• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Anteater

Ok Gaf, I finished Skyrim's main quest line a few days ago so I decided to go ahead and pick up Dragon's Dogma because of you.

Quests and exploration isn't really as good imo, but if you like killing shit, you will probably like it.

I think I’ve decided on going with a strider at the beginning. The mage looks fun, but I think I’ll make my pawn a mage....does that sound good for a beginner?

Quick questions. I know you can change classes when you want, but can you change your main character and main pawns face or gender whenever you want?

Also, how exactly does renting a pawn work. How do I let someone else rent mine? If someone else is using her does that mean I won’t be able to use her? : (

Fighter is actually the easiest job to play, it's just a bit tricky with flying enemies (relying on skyward lash at the beginning then you could switch to MK), but play whatever you like, difficulty wise at the beginning I think from the easiest to the hardest would be mystic knight > fighter > strider > mage, but they all end up to be really capable after the early levels, mage pawn is fine too.

GorillaJu

I suppose it's bad form to beg for items in this thread – but impatience has set it and if anyone has extra junk (ranger/strider type stuff), I or my pawn would happily take it off your hands.

GorillaJu

if anyone's curious about the DLC bow, if you put it on your pawn it works but only if your pawn gets the kill.

What I do is, if my pawn isn't on my target, I take it to low HP, then I hold it in place so she can shoot the fucker in the face. getting 2000 exp from one band it is awesome :p

the Ur-dragon is a butt load of exp, right? I just got 45k from one golemn. imagine 5x Ur dragon exp. Hah. Not that exp matters all that much, but I imagine levelling up is a pain in the ass at 100+

Schwabe

I saw people making a few posts about your problem on gamefaqs when the last patch went live I think, I haven't been keeping up with it though, and it doesn't seem like anyone on gaf had any problems.

okay, thank you anteater. i will research the webz, when i get home...

GorillaJu

Does anyone on PS3 have a save with Madeleine being given the gold idol?

I gave mine to Craxton and I'm trying to get ahold of a Flame Skirt for my pawn. Unfortunately I don't have much to trade but would really appreciate it if someone wouldn't mind.

maomaoIYP

Does anyone on PS3 have a save with Madeleine being given the gold idol?

I gave mine to Craxton and I'm trying to get ahold of a Flame Skirt for my pawn. Unfortunately I don't have much to trade but would really appreciate it if someone wouldn't mind.

Flame skirt is a 100% drop from a chest in the final dungeon, it's next to impossible to miss.

ShinAmano

Just finished round 1. I took out all the bosses with the exception of the UR and ended up arould lvl 56.

I used Fighter/Mystic Knight exclusively with my character and Mage/Scorcerer with my pawn.

Started new run where we are both stryders. So far this is my favorite style so far...once i max that out what is a good route next?

GorillaJu

My pink-haired warrior pawn is looking decent. Almost looks like a Soul Calibur character.

i28ZrP5vtH2Ab.jpg

iPcfo9w88ucjY.jpg

And my main character looks quite a bit like Shredder from Ninja Turtles... whoops!

Anteater

Just finished round 1. I took out all the bosses with the exception of the UR and ended up arould lvl 56.

I used Fighter/Mystic Knight exclusively with my character and Mage/Scorcerer with my pawn.

Started new run where we are both stryders. So far this is my favorite style so far...once i max that out what is a good route next?

Maybe assassin? I haven't played ranger yet, so I don't know what it's like (and I heard ranger pawns are terrible or just hard to get them to use bows, i haven't tried myself), but assassin is a mix of fighter and strider so you'll be familiar with the playstyle.

GorillaJu

Maybe assassin? I haven't played ranger yet, so I don't know what it's like (and I heard ranger pawns are terrible or just hard to get them to use bows, i haven't tried myself), but assassin is a mix of fighter and strider so you'll be familiar with the playstyle.

Ranger as a class is really fun to play, but ranger pawns are hit or miss. Sometimes my pawn would one-shot a whole lifebar on a chimera with Great Gamble, and sometimes she'd run around rolling back and forth.

ShinAmano

I think I may go assassin with my main...the pawn I have no clue on. I might look for something that will help with her magic since that is her strong point.

