• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Alucrid

Banned
I realize it would mean abandoning the pawn system, but I would love to be able to customize and deck out three pawns on my own. I get almost as much fun leveling my pawns vocations and equipment as much as my main. The option to do that with two more pawns would be awesome for me. Maybe save it for new game+ though.

No, that ruins the whole idea of pawns and just makes them regular ai controlled teammates.

Oh shit, you're on my friends list.

1stStrike

Banned
Opposite for me. Damn that merchant there with his expensive goods. I didn't have the money to buy what I wanted. :(

I'm a pack rat. I literally saved everything I found/upgraded and when I found him I only had like 250k in gold. So I went to the sell screen, R1's over to my storage and started selling all of the weapons/armor that I knew I'd never use again. Ended up with almost 2 mill in gold and bought everything I wanted then upgraded it.

I'm down to like 250k again, but my main character is looking so sweet in her new equipment.

I love this post. Just might make me buy this game!

If that's all it takes to make you want to buy this game then you might as well hop on board. It's a great game and loot is only one aspect of it.

I haven't done anything but random quests and the Wyrm hunt stuff since I arrived in Gran Soren. Now I'd like to progress in the story a bit, but get a warning that my current stuff will be lost.

Will all my quests be cancelled if I talk to the duke? How far am I into the game?

UGH. I am having the worst time killing ogres. I fought the first one in the cave by the quarry like four times in a row last night and I came close to beating him but never quite did it. I'm level 22 and a Magic Archer (only rank 3 though, I used to be a Strider). I feel like I shouldn't be having so much of a problem. It doesn't help that Pawns can be such morons. I had a level 24 Sorcerer pawn in my party and that idiot kept jumping on the ogre's back and taking a ton of damage. All I needed was someone to cast fire on his head! I'm feeling kind of weak in general, especially for my level. I am sort of regretting that I didn't switch vocations sooner. I think I might just go wander around outside and try and kill guys so I can raise my rank.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I haven't done anything but random quests and the Wyrm hunt stuff since I arrived in Gran Soren. Now I'd like to progress in the story a bit, but get a warning that my current stuff will be lost.

Will all my quests be cancelled if I talk to the duke? How far am I into the game?

Only the Wyrm Hunt quests will be cancelled if you talk to the Duke. It won't affect any of your other quests.

UGH. I am having the worst time killing ogres. I fought the first one in the cave by the quarry like four times in a row last night and I came close to beating him but never quite did it. I'm level 22 and a Magic Archer (only rank 3 though, I used to be a Strider). I feel like I shouldn't be having so much of a problem. It doesn't help that Pawns can be such morons. I had a level 24 Sorcerer pawn in my party and that idiot kept jumping on the ogre's back and taking a ton of damage. All I needed was someone to cast fire on his head! I'm feeling kind of weak in general, especially for my level. I am sort of regretting that I didn't switch vocations sooner. I think I might just go wander around outside and try and kill guys so I can raise my rank.

Try to use the terrain there to your advantage. There's a doorway not too far from where the Ogre sits. Lure him into the doorway and he'll get "stuck" and keep trying to charge through the door at you. From there, just keep an eye on your pawns while firing off Threefold/Sixfold Bolts. If your Sorc pawn is being stupid, swap him out. His owner obviously didn't train him right. :lol

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
People complaining about Bandits and Ogres are just too underleveled. It's wise to ignore them until you are in the lvl 25 - 30 range.

I'm a pack rat. I literally saved everything I found/upgraded and when I found him I only had like 250k in gold. So I went to the sell screen, R1's over to my storage and started selling all of the weapons/armor that I knew I'd never use again. Ended up with almost 2 mill in gold and bought everything I wanted then upgraded it.

I'm down to like 250k again, but my main character is looking so sweet in her new equipment.
I could have sold a lot of things to get them as well. :( Oh well, I'll blaze through the game again and get 'em.

My first ogre encounter will always be a memorable experience.

