big enemy and don't want to have to jump down to pick up that idiot pawn that dies because he sits on 300 hp for a minute), heal , buff, remove debuffs and break grabs.
(the pawns themselves actually use the commands too... verbally, weird that it doesn't break my own brain AI huh:p )

go will attack enemies further ahead, might be used to get them to attack an enemy you are targetting I'm not sure, I use go a lot at the start of a fight just to make sure my tank stays scather

Oh huh, that explains a bunch of stuff. Thanks!

(it's a pretty crappy inclination, pawns will end up ignoring combat just to pick up that stray herb on the ground.)

It has worked fine so far as a secondary on my warrior pawn. Sure he grabs some useless rocks from the ground here and there mid-fight, but he usually waits till the fight is over. Saves me from constantly picking up stuff and giving it to him since I can't carry nearly as much as he can.

Oh huh, that explains a bunch of stuff. Thanks!

It has worked fine so far as a secondary on my warrior pawn. Sure he grabs some useless rocks from the ground here and there mid-fight, but he usually waits till the fight is over. Saves me from constantly picking up stuff and giving it to him since I can't carry nearly as much as he can.

The looting inclination is awesome in vanilla since it causes your pawns to pick up absolutely everything and mine for you (your pawn looting saves you a whoooooooole lot of inventory managment) and there is no need to use any commands in vanilla and a fight doesn't fall apart if your tank decides to go off to pick a flower (i'd NEVER put it on a sorc though)

But in BBI it's very counter productive,if your tank isn't tanking then your casters are getting knocked down and it falls apart like a house of cards, fights will take AGES that way.

Another use for help is aginst shadow dragons.
When it flies up in the air I use it so my pawns heal themselves right now, and not 10seconds later when the dragon is knocked down on the ground and they have a 10second window to free cast him into oblivion (but would rather decide to heal or use a herb), and so they won't get killed 95 percent into that high comestion spell.

aravuus

The looting inclination is awesome in vanilla since it causes your pawns to pick up absolutely everything and mine for you (your pawn looting saves you a whoooooooole lot of inventory managment) and there is no need to use any commands in vanilla and a fight doesn't fall apart if your tank decides to go off to pick a flower (i'd NEVER put it on a sorc though)

But in BBI it's very counter productive,if your tank isn't tanking then your casters are getting knocked down and it falls apart like a house of cards, fights will take AGES that way.

Alright, gotta keep that in mind. Good thing I got the bonus 100k of RC, I can play around with my pawn's inclinations a lot.

maomaoIYP

Using the commands in a combat or a non-combat situation also affects the inclinations. Go in a non combat situation will give pioneer while a combat situation will give scather. The rule of thumb to avoiding guardian or some other weak inclination is simply: play offensively, don't spam come/help, and use go if you're in combat but pawns are just chilling.

My only real complaint about the inclination system is that other players' commands affect it. I don't like it when my scather pawn comes back as a guardian.

my pawn likes to go nexus as secondary from time to time. doesn't do much wrong, so i'm in no hurry to change it.

i think it has something to do with pawns dying :eek:

Alright, gotta keep that in mind. Good thing I got the bonus 100k of RC, I can play around with my pawn's inclinations a lot.

What kind of main pawn do you have?
If it's a tank I'd just pick up scather and mitigator (just to fill the second slot so it doesnt become guardian), for a ranger or strider I'd use mitigator first then scather, for mage ultilitarian then mitigator (there's annoying small enemies that only spells can hit), for sorc scather then ultilitarian.

Dyno

Does anyone have a link to a list for what kinds of crafting you can do? I've upgraded weapons and armour but would like a list for alchemical items and the like. I'm collecting too many herbs and flowers. I want to see if I can do something with it all.

Thanks!

aravuus

What kind of main pawn do you have?
If it's a tank I'd just pick up scather and mitigator (just to fill the second slot so it doesnt become guardian), for a ranger or strider I'd use mitigator first then scather, for mage ultilitarian then mitigator (there's annoying small enemies that only spells can hit), for sorc scather then ultilitarian.

Tank, so I'll just change acquisitor to mitigator then. It's still a long way until BBI though.

Audioboxer

Reached the castle the goblins have taken over on a wyrmm quest. Once I've done all 4 wyrmm quests how far would you say I am into the game?

Really do not want it to end! /drool thinking about a next gen sequel. Hope Deep Down is it.

I also could not pick either this or DS/DK, they both scratch different itches for me. On a side note, DD >>>>>>> Skyrim.

I never had the drake in Devilfire Grove fly off like a cowardly griffin in vanilla DD, but it seems to happen all the time in DA. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just imagining it?

