• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Is an Assassin as fun to play as a Mystic Knight?

I started as a Fighter and I'm loving it so far, but I'm torn on which to develop towards.

Just try out the classes that interest you - that's what I did. I went from a Strider > Magick Archer > Assassin > Fighter

Assassin is bad ass and has AWESOME augments for night time (70% buff to strength at night, and reduced damage).

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Awesome tips. So I guess based on what you said, being a fighter class to build up fighter level stats before Assassin isn't necessary.

Hasn't been for me. I changed early enough and was stubborn enough about my sword/bow combo that there were some tough levels. Chimera especially was a bit rough until I opened up the 2nd level sword skills a bit. Having the endurance enhancing elements of strider to back up your sword skill use is excellent as I will often combo through the majority of my bar to kill large groups of people and getting onto large creatures and then having the energy left to stab them for an entire life bar or more.

If you must swap out assassin specific skills start with the night time ones as they are obviously only effective half the time. BUT - .. do not underestimate all 4 of the assassin buffing skills in unison. Dropping off your pawn and going out alone at night makes you a true monster. A preemptive strike with a blast arrow in the dark has knocked whole life bars off un armored cyclops. As long as you don't get surrounded and combo locked to death .. it's a beautifully gory thing to behold. Killing huge monsters on your own is an amazing feeling.

joe2187

Banned
So before I hit the everfell in post game Im traveling to all the dungeons I've visited in the past, Just came from the watergods alter and had a blast with the surprise that was waiting for me at the end...anyonelse doing some dungeon scurrying postgame?

So before I hit the everfell in post game Im traveling to all the dungeons I've visited in the past, Just came from the watergods alter and had a blast with the surprise that was waiting for me at the end...anyonelse doing some dungeon scurrying postgame?

No, I headed straight towards the end in the postgame. What was in the Watergod's Altar?

joe2187

Banned
No, I headed straight towards the end in the postgame. What was in the Watergod's Altar?

An wyrm or Wyvren I'm not sure what the distinction is, but he was pretty talkative and fighting him was pretty badass, he was an Ice elemental and froze my entire party solid multiple times, he even froze one of my pawns and broke her into tiny pieces...It was awesome, the dragons in this game have a ton of character and personality, it's a shame I have to kill them all

An wyrm or Wyvren I'm not sure what the distinction is, but he was pretty talkative and fighting him was pretty badass, he was an Ice elemental and froze my entire party solid multiple times, he even froze one of my pawns and broke her into tiny pieces...It was awesome, the dragons in this game have a ton of character and personality, it's a shame I have to kill them all

Oh, I guess I missed out because of my rush. If I get to postgame+ I'll try doing that.

Hell yeah, I'm heading over there now!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Speaking of exploits, I think I found a horribly suboptimal, completely pointless way to auto-level yourself in postgame. It'd take hours to match just going outside and killing things for a minute or so, but it's pretty funny to watch.
In Gran Soren, the noble area remains filled with infinitely spawning guard enemies that are great ways to test out your builds. They give crap exp and have shitty drops, but if you jump onto a fence or something, they won't follow you. Your pawns don't seem to get damaged by them, either. So you can just stand there looking down on your pawns endlessly beating the shit out of them.

edit: Nevermind, the pawns do get damaged.

I was a little curious about this and messed around with it for a bit. As an automated means of gaining experience and gold it's pretty much useless, as the rate at which you gain both is paltry. It does, however, have an applicable use: automated Vocation Rank grinding. My pawn was a mage at the penultimate rank, I set this situation up and she was maxed out about half an hour later.

I'm going to switch her over to a Sorcerer and set this up and see how long it takes for her to max that class out. It seems to work best to simply go pure offense to maximize your killing speed. Rangers and Striders seem to spend an awful lot of time waffling about whether they should be attacking with their bow or their daggers, and you definitely don't want any of the aggro-pulling abilities of the melee classes. Mages with primarily offensive spells, Sorcerers, and Warriors without War Cry seem like the best options.

Jac_Solar

I believe there are more quests / different ones, but that seems to be about it. There are also some minor story changes, mainly the end of the game.

Ah, ok, thanks, even though that was a bit spoilerific. :p

But now that they have the engine and its pipeline all set up, I hope they produce some really fantastic DLC/expansion content. I'd really like a massive open world, with more climbing mechanics like throwing a rope with a large fishhook into a tree, climb into it, or up some smaller mountains. But the open world expansion is most important -- would be really fun to have a massive and different looking location to explore. Like a desert, or jungle.

But, uhm, based on the DLC 1 quest pack (Or maybe 2. Not sure. One of them.), I don't think they are planning on spending a lot of time on DLC.

The quests have the same name, and with 1-10 to seperate them. The objective is to go to certain locations in the world, pick up a coin. That's it.

