• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

This game saving system makes no sense.

Retry from last save isn't actually the last save, and retry from checkpoint I have no idea where it is from since I never see any "checkpoint" msg.

I never know which save to load, and the auto save makes no sense, I died and lost near 2 hours of game, even though I finished quests in-between. -.-

Anteater

lol I jumped right into 2 striders and they both spammed hundred kisses on me, fml

dragonsdogmascreensho89lq2.jpg

Anteater

This game saving system makes no sense.

Retry from last save isn't actually the last save, and retry from checkpoint I have no idea where it is from since I never see any "checkpoint" msg.

I never know which save to load, and the auto save makes no sense, I died and lost near 2 hours of game, even though I finished quests in-between. -.-

Retry from last save seem to always retry from the last save you manually do, I *think* autosaves with the game uses that too, I'm most likely wrong on this one, since I never trust them and never rely on them.

Checkpoints seem to be always at the inn or rift stone, I only ever use it when I wanted to roll back to a further point.

So just manually save a lot and use retry and you should be good.

Retry from last save seem to always retry from the last save you manually do, I *think* autosaves with the game uses that too, but I never trust them and never rely on them.

Checkpoints seem to be always at the inn or rift stone, I only ever use it when I wanted to roll back to a further point.

So just manually save a lot and use retry and you should be good.

Yeah, it's what I always forget to do -.-

Here's what I just lost this entire afternoon:

Found my first Golem:
zeH5b.jpg

Easy enough fight, just hit the weakspots:
Av3LZ.jpg

A powerful mage helps:
z7mpj.jpg

(Is it me or is that Meteor skill overpowered? Pawn was actually lower level then me)

Fallen on the perfect spot:
kbZqV.jpg

Hitting the final weak point:
yccKT.jpg

Job well done:
5swAE.jpg

Decided to go back to the camp, fought a 2 Cyclops and a Chimera along the way. Then at night I hear footsteps of what I think it's another Cyclops... what's that moving in the darkness?

yViMU.jpg

SURPRISE!

My pawns not doing so well:
yAgSJ.jpg

Decided to see how well I did, so I jumped on his back.
o9Aws.jpg

He flew up and then dropped me from 200 feet. A quick death lol.

And then I load all the way back on the beach before all this happened. -.-

Also, sheesh Capcom, do you think you can compress the JPGS even further? Way to completely ruin the Photo Mode...

GorillaJu

Just got in on some of that Ur Dragon #99 sweetness. Died about 10 times trying to solo it (hey, I'm level 57 still) but managed to survive long enough one time to get the killing blow.

I got the Totem Mace, the MK shield and the War/Ass shield, and one other weapon (not the bow/dagger/staff I hoped for though).

Now I can change my main back to a male. Had to get that whorey ladies-only armor dragonforged~ My pawn running around in a thong and steel thigh highs I'm all for. But seeing my pale obese dwarf-woman ass in front view for the better part of a few hours wasn't fun.

Anteater

Last few screenshots on strider, time to raise sorcerer!

It's good to have your pawns doing all the climbing. Wait she's a mage, wut.
dragonsdogmascreensho8bjai.jpg

Aliens.
dragonsdogmascreenshoa2k0c.jpg

I'm just going to pretend shooting this cyclops since it seems to be in a stun loop.
dragonsdogmascreenshokjk6o.jpg

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
I try to always leave comments and give worthy items like skele keys and monster mats.

Magic Archer is the best.

Quick.
Agile.
Has everything for every situation.
Hunter shot is boss.
Explosive Bolt is also boss.
Immolation is the boss of the bosses.

I sincerely believe this is the best class that can cover most, if not all, situations.

I never got very high in vocation in my last game so I'm going to give it a shot as my next vocation change now!

Finally finished the game.
God damm I'm a sook or what but I was in tears at the end. My poor MacGyver looked so sad :(

Does the game expect to carry skeleton keys with you? Or is there a key available for every locked door in the game?

I'd prefer to open doors the legit way if possible!

So I name all my characters in my RPGs either my actual name or "Rook". Imagine my surprise when there is a pawn with the same name as my character. I thought the game glitched in the character creation process.

Does the game expect to carry skeleton keys with you? Or is there a key available for every locked door in the game?

I'd prefer to open doors the legit way if possible!

