• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

I just wasted about 3 hours just now – no not because I didn’t save my game, but because the marker for main quests on the map can really suck. I thought the game glitched.......

On a more positive note, I can’t stress enough how Godly the combat and animations are in this game. I’ve been finding more cyclops’s around and fighting them is an absolute joy!

GorillaJu

Can anyone drop by the Everfall vendors and pick me up a Savage Fang? I can trade DLC armor if you like.

Sorry, on PS3, that is :)

I'm in New game+ and don't have access to the EF.

ElyrionX

I've read that the witchwood quest to find Quina will be failed if you do the pawn guild quest after reaching Gran Soren. Well, I've done that pawn guild quest but the witchwood quest still remains in my active quest list. So will I still be able to complete it?

Anteater

I've read that the witchwood quest to find Quina will be failed if you do the pawn guild quest after reaching Gran Soren. Well, I've done that pawn guild quest but the witchwood quest still remains in my active quest list. So will I still be able to complete it?

Weird, you may as well go and complete it, it gets cancelled after finishing the dungeon under the guild, but you're fine if you arrived at gran soren and start the guild quest as far as I know. I usually go to gran soren first, pick up some gears and the board quests and go to witchwood.

If it's still active then yes. If you start a certain story quest but then some of your current quests disappear, I believe they'll be shown in red when you look at the 'Completed Quests' tab.

ShinAmano

I just found out that I blew the quest for the Golden Idol since I got the Fournival guy locked up. Can anyone tell me if the item does anything great?

I really like the game, but missing quests seems to be way too easy as I am on run two and still missed a bunch and have no idea why.

So sob story aside if anyone wants to gift me a golden idol as well as some bay leaves i will be your best friend.

Also I have two items (tears of dragons)...one from Drake and one from a Wyrven...it says I need one from each species...what am I missing...and when I get them all what does it do?

Thanks.

I just found out that I blew the quest for the Golden Idol since I got the Fournival guy locked up. Can anyone tell me if the item does anything great?

I really like the game, but missing quests seems to be way too easy as I am on run two and still missed a bunch and have no idea why.

So sob story aside if anyone wants to gift me a golden idol as well as some bay leaves i will be your best friend.

Also I have two items (tears of dragons)...one from Drake and one from a Wyrven...it says I need one from each species...what am I missing...and when I get them all what does it do?

Thanks.

The Gold Idol, if given to Caxton (or Madeleine) will unlock very expensive weapons (decent stats, but you can find better stuff at Soulflayer Canyon).

As for the Tears, the other is acquired from the Wyrm. You can find it post-game atop the Bluemoon Tower. If you have all three Tears in your inventory, supposedly your percentage of acquiring rare items from chests increases.

Thanks.

I believe giving the golden idol to either caxton or madeleine you not only get better discounts but you get more equips unlocked. I missed this quest myself so I'm not entirely sure.
Do you have ps3 or 360? If ps3 I could possibley help with the king bay leaves.

ShinAmano

I am on 360. I guess I will have to look for the Soulflayer Canyon (not sure if I have been or not, but I assume yes at this point.)

Also going to hit up the tower and try and get that third tear.

Thanks for the info.

Anteater

Almost done with Sorcerer

Dual casting~
dragonsdogmascreenshohpfqy.jpg

My pawns make me feel like Jesus sometimes
dragonsdogmascreenshoy6i6q.jpg

Our Bolide and Gicel spam was a success against golems, thankfully my pawns seem to be quite smart and cooperate on the spam and staying a distance from it, and they know to Maelstrom it to topple them so I could poke it in the foot for the last crystal, fuck yeah.

dragonsdogmascreenshooiewd.jpg

Chairhome

I'm a little disappointed that I went with Magic Archer first... cause its so good. I just switched to Assassin and using the bow is not as satisfying as it once was. Hopefully I'll get accustomed to Assassin shortly.

