• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

GorillaJu

I'm calling for their heads! But seriously, what?

My complaints for this game are frame rate issues, lack of variety in encounters and environments, and some lazy story sequences. That's about it, but the good outweighs the bad here by a lot.

For me, the most important thing is that the core elements of the game are extremely strong. I've never been a proponent of polish at the detriment of gameplay quality.

While Dragon's Dogma, at times, pretty much defines that phrase "lack of polish," the gameplay never suffers, and that's the only thing that matters.

If Atlas were to somehow be in control of the sequel, I feel it would be absolutely phenomenal.

Anteater

The gameplay suffered a bit from the lack of balance on difficulty, but even so the game is fun if you know where to look, it's just one of those games that did a lot of things wrong and the flaws could really get to you, on top of that there's the poor questing structure and map design that makes you backtrack the same areas a lot.

It's just one of those games that are really fun if you get into it, or you don't.

I think if it was a more linear action game, the game would've been a bigger hit and a better game.

I do like the direction and what they're going for though, so I hope they don't get discouraged and continue with a sequel.

MedIC86

Guys i need your help:

Im really trying to like DD, but i just cant get into it. Does anyone have any tips to make 'it more fun' or something. i really like the art style and the enviroments.

Anteater

Guys i need your help:

Im really trying to like DD, but i just cant get into it. Does anyone have any tips to make 'it more fun' or something. i really like the art style and the enviroments.

Try different classes if the one you're on is boring/repetitive, hybrid classes are better classes than the basic ones.

http://andriasang.com/con219/future_of_gaming_2/

Hideaki Itsuno, Capcom

As detailed earlier, Itsuno said that he really wants to make a sequel to Dragon's Dogma. In the current Drgaon's Dogma, the world's size is about 2/3 of what he'd originally had in mind, and he was able to get only 60 to 70% of his ideas into the game. Among the other ideas he had were giving the players the ability to create quests for themselves and their pawns, and the ability to run atop an enemy and jump to grab hold.

Holy..

Seriously , you can't really dislike this game when you're fighting archhydra or drake and the game is THIS FUN ..

That feeling when you explore soulflayer canyon the first time at night

That moment when you're jumping on a dragon and he start flying on his back , ready to ram himself on the ground teh first chance he gets ..

Yes many stories scenes are poor to say the least ( and that's a shame as the lore and the overall structure was awesome ) but ..who cares ?
When you're travelling and suddenly ... .AMBUSH ( KILL YOUR ENNEMIES ) !! Is more than enough for this game to valid a sequel IMO

Slayven

Seriously , you can't really dislike this game when you're fighting archhydra or drake and the game is THIS FUN ..

That feeling when you explore soulflayer canyon the first time at night

That moment when you're jumping on a dragon and he start flying on his back , ready to ram himself on the ground teh first chance he gets ..

Yes many stories scenes are poor to say the least ( and that's a shame as the lore and the overall structure was awesome ) but ..who cares ?
When you're travelling and suddenly ... .AMBUSH ( KILL YOUR ENNEMIES ) !! Is more than enough for this game to valid a sequel IMO

The game has a very solid base to build on.

GorillaJu

Yeah. Dragon's Dogma is a game of moments.

I was walking up a hill, 3 goblins in front of me. I was completely out of stamina and low HP, so I couldn't use my shield. My arisen is huffing and puffing with his hands on his knees. The first goblin (left) approaches and dink! taken out by ranger pawn. The goblin on the other side (right, for those who don't know) approaches and dink! headshot #2. Then the third goblin leaps into the air to dive at me, and he's blasted backward mid-air by a fireball from my sorc pawn.

And how often do you get those incredible sequences versus drakes, griffons, cyclopses, etc. where you're clinging desperately onto some beast, flailing wildly with caught on fire, screaming its head off and you're stabbing it over and over with machine gun dagger swipes? It's like playing God of War, but the awesome moments aren't scripted, they're completely organic and limitless in how you approach them.

It's why I think the sequel is going to be amazing. The groundwork they've done is so good - the core values of the game (combat, movement, the pawn system, the character creator) are so strong. The steak is good. It's the garnish that needs to be better. And I thought the story line was one long love-letter to the relationship between game developer and gamer. It's one of my favorite story lines in recent memory. Though the voice acting for some of the characters, like the princess, Julien, pretty much all the merchants and such, is terrible. Though it's mostly the dialog and lack of direction that's at fault there. No question the lip-syncing is awful.

