• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

First time player here, never had it on consoles. I'm about 7 hours into it. I'm not sold on the overworld stuff yet, but the few dungeons I've done have been extremely enjoyable. The combat is solid, but I must admit I never expected such janky animation. Fighting, jumping, running, this is like Divinity II or Risen levels. The interface is a bit hit or miss but I do like how the buying/selling works. And I love that there are NPC schedules in this game, it's a small deal for most, but I really dislike NPC's who man shops 24/7, never changing. Why even bother with a day/night cycle if there is no real difference? Not so here, day/night feel quite different and even quest giving NPC's have scheduled events.

I must say though, the towns (only the starting town and capital so far) feel very empty. Sure there are some people wandering the streets, but even the filler feels half-done. Houses (when you can go in them) are mostly just emtpy boxes with bare shelves, little to no furniture and maybe a fire pit.

But so far, loving my time with it!

Durante

Thank you both, I'll try to see if I can recreate it now. I had just turned it off due to the load times, I should mention this was at 4K native on my Samsung TV, not sure if that was just a ton of data to push through, but the load times had extreme deltas.
Rendering resolution shouldn't really relate to load times. I can't think of anything other than shader hash calculation it could be. I'll test this tomorrow.

The load time stuff could be related to shader tracking, but it really shouldn't be that significant. If I can reproduce it I might have a look. For tweaking in real time, what I do is force the game to borderless fullscreen (for easier alt-tab) and keybind the "reloadShaders" action. Then you can edit the shader file, reload it in-game and directly see the result.
Not sure if you keep up with ENB or saw this yet, but ENB had issues with long load times as well (mine went from a few seconds to well over a minute on SSD) and this is what Boris found, maybe this information can help:

Uh, found what's the problem with long loading screens, thanks for fellow programmer for an idea. It's because other game threads eat cpu time and slowing down thread which creating shaders. Manually forcing thread to be on different cpu core makes shaders creation fast, but because thread is still on that core, loading other game data became much longer.

and this was what he said he tried to solve it:

Fixed longer loading screens by forcing rendering thread to sleep if shaders are spawning by the game, seems work okay.

Landford

Banned
Rendering resolution shouldn't really relate to load times. I can't think of anything other than shader hash calculation it could be. I'll test this tomorrow.

Im having the same issue. Yesterday, I only used the force borderless option on Gedosato, normal load times. Today i activated anti aliasing (smaa) and depth of field, and the load times are at least three times longer. disabling smaa and depth of field solved it.

Please tell me there's a way to skip the tutorial. (And that all the collectables at this point are worthless.) The game crashed just as I was putting in the final touches on my character and now I have to start all over again...

Playing as a pure sorcerer and loving it. Necromancy is my first "oomph" spell so far so I can't wait to see where it goes from here. I love slinging magic that just covers the screen and have heard this game is one of the best for that.

2911BCF17DD271D1BAAC9A0E630E731F06423E8B

My Phyllis Diller mage is looking a lot like Queen Elizabeth with this outfit. I need some new threads. PS: What a fucking adventure it was getting Adaro to his destination. Accidentally went in some sewers and fought a
cyclops
, fought a
chimera
on the way and then started running past the other huge baddies.

My pawn is a big ol' warrior brute. He's also a great pack mule!

Please tell me there's a way to skip the tutorial. (And that all the collectables at this point are worthless.) The game crashed just as I was putting in the final touches on my character and now I have to start all over again...
There isn't, but you can just dash through everything and go straight to the part with the harpies, get the gate open, then dash to the boss and just let it kill you. That's the fastest way to clear it that I know of.

Jin

Which one?

That's the one.
I killed the first ogre, the second one manage to fall off the cliff, avoided one Chimera and ran from the second one into a lake with some Phantasm. With only one caster in my group I said fuck it and ran straight to the red marker.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I know theres no big release atm to compete but cool to see the game still on the top of the steam charts

Artdayne

This game has the most amazing boss fights, I know that's been said before but it cannot be understated. When you see one of your pawns getting eaten by a monster and you can see the lump of their body inside the monster and you have to shoot them out to free them, holy crap!

What is the most fun melee class?

Probably Warrior.

There's just something special about going full bezerk, swinging a big ass sword around knocking down everything in its path.

and also this........

giphy.gif

and this too........

giphy.gif

yea........thats not something you wanna get hit by.

Saprol

I hope there'll be a mod that lets you run 6 Warrior skills.

I've read that switching to whatever vocation you want is no big deal, but is there any reason not to immediately switch my vocation from strider to mystic knight (and my pawn's from fighter to strider) upon reaching Gran Soren? I don't care about min/maxing, but if there is something else I should do first that makes a knight far more effective I would probably do it.

I guess I'm just paranoid that switching to such a different class has some drawback I'm not seeing.
You could look into what augments you might want, as those can be learned and equipped across classes.

Mesoian

Yo, has anyone experienced a monster closet bug in the northern forest at night? I just fought like....100 direwolves at once. They just kept spawning over and over and over.

Sarcasm

Not sure if you keep up with ENB or saw this yet, but ENB had issues with long load times as well (mine went from a few seconds to well over a minute on SSD) and this is what Boris found, maybe this information can help:

and this was what he said he tried to solve it:

How do you force it?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Dudes:

- The game pauses while you're in your inventory
- Healing items can be used from your inventory
- Healing items are instant
- Healing items are cheap
- You can buy infinite healing items

Messing with your carrying capacity is essentially fucking any semblance of difficulty the game has. Without a weight limit you can start the game, sell your DLC items, buy a shitload of health items and fire bombs, go to the expansion island and skip 90% of the game's progression.

It's your game and your time, but you're going to kick yourself once you realize how your inventory limit was a key part of game's balance.

there are DLC items?

Been so into this game I haven't had time to post!

Can I just say that the one mod I want is one that makes NPCs and Pawn's torches actually cast light and not just have that "glow" effect sprite or whatever.

Ryne

There are some great pawns I'm taking advantage of, I hope they fix that bug soon so that you get something from me using them.

I should really move on in the game, I'm just goofing around and haven't made much progress. I'm enjoying the world much more this time though.

Why this pawn look like he about to drop the hottest mixtape of Gran Soren?
That's a dignified looking pawn/arisen.

And Dre_G_Writer's gifs make me want to reconsider using the strider, that looks so fun.

There are some great pawns I'm taking advantage of, I hope they fix that bug soon so that you get something from me using them.

I should really move on in the game, I'm just goofing around and haven't made much progress. I'm enjoying the world much more this time though.

That's a dignified looking pawn/arisen.

And Dre_G_Writer's gifs make me want to reconsider using the strider, that looks so fun.

Yo bruh, you gotta try it, how else would you be giving dudes the 3pc. meal combo!?

giphy.gif

Dudes stay getting rekt.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh its the monacle that sells for 300k? Not that I need gold atm but I have it on my pawn, might aswell sell it just so im able to buy future upgrades as soon as they show up

Top Bottom