Does Sacrificial Bolt send your pawn back to the void? do you just go back to the void to retrieve them?

Mutombo

Where can you find the best assasin bow pre-Everfall? The bow seems quite useless and it takes up an awful lot of stamina too...

And the best daggers?

I'm actually thinking of switching to shield instead of bow.

And ANOTHER THING. I am bloody level 40, thought I was good enough to kill the fucking drake, but it's still taking too long and I run out of 'potions' before I kill it! Goddamn.

Edit: and I went to soulflayer canyon, only to find a bunch of griffon gear, which I all sort of sold immediately after finding them. Too bad.

Anteater

And ANOTHER THING. I am bloody level 40, thought I was good enough to kill the fucking drake, but it's still taking too long and I run out of 'potions' before I kill it! Goddamn.

Edit: and I went to soulflayer canyon, only to find a bunch of griffon gear, which I all sort of sold immediately after finding them. Too bad.

You need ice elemental for the drake, I think having ice enchantment and gouging it in the heart would be quick, but I've never really fought it outside of MK, Fighter (by doing absolutely nothing but slashing, so that took a while.) and sorcerer, having sorcerer will make it a lot faster since each ice spell could probably takes out like a bar.

Where can you find the best assasin bow pre-Everfall? The bow seems quite useless and it takes up an awful lot of stamina too...

And the best daggers?

I'm actually thinking of switching to shield instead of bow.

Kill the Red Dragon as an Assassin and you'll get Dragon's Rancor (Bow) and Dragon's Vein (Daggers). Second best items in their class. Before that, give Caxton the Gold Idol to unlock some decent weapons.

I killed the Drake around level 35 as a Magick Archer, so you can definitely do it as an Assassin. Get those night time augments and a balanced party, then you should be good to go.

maomaoIYP

And the best daggers?

Pre-everfall I THINK it's the Kunai. Does dark elemental. Dark elemental weapons give a chance for an instant kill.

It's in Soulflayer canyon. You know the area in Soulflayer canyon where the cockatrice hangs out? Right after you slide down the big slope to reach that large cockatrice area, it's a random drop from the harvestable spot immediately to the left after sliding down the big slope. Save before you try so that you can reload if you don't get it.

Pre-everfall I THINK it's the Kunai. Does dark elemental. Dark elemental weapons give a chance for an instant kill.

It's in Soulflayer canyon. You know the area in Soulflayer canyon where the cockatrice hangs out? Right after you slide down the big slope to reach that large cockatrice area, it's a random drop from the harvestable spot immediately to the left after sliding down the big slope. Save before you try so that you can reload if you don't get it.

If you can find it there, Madeleine will sell it if you give her the Gold Idol.

Grrr, people keep on gifting me rotten food and not reviewing my pawn. I don’t want anymore useless rotten fooooooooooood! That’s all I’ve gotten so far! : (

Gamertag: Tricky I Shadow (360). Someone here hire my awesome mage and give me some cool loot/a good review! Also feel free to add me as a friend.

Mutombo

If you can find it there, Madeleine will sell it if you give her the Gold Idol.

Missed the chance to get the Gold Idol already, Fournal's in prison. Will it work with silver idol?

And I've been to the soulflayer canyon but haven't seen the cockatrice there. And I think I already opened every chest I saw.

maomaoIYP

Missed the chance to get the Gold Idol already, Fournal's in prison. Will it work with silver idol?

And I've been to the soulflayer canyon but haven't seen the cockatrice there. And I think I already opened every chest I saw.

It's not in a chest, it's a random drop from a harvestable spot. It's the area which contains the triple tooth.

So I know that when your pawns die or you get rid of them all the items they pick up or give them go to storage......but do weapons and armour you give them go to storage too?

I’ve come across weapons and better armour that only a mage can equip, but I’m scared I won’t see all the awesome equipment again if I get rid of the pawns or they simply die.