They screwed up at least one of the dragons.

After you kill The Dragon and you revisit the Everfall, new dragons will now populate the Gransys overworld. The one that is now a problem is the Wyvern that appears just south of the Stone of the North, in Deos Hills area; before, the Wyvern would fly around in circles until it spotted you -- Quest: Ambushed! -- and it would then descend to start the fight.

Now, though... it flies around until it spots you -- Quest: Ambushed! -- then it flies off in the direction of Bluemoon Tower and descends until it disappears beneath the ocean and -- Quest: Ambushed! FAILED -- that happens every time now.

Reached the castle the goblins have taken over on a wyrmm quest. Once I've done all 4 wyrmm quests how far would you say I am into the game?

Really do not want it to end! /drool thinking about a next gen sequel. Hope Deep Down is it.

I also could not pick either this or DS/DK, they both scratch different itches for me. On a side note, DD >>>>>>> Skyrim.

Wyrm quests are probably about 65-70 percent of the main story I think. (not counting post game)
Did you do the sidequests? I was about 50 hours into the game before I finished the story, then another 15-20 in post game, BBI has at least 20 hours more (more than that if you didn't have a lvl 100+ pawn already)

And yeah DD >>>>>> any rpg (especially skyrim) , witcher has a better story (but dd has a better sense of adventure in the overworld) but every single other thing is better about DD

So...what's the deal with the time cycle on BBI?

You can rest, but you can't choose when you wake up. The sky always looks the same, and my pawns always seem to want to use their lanterns even when they're outside. Is BBI beholden to the time of day in the rest of Gransys, or does it exist in some sort of perpetual twilight? I mostly want to know how it effects assassin augments.

And Autonomy and Bloodlust are bugged, right? They don't actually raise magic?

Audioboxer

Wyrm quests are probably about 65-70 percent of the main story I think. (not counting post game)
Did you do the sidequests? I was about 50 hours into the game before I finished the story, then another 15-20 in post game, BBI has at least 20 hours more (more than that if you didn't have a lvl 100+ pawn already)

Yeah I'm doing sidequests, I've been playing for a while.

By the way, two other questions, how does new game plus work? Is it simply the whole game again but harder?

Lastly, secret augments, should I be concerned about them right now, or are they simply exclusive to Dark Arisen content?

Cheers

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I've been loving this game a lot so far - but I still feel like I don't know crap about it, even with me sitting at level 40.

For example, my main character and main pawn are pretty much maxed out in two different vocations - should I just keep switching vocations?

I keep hearing about online play, but I don't really know anything about it.

I'm too scared to go deep into the expansions cave - I feel like I need to be like 80+ for that.

i HATE
i really HATE the third part of BBI ..that feelign when the water is so high and you can't see a thing and the torches you have to light up cost RC AND don't light a room properly enough. And there isn't nearly enough space to avoid some stuff.

GODDAMMIT !

I have no problem for the mystical eye , no problem with the knights , heack i mostly don't care about gorecyclops or the dragons..

But the elder ogres ? This isn't even hard it's just tedious. SO much HP for such a monster.

I really think the most balanced fight in the entire expansion is the final boss , daimon Because it doesn't feel cheap , and has the correct vibe in it.

But seriously ..BBI third part is full of painfull memories.

kaiju

I've been loving this game a lot so far - but I still feel like I don't know crap about it, even with me sitting at level 40.

For example, my main character and main pawn are pretty much maxed out in two different vocations - should I just keep switching vocations?

I'm too scared to go deep into the expansions cave - I feel like I need to be like 80+ for that.

If you want to experiment with all the different augments, then yes I would try the other vocations.

There is no online play other than the ability to hire other players pawns. Have you added your pawn to the DD:DA Friend list? (here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhmZYod-EUivdFJwRHJwenJzTVVnMkU2WDVVTWQyS3c#gid=0).

I'm level 40 also and will hire your pawn if you're playing on PS3.

aravuus

I've been fighting a drake for the past 15 minutes, slowly chipping away his health. No problem, except a huge fucking bunch of goblins came out of nowhere to completely ruin my flow, goddamn.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to beat him though, he suddenly seems to be taking waaay less damage. Can't remember if I had some kind of a tactic the last time I played or if I was just overleveled.

