• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So do hired pawns upgrade to their current status only when I re-enter the rift?

For example, if my friend levels up and adds some new skills, what do I have to do for my hired version to reflect those changes?

Astra

We should have a list of all the Gaffers pawns, wouldn't mind renting out some lower level pawns to help out and give items away, I believe if you equip a pawn with some armor or clothing it travels back with them. I've went through so many dungeons and caves I got tons of extra armour and items I dont know what to do with.

What dungeon are you in? the cockatrice seams to only spawn in Soulflayer canyon to my knowledge.

There's a thread right here. I try to keep my info up to date, but usually edit it every couple of days when I have something significant to add.

Jac_Solar

We should have a list of all the Gaffers pawns, wouldn't mind renting out some lower level pawns to help out and give items away, I believe if you equip a pawn with some armor or clothing it travels back with them. I've went through so many dungeons and caves I got tons of extra armour and items I dont know what to do with.

What dungeon are you in? the cockatrice seams to only spawn in Soulflayer canyon to my knowledge.

I was talking about the Everfall dungeon -- someone mentioned that there's 2 cockatrice in there.

Jac_Solar

man i've been all up over this area, like, 30 times in every pool, barrel, and enemy in the vicinity. This shit is annoying :<

I think I found it pretty much close to where a guide mentioned it being. Well, one of my pawns actually found it, and I'm not sure how exactly, cause it seemed to just appear -- or the pawn was somewhere else. :p

Anyways, it's at Deos Hills, or right next to it -- there's a little trail that crosses the river, with several of those Saurian mobs. Then, if you continue along the river a tiny bit, you'll come to an area with loads of them. (There's also a waterfall if you continue just a bit further.)

Get a full party of pawns who loot, and run across the area, including the river itself. Also, a guide mentioned that enemies may even drop it. And getting a pawn with knowledge of the quest should help a lot.

1stStrike

Banned
39th Ur-Dragon for all tonight it seems.

This was my first kill, though.

I went and fought him 5 times and was putting on the whoop ass with some assassin skills (gouge anyone?).

My pawns were pretty much useless in that battle so I just left them dead whenever they died and continued to stab the fuck out of the Ur-Dragon. Such a waste of time to keep reviving them lol.

It was a rush though on that 5th time - he had literally a sliver of life left and I was like OH FUCK so I'm jumping on top of him and gouging, spamming mushrooms to keep my stamina up, and then he drops and gives me some amazing loot. Like, holy shit.

Plus, all of my equipment gets dragonforged.

Such a rush.

Pic of my win and loot list below.

Loot:

Lustrous Greatshield
Totem Mace
Volant White
Dwells-in-light
Beowulf Mask
Abyssinal Coat
Abyssinal Bracers
Abyssinal Greaves

dragons_dogma6xbzb8.jpg

Most of the loot I got is geared towards a Mystic Knight, and I only have that at rank 6, so I went ahead and changed back and equipped most of that onto my main. My pawn got the sword as he's a warrior (and the sword is awesome looking too).

The fight, in total, took over an hour to complete and I came in when he was at half health. So yeah, pretty epic.

The only thing that annoyed the shit out of me was that he would fly away during the battle and then I'd have to go back to the inn, rest and then jump back down and start the fight again. It seems like once he loses a certain amount of HP, or if a certain amount of time passes, he takes off and you have to come back again for the next attempt. I would've rather just fought him all at once instead of having to come and go, come and go, come and go... well, you get it.

Amir0x

Banned
I think I found it pretty much close to where a guide mentioned it being. Well, one of my pawns actually found it, and I'm not sure how exactly, cause it seemed to just appear -- or the pawn was somewhere else. :p

Anyways, it's at Deos Hills, or right next to it -- there's a little trail that crosses the river, with several of those Saurian mobs. Then, if you continue along the river a tiny bit, you'll come to an area with loads of them. (There's also a waterfall if you continue just a bit further.)

Get a full party of pawns who loot, and run across the area, including the river itself. Also, a guide mentioned that enemies may even drop it. And getting a pawn with knowledge of the quest should help a lot.

man I'm giving up on this hunt, I've been everywhere everyone says over and over. I've destroyed more crates and boxes and dug through more fishing holes in one lifetime than I ever need to again >_<

Lucent

All you fuckers in post-game are pissing me off. I want to join you but I don't want to rush, either.