It was that mission you get from Barnaby, I only had one other support pawn at the time, a strider. I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be able to kill that thing be we were fighting it for a good 20 minutes, my support pawns ends up getting tossed down into the abyss, me and my main pawn are low on health but I don't won't to run because I swear we almost have it.

My pawn is screaming "Are we even hurting it!?". I'm just like, "I don't know but it's either him or us now."

He goes berserk after a while and ends up flailing over the edge to his death.

The feeling I got was indescribable.

Dresden

My first ogre encounter will always be a memorable experience.

It was that mission you get from Barnaby, I only had one other support pawn at the time, a strider. I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be able to kill that thing be we were fighting it for a good 20 minutes, my support pawns ends up getting tossed down into the abyss, me and my main pawn are low on health but I don't won't to run because I swear we almost have it.

My pawn is screaming "Are we even hurting it!?". I'm just like, "I don't know but it's either him or us now."

He goes berserk after a while and ends up flailing over the edge to his death.

The feeling I got was indescribable.

Man, seems like the ogre falls for everyone. I always had to kill him by hand.

creid

Anyone know of any Casca pawns? Trying to create the band of hawks here.
I actually named my pawn Casca but made almost no attempt to make her look like Casca (aside from black hair.) Also she's currently a sorcerer which doesn't really fit... I'm creid8 on PSN if anyone's interested anyway.

1stStrike

Banned
People complaining about Bandits and Ogres are just too underleveled. It's wise to ignore them until you are in lvl 25 - 30 range.

Yeah, they whooped my ass for a while until I got ensnare and implicate as a strider. Total game changer there - I fucking love that ability. If most everything I'm fighting at end-game wasn't damn annoying shit that flies around or huge ass creatures where it doesn't work again 'em then I would've gone back to strider so I could implicate them all to a glorious death.

I'm using mystic archer now because of the lock-on for those annoying succubus and because ricochet arrow is just bloody amazing. I got a chimera into an enclosed space last night in Everafall and used ricochet arrow on it - took out 2 life bars before that shit stopped bouncing around. I was just like HOLY FUCK and kept spamming that shit :p

This thread is slow compared to multiple Dark Souls OT's that I had to go through when that game launched. Makes sense though since this is a new IP.

I just changed my vocation from Assassin to Mystic Knight and it's been a nice change of pace in terms combat. Just came to check this thread out and reporting to in. Been having no serious problems so far. :)

Map is damn huge though so there's still a lot of exploration left to do. Not really liking some artistic or gameplay choices made in this game but most of the time it manages to be pretty interesting and creates a cool old pen & paper RPG feel to the dungeon adventuring.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh, speaking of pawns, I had one in my party last night named Liara T'soni. Her skin wasn't blue, though, so I was highly disappointed.

This thread is slow compared to multiple Dark Souls OT's that I had to go through when that game launched. Makes sense though since this is a new IP.

I prefer this to having everyone's posts being buried in minutes and having the same questions asked 3,000 times. That shit was pretty insane.

Dark Souls - OT: I survived.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Ensnare works on ogres? Thought that stuff only worked on ennemies the size of a human. But I'll wait lvl 25 to go back to the mine anyway.

1stStrike

Banned
Ensnare works on ogres? Thought that stuff only worked on ennemies the size of a human. But I'll wait lvl 25 to go back to the mine anyway.

No, it only works on humans and some of the slightly larger enemies (dire wolves/hellhounds/larger goblins and so on).

It would be pretty OP if it worked on ogres and shit :p

zsswimmer

I did that first Everfall mission and near the bottom was a Troll I believe. Anyways, it was kicking my ass pretty good and I got it to charge off the side of the stairs where it fell to it's death.

Was that scripted or did that just happen randomly? Would be extremely funny/badass if it was the latter.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah, they whooped my ass for a while until I got ensnare and implicate as a strider. Total game changer there - I fucking love that ability. If most everything I'm fighting at end-game wasn't damn annoying shit that flies around or huge ass creatures where it doesn't work again 'em then I would've gone back to strider so I could implicate them all to a glorious death.