It was supposedly on the disc, and it costs money. It's worse than Horse Armor by Bethesda. The horse armor was one of the first DLC's and because it was one of the first DLC's, there wasn't any standard pricing or anything I think, but they quickly adjusted and even came out with some of the best DLC on the Marketplace. The Dragon's Dogma DLC came out recently.

Is the second batch of quests the same style as the first?

Also, I'm about to fight the g
ryphon and can't find the bait...?
Any help would be appreciated :)

Pumpkins

So that weapon pack DLC, is it any good? I feel terrible for wanting to buy it.

I got it. Apparently the way it works is that they do more damage to certain types of enemies. Like one is called Griffinsbane and it does more damage to Griffins and flying creatures. Seemed to work pretty well.

They look really cool too.

Is the second batch of quests the same style as the first?

Also, I'm about to fight the g
ryphon and can't find the bait...?
Any help would be appreciated :)

Run a ways past the bait drop area, there are a few goblins chilling on the rocks. Pick up a dead one and carry it back to the bait area.

god DAMN the map in this game sucks. I literally say it at least once out loud every time i play it.

Yeah, for an "open-world" game it isn't that great and traversing some of the areas is a damn bore. Next game (if there is one) needs more variety and much more interesting encounters.

I got it. Apparently the way it works is that they do more damage to certain types of enemies. Like one is called Griffinsbane and it does more damage to Griffins and flying creatures. Seemed to work pretty well.

They look really cool too.

Run a ways past the bait drop area, there are a few goblins chilling on the rocks. Pick up a dead one and carry it back to the bait area.

Thank you sir.

Did I miss something in the character creator that lets you create really colorful, bright hair? I was walking around near one of the rest camps and there was a pawn for hire that had bright blue hair.

Anteater

Did I miss something in the character creator that lets you create really colorful, bright hair? I was walking around near one of the rest camps and there was a pawn for hire that had bright blue hair.

Yea you could buy hair/skin dyes at the Rift store that you could use at the barber

Kyon

Banned

I believe the Rift Store sells dye, for a price of Rift Crystals that is. And also DLC hair

Hey EARV what was all the equipment you used here? (*ENDING SPOILERS WARNING*)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCWUkSvsKbo&list=HL1338446309&feature=mh_lolz

Atruvius

I tried to change to Mystick Knight but couldn't adjust to him. MK's attacks are too slow compared to daggers so I changed to ranger. Ranger is awesome! Does much more damage with bows than magic archer and that auto-aim wasn't all that useful.

I slayed the foul Dragon yesterday. At the battle I thought I was too low leveled (43 lvl), but I couldn't back down. The two secondary pawns were super helpful so I gave them both ferrystones and to the female lingerie.

The end game is jaw droppingly awesome, and hard if you're not careful. This is my GoTy thus far.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yeah, for an "open-world" game it isn't that great and traversing some of the areas is a damn bore. Next game (if there is one) needs more variety and much more interesting encounters.

It might as well not be in the game. It's been more a detriment than a help so far.

Hey Kyon, the equipment I had in my final boss video was stuff I bought from Caxton before heading out - he gets new stuff. There's also a merchant before you go into Greatwall where you can buy the Harpy Cape.

ixix

I think Warrior is my favorite vocation for stress-relief.

Awesome! I might use it for that overnight. :p

I'm still fiddling with it a bit. There's three things you'll want to keep in mind if you're going to be leaving it unmonitored for a prolonged period:

1. Make sure none of your pawns have skills that knock enemies in the air. Every once in a while they'll knock one up on your perch, which is pretty much completely disastrous if you're not monitoring the situation. You'll be knocked down to the ground and hacked to pieces if you're not there to save yourself.

2. Warriors and Fighters tend to slowly get themselves killed by grabbing enemies. When none of your other pawns launch a follow-up attack to finish off the disabled enemy the grabby gus eats an elbow in the face. It doesn't do much damage, but it slowly adds up. I'm starting to think Striders and Rangers are actually preferable in spite of their tendency to walk back in forth in place switching between their daggers and bow.

3. The best place to stand that I've found is
the southwestern corner of the wall surrounding the church.
The enemies get nicely bunched up in the corner and make easy pickings for your pawns.

In about an hour of just letting it run my pawn has gone from a rank 1 Sorcerer to a rank 5 Sorcerer and my Arisen has gone from a rank 7 Assassin to a rank 8 Assassin. Not super fast, but pretty decent as far as automated leveling goes.

Kyon

Banned
Hey Kyon, the equipment I had in my final boss video was stuff I bought from Caxton before heading out - he gets new stuff. There's also a merchant before you go into Greatwall where you can buy the Harpy Cape.

oh ok thanks :) This quest has been sitting there and I didn't think I was ready. I'm the same level as you in the video so now I know I can do it haha.

