• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Toth

Well, I defeated the dragon tonight and I am taking a break. Overall, i give the game a solid B. I was disappointed the storyline was so jumbled and rather uninteresting. I did like the combat but the auto target system is TERRIBLE. I had a very hard time having my spells hit the right part and the dragon fight was a major problem because of this.

Help!

I got to Grand Soren, went down into the well thing and then was told to meet someone outside the gate to go hunt some monster. Well I decided to dick around and do some other things and now I can't find it in my quest log. Do I have to go somewhere or do something to reinstate it or something?

played some more yesterday after a lengthy hiatus (been 3-4 weeks). Donwloaded a patch etc. Fought a cyclops and mage cast a hurricane spell and the game went to 6fps. never had this before. I was like WTF?

/endstory

*PS3

The slowdown exist on 360 too ..besides this game saves frequently and load from disc/harddrive at a constant pace ... there are numerous factors why you might had a slow down ..

maomaoIYP

Well, I defeated the dragon tonight and I am taking a break. Overall, i give the game a solid B. I was disappointed the storyline was so jumbled and rather uninteresting. I did like the combat but the auto target system is TERRIBLE. I had a very hard time having my spells hit the right part and the dragon fight was a major problem because of this.

Clicking the RS while casting locks your spell onto the target you're aiming at. Clicking the LS gives you free aim. Suddenly magic is awesome again!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Clicking the RS while casting locks your spell onto the target you're aiming at. Clicking the LS gives you free aim. Suddenly magic is awesome again!

I think this appears in a brief pop-up, but I bet a lot of magic users went through the game without using these functions at all!

I do agree about the story being kind of a jumbled mess. I mean, I liked the idea of everything, and the world seems like it could be pretty interesting, but there's just not a whole lot in the game.

Toth

Yeah but it didn't help for targeting certain spots. Especially the big ones ala the dragon.

Oh, I have to add that the character designs and graphics were very poor in game as well. Not a deal breaker but disappointing given how lush the world is otherwise.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish they'd release this on the PC...

Seriously, of all the games Capcom chooses to not release (yet).

It's like Rockstar (Red Dead Redemption) and Capcom are conspiring to keep some of the most amazing open world games off of the PC or something.

one85x

Help!

I got to Grand Soren, went down into the well thing and then was told to meet someone outside the gate to go hunt some monster. Well I decided to dick around and do some other things and now I can't find it in my quest log. Do I have to go somewhere or do something to reinstate it or something?
Sounds like you were just given the Wyrm Hunt License and now need to talk to Ser Maximilian. He's in the Noble Quarter part of Gran Soren.

Iceblade

Feel free to e-slap me if this has already been asked/answered, but are the intrusive black bars in the final build of the game? And if so, is there any option to toggle them?

I really had a good time with the demo of this game, but those bars took up way too much screen space for my liking.

Feel free to e-slap me if this has already been asked/answered, but are the intrusive black bars in the final build of the game? And if so, is there any option to toggle them?

I really had a good time with the demo of this game, but those bars took up way too much screen space for my liking.

There to stay.

Just bought this online. Any tips before I start?

Don't wander off early on, especially at night. Wait until you get to Gran Soren and stock up on some new equipment and change up your vocation (class) there.

Complete board quests whenever you can for money and equipment.

Bring a lantern with you with oil flasks in case night strikes in your travels.

Hire pawns who are in your level range, and have a balanced party.

Hit it until it dies.

Don't wander off early on, especially at night. Wait until you get to Gran Soren and stock up on some new equipment and change up your vocation (class) there.

Complete board quests whenever you can for money and equipment.

Bring a lantern with you with oil flasks in case night strikes in your travels.

Hire pawns who are in your level range, and have a balanced party.

Hit it until it dies.

Learn to manage your consumables early. This game has a fairly large selection of consumables and they'll make your playthrough a whole lot easier if you use or hand them out.

Thanks for the tips, I shall jot them down:

JwUP0.gif

My character and pawn are ready! I spent the afternoon making them from the demo so when the game arrives I can import them and be good to go. I really hope the game doesn't disappoint. I found it cheap and all the GAF praise made me get it. It was an impulse buy. The last time that happened was with Demon's Souls- and I was really disappointed with that. I was iffy on the demo at first, but after getting to terms with everything I started to really like it. I'm not expecting much from the story and mythology, but I'm expecting big things from the combat/atmosphere.

hey you! we played uncharted3. heh. I'll take your pawn out if you want hehe.

Mad RCs. ^_^

my main avatar is a tank!

Oh haiiiiiiii! I'm assuming that you have the PS3 version? I got the 360 version. : (

Seance

Banned
Almost 16 hours in now, lvl. 25, don't know how much of the map I've explored but it certainly doesn't look like much of it! Love DD *.*

Anyone got any tips for item/weight management? I just carry as much as possible without getting to "heavy", but it's becoming a chore.