So what exactly are people's complaints about this game? I saw it show up a few times mentioned as the most disappointing game of the year.

I was mildly curious. Bought it grudgingly despite that I thought it looked pretty bland, but its now my game of the year and one of my favorite games of the generation. Surprised to see that kind of hate for it, but what is it exactly what people don't like? The poor voice direction?

Personally I think this is not only one of the biggest surprises of the year, but one of the biggest surprises of the whole gen. I’m getting so much more than what I initially expected!

Anteater

Reading the Capcom sales thread, you can tell who played DD and who didn't.

A lot who frequent the Capcom threads usually didn't, they're just there to post capcpom :p

you can already jump to grab hold in the game. just jump and press grab button, works very painlessly.

He probably meant something like enemy step, and walking on enemies like sotc using them as stepping stone.

For the sequel I don't really mind if they cut down on the VA and npc stuff, they could still tell a good story without, and would save them a lot of money, see okami, but it will probably bomb

GorillaJu

I can't for the life of me win the fight vs. the Gorechimera + Chimera + Lich + a bazillion Hellhounds, ugh.

:(

Which one is that? Chamber of Hope? It's a pretty hard one.

For the sequel I don't really mind if they cut down on the VA and npc stuff, they could still tell a good story without, and would save them a lot of money, see okami, but it will probably bomb

Indeed. If they went Demon's Soulsy and kept the VA restricted to a minimum, they could save money and keep the game atmospheric.

I can't for the life of me win the fight vs. the Gorechimera + Chimera + Lich + a bazillion Hellhounds, ugh.

Use a Magick Archer, Strider, Ranger, or Assassin with Six/Tenfold whatever and you'll be done in 3 minutes.

Drink a Liquid Vim and pelt the Lich with Six/Tenfolds, then the Hellhounds, Chimera, and finally the GoreChimera.

Only time I've ever had a problem in that fight was when I was a class that didn't have a bow.

LogicStep

I'm about to go into the post game, right before ng+. Time to farm a ton of gold and gear right? I think I read that area has a lot of rare gear? I hope the better/rare gear looks good because my assassin looks terrible. :S Loot doesn't look very good to me in this game, maybe I'm just using vendor stuff.

Damn it I shouldn't have changed vocations before coming here. I changed to a brand new one and I have like no skills to use here. It's making things harder than they should.

Mutombo

OK, I got the silver idol, and I want to get the most awesome daggers and bow pre-everfall. I got tipped that the Kunai were great, and I had to give Madeleine a GOLD idol. So does anyone know whether it'll work with the silver idol?

If not, might be better to give caxton the silver idol, since I might still change vocations later on and want different weapons?

I've already been to soulflayer as well.

Also, I finally defeated the drake, but how can I tell when something is dragonforged?

EDIT: BLOODY HELL. WHY CAN'T I GIVE MADELEINE THE IDOL? There's no supplier's demand quest! When's it goon' pop up?

Picked up the game over lunch. Can't wait to dive in tonight. Do I need to read up on any sort of guides to start or can I just dive in and muddle my way through without too much hardship?

OK, I got the silver idol, and I want to get the most awesome daggers and bow pre-everfall. I got tipped that the Kunai were great, and I had to give Madeleine a GOLD idol. So does anyone know whether it'll work with the silver idol?

If not, might be better to give caxton the silver idol, since I might still change vocations later on and want different weapons?

I've already been to soulflayer as well.

Also, I finally defeated the drake, but how can I tell when something is dragonforged?

EDIT: BLOODY HELL. WHY CAN'T I GIVE MADELEINE THE IDOL? There's no supplier's demand quest! When's it goon' pop up?

Caxton is the best choice for the Gold Idol if you plan on switching classes. Madeleine does get the Kunai if you give her the Gold and about four pieces of new equipment. Just give her the Silver and Caxton the Gold, IMO.

You can tell your equipment's been Dragon Forged if you get a message on the top right corner of your screen as soon as you get anything Dragon Forged. You can also check your equipment's stats to see if they have four stars.

LogicStep

Well, I think I'm beating the game and done with it, not gonna do a NG+. It was fun as hell, great game. How can I tell how many hours I put into it?