If you need a pawn, add me, and take mine. If he's not too OP for you then his name is Leonidas and he's a level 89 warrior. PSN ID: itzknickkanc. Anyone else who needs a pawn feel free to send me a friend request.

So I know that when your pawns die or you get rid of them all the items they pick up or give them go to storage......but do weapons and armour you give them go to storage too?

I’ve come across weapons and better armour that only a mage can equip, but I’m scared I won’t see all the awesome equipment again if I get rid of the pawns or they simply die.

I've had that situation where my pawns died and disappeared. I don't remember what they were holding; but if they pick up items or you give them an item and they go to storage then I'm sure wpns and armors will go to storage as well.

I believe that if you give them an item to equip though, you are essentially gifting it to them, though. I think it even tells you so when you equip them.

Yes, for other pawns that's true.

So, to be clear to those who are unsure:
If your main pawn dies, everything he/she has will go to storage (including wpns/armors)
If the other pawns die, everything he/she has will go to storage (but they keep wpns/armors)
-If you give any wpn or armor(s to the other pawns (ones that isn't your main) will be considered as a gift, therefore, you cannot recieve it back. There will be a message asking you to confirm that.

EDIT:
Correction:
The first part is actually wrong. If you main pawn dies, nothing goes to storage. Calling her back will simply bring her back with everything she was carrying in the first place. I know because I thought everything would go to storage so I was deliberately killing her to make a "quick deposit". It didn't work.

As for support pawns, you can ask them to hold on to equipment on the item screen safely, but if you get them to equip them via the equipment screen, it's considered as a gift.

I hope this correction is clear enough. Thank you maomaoIYP!

If your main pawn dies, everything he/she has will go to storage (including wpns/armors)
If the other pawns die, everything he/she has will go to storage (but they keep wpns/armors)
-If you give any wpn or armor(s to the other pawns (ones that isn't your main) will be considered as a gift, therefore, you cannot recieve it back. There will be a message asking you to confirm that.

Thanks for clearing that up, that's what I thought. Kinda sucks that the 2 borrowed pawns keep your weapons/armour. I mean I want to give it to them to make them better...but not if they keep it! >_<

maomaoIYP

The first part is actually wrong. If you main pawn dies, nothing goes to storage. Calling her back will simply bring her back with everything she was carrying in the first place. I know because I thought everything would go to storage so I was deliberately killing her to make a "quick deposit". It didn't work.

As for support pawns, you can ask them to hold on to equipment on the item screen safely, but if you get them to equip them via the equipment screen, it's considered as a gift.

LogicStep

So what is the best damage dealer in the game? And what is the best way to go about leveling up. I read something about leveling an assassin first because they get the best stats or something? I was thinking on going Archer/Magic Archer but I'm not sure. MK isn't doing it for me.

Thanks for clearing that up, that's what I thought. Kinda sucks that the 2 borrowed pawns keep your weapons/armour. I mean I want to give it to them to make them better...but not if they keep it! >_<

It's intresting to note that if you gift a set of armor to a pawn that isn't your main pawn , his original equipment is gone and you can't set it back unless you release him and get another contract ..

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
As for getting the daggers and Rancor with assassin when you kill The Dragon - it entirely depends upon which weapon you have equipped. Not so much your class. Been through twice with swords equipped both times and got the Dragon's Dogma sword both times. Also the rancor the first time (with bow equipped) and that dragon's shield (with the shield up).

So it's dependent on what weapons/gear you currently have equipped.

REQUEST!!

I would like to build out a completely "dark" character for assassin, warrior and Mystic Knight builds... so i need Dark enchanted weapons. The Kunai are the first i've heard of actually (if someone could gift them I will change my pawn tonight)... but I would also like a SWORD with a constant dark enchantment. If anyone has them and would like to gift/trade i'd be down. Or i can friend you and you can take my level 110 super fine blondie Vimes out for a spin! I'll change her to whatever vocation you want!! She's easy like that ...

p.s. if someone wanted to list all the Dark weapons in the game for me.. that would be shweet. Also: Is the DC assassin's gear worth it? (better than twilight?) What about the Chaos armor?