Skeletons keys are used for certain locked doors, like that underground area going to Bluemoon Tower among other places. Some doors require keys that are given by NPCs.

So I name all my characters in my RPGs either my actual name or "Rook". Imagine my surprise when there is a pawn with the same name as my character. I thought the game glitched in the character creation process.

Haha!

So do you guys leave comments for the pawns you dismiss? I always try to choose a good comment. I've got ratings for my hired pawn but never a comment :(

i left comments on my first playthrough all the time, but i didn't for my speedy one. my pawn got one comment in 150 hours of playtime, sadly.

it might be a sign. that pawn will be your future body in the afterlife.

BeeDog

Is there any way to speed up the vocation levelling? I want to get the last two Warrior levels done so I can start with Magick Archer.

Is there any way to speed up the vocation levelling? I want to get the last two Warrior levels done so I can start with Magick Archer.

Just grind the Everfall and kills lots and lots of enemies. If not there yet, completing quests will help in leveling up a vocation, but killing lots of enemies is faster.

BeeDog

Just grind the Everfall and kills lots and lots of enemies. If not there yet, completing quests will help in leveling up a vocation, but killing lots of enemies is faster.

Ah, I'm on NG+ and still haven't reached Everfall. Guess I'll just bust up anything that stands in my way, thanks.

Maybe old news but playing Dragon's Dogma for a couple of days now, I just discovered that while Skyrim's main focus is on exploration and loot, Dragon's Dogma's main focus is on fighting.

This made me realize that Dragon's Dogma is a well disguised hack and slash/brawler in an RPG wrapper.

Then that lead me to comparisons to this game, which I will from now on call Dragon's Dogma Zero. Dragon's Dogma is pretty much the single player sequel or updated version of this.

Shadow_over_Mystara_fighting_Dark_Elves.png

gfs_45443_2_1.jpg

And for those of you who may get offended by this at first glance, don't be, it's a great game.

Anteater

Maybe old news but playing Dragon's Dogma for a couple of days now, I just discovered that while Skyrim's main focus is on exploration and loot, Dragon's Dogma's main focus is on fighting.

This made me realize that Dragon's Dogma is a well disguised hack and slash/brawler in an RPG wrapper.

Then that lead me to comparisons to this game, which I will from now on call Dragon's Dogma Zero. Dragon's Dogma is pretty much the single player sequel or updated version of this.

Shadow_over_Mystara_fighting_Dark_Elves.png

gfs_45443_2_1.jpg

And for those of you who may get offended by this at first glance, don't be, it's a great game.

Yeah, outside of the bosses, a lot of aesthetics seems to be inspired by D&D and their own arcade games, it makes the recent criticism on capcom trying to be "western" really laughable.

GorillaJu

I can see the two enemies in that first picture have picked up on the common DD armor aesthetic of the silk g-string.

Beat the final boss (after 20 wakestone quest) today and decided that this is my favorite game to come out this year and one of my favorites from the generation. Loved it so much. Now in NG+ and getting those quests I missed the first time around.

I beat the "final" boss and now I'm a bit annoyed that there's actually more to do. I wanted to get this game over and done with. Guess I need to do some boss rushes before I can let it go.

Is there anywhere I can store/retrieve items once I've gone into
The Everfall
?

Anteater

I beat the "final" boss and now I'm a bit annoyed that there's actually more to do. I wanted to get this game over and done with. Guess I need to do some boss rushes before I can let it go.

Is there anywhere I can store/retrieve items once I've gone into
The Everfall
?

Inn dude should be in the pawn guild behind the table right next to the notice board

LogicStep

So I got all the quests I could find from the boards. I'm just walking around aimlessly and killing stuff and doing whatever I find. Quests don't tell me specifically where to go so I dunno where to go to do them... Am I doing it right?

Anteater

So I got all the quests I could find from the boards. I'm just walking around aimlessly and killing stuff and doing whatever I find. Quests don't tell me specifically where to go so I dunno where to go to do them... Am I doing it right?

You need to activate the quest in your quest log if you want the quest marker, it usually tells you where to go for the story quests. Kill quests are generally just something you do on your own but you could usually find the mobs you need to kill everywhere around the map.

Edit: but kill quests don't expire so you could do it through out the game.

