• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

branny

Looking at its sales in Japan I'm feeling good about its sequel potential.

What would you guys want?

I just want more. More everything. More enemies, more cities, more dungeons.

Just give me more.
I want more, too. More weather, more towns, more dungeons, more secrets, more weirdness, more randomness, more diverse areas, more equipment, more classes, more abilities, more story, more quests, more enemies, more more more!

edit: and successively scaling new game+ like Demon's Souls/Dark Souls to keep the challenge

edit 2: or maybe just a "pure" mode that gets rid of stats and leveling and turns the game into Monster Hunter where your skill as a player is more important

garath

So I just watched the quick look for this, tell me about portal stones. The lack of fast travel seems annoying and patrick only just found one portal stone after his ~20 hours of play right at the end of the quick look and didn't get to use it.

How do those things work? Are they sufficient for moving around the world instead of the massive travel time to get anywhere?

Alucrid

Banned
Why does Ur-Dragon's health keep switching between half and like 4/5s online?

So I just watched the quick look for this, tell me about portal stones. The lack of fast travel seems annoying and patrick only just found one portal stone after his ~20 hours of play right at the end of the quick look and didn't get to use it.

How do those things work? Are they sufficient for moving around the world instead of the massive travel time to get anywhere?

You get stones that teleport you from anywhere to a single city. They're one use. Later on you get an item that acts as a beacon for those stones. You can put this item anywhere outside and teleport to it or the city. In NG+ you can get multiple of these beacons to use.

Rain would be cool.

They need to make nighttime more dangerous. Don't just spawn lots of filler undead. I wish the regular game was harder in general.

Need fast travel between big areas. Use a carriage system, sort of like stilt striders in Morrowind.

If there's rain in the sequel I forsee a load of rants about slipping off a cliff and dying XD, it's likely you won't get the assist that ensure you don't fall off a cliff whilst walking =D

Dresden

If there's rain in the sequel I forsee a load of rants about slipping off a cliff and dying XD, it's likely you won't get the assist that ensure you don't fall off a cliff whilst walking =D

Would be awesome if it rained during night. Lamp soaked, drenched, no fire magic, and then something big swoops in . . . oh my.

joe2187

Banned

You buy ferrystones, each stone is a one use fast travel portal back to the main city. The stones cost coin and can be bought from multiple merchants at varied prices.

Later in the game during a quest you'll have a chance to grab a port-crystal which you can place down anywhere in the world and use a ferry-stone to fast travel to, place it wisely.

branny

They already have interaction with water (getting soaked affects you in different ways), so rain and snow would be relatively natural additions. It's really bizarre to me that this game lacks the diversity seen in Monster Hunter games where you regularly have snow areas, desert, lava, rainforest, etc.

Here's why you should play a mystic archer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyVB_T9dYXY
The best part that you can't tell from a video is how your controller vibrates like crazy when this happens. :p

Dresden

They already have interaction with water (getting soaked affects you in different ways), so rain and snow would be relatively natural additions. It's really bizarre to me that this game lacks the diversity seen in Monster Hunter games where you regularly have snow areas, desert, lava, rainforest, etc.

I wonder just what kind of framerate we'll get outside with the rain going.

I feel like they should overhaul the way quests are doled out and recorded in the log. I'd like to see all the 'Kill X number of this enemy' quests separated out into a persistant challenge system, sort of like RDR Ambient Challenge or the ones in Borderlands, rather than having to go and pick up a particular quest before you can start progressing it. Actual quests should be reserved for the bigger stuff with some story behind it.

Speaking of which, the quests should be interlaced with more story and dialogue to build up more character in the world. Also more quest chains where you are interacting with NPCs over a longer period.

1stStrike

Banned

Remember that it's a new IP and that there's still a lot of the map that's fogged over. We could always get DLC expansions later or they might be saving it for the next game (if there is one). It's the first in a (hopefully) series so I can cut them some slack on that.

