• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Carcetti

I'm really disappointed about the mage gear looks in this game. While my heavily armored pawn continues to look awesome all the time, I'm reduced to wearing really sad looking saggy bathrobes and weird pointy hats. There's not even bright colors, it's just dreary earth tones. I really hope the higher tier robes get better looks.

Is there any way to edit your character's appearance later in the game or not?

There's a one-use item for 5000 RC that lets you change everything. With barber you can change all the colors including skin and eyes.

edgefusion

I'm really disappointed about the mage gear looks in this game. While my heavily armored pawn continues to look awesome all the time, I'm reduced to wearing really sad looking saggy bathrobes and weird pointy hats. I really hope the higher tier robes get better looks.

There's a one-use item for 5000 RC that lets you change everything. With barber you can change all the colors including skin and eyes.

I've complained about mage outfits before in relation to other games. Why do mages always get shafted with silly dresses and daft looking outfits while other classes look badass? The only game I can think of that made mages look cool was Dragon Age II (Of all things), the final set of mage armour looked cool as hell. I'd love to see more mage classes that wore actual armour but still retaining a cloth-like 'regal' look to them. Would look much better than the sad-sacks we have now.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anteater said:
Kill the snipers and mages first, then deal with the fighters/warriors, I didn't really run into any super bandits through out, even though some were jerks, just go back to them later if you're having trouble or if they're one shotting you or something

IMHO the crucial thing is positioning; probably years of playing FFXI influencing my thinking but trying to keep my party in an appropriate formation for the battle at hand has seemingly improved my combat efficiency a load.

If you're facing a large number of foes with single-target attacks try and keep your group tight, and pick the spot where you make your initial stand in order to reduce the angles of attack for ranged enemies. Also when the battle is in full-swing and multiple pawns are downed/near death I make an effort to handle my own healing as much as possible, evade attacks and focus on aiding my party.

Arcteryx

Various forums around the net.

Here's a hint:

Moldy carrots sell for more than twice as much as regular carrots cost.

I don't know if I'd call that an exploit, just seems like silliness to me. You can do the same for other stuff like empty vials(filled with healing water) or killing the cows and waiting until their meat turns sour to sell it.

Either way, you make hardly any money for the amount of time spent doing that. You can "farm" the Ur-Dragon in considerably less time for WAY more rewards.

Was the eviction quest broken for anyone else? Guy asks me to convince people to leave his property, so I do it. Then I go back to him after they've agreed to vacate and all he'll offer me is the option to buy his land for 80,000 to give to the people I just convinced to leave. Feels like I wasted my time and money.

Lyonaz

Thats interesting phrasing, so your character is "you", and not just a female butt to stare at over a long game?

Well yeah all characters that I create in games I identify as 'me', be it male, female, undead, monkey or robot.
Sure sometimes I solely do it so I can just watch a pretty female butt during my playthrough, but playing with a female character has always been my preference in these kind of games. I find kicking ass with female characters just more fun.

sonicmj1

Was the eviction quest broken for anyone else? Guy asks me to convince people to leave his property, so I do it. Then I go back to him after they've agreed to vacate and all he'll offer me is the option to buy his land for 80,000 to give to the people I just convinced to leave. Feels like I wasted my time and money.

I'm in a similar situation. The wife finally agreed, and said to talk to her husband. Except he's now nowhere to be found, with no quest marker appearing in Gran Soren for him.

The game's been cool so far. I finished the Everfall quest (can I return there? I'd like to explore some of the crannies in that area), and now I and my pawn are at level 19. I'm a Fighter, and I think I'll get the Strength-boosting augments from Fighter and Warrior before going Assassin.

Right now, I've been hoarding discipline points, because I'm not really sure what skills I'll actually use. I've only bought the basic attack boosts, the cheap augments, and Skyward Stirke/Hindsight Slash. What Fighter skills are important?

Salaadin

Any good weapon guides out there?