So what is the best damage dealer in the game? And what is the best way to go about leveling up. I read something about leveling an assassin first because they get the best stats or something? I was thinking on going Archer/Magic Archer but I'm not sure. MK isn't doing it for me.

Assassin is great leveling up if you dig the class. Highest +atk out of all the classes. I personally have maybe 15 or 20 levels in other classes and then the rest of my level 110 progression is entirely Assassin. Dire Gouge turns into death incarnate, gambit/counters/poisons also become incredibly ridiculous and when you get good with the bow you'll get lyncean site which combined with preemption is straight death to everything except the large mobs... even then, some go down instantly (eyeball shots on cyclops and the like).
It's a great class.. but it is not very flashy. You have to love the combat and the consistently high dps you can do when you play/fight smart. I definitely recommend.

Assassin gets a higher stat boost in strength than other classes, plus it has night time and solo augments so those will boost strength tremendously. Assassin is the highest damage dealer, IMO. I would go Fighter > Ranger > Assassin for HP boost, Stamina boost and then the Strength boost.

maomaoIYP

p.s. if someone wanted to list all the Dark weapons in the game for me.. that would be shweet. Also: Is the DC assassin's gear worth it? (better than twilight?) What about the Chaos armor?

The DLC armor starts out at entry level strength, when DF-ed they're only about mid tier.

Offhand I can only remember 3 dark enchanted weapons, archstaff-stagnant surge, daggers-kunai, maul-forgot the name, caxton sells this with gold idol.

So it’s ok if one of the 2 support pawns picks up a weapon/armour while travelling, but just don’t equip them with it. Got it! Thanks!

Foxix Von

ohhhh man. So close to platinuming this game. Started playing with mystic knight and I wasn't necessarily feeling it at first but then I realized you can stack magic cannons and that sold me on it. hahaha so awesome.

ohhhh man. So close to platinuming this game. Started playing with mystic knight and I wasn't necessarily feeling it at first but then I realized you can stack magic cannons and that sold me on it. hahaha so awesome.

Just did that today. My first platinum trophy ever.

LogicStep

Assassin gets a higher stat boost in strength than other classes, plus it has night time and solo augments so those will boost strength tremendously. Assassin is the highest damage dealer, IMO. I would go Fighter > Ranger > Assassin for HP boost, Stamina boost and then the Strength boost.

For how long, how many levels do I need to play each one? Should I even bother with these things or will it make a big difference in the long run?

maomaoIYP

For how long, how many levels do I need to play each one? Should I even bother with these things or will it make a big difference in the long run?

It's only going to make a huge difference if you really spend most of your levels with it. In reality it's actually unnecessary, and you can end up with a rather unbalanced character. Even if you don't do this you still end up being quite powerful because weapons play a bigger part.

For example I have a character who spent 185 levels as a sorcerer, but my total innate magic attack is only about as powerful as a dragonforged 3rd to 4th tier arch staff.

Anteater

Just play each class until you get the augments you need or keep playing it if you like it, the stats don't matter all that much in the long run unless you're fighting online ur-dragon or whatever (i never really bother playing passed lvl70 and didn't really care about the ur-dragon stuff), at lvl60 with autonomy and bloodlust you could solo the hardest encounter outside of online ur-dragon, the really high stats are really unnecessary in this game for most of the contents and the cap is unnecessary high.

and plus there are barely enough contents for you to max around 3 vocations before reaching the end of the game, unless you run around killing a lot, so you'll probably switch after you're done with one.