The pawns are hilarous though. "Look Arisen, a rope! Seems suspicious.." Yeah, how about the huge goddamn dragon breathing fire your way :V

Look at the wiki for the augments for each class and see which ones you'd like (there's a casttime one for sorcerer, some good nighttime ones from assassin, sinew from fighter etc)
Each vocation also gives different stats when you level
-fighter gives loads of health and good def (my 89 fighter pawn has 3700 hp and I've mostly leveled him as fighter, a bit of warrior and a little bit of sorc and ranger)
-ranger gives loads of stamina (leveled 20 levels as ranger and now my main char has 2700 stamina)
-assassin gives a lot of str

I wouldn't go level tooo much as a vocation you don't intend to play, if you get 30 lvls as sorc then try to go BBI as archer or assassin you'll have really low str and won't do much dmg, but in general you can safely try out the vocations without worrying about stats... just don't do something extreme as play sorc all game then swap to a physical class for BBI

I've been fighting a drake for the past 15 minutes, slowly chipping away his health. No problem, except a huge fucking bunch of goblins came out of nowhere to completely ruin my flow, goddamn.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to beat him though, he suddenly seems to be taking waaay less damage. Can't remember if I had some kind of a tactic the last time I played or if I was just overleveled.

Maybe your sorcerer pawn keeps getting interupted? Make sure he can cast freely. The goblins spawn from tripwires that you can trigger, fight away from them.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah I'm doing sidequests, I've been playing for a while.

By the way, two other questions, how does new game plus work? Is it simply the whole game again but harder?

Lastly, secret augments, should I be concerned about them right now, or are they simply exclusive to Dark Arisen content?

Cheers

Same, I've been doing nothing but sidequests before the wyrm hunt. Almost ready to begin them..

NG+ is simply another run. There's no difficulty or loot change, you simply keep your stats/gear.

Secret augments are gotten from BBI.

Vitanimus

Added my details to OP's docs. Thoroughly enjoying replaying DD, Capcom definitely got a lot right for a new IP. I am currently using the Queen clothing that you get when you have a DD save file, at what level should I stop using it?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just hit level 40 and I have 'okay' gear, and some really solid pawns... I still don't think I can get very far into the DLC dungeon though :(.

Also, I haven't ever - not once - used the D-Pad in this game. Except I think in the tutorial.

Depending on your class/equipment... dpad may be essential for requesting buffs. I use it all the time to send my pawn(s) ahead of me, and basically guarantee he never gets within spitting distance of guardian inclination.

Audioboxer

Added my details to OP's docs. Thoroughly enjoying replaying DD, Capcom definitely got a lot right for a new IP. I am currently using the Queen clothing that you get when you have a DD save file, at what level should I stop using it?

I'm still using it at level 30. Just remember to upgrade it. Think I have it at +1 or +2. The final stage ingredients seem tough to get.

So...what's the deal with the time cycle on BBI?

You can rest, but you can't choose when you wake up. The sky always looks the same, and my pawns always seem to want to use their lanterns even when they're outside. Is BBI beholden to the time of day in the rest of Gransys, or does it exist in some sort of perpetual twilight? I mostly want to know how it effects assassin augments.

And Autonomy and Bloodlust are bugged, right? They don't actually raise magic?

Time still passes as normal on Bitterblack, even though it is perpetual twilight -- which means Assassin augments are not always-on.

To pass the time to "actual" night, you have to rest at a normal place; resting at the benches in Bitterblack may only advance the time 6 or 12hrs each rest, but I haven't tested that.

And I'm not sure about Autonomy and Bloodlust being bugged for magic; the only time I've used them was as a Ranger and I wasn't paying attention to my magic stats.

aravuus

Goddamn, I think my strider support pawn just hacked away like a whole bar of that drake's health. Triss you fucking rock!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Depending on your class/equipment... dpad may be essential for requesting buffs. I use it all the time to send my pawn(s) ahead of me, and basically guarantee he never gets within spitting distance of guardian inclination.
Holy fuck, game changed.

maomaoIYP

Hrmm, was reading the wiki and it says they raise magic, too. I may have to experiment with this.

I just tested it, Bloodlust does increase magick. Not sure about autonomy, got to throw my pawn off a cliff first.

edit: shit it's way harder to kill my pawn than I thought LOL

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Holy fuck, game changed.

You obviously need to have a pawn who can enchant... and I find the highest success rate is when you request right before entering a battle. However, if your pawn has a bunch of different boons, and you are looking to get a specific boon to match the situation, then you need: 1) a pawn with the combat experience to recognize which is most effective for the enemy you're fighting 2) have requested the buff while in battle or at least when your pawns have seen and called out the enemy.

But I usually just have a pawn(s) with a single boon, and I usually ask for it before getting into the fight. 100% success rate that way.

Does anyone know the exact effect of the Magick Archer augment Magnitude? The wiki claims it "Increases cumulative damage to foes you debilitate with the Five Archmagicks by 50%", but what does that mean? Does it double the amount of poison damage I do, or does it extend the duration of debilitations on the enemy? Or does it increase the amount of general damage you deal to an enemy if they're also debilitated at the time?