Also so i battled the UR...dont know if I scratched him...but what happens when he dies?

I think I may go assassin with my main...the pawn I have no clue on. I might look for something that will help with her magic since that is her strong point.

Also so i battled the UR...dont know if I scratched him...but what happens when he dies?

If you're not there for the killing blow, then you get some items awarded for your damage contribution.

the Ur-dragon is a butt load of exp, right? I just got 45k from one golemn. imagine 5x Ur dragon exp. Hah. Not that exp matters all that much, but I imagine levelling up is a pain in the ass at 100+

I'm not sure if it'll work on the Ur-Dragon; with the smaller dragons, only you can deliver the killing blow (I've seen my pawn hit the heart with Dragon's Maw and it does nothing), so I assume it's the same for the Ur and Big Red.

GorillaJu

I'm not sure if it'll work on the Ur-Dragon; with the smaller dragons, only you can deliver the killing blow (I've seen my pawn hit the heart with Dragon's Maw and it does nothing), so I assume it's the same for the Ur and Big Red.

Well then you can just use the bow yourself if you dont mind getting levels as a ranger

nataku

Any way to make pawn inclinations permanent? Or at least stick around longer?

I changed mine to Challenger/Mitigator using potions at the encampment and now she's back to Guardian/Medicant. I never touched the D-pad commands since switching her to Challenger/Mitigator, so I have no idea how she switched back.

Guardian is such a useless inclination. My pawn does nothing but stick to me when she's set up with it.

I changed mine to Challenger/Mitigator using potions at the encampment and now she's back to Guardian/Medicant. I never touched the D-pad commands since switching her to Challenger/Mitigator, so I have no idea how she switched back.

Guardian is such a useless inclination. My pawn does nothing but stick to me when she's set up with it.

Just keep a couple of Challenger and Mitigator potions with you just in case your pawn's inclinations change back. Also, I've read that certain hired pawns can have an effect on your pawn's inclinations.

maomaoIYP

Your best bet is actually not to upload your pawn. Set it to offline before you sleep at the inn. The inclination will still change as you play, but not from your pawn coming back from another player.

At what level should I be fighting Ogres?

I'm lvl 21 and I was at the Quary where I need to kill the 3 Ogres, I almost killed the first one but after he becomes enraged near death it gets way too hard, specially since it's such a closed space. My pawns kept dying and dying and dying, and eventually he just pins me to a wall and I die as well.

Also, are all Ogres (or any other monster for that matter) the same level through out the world, or are some more difficult then others?

Anteater

At what level should I be fighting Ogres?

I'm lvl 21 and I was at the Quary where I need to kill the 3 Ogres, I almost killed the first one but after he becomes enraged near death it gets way too hard, specially since it's such a closed space. My pawns kept dying and dying and dying, and eventually he just pins me to a wall and I die as well.

Also, are all Ogres (or any other monster for that matter) the same level through out the world, or are some more difficult then others?

They seem to be around the same levels I think, I don't think I've ran into much higher level ones after the ancient quarry. For me, the ones in the quarry were all killable as early as lvl24 (I've never attempted them at lower levels), it's the level I always go there at.

Pumped in about 5 hours over the last two days and I’m enjoying it a lot!

Like I said, I’ve played for about 5 hours and I’ve only left my hometown and made it to the second area! You so easily get sidetracked, and you can easily spend a really long time simply going through the menus. Speaking of menus, I love how easy and user-friendly everything seems to be. What a breath of fresh air! The core mechanics are rock solid, the game nails the most important aspect – the fighting. And I’m so glad it doesn’t forget to put fun first like so many other similar games. It just sucks that the quality isn’t evenly spread out, the game almost feels unfinished. The biggest let down are the graphics. The environments are really basic and everything looks like vaseline was smeared over the screen. However, the enemies, most of the animations and effects such as fire look completely gorgeous! So much attention was placed on the enemies and effects - and because of that the game at times can look great!