Delegate all pack mule responsibilities to your pawns. You only need the gear you are equipped with and maybe a lantern. No need to be above "light".

GorillaJu

Change my pawn's armor so it looks like she's in just her panties, and now everytime I use the inn I'm getting gifts from people who used her. L.O.L.

Change my pawn's armor so it looks like she's in just her panties, and now everytime I use the inn I'm getting gifts from people who used her. L.O.L.

I've read a few accounts of this on here and on GameFAQs, and always wondered why...

To me, what I look for in a pawn when hiring:

Looks (equipment, not naked)
Inclinations
Skills

GorillaJu

I've read a few accounts of this on here and on GameFAQs, and always wondered why...

To me, what I look for in a pawn when hiring:

Looks (equipment, not naked)
Inclinations
Skills

What kind of inclinations would you be looking for? I haven't messed with it enough to really know what my Pawn is doing. I should probably set her (as a ranger) to be going for casters/ranged baddies first, right?

maomaoIYP

I take great effort in making my pawn look unique (none of that berskin/flame skirt or abysinnal everything or just underwear+cloak) while having all equipment slots filled and a proportionate, considerably attractive face and yet barely anyone gives a shit because she's a sorc.

You want your pawn hired? Make it female, relatively sexy, and a mage.

What kind of inclinations would you be looking for? I haven't messed with it enough to really know what my Pawn is doing. I should probably set her (as a ranger) to be going for casters/ranged baddies first, right?

Yup, that's what I would do. These are inclinations that I always look for in a class:

Rangers and Sorcerers - Utilitarian/Scather
Mage - Medicant/Utilitarian
Fighter/Warrior - Challenger/Scather

Anteater

I like my pawn so much more now that I stopped caring about enchantment, equipped her with all the nuking and debuff spells and let her do whatever she wants, it's fun to watch her starts casting meteor or big spells instead of wasting her time enchanting, I'd rather use a elemental weapon

sublimit

Banned
played some more yesterday after a lengthy hiatus (been 3-4 weeks). Donwloaded a patch etc. Fought a cyclops and mage cast a hurricane spell and the game went to 6fps. never had this before. I was like WTF?

/endstory

*PS3

Wait until you see some dungeons in the Everfall.:( That shit almost broke the game for me.

Kolgar

So I stayed up 'til midnight trying to dent the online Ur Dragon. Nope, two-plus bars left. Went to bed. Got up at six.

"You have earned your share of the reward."

DAMN!

I guess the Night Knights came out in the wee hours and took him down with all of their 100+ levels of awesome.

Maybe next time.

A question: Ardent Will has both strength and magic stats. Does that mean that it does both types of damage? I was wondering, since only warriors can use it...

maomaoIYP

A question: Ardent Will has both strength and magic stats. Does that mean that it does both types of damage? I was wondering, since only warriors can use it...

Yes....there are quite a lot of weapons that do elemental in addition to physical damage. They tend to be quite good, because they also add the base magick damage that your character has.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Creep towards about 98/99 ... feeling powerful after maxing out MK, Assassin, Warrior, strider and most of fighter... with 3 or 4 levels into mage/ranger and none into sorc yet...

just new game+ing it ... running through quests and such. Mob over to Casssardis and jump into the ur dragon for the first time in a few weeks...

Gen 91
2 full rounds of Dire Gouge rape and no movement on his health bar ...

seinfeldimout.gif

I sware to god. I'm never gonna get a fuckin Online ur dragon kill. Ever.

Anteater

Forgot I have 1 mil on my main account in new game+, port crystals for all my newly made alt characters :D

I think I'm going ranger next, might be my last run since that's the only class I haven't played, do something itsuno!

Just don't buy it from Caxton - it's horribly overpriced. Decent sword for a warrior, but you can find the Triple Tooth at Soulflayer Canyon and it's powerful. There's also a Flamberg inside a chest just right outside of the south entrance of Soulflayer Canyon - the area heading up towards Greatwall.

So I stayed up 'til midnight trying to dent the online Ur Dragon. Nope, two-plus bars left. Went to bed. Got up at six.

"You have earned your share of the reward."

DAMN!

I guess the Night Knights came out in the wee hours and took him down with all of their 100+ levels of awesome.

Maybe next time.

This sucks for me bc I got work every morning so either I miss it bc I'm working or I sleep early for work -_-;

I've only goten 2 kills and I've been missing a lot (of kills).

Toshin

Capcom Unity pawn should have been uploaded to the "Special Pawns" category in the rift on PS3 anyone see what it does yet? and is it up on 360?

man of science

Neo Member
It would be nice to have a list of things you have already made. Or a favorite recipes list.

I'm on my first play through. Level 23 Strider with a Fighter (guardian) main pawn. Renting a Mage (medicant) and Sorc (scather) right now and it's working great. I think when my main pawn and I max our vocations I will swap them because both classes have super useful augments.