This. lol. I've been doing every side mission I find. Been avoiding the story missions as much as possible.

Also, I got rank 9 Strider/rank 10 Ranger/rank 3 Assassin so far. I'm only level 35. Wondering if it really matters if I stick with bow-wielding vocations if I'll suck as a mage or fighter route later. I kinda wanna try everything. But I don't wanna be meh at everything and good at nothing. Guess I should stick with what I'm doing? My pawn is doing all the magic. lol

Really want to find some cool armor for my guy though. Seems like all the bow-wielding classes use the same armor. All looks the same. =l

burgerdog

360 22nd Generation Ur-Dragon has been sitting at the same hp for almost 2 hours now, come on bros, go kill that shit so I can sneak a killing blow in.

Amir0x

Banned
by the way, I'm not usually a OMGSPOILERS guy, but the thrill of games like this is the exploration and finding enemies, and I wish people didn't post giant pictures of Ur-Dragons and other awesome bosses/cool enemies which I had yet to discover in full view... at least link pics like that :<

ezekial45

Banned
Are materials placed in your storage still count towards the upgrades? Or do I have to retrieve them from the storage to upgrade an item.

Astra

by the way, I'm not usually a OMGSPOILERS guy, but the thrill of games like this is the exploration and finding enemies, and I wish people didn't post giant pictures of Ur-Dragons and other awesome bosses/cool enemies which I had yet to discover in full view... at least link pics like that :<

I agree with you. I am appreciative of those who spoiler-tagged their loot, though. Definitely don't want to know what loot is to be gained.

Ha! I went back and beat that ogre's face in. Of course there are two more left in the quarry, but I think I'll have an easier time now. The sense of accomplishment this game offers is amazing and pretty unique. It really does feel akin to pen and paper D&D.

I'm starting to run into a money problem. I want to upgrade my gear but money is starting to become hard to come by. Still rocking those Salvation robes.

owlbeak

I leveled up my Assassin vocation to rank 8 and then switched to Ranger. I am loving the Ranger a lot more, dat longbow! :) I started the game as a Strider. Plan on the next run being a warrior or something melee.

Just finished the Griffin's Bane quest. About 60 hours into the game. Not sure how much more main story there is, but I have a ton of sidequests to finish.

1stStrike

Banned

Trust me, the shitty low resolution pics don't do the Ur-Dragon any kind of justice. Once you get there you'll see what I mean.

It's a crazy boss fight. All I gotta say is... I hope you don't get motion sickness from video games.

Amir0x

Banned
Trust me, the shitty low resolution pics don't do the Ur-Dragon any kind of justice. Once you get there you'll see what I mean.

It's a crazy boss fight. All I gotta say is... I hope you don't get motion sickness from video games.

You can say it doesn't do it justice, and I'm sure it doesn't, but it's still a pretty massive spoiler. In a game like this, showing the biggest and baddest bosses outright to everyone is as big as a spoiler can be. It's not that I don't want you guys to share it in the topic, I just wish you'd LINK it instead of just showing it outright. Makes it impossible to avoid.

I have no control over this but I'm just voicing my concern, it's getting to the point where I am starting to be basically unable to browse the topic now.

1stStrike

Banned
You can say it doesn't do it justice, and I'm sure it doesn't, but it's still a pretty massive spoiler. In a game like this, showing the biggest and baddest bosses outright to everyone is as big as a spoiler can be. It's not that I don't want you guys to share it in the topic, I just wish you'd LINK it instead of just showing it outright. Makes it impossible to avoid.

I have no control over this but I'm just voicing my concern, it's getting to the point where I am starting to be basically unable to browse the topic now.

This is something that happens in just about every OT here, though. It's not new to GAF OT's at all, so if you're worried about spoilers then it's probably best for you to avoid it for a while or for someone to make a separate spoilers topic for posts to go in. Either/or would help, though I'm sure people would still post spoilers in here anyway being oblivious to the other topic.

Alucrid

Banned
Anyone else forgoing stats in terms of looks? It's not like the game is hard, and the only thing that really matters are the weapons stats in the big picture, so I've just been making my character and pawns look fabulous, but not gstring and pasties territory.