Im torn between maces and swords. I found a pretty nice mace in Soulflayer Cavern last night and it packs a punch. Up until now, Ive been using swords but Im curious to know what the pros/cons of each are. All I know is that swords are faster than maces.

I've had that happen to me when they run out of copies. After a week or so, they finally send out an email detailing that they're out of stock and they refund you the amounts soon after.

Is there no store nearby where you can snatch it up?

If its not here by Friday, I'll get it on Saturday morning for the same price Amazon charged. Will Amazon still charge me the return delivery price if it arrives over a week after release?

Last time I preorder a game on Amazon unless there's some incredible pre-order dlc

edgefusion

When do Pawn reviews get updated? My main pawn has helped multiple people but when I go to the players met section in the Rift it updates as not having met anybody and the review section in his profile is still blank. What's up with that?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I don't know if I'd call that an exploit, just seems like silliness to me. You can do the same for other stuff like empty vials(filled with healing water) or killing the cows and waiting until their meat turns sour to sell it.

Either way, you make hardly any money for the amount of time spent doing that. You can "farm" the Ur-Dragon in considerably less time for WAY more rewards.

Nah, see, you can buy Carrots in the first city. Buy as many as you can afford, stay at the Inn for three days for 150 gold. Sell them all for 188G each. A party of 4 with very light encumbrance can pack about 1800 carrots. With a net earning of 90/carrot, that'd be about 162k total net earning in three game days (minus 150 for hotel). And it's much faster than killing cows or selling spring water, since the most you have to travel is from one building to the other. You can make like 1.5 million in 10-20 minutes this way.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member

Speak to the husband after the Wife and Child agree to vacate (he is preaching on the bridge between the market square and noble area) and he will agree for them to leave on the provisio that you provide him some financing to find new accommodation. Alternatively you can pay the 80K gold to the owner.

The husband doesn't arrive at the bridge until about half way through the day so you won't spot him after coming straight out of the inn.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm in a similar situation. The wife finally agreed, and said to talk to her husband. Except he's now nowhere to be found, with no quest marker appearing in Gran Soren for him.
He won't appear right after resting at the inn. He appeared around mid-day for me not far from Gran Soren's fountain. Just go out of the capital for a while with the quest activated, when the red mark appears on the map you're good to go. You'll still need some money but not 80.000.

Also, fuck the ogres in the mine. Got one down to very little life, got careless and the ogre killed me >_<. But I'm level 21 now and upgraded my stuff a bit after venuting north of Soren (Direwolves, Snow Harpies and a Cyclop helped a lot), so I'll give it another try tonight...

1stStrike

Banned
Okay, so pro-tip: Don't use just one pawn to store your items, especially your healing items. I was in a crazy boss fight last night in Everfall and my main pawn gets petrified and is removed from the party - with all of my extra healing items. Never happened to me before, so I was caught off guard and when I looked in my inventory and saw only 3 healing herbs remaining I knew I was fucked. :p

Doesn't help that it was an insane fight where I was repeatedly getting my ass whooped. Never did beat them D:

Lyonaz

Are you sure you finished it properly? You need to talk to the wife and kids twice before they agree. The wife needs some time to think before she accepts, so you need to kill some time before she agrees and the kid you need to chase around a few times. Then when he agrees, you can convince the father to leave and he will ask you for 30k to help with moving out. After that the original questgiver will give you 40k for completing quest. He will ask for 80k if you still haven't convinced the people to leave.

But yeah the quests in this game need some proper hints or direction. Also when doing a quest, set the quest as a priority first so you can see all the relevant markers for that quest.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Question on vocations, if I unlock a new one I can switch at any time? How do skills work, I have to buy new ones or is this a type of respec and I get my points back? I also have to have the correct gear I assume. Is it bad to change vocations or should I do it as soon as I can?

Also I explored a dungeon behind the falls (swallowing man?) and
it had a wall which something was supposed to fit, but I never found anything? I also saw lots of ladders down into the water, can you ever go down? I cleared the place, but never found the missing piece.

