• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

maomaoIYP

Ehm the dodge is incredible, it gives you invulnerability frames...
You can dodge absolutely anything with it and it's very easy to use.
I can't imagine playing daggers without it.

Are you serious? Back in vanilla it was the general consensus that jumping away was far more reliable. I've never used it since then.

Would be really great if there were really i-frames, I've always disliked dagger vocations because they don't have a decent way of preventing damage.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
My brief time with dodge, I favored it over jump, but obviously I don't know the difference of it now and vanilla's version. Dodge is a-ok though. Levitate is fackin weird though, doesn't seem to stop fall damage.

I heard dodge got a major speed boost in DA, but I haven't tried it for myself.

The dodge animation is completely different.

It used to be a leaping dive-roll forward, now it's just a forward roll. It has a much better feel than the original and is actually a faster method of travel if you're above Average weight, without Leg Strength.

Going to ask again since it's a new page:

Does anyone know a purification guide or list that shows all the items.
I want to find an upgrade to my dragons vein since it doesn't cut it at all in BBI but I don't know where or how:(
I hate how much def the minibosses all have I am completely reliant on my caster pawns it seems (thankfully I now have good pawns)

Also something i've been meaning to ask for ages:
Drake's tear and wyrm's tear, what do these items do? It says they alter drops? I always figured they'd be quest items somewhere down the road but there was never a quest.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Also something i've been meaning to ask for ages:
Drake's tear and wyrm's tear, what do these items do? It says they alter drops? I always figured they'd be quest items somewhere down the road but there was never a quest.

If you have a drakes tear a wyrm tear and a wyvern year in your bags at all times it makes enemy in everfall drop wakestones more often, I don't know if this happens anywhere else though.

Use ice / thunder, nothing in BBI should really feel tedious unless you're doing the "hide in an alcove just out of the enemy reach while plinking away at the not very critical weakspots" strategy.

Already doing that ..this ennemy ( elder ogre ) is without a doubt the most unfun ennemy in the whole expansion just behind the red specters.

Dresden

Holy focused bolt is the best attack in the entire game of any vocation imo.
I've only found seism required for a single enemy in the entire game, otherwise bolide was better in every situation.

I like this set-up, mine's pretty similar except I keep Ingle around over Voidspell in case I need to snipe something manually. I only break out voidspell when I know I'm going to need it. Miasma is totally the sorcerer's hidden WMD, behind holy focused bolt.

And yeah, Seism is trash. I don't care for Bolide, either, outside of the initial spectacle.

Pity that Seism is so mediocre, but then, other spells look cooler anyways.

What I'm finding is that with the combination of holy focused bolt and miasma, I don't need filler spells to spam when taking out trash anymore. It's pretty nice, because I like the big, flashy spells.

As for Bolide, <3 how it looks but the only time it really stood out to me was against a hydra.

Are you serious? Back in vanilla it was the general consensus that jumping away was far more reliable. I've never used it since then.

Would be really great if there were really i-frames, I've always disliked dagger vocations because they don't have a decent way of preventing damage.

Uh...Masterful Kill stuffs almost any attack in the game. It's not just a damage mitigation tool, it's THE damage mitigation tool.

Additionally, Back Kick/Escape Onslaught have a whole ton of i-frames. It's what I use to kill Ogres in the quarry at a ridiculously low level.

More BBI stories, I killed the second boss solo (now at like L76) and now I'm in Rotwood Depository where they're REALLY trying to kill me. XD I found two chests with more Everfall weapons (still no Dragon's Pain, goddamnit...) down where the Eliminator and undead mages are. These seem to have Dragon's Quickening, Dragon's Risen, Dark Buckler, and Frigid Finger.

Again, if anyone finds a chest with Dragon's Pain in it on BBI, let me know. Even Dragonforged, my Bardiche Daggers are showing their age at this point and the Chilling Razors I got from Lv.1 Bitterblack Weapon aren't much better. I really, REALLY don't want to have to go all the way through the main game for an upgrade on them when pretty much every other weapon type has popped up. :(

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Already doing that ..this ennemy ( elder ogre ) is without a doubt the most unfun ennemy in the whole expansion just behind the red specters.

The elder ogre is a huge douche since he usually appears in small hallways which I think makes the encounter a lot harder than it needs to be but if you get him in a tight spawn he drops fast. I think with a Dragon's Glaze that is DF'ed to silver I explode him in about 8 or so ten fold arrow spams to the face.

twelver

I have a hard time getting focused bolt to work. I'll press and hold square, which will shoot off one shot, then it'll appear to be charging, but then I let go and no focused bolt comes out.. is there a certain period you have to hold it for??

maomaoIYP

As for Bolide, <3 how it looks but the only time it really stood out to me was against a hydra.
Bolide works superb against a relative common enemy deeper down in BBI.