The first Ogre fight was freaking amazing! And yet the first town looks shockingly bad. The games quality is all over the place!!! Also, the voice acting for the main characters is good.....but man sometimes some of the random characters sound terrible. Some of them....wut? And I wish the game had more music – but I suppose it’s still early days. Overall I still love the game, it’s just plain fun. I’m actually having more fun with it than Skyrim, which is like the opposite of this game. Skyrim had amazing environments and mythology, while the combat was dog shit. This game on the other hand has amazing combat but is lacking in the environments and mythology. Oh and I almost forgot to mention – I loooooooove the little crates you can smash in this game, they are straight out of Resident Evil 4 down to the sound effect they make when you break them! <3

Question time:

1. Can I kill strangers? I accidentally slashed one and she ran off. Will she be back? And if I throw them off a cliff will they be permanently gone or will they just be back when I leave and re-enter the area?
2. Do I have unlimited spots for storing items?
3. Can someone explain the screenshot feature to me?
4. Do the environments become less linear and open up later on?
5. What happens if I give items to my pawn and then he/she dies? Can I ever lose my items if my pawn leaves me or dies?

So where's this merchant that forges items that I keep hearing about (black cat or something)?

Oh, and where's Madeline located at after the quest where you follow someone who meets with her? I seem to have misplaced her :$

BeeDog

Question time:

1. Can I kill strangers? I accidentally slashed one and she ran off. Will she be back? And if I throw them off a cliff will they be permanently gone or will they just be back when I leave and re-enter the area?
2. Do I have unlimited spots for storing items?
3. Can someone explain the screenshot feature to me?
4. Do the environments become less linear and open up later on?
5. What happens if I give items to my pawn and then he/she dies? Can I ever lose my items if my pawn leaves me or dies?

1. I'm pretty sure all NPC's that are accidentally killed respawn after a set time (1 week?). I don't think you have to worry at all.
2. Yep.
3. Can't help here, never used it.
4. The environments will always be pretty linear, especially the 'set-pieces' (e.g. dungeons, interiors). It's a guided game experience compared to, say, Skyrim. But yeah, it opens up compared to the early parts.
5. If a pawn dies or leaves you (e.g. the creator of the pawn retracts his/her pawn), all the items the pawn carried are put into your storage. In other words, you can never permanently lose items they're carrying, unless they're health items which the pawns might use.

1. I'm pretty sure all NPC's that are accidentally killed respawn after a set time (1 week?). I don't think you have to worry at all.
2. Yep.
3. Can't help here, never used it.
4. The environments will always be pretty linear, especially the 'set-pieces' (e.g. dungeons, interiors). It's a guided game experience compared to, say, Skyrim. But yeah, it opens up compared to the early parts.
5. If a pawn dies or leaves you (e.g. the creator of the pawn retracts his/her pawn), all the items the pawn carried are put into your storage. In other words, you can never permanently lose items they're carrying, unless they're health items which the pawns might use.

Thanks a lot for that. I really love what I’m hearing! So good to know that you don’t lose anything from your pawns. I was getting paranoid for a while....time to start using them all as extra storage!

And I’m so going to grab everyone now and throw them of cliffs. I was so tempted when I played but I thought they might disappear forever. Do other penalties come from treating people like crap?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So .. i was playing last night running around as my baws assassin just flying through hunt quests and making Selene luuuuuuuuuf me and one of the last big monster hunts I needed was another Griffon. Running around the southern coasts kind of half forgetting that there is the Griffon right outside the bandit fort... My pawn (a sorcerer now at about level 7 vocation rank) is trotting along with me and not really being very helpful even though i very recently forced her back onto scather challenger.

Well we get close enough to that damn bird that she calls him out and look to the sky and think "OH YAH! In the same spot as the cockatrice in the post game! Perfect. Lemme kill this punk!" And he makes his initial dive a little ways away from Vimes (my pawn) and does his squak bawcawk bs ... I sprint up.. take a flying leap and latch on perfectly just behind his head on the neck. Worth noting at this point that i've turned all the HUD elements off at this point in my game. So after i gouge this thing for the full extent twice it takes off... gives me one more chance to gouge into it before I run out of stamina and fall... landing right next to the only tree in that part of the field and start to catch my breath while the bastard starts circling.