Arcteryx

Nah, see, you can buy Carrots in the first city. Buy as many as you can afford, stay at the Inn for three days for 150 gold. Sell them all for 188G each. A party of 4 with very light encumbrance can pack about 1800 carrots. With a net earning of 90/carrot, that'd be about 162k total net earning in three game days (minus 150 for hotel). And it's much faster than killing cows or selling spring water, since the most you have to travel is from one building to the other. You can make like 1.5 million in 10-20 minutes this way.

So there's unlimited carrots? I thought all vendors had limits on items?

1stStrike

Banned
My mind is blown.

I've only ever gone from Mage to Sorcerer... Now I will have to try out the other Vocations.

Stacking the augments from other classes can make you a bad ass. My pawn has 1262 strength and is doing some wicked damage with a 1 handed sword as a fighter.

Question about Grimoire quest

Any consequence to giving the guy a forgery? My pawn actually hinted at doing it, presumably because she was with someone else who did that.

Pranay

Dragon Dogma has the best opening sales new ip since kingdom hearts :p in japan

it did 330k on PS3 + xbox [300k on ps3]

kingom hearts was 440k i think and then gen white knight chronicles was the highest selling rpg ie 200k i guess

1stStrike

Banned
Dragon Dogma has the best opening sales new ip since when i dunno :p in japan

it did 330k on PS3 + xbox [300k on ps3]

kingom hearts was 280k i think so yeah i think and then gen white knight chronicles was the highest selling rpg ie 230k i guess

So it sold 300k on the PS3 and only 30k on the xbox? Where are these sales figures at? I find it hard to believe that the PS3 dominated that hard on this since it's usually a pretty close split.

So I'm almost finished with leveling Ranger, but I think I may just go to other jobs with useful augments then return to it, as its probably my favorite vocation so far (may give Magic Archer a go). Damage is good and you can pick off most goblins groups from afar with Dire Arrow.

I'm wondering if there is any ability I can get for my Ranger, or an item I can use, that will add fire to my arrows without the need for a mage. Damage is so much better, one 7-fold arrow takes out most smaller enemies, but sometimes my mage takes too long to help. Any options?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Question on vocations, if I unlock a new one I can switch at any time? How do skills work, I have to buy new ones or is this a type of respec and I get my points back? I also have to have the correct gear I assume. Is it bad to change vocations or should I do it as soon as I can?

it had a wall which something was supposed to fit, but I never found anything? I also saw lots of ladders down into the water, can you ever go down? I cleared the place, but never found the missing piece.

You can switch anytime in Gran Soren, yeah. There's nothing you actually need to do to unlock classes beyond reaching level 10, once you can start changing vocations you can change to any of them any time simply by paying the Discipline cost. The initial Discipline cost only has to be paid once, however, and changing back into a class you have already been before is free.

You aren't refunded for any skills you purchase, but Augments carry over between classes, Core Skills carry over between classes provided the classes in question have overlap in their weapon types, and some active skills carry over. Toss and Trigger, for example, is usable by every vocation that uses daggers. You also retain all skills you've unlocked in a class should you change back to that class in the future.

There's no real downside to changing vocations whenever you want, though some of the Augments available at the highest levels are extremely useful. The approach I personally adopted was to get a vocation to the maximum rank and buy all the Core Skills and Augments that caught my eye while being comparatively frugal with spending points on active abilities outside the ones that looked really good. I think it worked out pretty well for me, on the whole, but I make no claims as to it being optimally efficient.

As for your dungeon question,
a plot-related quest will be sending you back there in the future. You'll be able to drain the water then.

So there's unlimited carrots? I thought all vendors had limits on items?

Only some items have limited stock. Weapons and armor, Ferrystones, the really good healing items, and the suchlike are limited. Basic food and healing items and sundries like empty bottles have unlimited stock and you're limited only by your carrying weight and gold supply.

I'm about to turn this quest in myself and at that decision point.