Lucent

Hasn't been for me. I changed early enough and was stubborn enough about my sword/bow combo that there were some tough levels. Chimera especially was a bit rough until I opened up the 2nd level sword skills a bit. Having the endurance enhancing elements of strider to back up your sword skill use is excellent as I will often combo through the majority of my bar to kill large groups of people and getting onto large creatures and then having the energy left to stab them for an entire life bar or more.

If you must swap out assassin specific skills start with the night time ones as they are obviously only effective half the time. BUT - .. do not underestimate all 4 of the assassin buffing skills in unison. Dropping off your pawn and going out alone at night makes you a true monster. A preemptive strike with a blast arrow in the dark has knocked whole life bars off un armored cyclops. As long as you don't get surrounded and combo locked to death .. it's a beautifully gory thing to behold. Killing huge monsters on your own is an amazing feeling.

Awesome. Yeah I always thought the Stamina gains were awesome and that would help a lot for anything. It really sucks running out of stamina. So far my sword damage isn't bad and the 2nd versions of the attacks are awesome.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
KKtId.jpg

Leaving this place after a crazy night, right at daybreak. So good.

Also PLEASE tell me forging a portcrystal makes another functional one. I just spent 300K on it.

I love my archer classes. =)

Yup, I just picked up some augments from the Fighter class (weight increase + stamina reduced while grappling on monsters), and now my Assassin is pretty much insane.

70% strength increase at night + damage you take is reduced augment

Can carry lots more blast arrows - with my Dragon's Rancor bow Dragon Forged, using Fivefold Flurry at night makes any of the big monsters flinch each time

Grappling onto monsters with stamina usage halved makes things even better with Dire Gouge (it's pretty much game over for the monster if I'm in a grappling mood)

Powder Charge is just a great skill to have at Everfall as well since it's a close-quarters dungeon and just blow all those dumb goblins, hellhounds and skeletons into oblivion

no it doesn't :( sorry

Aww!

deim0s

Based on what I've read a few posts back, why is there a NG+ then, if post-game is much better? I hoped they're going to give us a spike in difficulty.

Bought the Monster Hunter DLC, at a first glance they're weak... But upgraded, they have a big jump in stats.

It's not too bad. There's only a
Metal Golem
there.

Last time I was there for Selene, I saw three un-activated golems there.

ixix

Based on what I've read a few posts back, why is there a NG+ then, if post-game is much better? I hoped they're going to give us a spike in difficulty.

NG+ is mainly for easily going back to complete any quests you missed or skipped, see different endings in quests you did, and generally mess around, I think. You also retain access to the game's ultimate boss upon starting NG+, so you don't lose out on one of the biggest aspects of the post-game.

"Post-game" is also a bit of a misnomer, I feel. There's a point at which the game has a rather dramatic tonal shift as well as a smaller but still notable gameplay shift, but it's very much a part of the main narrative arc of the game. It's not like, say, the Seraphic Gate in Valkyrie Profile where it exists outside the normal flow of the game, which to my mind is more what's implied by the term. What we've been referring to as the post-game could just as accurately be called the final dungeon, really.

Just started, level 7, loving the game so far. Quick question, are there any indicators in your quest log as to which quests are main quests and which are side-quests?

I appreciate games that let you wander into areas where you're most likely not supposed to. I attempted the quest in the bottom of the well...yea need to double my level before I try that again.

UrbanRats

Here's my character and pawn (why is it so fucking difficult to take a close screenshot of the pawn?):

Together (most recent)--
irTD4qWWkI5ta.jpg

Character --
iwtDgBQzN37Ls.jpg

ibvulOvggwzLrm.jpg

Pawn --
ibd69QJYxvlsMI.jpg

Well I pretty much went straight to the end of the game as soon as I got to the endgame. I'm kind of regretting that now, because all I want to do is get back to that content, but I have to go all the way through NG+ to get there -_-

This is why a game like this needs to allow multiple save files, or at least allow me to turn off autosave or something.

Torraz

Any ideas if this game will still be fun when picked up for a budget price a few weeks/months down the road? Will there still be fun with regard to the pawn system or will they all be too high-leveled / expensive? Apparently this ur-dragon thingy keeps getting stronger...

I really want to play this game but I have no time or money for it at the moment...

Just started, level 7, loving the game so far. Quick question, are there any indicators in your quest log as to which quests are main quests and which are side-quests?

I appreciate games that let you wander into areas where you're most likely not supposed to. I attempted the quest in the bottom of the well...yea need to double my level before I try that again.
They're pretty obvious, they'll usually be in a sentence compared to side quests which say collect stuff or kill a certain amount of monsters.

Top Bottom