Uh...Masterful Kill stuffs almost any attack in the game. It's not just a damage mitigation tool, it's THE damage mitigation tool.

Additionally, Back Kick/Escape Onslaught have a whole ton of i-frames. It's what I use to kill Ogres in the quarry at a ridiculously low level.

These I know, I was talking about i frames on the dodge move. RB + A. It was notorious for being completely useless in vanilla.
I found that MK with abyssal anguish seemed to work really well against the orges.

More BBI stories, I killed the second boss solo (now at like L76) and now I'm in Rotwood Depository where they're REALLY trying to kill me. XD I found two chests with more Everfall weapons (still no Dragon's Pain, goddamnit...) down where the Eliminator and undead mages are. These seem to have Dragon's Quickening, Dragon's Risen, Dark Buckler, and Frigid Finger.

Again, if anyone finds a chest with Dragon's Pain in it on BBI, let me know. Even Dragonforged, my Bardiche Daggers are showing their age at this point and the Chilling Razors I got from Lv.1 Bitterblack Weapon aren't much better. I really, REALLY don't want to have to go all the way through the main game for an upgrade on them when pretty much every other weapon type has popped up. :(

Are you on ps3?
I have 2 lvl 1 weapon things so I can purify a dragon's pain for you.
I'm using dragon's vein atm (which is better than dragon's pain,I believe) and I absolutely cannot put a dent into the ogre, wolf and dragon minibosses in BBI :(
I wish I could find the thunderwyvern horns required to upgrade them further.
i'm lvl 90 now and my str varies between 1100 and 1300 depending on day or night, I don't get how it is still this low. Did I level up as ranger and MA too much or what, I did like 40 levels as assassin and strider earlier in the game

Add me on ps3 (alilsneaky) I'll see if I can purify the daggers now I'll let you know in a min.

edit: yeah it worked, got some incredibly shitty longbow and the dragon's pain.

LaneDS

Just caved and bought Dark Arisen after returning to the original over the weekend. Main and pawn were level 45 and I was on the near end game quest
The Final Battle, which I know isn't really the end
. I ended up loaning my original copy to a co-worker.

Should I just resume with that save in Dark Arisen, finish the game, and then move into the expansion content? Will that put me around a good level to start on the new stuff? Hoping yes!

Either way, excited to get back into the game.

kaiju

It's amazing how many people's pawns have Guardian as their primary or secondary. Tons. So sad.

And you really have to search to find DD:DA pawns, I hate to use vanilla pawns because I want to reuse the ones I like and need to make sure they are leveling up.

A lot of people on the pawn google doc are not updating their levels...a shame because I am trying to use pawns around my level to keep the 2nd half of vanilla challenging.

I admit I'm beginning to get picky about which pawns I choose. Signs of a pawn addiction?

So have we found a way to control what we get through purifying cursed gear yet, or is it always the same?

I have a hard time getting focused bolt to work. I'll press and hold square, which will shoot off one shot, then it'll appear to be charging, but then I let go and no focused bolt comes out.. is there a certain period you have to hold it for??

It has three stages. First you have to hold down the light attack button, then a sort of charge appears on your staff. This is the charging animation, and not the animation that indicates it's ready. After the charging animation another one should appear, along with a sound cue. That's when you're ready to fire.

You'll usually see little balls of energy radiating around your archistaff when a focused bolt is ready.

branny

It's amazing how many people's pawns have Guardian as their primary or secondary. Tons. So sad.
To be fair, I don't expect many players to check up on their pawn's inclinations every time they sleep at an inn, use potions to reset everything back to whatever it was before, and then sleep at the inn again to update their fixed pawn.

The inclination "learning" system remains a hassle that I wouldn't mind being totally removed in favor of a little more AI programming.

So have we found a way to control what we get through purifying cursed gear yet, or is it always the same?

It has three stages. First you have to hold down the light attack button, then a sort of charge appears on your staff. This is the charging animation, and not the animation that indicates it's ready. After the charging animation another one should appear, along with a sound cue. That's when you're ready to fire.

You'll usually see little balls of energy radiating around your archistaff when a focused bolt is ready.