I'm using mystic archer now because of the lock-on for those annoying succubus and because ricochet arrow is just bloody amazing. I got a chimera into an enclosed space last night in Everafall and used ricochet arrow on it - took out 2 life bars before that shit stopped bouncing around. I was just like HOLY FUCK and kept spamming that shit :p
I was just spamming High Comestation and Fulmination end-game as a Sorc. I absolutely loathe those Wights in Everfall; not only do they spam a lot of skeletons but also a spell that slows you down, and when you add a Chimera to the mix, it becomes a nightmare to face them. It was the only time in the game I regretted choosing the Sorc class.

Dresden

I did that first Everfall mission and near the bottom was a Troll I believe. Anyways, it was kicking my ass pretty good and I got it to charge off the side of the stairs where it fell to it's death.

Was that scripted or did that just happen randomly? Would be extremely funny/badass if it was the latter.

Seems like it's extremely common but if it's scripted it's not happened for me.

Carcetti

I tried my first game in DD as a warrior, but now doing a serious attempt from the start and playing the game as a sorcerer all is really different. The most shocking thing was how easy it is to take down griffins. I've not done the griffin hunt to the tower yet, but downed a few random ones. When they land if you align a comestation along their body, they go down in a couple of castings.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

I never fought that Ogre, just ran past it. That place was creepy as hell, so I just finished the quest and got the hell out of there.

edgefusion

I don't think it's scripted but the same thing happened to me. Silly thing.

explodet

Japan sales are surprising, but not TOO surprising, given the Monster Hunter pedigree this game has.

Decide to pick up some XP by hitting the cyclops "ambush" near the rest camp. Recently I had switched my pawn from Fighter to Strider to pick up some augments. Started off pretty normal, but then somehow the helmet fell off its head very early in the fight (normally it stays on the whole fight, which makes lightning stunlocking simple). My pawn then decides to crawl up the cyclops and start repeatedly stabbing it in the face. The punk was down in SECONDS. It was the fastest I ever saw that guy go down. I was impressed.

But then I did a mission where there were tons of bandit rangers peppering my squad with arrows. And man, did I miss having a pawn that drew aggro. Even if it was only a few arrows, those were arrows that weren't entering my squishy sorcerer body. Speaking of which, I just picked up the meteor/ice finger spells, and they're neat, although the lack of precision and the long-ass cast time might mean I have to rely on them less.

I've also been watching a friend play this game as a Fighter, and the amount of cyclops and ogre ass and crotch involved in that playthrough is frankly, too much. Chimeras and drakes are a trip, though.

I love this game.

1stStrike

Banned
I was just spamming High Comestation and Fulmination end-game as a Sorc. I absolutely loathe those Wights in Everfall; not only do they spam a lot of skeletons but also a spell that slows you down, and when you add a Chimera to the mix, it becomes a nightmare to face them. It was the only time in the game I regretted choosing the Sorc class.

Yeah. Did you see the screenshot of what I ran into in Everfall last night? This.

dragons_dogma54aj5a.jpg

Chimera, super Chimera (always forget its actual name), Wight spamming petrification on me and my party, and hellhounds.

Needless to say, I did not win that one.

Looking at its sales in Japan I'm feeling good about its sequel potential.

What would you guys want?

I just want more. More everything. More enemies, more cities, more dungeons.

Just give me more.

I'd like a better UI, more varied environment, non-combat skills and a better dialogue system. The last two are not essential, which is weird to me to say since I usually look for that in role-playing games, but Capcom did exploration and combat really well with this one.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
My Arisen and pawn have achieved total immunity to petrification. That is certainly a load off my mind.

It pretty much guarantees that they'll be the sole survivors of any battle that involves petrifying enemies, but eh. Not my problem.

Schwabe

So, i made my way to Bluemoontower and blasted through everything on the way, piece of cake. But inside, on top
a freakin wyvern with 11 HP bars that gave me only 60k XP :-/
the loot was okay though and some money...

Are you sure you finished it properly? You need to talk to the wife and kids twice before they agree. The wife needs some time to think before she accepts, so you need to kill some time before she agrees and the kid you need to chase around a few times. Then when he agrees, you can convince the father to leave and he will ask you for 30k to help with moving out. After that the original questgiver will give you 40k for completing quest. He will ask for 80k if you still haven't convinced the people to leave.