Astra

I want more, too. More weather, more towns, more dungeons, more secrets, more weirdness, more randomness, more diverse areas, more equipment, more classes, more abilities, more story, more quests, more enemies, more more more!

edit: and successively scaling new game+ like Demon's Souls/Dark Souls to keep the challenge

edit 2: or maybe just a "pure" mode that gets rid of stats and leveling and turns the game into Monster Hunter where your skill as a player is more important

The bolded cannot be stated enough. I suppose some people enjoy a cakewalk on a NG+, but it should be an option to have nightmarish enemies on a NG+. Hell, even have difficulty levels to start with, and not the type you can change at anytime in the game. If you start on hard, you're stuck with hard unless you restart. Playing on hard should be more than enemies doing more damage and taking more hits. It should change enemy placement, the variety of mobs, the percentage of strong weapon/armor acquisition should also be decreased.

I really hope we see a sequel for this one.

For a sequel, Id like:
-Smaller bosses. The current ones are too difficult and take too long to scale.
-No dragons. Theyre so overplayed in games these days.
-Brighter nighttime. Its too hard to see.
-All weapon upgrade materials can be bought for cheap prices
-Fast travel to anywhere unlocked from the very beginning
-Unlimited lamp oil
-Auto health regen
-Call it Dragons Dogma 2: Revengeance

I think thats everything! Let me know what you guys think!

There also needs to be a narrative mode, where it pretty much plays the game for you!

Salaadin

For a sequel, Id like:
-Unlimited lamp oil
-Auto health regen

For a sequel, Id like:
-Unlimited lamp oil
-Auto health regen

i think i'd pass

Alucrid

Banned
For a sequel, Id like:
-Unlimited lamp oil
-Auto health regen

I sense...bacon, no, sarcasm.

1stStrike

Banned
lol that seems so broken in a way. I've got rank 9 strider, rank 10 ranger, and I'm currently rank 3 in Assassin. So far none of those classes have made a battle that easy.

But, if the magic archer were to fight that outside, would the bolts ricochet like that? =P

Nah, ricochet is useless in open spaces. I usually trade it out for the void arrow in open spaces. What that does is create basically a vacuum around whatever mob you shoot with the arrow - and any nearby small enemies will be sucked into it. So you'll have all these mobs stuck against the main one while it runs around trying to get away - then you can just sunflare them all in one shot :p

None of the classes are really "broken" though, in my opinion. They all have a weakness. Anything that's resistant to magic kind of fucks me over as a mystic archer. I literally can do almost no damage to them.

branny

I would also like the sequel to have a crazy theme song again. It wouldn't be Dragon's Dogma without one.

I wonder just what kind of framerate we'll get outside with the rain going.
60fps

But, if the magic archer were to fight that outside, would the bolts ricochet like that? =P
Nope... They'd just go poof after one or two hits.

But that's what Explosive Rivet is for!

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So after walking around with a 1 star undulant sword basically just skating by without new armor or weapons or a bow for the last 12 or so levels. Was almost getting frustrated to the point where I was seeking out shops I hadn't been to in a really long time just to see if they had updated through my story progression or something ... and no. They haven't. So i decide ... to hell with this .. imma kill me a drake!

Make the hike up to hellfire woods and it doesn't take 2 minutes to find that beastie just chillin.. not doin shit. I zoom and take my opening assassin shot and then get to work. Haaaard ass fight. Dodging and recovery rolls and curatives galore... even got carried.. and dropped... from above the tree line and survived with 41 hp (!!!) .. ended up taking the fight well into the night. Shooting at his open heart through the darkness. His last 3 health bars I fucking stormed through. Got him on the ground trippin .. tryin to turn one of my pawns against me .. rolled him over like a puppy and went to town. Felt. Good. Man. Got a retarded amount of dragony loot off him and smiled my way back to camp.