I just tested it, Bloodlust does increase magick. Not sure about autonomy, got to throw my pawn off a cliff first.

Excellent, thanks.

aravuus

Motherfucker, at last! I'm already (just?) level 30 so it shouldn't really have taken half an hour, but I blame my inability to prepare. I was actually doing a mission when I ran into that drake and decided to try it out :V

Got my leather gloves dragonforged too.

I love this goddamn game, I want, no, NEED a sequel

maomaoIYP

Does anyone know the exact effect of the Magick Archer augment Magnitude? The wiki claims it "Increases cumulative damage to foes you debilitate with the Five Archmagicks by 50%", but what does that mean? Does it double the amount of poison damage I do, or does it extend the duration of debilitations on the enemy? Or does it increase the amount of general damage you deal to an enemy if they're also debilitated at the time?
Excellent, thanks.

If I'm not wrong it refers to the debilitations with the Five archmagicks namely caught on fire, frozen, shocked, etc. They are supposed to take more damage from these effects. Since the effect of holy is heal recovery to the player I suppose this could be tested.

Anyone have a 90-100 sorc with good bbi spells (levin, ice or lightning affinity , glicel, not too many ultra long casttime spells) and scather, and decent magic attack (1500+)

I looked through the google doc but didnt see one.

Also if anyone needs a fighter pawn, mine's 89 now, scather and mitigator (well once I fix him cos someone else hired him and made it nexus:p)
He has 800 def and tons of hp so he doesn't really die anymore.

I see two of you have added me (both mage pawns), I'll try to hire your mage pawns tonight or tomorrow.

If I'm not wrong it refers to the debilitations with the Five archmagicks namely caught on fire, frozen, shocked, etc. They are supposed to take more damage from these effects. Since the effect of holy is heal recovery to the player I suppose this could be tested.

So that includes dark (poison) too, right? Trying to squeeze as much out of High Miasma as possible.

maomaoIYP

May I have this dance?
46604810151492895397758.jpg

Aw I wanted to try dire gouge on my assassin but if you equip a sword you lose double jump and roll, no fun allowed.

What skills do you guys use as assassin or fighter in BBI? I want to try something different.

edit : sweet, found a 93 str ring from lv.2 gear purification:eek:

edit 2: is there a list somewhere of what items you can get from purification, the wiki is incomplete, I just got two that arent listed, some crappy longbow and a mace

edit3 : what the ef, I got a mystic knight weapon despite being assassin + fighter ? I thought that wasn't possible?

edit 4: so i guess the mystic knight item is a possible reward if you have a fighter, changed both to fighter and got carnation and the mystic weap, weird that I get the SAME weapons every time ,I can't seem to get a fucking dagger:(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Just started playing this, trying to get the hang of it, so just to be sure:

• there's no lock-on button (DS/Dark Souls-like)
• there's no evade/roll button

Right?

maomaoIYP

So that includes dark (poison) too, right? Trying to squeeze as much out of High Miasma as possible.

I don't think so, poison should be counted under the non-five magick debilitations, there's an assassin augment for that, "toxicity", which triples poison damage. Dark weapons never cause poison, so I don't think that counts as dark's debilitation damage.

Right?
Yes and no for both. Mages/sorcerers/magick archers can lock on certain attacks.
Dagger users have a special dodge action, which isn't very useful.

Right?

Dagger-users have a special dodge command that gets mapped to the X button (on PS3) after you learn it.

I don't think so, poison should be counted under the non-five magick debilitations, there's an assassin augment for that, "toxicity", which triples poison damage. Dark weapons never cause poison, so I don't think that counts as dark's debilitation damage.

Crap. Oh well, it'll save me the time of leveling up Magick Archer.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
But the elder ogres ? This isn't even hard it's just tedious. SO much HP for such a monster.

I really think the most balanced fight in the entire expansion is the final boss , daimon Because it doesn't feel cheap , and has the correct vibe in it.

But seriously ..BBI third part is full of painfull memories.

Use ice / thunder, nothing in BBI should really feel tedious unless you're doing the "hide in an alcove just out of the enemy reach while plinking away at the not very critical weakspots" strategy.

Yes and no for both. Mages/sorcerers/magick archers can lock on certain attacks.
Dagger users have a special dodge action, which isn't very useful.

Ehm the dodge is incredible, it gives you invulnerability frames...
You can dodge absolutely anything with it and it's very easy to use.
I can't imagine playing daggers without it.

Top Bottom