Mutombo

I'm middle vocation Assasin, level 40, daggers and bows. The bows seem sort of weak, too be honest, might get better when I find a better bow and better skills. For daggers skills I'm using the hundred kisses, the dashing move (forgot what it's name was) and the speed thing, which makes killing with daggers all the more fun. But it's not yet quite the damage dealer I was hoping it to be... am I complaining too soon or am I perhaps too used to my warrior class, who was slow but killed most of the things in a couple of blows...?

I'm on my NG+ and trying to buy as many different pieces of equipment as possible.
Is there any way to know what items I have in storage while I'm browsing shops? Except remembering every single piece of equipment I already own obviously.
(right now, I'm using a character as a mule to bring everything of a single type along, that's painful)

Anteater

I'm middle vocation Assasin, level 40, daggers and bows. The bows seem sort of weak, too be honest, might get better when I find a better bow and better skills. For daggers skills I'm using the hundred kisses, the dashing move (forgot what it's name was) and the speed thing, which makes killing with daggers all the more fun. But it's not yet quite the damage dealer I was hoping it to be... am I complaining too soon or am I perhaps too used to my warrior class, who was slow but killed most of the things in a couple of blows...?

Easy Kill (the counter move) is probably your best bet for dagger interms of offensive skills, it works for some of the bosses attacks too (it would look like you're doing a shoryuken). You may want to switch to a sword for some of the other offensive skills like powder blast and gouge.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
I'm on my NG+ and trying to buy as many different pieces of equipment as possible.
Is there any way to know what items I have in storage while I'm browsing shops? Except remembering every single piece of equipment I already own obviously.
(right now, I'm using a character as a mule to bring everything of a single type along, that's painful)

My husband had the same problem. He just fired up the laptop, opened excel and started making a comprehensive list of all the items he had. So that when he found a new store stock or a new item he could know if he had it or if he could sell it.

After 54 hours wondering in this game i finally went to finish the main story ( i'm busy with 5 others games ATM so that's why i took time in dogma )

The final fight scénarios were way better than i anticipated ..

Now to get to fight the real "beasts" of this game it seems.. what pleases me is that i'm nowhere done with dogma

The game way to lock out of quests without warning is the only flaw of this game

maomaoIYP

Seems like these are the victory poses for my pawns

There's a couple more I think, my favorite is the kneeling down pose. If you're a mage/sorc and you cast an affinity spell when your pawn is kneeling it looks as though they are asking for their master's bidding.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
I've never seen any victory poses from my pawns :(

And I've had many victories

I only get them if I 'stealth' kill a creature. (being a mage or ranger helps with this as you can attack them for bonus damage from afar)

MacGyvers victory pose for a while looked like he was taking a crap. He even made a straining noise. At first I didn't know what was wrong with him.

GorillaJu

I only get them if I 'stealth' kill a creature. (being a mage or ranger helps with this as you can attack them for bonus damage from afar)

MacGyvers victory pose for a while looked like he was taking a crap. He even made a straining noise. At first I didn't know what was wrong with him.

My friend's pawn does this too. I have no idea what she's doing but it looks ridiculous

What the hell? Hahaha

My husband had the same problem. He just fired up the laptop, opened excel and started making a comprehensive list of all the items he had. So that when he found a new store stock or a new item he could know if he had it or if he could sell it.
That's probably what I'll be doing. I found a checklist on gamefaqs, I'll copy/paste it to google docs and check it from the iPad or something.

That's really a poor design decision and I'm writing this as someone who has no qualms with weight limitations or no fast travel (how else would I have learned WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS).

GorillaJu

If you guys need a pawn hire my level 70 warrior. She has 1500 strength! Inclinations and skill set up is ideal and she's not very chatty.

PSN wild_whiskey
Pawn name is Lana Kane

Send a friend invite if you're lower level and want her for free

Killed my first dragon at lvl 31, with a lvl 28 and 30 pawn. Feels good.

Also, the wikia says pawns can't get items Dragon forged, it's false. One of my own had one item upgraded.

Chairhome

Started playing again recently, Lvl 34. I just fought my first
Stone Golem? Rock creature
and actually said "WTF" out loud. Caught me by surprise. Fun fight, too. The map is so huge. Really wish they had a mount or fast travel.

ShinAmano

I killed the pet ogre in hopes to anger the women enough to attack me so I could finish the kill 35 female bandits quest...no such luck.

Top Bottom