GorillaJu

The other thing is that the extra stats from leveling up as a particular class don't necessarily make you stronger overall. For example, you may get two less str by choosing fighter over assassin, but having extra defense, stamina, hp or whatever is just as useful as having the minuscule boost in attack power. If you level up as a fighter, you'll have more HP, defense and can carry more weight, etc.

You'll find those small boosts aren't worth fretting over, but for your pawn, I'd advise choosing one path (either magical, or physical) and sticking with that for the sake of stats. Again, ultimately it doesn't matter, but considering DD is all about pimping, which ain't easy, it's good to make your pawn more enticing with those higher numbers.

maomaoIYP

and plus there are barely enough contents for you to max around 3 vocations before reaching the end of the game, unless you run around killing a lot, so you'll probably switch after you're done with one.

Actually I maxed all vocations by lvl 90 in my first playthrough....but if you're just following the quest lines directly you'll get maybe 4 at most.

GorillaJu

I still have 2 or 3 vocations left to max out, and I'm level 115. If you aren't actively switching vocations a lot (I spent a long time on Assassin and Mystic Knight personally), then it's plenty likely that you don't have them all maxed out in your first playthrough.

Anteater

Actually I maxed all vocations by lvl 90 in my first playthrough....but if you're just following the quest lines directly you'll get maybe 4 at most.

Yeah, I usually just do all the quests (no escorts) and I would arrive at post game with about 3 vocations maxed out, the highest was my solo MK run which I also wander around the world in post game killing the drakes and I stopped at lvl74 with all the wakestones, I had fighter/assassin/MK maxed when I reached post game.

I don't start new class at the end though and just stick with my main vocation for the last 2 or 3 missions, just feels like it's too late to do those for the 1 or 2 augments I want.

To make it a bit easier, I would just try and get these augments to make a powerful class:

Arm Strength (Strider, 7) - halves stamina consumed when clinging to monsters or climbing them (useful for your Ur-Dragon runs)

Sinew (Fighter, 5) - increases your weight capacity by 10kg (can equip heavy weight equipment and still be light)

Bloodlust (Assassin, 4) - 70% strength and magick boost at night time

Autonomy (Assassin, 9) - 70% strength and magick boost when going solo

Ferocity (Warrior, 3) - Increases damage dealt from your Core Skills

The last two augments are up to you, but for a pure damage-dealing build (whilst having on nice equipment and still running light) I'd say those augments are pretty good.

ShinAmano

So I finished the second run...still missed out on the Hero achievement...seriously quests are way to easy to miss.

Anyhow...since I am not planning on touching this anymore for fear of not being able to stop myself from a 3rd playthrough...if anyone wants anything let me know.

Feel free to use my Pawn 104 Scorcerer. GT Shinamano

LogicStep

I see, thanks all for the advice. I guess I will just focus on getting the augments. I guess it makes sense, the stat difference won't be that big and I still get other useful stats besides damage if I don't go assassin for example. From what I understand it doesn't really matter what you play, your character will kick ass regardless later on.

Foxix Von

Just did that today. My first platinum trophy ever.

The only thing left for me to do is accumulate 350 weapons =/ it's looking to be so time consuming I'm not sure if I want to do it. Well that and see the rest of the multiple endings.

And I now just figured out that a ruinous sigil can detonate magic cannons. Holy crap that's awesome.

The only thing left for me to do is accumulate 350 weapons =/ it's looking to be so time consuming I'm not sure if I want to do it. Well that and see the rest of the multiple endings.

And I now just figured out that a ruinous sigil can detonate magic cannons. Holy crap that's awesome.

That was my third to last trophy, but it wasn't bad. You can make money so easily in post dragon land, that you can pretty easily just travel around to the merchants and stock up. When I started to think about this trophy, I was already at about 290 pieces of equipment, and it didn't take more than a few hours to rack up the rest.

LogicStep

It has been a long time since I've played like this. Hours pass and I don't notice. When I do notice I'm like whatever and keep going. :p

Why is the lip syncing so horrible? :(

Top Bottom