So give him the real grimoire afterall? Now I'm very curious what happens if you give up the fake

If you really want to know the consequences...
that guy will help you with a boss battle later. He'll bring the grimoire with him to help out. If it's a forgery and the spell fizzles... awwwwwkwaaaaaaard.

The grimoire itself is pretty useless as an item. Save your game and use it once for the novelty, then load it back up and give it to the guy. There's precious little reason to keep it for yourself.

Klyka

Banned
So it sold 300k on the PS3 and only 30k on the xbox? Where are these sales figures at? I find it hard to believe that the PS3 dominated that hard on this since it's usually a pretty close split.

Those are Japanese numbers. That the 360 even managed 1/10th of the PS3's sales is basically a MIRACLE.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm about to turn this quest in myself and at that decision point.

So give him the real grimoire afterall? Now I'm very curious what happens if you give up the fake

Yes, give him the real one. You won't regret it. You'll be missing out on something pretty cool if you give him a fake.

Salaadin

Theres a quest later on where you get the item to open the door. You can actually get back there earlier by
sticking to the right side of the wall. Eventually, youll see some windows or doors with no paths leading to them but well placed, well timed sprinting jumps can get you over there.

One of those doors overlooks a big pool of water and on the other side of the water is a set of steps going upwards. If you time it right, you can vault over the water and land on the steps. Once on the other side, work your way through and Im pretty sure youll find the button to drain the water from the rest of the place.

Come prepared, though. Since you dont have the key to the door, the only way out after vaulting to the steps is to go through the entire area and come out all the way on the other end.

My mind is blown.

I've only ever gone from Mage to Sorcerer... Now I will have to try out the other Vocations.

it's something that should've been made more clear, &, yeah, it really changes how you should be thinking about developing your characters. just switched my completed mage for a couple days to a warrior before going to sorcerer, & it was worth it...

1stStrike

Banned
Those are Japanese numbers. That the 360 even managed 1/10th of the PS3's sales is basically a MIRACLE.

Ah, right. Well, it'll be interesting to see how it sells around the rest of the globe then. I really hope this is a 1 million+ seller so we can get a 2nd one down the road.

For now, though, we need some real DLC. Like a world expansion with new mobs. There's certainly room for it on the map.

Anteater

So I spent hours traveling to and clearing Bluemoon Tower for the quest and came out again with no loot I can use. I'm getting so tired of using the same shit for 25 levels. Where is a freaking good longbow at?

I love the design and exploration you can do in the dungeons and world, but there is never anything good in the hidden chests, it sucks.

There are plenty of hidden chests, it's actually a thing they did well but I'm on the same boat where most of them are useless junk, and the more obvious pretty chests carries loot (mostly behind a boss or whatever), but there are a lot of classes and the loot in there probably are of no use most of the time.

So yeah, I've been wearing the same gears for the past 15 levels, they're still good but I'd like to look fancier or at least get something for my pawn for a change, especially when each mission could take up a lot of time

fallingdove

I'm really disappointed about the mage gear looks in this game. While my heavily armored pawn continues to look awesome all the time, I'm reduced to wearing really sad looking saggy bathrobes and weird pointy hats. There's not even bright colors, it's just dreary earth tones. I really hope the higher tier robes get better looks.

There is also an item in new game+ for 20000 RC(I believe) that allows for unlimited edits.

Anyone know if the Warrior augment Proficiency applies to Bows? Seems like it should. I think I'm going to level Warrior next, some of these augments would apply very nicely to ranger (Impact, Clout, Proficiency).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
If you can afford it, you should definitely switch to both Warrior and Sorcerer, just to get the augments that greatly reduce physical/magical damage. They're available right from Rank 1, so just switch to them, grab the augments, and switch back. They're really helpful.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm getting shitty loot from the everfall chests :|

It's really random. I was bitching last night cause I was just getting healing items and stuff from the chests and was like "GIVE ME SOME DAMN ARMOR"

And then I got this amazing chest piece for my main character with these long sleeves that whirl around whenever she attacks, and this really sweet looking set of leggings where the knees have these birds on them.