I hate that ability, it always fires a normal bolt first, in the time it takes to fire the normal bolt, reset the animation and fully charge you can almost one of the uberspells

Also wow, I just realised why my str is SHIT, I never leveled fighter to rank 9 so I don't have the +20 percent str augment....
Swapped my tank pawn to strider for the time (strider with 3700 hp, pretty funny) and myself to fighter<<.<<

twelver

Thanks

I hate that ability, it always fires a normal bolt first, in the time it takes to fire the normal bolt, reset the animation and fully charge you can almost one of the uberspells

I was thinking the same thing...

maomaoIYP

This is the fastest way to fire focused bolt. I can fire and refire them faster than I can fire high ingle.
1) Press and hold light button, jump to cancel the normal bolt.
2) After charging release light button and immediately rehold it, and jump immediately after the shots come out to cancel the recovery animation.
3) Repeat step 2.

There are other ways to cancel the normal bolt animation as well.
Hold the button during: 1) the braking animation after a sprint, 2) the rolling animation after a sprint jump landing, 3) climbing.

This is the fastest way to fire focused bolt. I can fire and refire them faster than I can fire high ingle.
1) Press and hold light button, jump to cancel the normal bolt.
2) After charging release light button and immediately rehold it, and jump immediately after the shots come out to cancel the recovery animation.
3) Repeat step 2.

There are other ways to cancel the normal bolt animation as well.
Hold the button during: 1) the braking animation after a sprint, 2) the rolling animation after a sprint jump landing, 3) climbing.

Thanks for the info but that isn't for me, they should have just let you hold the button to begin with instead of the broken normal fire and having to glitch animations

branny

Thanks for the info but that isn't for me, they should have just let you hold the button to begin with instead of the broken normal fire and having to glitch animations
Would you want them to take out the double air heavy attack float cancel thing, too? I found it invaluable when all your blunt attack companions are too stupid or dead to do anything about those pesky golems...

edit: I realize that Exequy exists and that some spells can still inflict damage, but there have been some situations where I was forced to resort to this, lol.

Let my pawn go strider but he seems too retarded to shoot the heart of shadow dragons, all he does is climb on it's back legs and shit, which accomplishes absolutely nothing:(

phierce

This may have been discussed before, but I can't really find anything on it.

Is there a difference within BBI depending if you're on a NG+ or post-dragon?

Just curious.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This may have been discussed before, but I can't really find anything on it.

Is there a difference within BBI depending if you're on a NG+ or post-dragon?

Just curious.

As some one who went from post dragon BBI into NG+ BBI, I can't tell if there is a difference. I don't know if I have to rebeat it to make it 2.0 but for now it feels the same...well I'm a lot more powerful now so it's probably easier.

phierce

As some one who went from post dragon BBI into NG+ BBI, I can't tell if there is a difference. I don't know if I have to rebeat it to make it 2.0 but for now it feels the same...well I'm a lot more powerful now so it's probably easier.
So you didn't notice new/different quests between NG+/post-dragon?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So you didn't notice new/different quests between NG+/post-dragon?

Well I noticed that the first three notice board quests you pick up right behind Olra auto complete as soon as you accept them, but you don't get the reward only XP and Gold. Other than that it appears that there are other notice board quests but I am not sure if they're new or if I just missed them the first time around. Like collecting 30 macabre statues or something.

You still have to go to the specific notice board in the rest areas in BBI to get them, like the kill death quest will only be given to you by the one in the Arisens Rest.

branny

^Is it nighttime? Olra only shows up at night, but I don't know of any requirements beyond that.

Let my pawn go strider but he seems too retarded to shoot the heart of shadow dragons, all he does is climb on it's back legs and shit, which accomplishes absolutely nothing:(
Lol, at least he's a strider! I'm sick of mage/sorc pawns forgetting what class they are and climbing dragons...

Cumbersome to set up, can't move from the place you casted the cannon...does it pass through foes and hit multiple weak points at once? I don't know, actually. I'll take my focused bolt.

It does hit multiple weak points at once. And they don't take that long to setup (especially since I hear the element of your weapon auto enchants the Cannon now) since you only need two.

I'd rather be MK myself because if something goes bad you're still an MK with all their other good tricks and survivability. Whereas a mage/sorc getting tagged by online Ur (or worse, BBI mobs)...yeah it's gonna hurt.

shahkur

Been reading this thread here and there, so I figured I'd post at last.

Completed the game on Normal yesterday and now I'm on NG+.

My main is an Assassin and my pawn is Fighter.

I just started BBI today and got up to the eye boss, who is posing quite a challenge. I'm on level 50, and was wondering if I'm too low level to even bother advancing or do I have a chance to beat it? Any tactics?

And regarding this Ur-dragon? Where can I find it and will I be able to beat it with my current status?