With a new found joy in my current adventure I go to see if the way past that gate up north is open. Along the way I find... Soulflayer canyon? Whats this place?
I'll tell you what it is. King Tut's fucking TOMB that's what it is!! 3 new swords, 1 new warrior weapon, perfect new assassin gear (hands and torso clothes), MONEY like what and soo much more... every time I may think about this game starting to slow down or not treat me right it gives me a night like this. Fucking brilliant.

Also - I sent my 2 pawns home to their masters with knowledge on how to fight drakes (they both exclaimed at the beginning "How to even fight such a beast!?" - and then later "I've learned new ways!") ... feels gud man!

For a sequel, Id like:
-Unlimited lamp oil
-Auto health regen

I think it's hilarious.

So I've beaten the true boss
I stabbed him with the godsbane, how do I complete the game now?

Being a God is boring isn't it? The Godsbane is still in your inventory. Why not give it a look?

Being a God is boring isn't it? The Godsbane is still in your inventory. Why not give it a look?

Yes, yes it is...
well be a limitied god is boring:p

But overall I enjoyed the game, and liked the final twist. It seemed to come out of nowhere but now that I think about it it was alluded throughout the game. That's how you do a twist, not the way ME3 did it.

God, I can't wait for the end. I love the game and I want to keep playing afterwards, but the post-game and ending twist are so hyped by everybody it's all I can do to keep from spoiling it for myself. I just
aided Mercedes at the North Fortress and I'm heading to the southern waycastle for my next quest
, how long do I have until the end?

Hahaha, dragon forged all of my Arisen's weapons and his main piece of armor in one fight. Feels good.

God, I can't wait for the end. I love the game and I want to keep playing afterwards, but the post-game and ending twist are so hyped by everybody it's all I can do to keep from spoiling it for myself. I just
aided Mercedes at the North Fortress and I'm heading to the southern waycastle for my next quest
, how long do I have until the end?

Hahaha, dragon forged all of my Arisen's weapons and his main piece of armor in one fight. Feels good.

Nowhere near THE twist, sorry:(

But enjoy the lead up:D

I want to progress the story but I got to a bit where I can meet
the Duke, however it says that any quests I have will be forfeit. Are they just talking about the other quests I picked up from Ser Max, which I've now completed, or all the quests I have in my log?

I want to progress the story but I got to a bit where I can meet
the Duke, however it says that any quests I have will be forfeit. Are they just talking about the other quests I picked up from Ser Max, which I've now completed, or all the quests I have in my log?

They're just talking about the Ser Max quests.

branny

Speaking of exploits, I think I found a horribly suboptimal, completely pointless way to auto-level yourself in postgame. It'd take hours to match just going outside and killing things for a minute or so, but it's pretty funny to watch.
In Gran Soren, the noble area remains filled with infinitely spawning guard enemies that are great ways to test out your builds. They give crap exp and have shitty drops, but if you jump onto a fence or something, they won't follow you. Your pawns don't seem to get damaged by them, either. So you can just stand there looking down on your pawns endlessly beating the shit out of them.

edit: Nevermind, the pawns do get damaged.

So I'm on the final boss and it seems unbeatable for me since I have a mage pawn who won't attack and insists on healing instead.

Anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.

That ending...

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Is there any difference for primary/secondary skills for a mage? I assume they use what they want and when they want. Also, they seem to learn what hurts which monsters right? Last night they were casting the lighting augment for weapons for zombies which did nothing, but switched to fire.

made me laugh :) ...

i mean, no one would really take the time to deliberately raise a troll pawn, would they? getting evil ideas :) ...

The weird thing is his spell setup and equipment are pretty legit, especially for being only level 24. He performed well in other battles but its obvious his owner never used the ogre scroll on him because he acts like a total moron during that battle. It also doesn't help that my character is female and the ogre wants to get busy with me. I spend most of the battle running in circles while my party of all male pawns mill around ineffectually. MEN.

My Sorcerer Pawn:

120529-2304-22.jpg

120529-2304-51.jpg

Top Bottom