Did that one yesterday ...
I was "Oh shit" When the hell hound went into play ..but unfortunatly for them i made 75 spring water before going into the everfall and distributed every healing thing to my party equally so i was able to manage , counter attack at lv 58 ( got a level during the fight )

Assasin + sorceress + mage + knight

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'm pretty sure i just banished a dragon to the nothingess of noclip hell... walked up the north road out of GS towards the drake that resides there post game and he was clipped into the ground... a few arrows gets his attention.. Quest Starts... he flys towards me and I 6fold his face.. instantly staggering him and sending him to the floor.

Then through it.

Then gone.

Triumph music plays. No quest complete. No exp or DF'd gear.

wat.

I'll post again later.. hopefully to drop some pics of me casually beasting on a white hydra. Another one of those Moments. When you casually realize you are playing solo ... without fear... in the everfall against a boss of bosses. And all his stupid heads are on the ground squirming post neck detachment.

Game of my forever. The sequel has no right to be anything short of legendary.

BeeDog

I'm pretty sure i just banished a dragon to the nothingess of noclip hell... walked up the north road out of GS towards the drake that resides there post game and he was clipped into the ground... a few arrows gets his attention.. Quest Starts... he flys towards me and I 6fold his face.. instantly staggering him and sending him to the floor.

Then through it.

Then gone.

Triumph music plays. No quest complete. No exp or DF'd gear.

wat.

I'll post again later.. hopefully to drop some pics of me casually beasting on a white hydra. Another one of those Moments. When you casually realize you are playing solo ... without fear... in the everfall against a boss of bosses. And all his stupid heads are on the ground squirming post neck detachment.

Game of my forever. The sequel has no right to be anything short of legendary.

Haha, the glitchy flying dragon happened to me too, but I got two items dragonforged, woo!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Use a Magick Archer, Strider, Ranger, or Assassin with Six/Tenfold whatever and you'll be done in 3 minutes.

Drink a Liquid Vim and pelt the Lich with Six/Tenfolds, then the Hellhounds, Chimera, and finally the GoreChimera.

Only time I've ever had a problem in that fight was when I was a class that didn't have a bow.

If you are a Magick Archer than this is horrible advice seeing that the undead is highly resistant to Ice :p

Is there any "sidequest list" available somewhere out there? I am replaying this game currently as an Assassin and it would be nice to have a handy list like that.

Oh and, is there anyway to turn off the "panting sound" of the Arisen when he is running around? It's not really a big deal but the frequency of it starts getting on my nerves.

Haha, the glitchy flying dragon happened to me too, but I got two items dragonforged, woo!

I once fought the Drake in the Devilfire Grove and after a long, hard-fought battle, of all the things to get Dragonforged in my character... Worker Pants got the honor :\

maomaoIYP

A high leveled sorc can instant kill the wight and chimera with a single holy enchanced focused bolt when getting the preemptive strike. The same can wipe out the lion and the snake of the gorechimera.

Recall

I've just picked up the game, for my first character I'm thinking of either Ranger or Magick Archer. Any advice for first timers as it seems it is a difficult game if you don't keep on top of things?

I've just picked up the game, for my first character I'm thinking of either Ranger or Magick Archer. Any advice for first timers as it seems it is a difficult game if you don't keep on top of things?

Some tips:

1. Always carry Skeleton Keys (combine Shackle + Hunk of Ore or buy them from the Black Cat at Gran Soren).

2. Inspect Pawns before you rent them, because a lot of people forget to add skills after they change their Pawn's vocation.

3. Don't rush through the game, take your time.

4. A balanced party of Pawns is the key to great success in battles.

5. Hit it until it dies.

And be sure to experiment with some of the other vocations - they may have an augment to your liking. Augments carry over from vocation to vocation, so keep that in mind.

MrWisker

and he was clipped into the ground...

I was once walking a path and my Arisen fell through into nothingness. I thought I was going to have to reload losing an hours worth of work and then all of a sudden I appear back on the path further down the road.

I figured Capcom programmed into the game a safety measure in case your character clipped into the void.

Just fought this bad boy for the first time:

WoKNQ.jpg

Epic!

ElyrionX

I've got a fire enchanted dagger. If a mage casts Ice Affinity on me, will my attacks do Fire or Ice damage? Or will they do both?

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
Sweet my dragons dogma guide book arrived today. Time to scour through it and reveal all the hidden things I have missed.

Oh well there is always new game ++ right!?

Top Bottom