But yeah the quests in this game need some proper hints or direction. Also when doing a quest, set the quest as a priority first so you can see all the relevant markers for that quest.

Yeah, I got everyone's approval, but apparently the game doesn't mark the husband on the map or indicate in any way that you need to return back to him. Suffice it to say if there's a sequel, I hope they get someone competent to re-work the questing system. I ended up buying the land, but not after I wasted a ton of time running around trying to figure out why he wasn't accepting that I got the approval of everyone to move.

made me laugh :) ...

i mean, no one would really take the time to deliberately raise a troll pawn, would they? getting evil ideas :) ...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Looking at its sales in Japan I'm feeling good about its sequel potential.

What would you guys want?

I just want more. More everything. More enemies, more cities, more dungeons.

Just give me more.

I'm actually fine with the game's interface save a few nips and tucks; it makes more sense to me than a lot of games like this actually.

Aside from (obviously) cleaning up the pawn AI system further and the usual polishing that goes into a sequel:

* More environments such as deserts.

* Keep the limited fast travel system (with ability to expand it using stones) and add mounts.

* Even more exclusive quests that lock other quests out, but reward unique items to carry over into NG+ runs to try other quest choices.

* Bigger post game world with more dungeons and very difficult endgame content to reward building up great gear with several NG+ cycles.

* Monster taming system could be cool, as an option for the party instead of a pawn in the slot.

1stStrike

Banned
I hate hellhounds. Crazy stuff, but it feels good knowing the game still offers a strong challenge for high level players.

Yeah, hellhounds suck and unfortunately they resist my attacks (mystic archer) quite a bit so I don't do a lot of damage to them. Even when I hack away at them with my daggers they don't stagger or anything, so I went ahead and equipped ice spells for my magic slot and just started carrying around a staff for when I run into them.

Yeah, hellhounds suck and unfortunately they resist my attacks (mystic archer) quite a bit so I don't do a lot of damage to them. Even when I hack away at them with my daggers they don't stagger or anything, so I went ahead and equipped ice spells for my magic slot and just started carrying around a staff for when I run into them.

Sixfold Bolt is naturally Ice-based, and as such completely decimates hellhounds, and if it fails to do so it will freeze them. Also very good for Saurians, you don't even really have to worry about their tails with Sixfold Bolt.

maomaoIYP

Damnnnn I keep forgetting about the forgery option.
Beat the quest to recover that ring from Salomet, and I turned it right in like a good boy scout. FML.

I still think Magic Archer sucks. Maxed the vocation, never gonna go back to it.

Dresden

If there's a sequel; I'd want to see weather cycles.

Rain would be cool.

They need to make nighttime more dangerous. Don't just spawn lots of filler undead. I wish the regular game was harder in general.

Need fast travel between big areas. Use a carriage system, sort of like stilt striders in Morrowind.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Very, very impressive start for a new IP. I hope it'll have similar success here in the west. Their goal of 1.5 million copies sounds very doable.

The GB podcast reference that the amount of money spent on making the game, make it likely there will be a sequel.

Delio

I'm actually loving Magick Archer. While I do miss my big boomy Sorc spells I'm having a fun time sniping down things before they even get close to my main pawn to taunt. It's also leveling really fast.

Moofers

So glad this sold well in Japan. Most of the podcasts I listen to besides 4playerpodcast have brushed over it in favor of D3. At least they were gushing over it. I was getting worried about its sequel potential. 60+ hours in and still in love. Easily my game of the year so far. It's creeping up my top 10 of all time too.

Ended up getting the guide for this... I've only done that for two other games: FFXI and Everquest 1.

Listen to mine at Moofpack.com. The new episode going up today has a full hour of Dragon's Dogma discussion. Also on iTunes under "Moofcast".

Delio

lvVxLl.jpg

This Griffin caught me by surprise actually. My pawns saw it before I did and it just came barreling down right on top of me haha.

Top Bottom