Also, there's been something bugging me since I beat Grigori. When you get to the open area at the end to fight him, he had FULL HEALTH (as I expected). But here's the problem: It literally took me less than a minute (around 40 seconds) to beat him, as in all health completely gone. Is this normal? I mean, I was only on Level 39 at the time, and my highest pawn was Level 40.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man..I dunno how people beat the game at levels like 40..I'm 30 now and haven't started the wyrm hunts lol.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Been reading this thread here and there, so I figured I'd post at last.

Completed the game on Normal yesterday and now I'm on NG+.

My main is an Assassin and my pawn is Fighter.

I just started BBI today and got up to the eye boss, who is posing quite a challenge. I'm on level 50, and was wondering if I'm too low level to even bother advancing or do I have a chance to beat it? Any tactics?

And regarding this Ur-dragon? Where can I find it and will I be able to beat it with my current status?

Also, there's been something bugging me since I beat Grigori. When you get to the open area at the end to fight him, he had FULL HEALTH (as I expected). But here's the problem: It literally took me less than a minute (around 40 seconds) to beat him, as in all health completely gone. Is this normal? I mean, I was only on Level 39 at the time, and my highest pawn was Level 40.

Assuming you had a monster of a weapon and jumped on his weakspot right away doing holy damage yeah that sounds pretty accurate since your level doesn't amount to as much as a good weapon.

I said before that about 1200 (combined if it's a perma enchanted weapon and you aren't a mage / sorc) in your main stat is where you can feel comfortable pushing through all of BBI, it isn't that hard of a figure to get I think that Chilled Daggers dragonforged is about +900 on its own. Since you're in NG+ the Ur Dragon can be accessed via a riftstone in starfall bay in cassardis which is the little beach on the right most side under the stone arch. Otherwise you can access him via everfall in the chamber of lament which is like floor 11 I believe.

As for the eyeball boss in BBI I beat him by breaking all the stalks on the surface untill eventually he summoned 4 tentacles on the ground that were casting a spell, killing those 4 let me hit an orb that shot lasers at it that did massive damage.

If you let the tentacles finish casting the spell it kills everyone in the room.

Man..I dunno how people beat the game at levels like 40..I'm 30 now and haven't started the wyrm hunts lol.

It depends how many side missions you do, if you do a decent amount of them you'll be around 50 by the end, also weapon is much more important than level.

It does hit multiple weak points at once. And they don't take that long to setup (especially since I hear the element of your weapon auto enchants the Cannon now) since you only need two.

I'd rather be MK myself because if something goes bad you're still an MK with all their other good tricks and survivability. Whereas a mage/sorc getting tagged by online Ur (or worse, BBI mobs)...yeah it's gonna hurt.

The best thing about BBI on hard as a sorcerer is that I don't have to worry about any curatives!

Because everything one-shots me.

Lol a little past the second shortcut:
a lich 3 giant dogs AND death spawn

Fuck you too game! pff death put me to sleep despite 70 percent sleep resistance
Retried then death didn't spawn and I beat the 3 dog bosses and the lich^^

Can you force death to spawn later? this is the third time I meet him, I could dmg him now for the first time but since I had to reload I havent had a chance to take any hp.

Now I'm at the infamous double gorecyclops room... got oneshot by one of those mages-.-
I think I'll leave them chained up and see what's ahead...

aravuus

And suddenly my tank/warrior pawn has a nexus secondary inclination. The wiki says it's pretty good for a secondary, but it also says to avoid it as it's kind of like guardian. Any experiences?

Also yay, got the gold idol. Fuck you little girl! Now to the black cat.

Also, best way to grind vocation ranks? I really want that Sinew augment but I'm not too fond of the fighter class. Should I kill strong monsters, weak monsters, what?

phierce

And suddenly my tank/warrior pawn has a nexus secondary inclination. The wiki says it's pretty good for a secondary, but it also says to avoid it as it's kind of like guardian. Any experiences?

Also yay, got the gold idol. Fuck you little girl! Now to the black cat.
Use the knowledge chairs every so often and your secondary inclination will not randomly change.

I've never used Nexus for any pawn, but most say it sucks.

Lol a little past the second shortcut:
a lich 3 giant dogs AND death spawn

Fuck you too game! pff death put me to sleep despite 70 percent sleep resistance
Retried then death didn't spawn and I beat the 3 dog bosses and the lich^^

Can you force death to spawn later? this is the third time I meet him, I could dmg him now for the first time but since I had to reload I havent had a chance to take any hp.

Death always spawn at The Bloodless Stockade (the sewer area after the Arisen's Refuge) until you kill Daimon for the first time. After you kill Daimon, Death spaws randomly through BBI.

Top Bottom