Amir0x

Banned
This is something that happens in just about every OT here, though. It's not new to GAF OT's at all, so if you're worried about spoilers then it's probably best for you to avoid it for a while or for someone to make a separate spoilers topic for posts to go in. Either/or would help, though I'm sure people would still post spoilers in here anyway being oblivious to the other topic.

no, it doesn't. I participate in official topics all the time for various games (and tv shows, and movies, etc). Most people are smart enough to spoiler tag things, instead of just showing them in giant flashing neon pictures that instantly and immediately draw your eye to them.

I mean that's fine, listen, if you want to keep spoilering things, I have no control over it - but let's not try to act like that's every GAF topic, because this is one of the only topics I've seen as out of control with picture spoiling. I mean there have been times in the past, but it's the exception, not the rule.

Astra

Anyone else forgoing stats in terms of looks? It's not like the game is hard, and the only thing that really matters are the weapons stats in the big picture, so I've just been making my character and pawns look fabulous, but not gstring and pasties territory.

In a way. I'll sacrifice a bit in defense for something that looks good, but I won't go with the weakest even if it looks better.

I'm about to say fuck it and take off these Salvation robes that I've been rocking for the past 6 or so hours. I can't even see my characters face.

Zeal

Banned
I just got this game and I'm having a blast. I can't believe how fun and fast the combat is. I had a quick question though. If my wife grabs a copy, is there some form of co-op play where we can meet up and play online? Or is it just pawn sharing. Thanks.

Highly recommend this awesome game.

Alucrid

Banned
I just got this game and I'm having a blast. I can't believe how fun and fast the combat is. I had a quick question though. If my wife grabs a copy, is there some form of co-op play where we can meet up and play online? Or is it just pawn sharing. Thanks.

Highly recommend this awesome game.

Nope, just pawn sharing.

no, it doesn't. I participate in official topics all the time for various games (and tv shows, and movies, etc). Most people are smart enough to spoiler tag things, instead of just showing them in giant flashing neon pictures that instantly and immediately draw your eye to them.

I mean that's fine, listen, if you want to keep spoilering things, I have no control over it - but let's not try to act like that's every GAF topic, because this is one of the only topics I've seen as out of control with picture spoiling. I mean there have been times in the past, but it's the exception, not the rule.

It's probably facilitated by the fact that taking and uploading screenshots is made so easy, as well as the fact that this isn't really a 'huge' game. Not that those reasons should allow for spoilers (I did it myself) but I think it makes one a lot less likely to think about it when posting loot, pics, etc.

I'd do this, but I'm afraid people won't like my pawn if I don't make him sturdy enough. :(

Elginer

Just started playing this and holy shit, you guys werent kidding. Some amazing fucking moments in combat and totally random moments of pure adventure. Also hired a badass pawn who literally is a life saver, she even has badass casca armor. I'm only about 2 hours in, I cant wait to see what happens next.

I'm ready to change my vocation as I just maxed rank my strider. I wanted to consider Stat growth too. I'm currently lvl 24, started as strider. I was thinking of going warrior for health but idk.. What would you all recommend?

Alucrid

Banned
I'm ready to change my vocation as I just maxed rank my strider. I wanted to consider Stat growth too. I'm currently lvl 24, started as strider. I was thinking of going warrior for health but idk.. What would you all recommend?

It's honestly not that big of a deal whatever path you choose since you're always free to go back or choose another whenever.

It's honestly not that big of a deal whatever path you choose since you're always free to go back or choose another whenever.
He's talking about stat growth, though, which is permanent.

Someone posted an excellent spreadsheet earlier with stat growths for the different classes, but I forgot to favorite it. You might want to look around for it.

ZiZ

I'm guessing this must've been asked before but pretty early on in the game there's a quest where I'm supposed to meet
the duke
they say that I'll need to hand in my wyrm hunt license and I'll have to abandon my quests. So, will I gain something by copying my license? and will I lose ALL my quests?

Alucrid

Banned
I'm guessing this must've been asked before but pretty early on in the game there's a quest where I'm supposed to meet
the duke
they say that I'll need to hand in my wyrm hunt license and I'll have to abandon my quests. So, will I gain something by copying my license? and will I lose ALL my quests?

You just lose the quests that require the Wyrm Hunt license. No idea if making a forgery works. Might as well finish them before doing so just to be on the safe side.

the duke
No idea if the license serves any purpose. The quests it's referring to are just the ones you get from that one dude.

joe2187

Banned
I pick up every skull I see and throw it at every enemy I fight...I love it, I dont even know if it does anything, but I love doing it, this is how I start all of my big enemy fights.

Top Bottom