And then the magic happened. I was almost totally ignoring my pawn and focusing on the griffon... dodged one electric fly by and was lining up to dodge the next and send more arrows it's way. As I move to the right of his path I follow the beasty and hear my pawn call something out ... only to perfectly time a comestation wall of flame that hit that moffocka like freakin buick. It rolls slightly and digs into the dirt IMMEDIATELY... I walk over and gamble his face twice for the win. I could not have scripted the scene better myself. So perfect.... i wanted a "Hug pawn" option on my controller at that very moment.

And this was only 10 or so minutes AFTER my pawn, without prompting, jumped on the ballista at the conqueror's sanctuary ... I got pictures of that one! :)

This pretty much confirmed my need for the dpad buttons to quick item selections or weapon swap outs ... as imo.. the AI needs no assistance and the Go/come commands are a godamned joke. A definite adjustment that should for sure be in for the sequel. Which MUST happen...

Ranger level 7 Vocation now as well. :)

So where's this merchant that forges items that I keep hearing about (black cat or something)?

Oh, and where's Madeline located at after the quest where you follow someone who meets with her? I seem to have misplaced her :$

The Black Cat is at the Venery of Gran Soren (southeast on the map).

After Chasing Shadows? She should be in the abandoned house right next to the Black Cat.

GorillaJu

I loved the game but was really hard on the story until you finish the Greatwall quest.

The dragon not being a total bastard is really interesting. I loved the "ending" though it would appear there is still much to do to find a real resolution.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
So .. i was playing last night running around as my baws assassin just flying through hunt quests and making Selene luuuuuuuuuf me and one of the last big monster hunts I needed was another Griffon. Running around the southern coasts kind of half forgetting that there is the Griffon right outside the bandit fort... My pawn (a sorcerer now at about level 7 vocation rank) is trotting along with me and not really being very helpful even though i very recently forced her back onto scather challenger.

Well we get close enough to that damn bird that she calls him out and look to the sky and think "OH YAH! In the same spot as the cockatrice in the post game! Perfect. Lemme kill this punk!" And he makes his initial dive a little ways away from Vimes (my pawn) and does his squak bawcawk bs ... I sprint up.. take a flying leap and latch on perfectly just behind his head on the neck. Worth noting at this point that i've turned all the HUD elements off at this point in my game. So after i gouge this thing for the full extent twice it takes off... gives me one more chance to gouge into it before I run out of stamina and fall... landing right next to the only tree in that part of the field and start to catch my breath while the bastard starts circling.

And then the magic happened. I was almost totally ignoring my pawn and focusing on the griffon... dodged one electric fly by and was lining up to dodge the next and send more arrows it's way. As I move to the right of his path I follow the beasty and hear my pawn call something out ... only to perfectly time a comestation wall of flame that hit that moffocka like freakin buick. It rolls slightly and digs into the dirt IMMEDIATELY... I walk over and gamble his face twice for the win. I could not have scripted the scene better myself. So perfect.... i wanted a "Hug pawn" option on my controller at that very moment.

And this was only 10 or so minutes AFTER my pawn, without prompting, jumped on the ballista at the conqueror's sanctuary ... I got pictures of that one! :)

This pretty much confirmed my need for the dpad buttons to quick item selections or weapon swap outs ... as imo.. the AI needs no assistance and the Go/come commands are a godamned joke. A definite adjustment that should for sure be in for the sequel. Which MUST happen...

Ranger level 7 Vocation now as well. :)

Awesome hahah!
I love it when pawns just work.

Second on the weapon swap D-pad for Hybrids.

Anyone using the BradyGames guidebook? Got it ordered and on its way. My Husband wants to use it for his newgame+.

BeeDog

Trying to level my vocations, and am currently a Warrior. Ugh, shit's boring, too slow and grounded. Even regular (snow) harpies are a major pain to fight when going solo.

Trying to level my vocations, and am currently a Warrior. Ugh, shit's boring, too slow and grounded. Even regular (snow) harpies are a major pain to fight when going solo.

The Warrior's jump attack is your friend against harpies.

Also, Arc of Deliverance is a bad-ass skill to pull off.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Magic Archer is the best.

Quick.
Agile.
Has everything for every situation.
Hunter shot is boss.
Explosive Bolt is also boss.
Immolation is the boss of the bosses.

I sincerely believe this is the best class that can cover most, if not all, situations.

Top Bottom