I also spent 1.6 million gold on a merchant down there for a set of daggers that are especially effective against dragons (brings my attack up to over 1,300 on my main) and this cool ass crown for her to wear.

Then I got a helm for my main pawn and he looks kind of like magneto now.

So I was happy.

There are plenty of hidden chests, it's actually a thing they did well but I'm on the same boat where most of them are useless junk, and the more obvious pretty chests carries loot (mostly behind a boss or whatever), but there are a lot of classes and the loot in there probably are of no use most of the time.

So yeah, I've been wearing the same gears for the past 15 levels, they're still good but I'd like to look fancier or at least get something for my pawn for a change, especially when each mission could take up a lot of time

Tip: Whenever you run a dungeon or go through an area, go back through it in reverse. I guarantee you'll find things you missed. They like to hide things outside of your camera view, behind rocks, and so on.

joelseph

It's really random. I was bitching last night cause I was just getting healing items and stuff from the chests and was like "GIVE ME SOME DAMN ARMOR"

And then I got this amazing chest piece for my main character with these long sleeves that whirl around whenever she attacks, and this really sweet looking set of leggings where the knees have these birds on them.

I also spent 1.6 million gold on a merchant down there for a set of daggers that are especially effective against dragons (brings my attack up to over 1,300 on my main) and this cool ass crown for her to wear.

Then I got a helm for my main pawn and he looks kind of like magneto now.

So I was happy.

I love this post. Just might make me buy this game!

Schwabe

wow, i always get the same dragon armour^^ almost everything is dragonforged O,o

but finally i slayed the wyvern. funny fight it was.

Dragon's Dogma postgame |OT| ever(yday i'm )fall(ing)

someone got tips for archhydra? it seems i still get shit on, even with lvl 65 now...

and i somehow miss crafting like in monster hunter and all that weapon stuff. dragons dogma is monster hunter, only different ^_^

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Anyone know if the Warrior augment Proficiency applies to Bows? Seems like it should. I think I'm going to level Warrior next, some of these augments would apply very nicely to ranger (Impact, Clout, Proficiency).

I'm not sure if Impact applies to bows, but I know that Vehemence and Clout improve damage from both daggers and bows. My pawn started off as a Fighter, moved on to Warrior, then went Strider and finally Ranger. She still mostly uses the Fighter and Warrior augments and is a complete beast in combat.

I'm not sure if Impact applies to bows, but I know that Vehemence and Clout improve damage from both daggers and bows. My pawn started off as a Fighter, moved on to Warrior, then went Strider and finally Ranger. She still mostly uses the Fighter and Warrior augments and is a complete beast in combat.
Shame both of the strength augments are some of the last available for the class, but Ranger took no time at all to level so hopefully they go just as fast.

theDeeDubs

So glad this sold well in Japan. Most of the podcasts I listen to besides 4playerpodcast have brushed over it in favor of D3. At least they were gushing over it. I was getting worried about its sequel potential. 60+ hours in and still in love. Easily my game of the year so far. It's creeping up my top 10 of all time too.

Ended up getting the guide for this... I've only done that for two other games: FFXI and Everquest 1.

Looking at its sales in Japan I'm feeling good about its sequel potential.

What would you guys want?

I just want more. More everything. More enemies, more cities, more dungeons.

Just give me more.

theDeeDubs

Looking at its sales in Japan I'm feeling good about its sequel potential.

What would you guys want?

I just want more. More everything. More enemies, more cities, more dungeons.

Just give me more.

I realize it would mean abandoning the pawn system, but I would love to be able to customize and deck out three pawns on my own. I get almost as much fun leveling my pawns vocations and equipment as I do my main. The option to do that with two more pawns would be awesome for me. Maybe save it for new game+ though. Also a FF12/Dragon Age gambit system.

Top Bottom