Then I'll have to decide between Ranger and Warrior. Anyone tried both?

Forgot to say: I love this game! Especially the Final Fantasy Tactics-like job system.

It would be nice to have a list of things you have already made. Or a favorite recipes list.

I'm on my first play through. Level 23 Strider with a Fighter (guardian) main pawn. Renting a Mage (medicant) and Sorc (scather) right now and it's working great. I think when my main pawn and I max our vocations I will swap them because both classes have super useful augments.

Then I'll have to decide between Ranger and Warrior. Anyone tried both?

Forgot to say: I love this game! Especially the Final Fantasy Tactics-like job system.

I'm a warrior and my pawn is a ranger. Both are awesome! Arc of Deliverance (warrior skill) and Whirling Arrow (ranger skill) are both incredibly powerful and fun to pull off.

What, the combine system is awesome!

What's so awful about it? Just leave everything in the storage and combine from there.

It's just not very intuitive and too much trouble.

Why can't I see what the item I'm about to make actually does?
Why can't I combine stuff in my inventory with stuff on the wh? I mean, enhancing uses items from both the inv and wh but you can't do it while combining.
Why can't I see the materials used for an item that was already combined? If I wanna find out how I made this item I basically have to try out all the items again.
Why can't I see a tree of combinables?

Makes me not wanna touch this again.

Also, why does my strider with the best weapon I could find do no damage at all? I feel completely useless in combat, the pawns do all the work. I can only damage small monsters like goblins or wolfs.

It's just not very intuitive and too much trouble.

Why can't I see what the item I'm about to make actually does?
You already know by the name ..if you don't then combine it to try the effect
Why can't I combine stuff in my inventory with stuff on the wh? I mean, enhancing uses items from both the inv and wh but you can't do it while combining.
fair point ..But the inventory is meant to be used everywhere ..enhancing only in towns ..here is your reason.. it make no sense to combine from your storage everywhere .. while it make sense to enhance in towns with your storage not far away.
Why can't I see the materials used for an item that was already combined? If I wanna find out how I made this item I basically have to try out all the items again.
Because you can have an item without maxing it ...
Why can't I see a tree of combinables?
What prevent you from making one if you need it ? Even games based on combining item as a gameplay mecanic ( atelier games ) don't have such feature .. i don't see why dragon dogma should have it ..
Makes me not wanna touch this again.
Your loss
Also, why does my strider with the best weapon I could find do no damage at all? I feel completely useless in combat, the pawns do all the work. I can only damage small monsters like goblins or wolfs.
My strider does a lot of damage. ON what ennemy are you testing your character and what is your level ?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The PS3 version of the online Urdragon is what level now?!? That's the problem with having an active userbase for the game.

I'm probably never going to kill one. :(

I did a godamned double take when I went in. Last time I had fought him was when I was still in the everfall post game and he was crawling through the mid/low 80s... take one week off and he's 91 deep and climbing. I'm sure if i login now he'll be 92 and ready to wreck me.

You already know by the name
Exactly my point, they expect me to memorize all items?...

..if you don't combine it to try the effect
What do you mean?

fair point ..But the inventory is meant to be used everywhere ..enhancing only in towns ..here is your reason.. it make no sense to combine from your storage everywhere .. while it make sense to enhance in towns with your storage not far away.
I didn't say anywhere, but while ur in town it should allow it, it saves the extra trouble of putting everything on the wh/inv before combining and then taking what you want again.

Because you can have an item without maxing it ...
erm... Again, not sure what you mean by that.

What prevent you from making one if you need it ?
No, I mean a list that shows something like, this item combines with this item to make this item, and in turn that can combine with another item etc.

My strider does a lot of damage. ON what ennemy are you testing your character and what is your level ?

Lvl 18, I'm currently on the dungeon bellow the pawn guild, I've just been following the main quest, and the skeletons that pop out of the ground I do NO damage. And the Ogres... lol

I've had similar problems with some bandits.

maomaoIYP

Lvl 18, I'm currently on the dungeon bellow the pawn guild, I've just been following the main quest, and the skeletons that pop out of the ground I do NO damage. And the Ogres... lol

I've had similar problems with some bandits.

I'll be honest here, you're ridiculously underleveled for that quest. There's an orge halfway down that dungeon, I didn't manage to do any damage to an orge with a strider until roughly lvl 25. And when I did, it was in very slow trickle.

I did a godamned double take when I went in. Last time I had fought him was when I was still in the everfall post game and he was crawling through the mid/low 80s... take one week off and he's 91 deep and climbing. I'm sure if i login now he'll be 92 and ready to wreck me.

You're on the ps3 man, you guys are almost double the number of gens ahead of us 360 dudes. You have twice as many chances to get it done! Also, make sure you actually have builds specifically for fighting the ur-dragons, and test them out fighting it offline. If you can wreck the offline version in a single run in about 5 mins, you're good to go for the online version.

Top Bottom