• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Someone else mentioned being able to clear the water. I have to go back tonight and do that.

Wait, what monster drops the circular key to the door? I killed everything in there and didn't find a key. I figured I'd find it elsewhere so I left...would it still be there if I returned?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I love how stuff is hidden everywhere. Play the same area for hours and still find hidden, secret stuff...

This game is really incredible. I'm really shocked how good it is.

Has it been stated enough just how awesome it is that treasure chests respawn their contents regularly? Gives you good reason to explore off the beaten path even when you've already explored an area.

Teknoman

Man...ran into an armored cyclops on my way out of the bandit stronghold...was insane. Also shots from a dungeon quest.

isRCpOXEp3AaQ.jpg

iNOao6kGkOM5A.jpg

iOuKenvK1HnFv.jpg

ibzJtvE45XhFVv.jpg

iLjNBytjU3awl.jpg

igl4jZyOYSpiz.jpg

ibccIG5PTNM8uN.jpg

Also that one quest where you have to find a snake skin purse...I found the damn thing, forgot to save and died, and now I have no idea where I found it :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Also that one quest where you have to find a snake skin purse...I found the damn thing, forgot to save and died, and now I have no idea where I found it :/

Damn, I've really been wondering where it is. I actually need it to upgrade one of my armor pieces, so I want to forge it for the quest and use it on myself. Forging is wonderful.

Wait, what monster drops the circular key to the door? I killed everything in there and didn't find a key. I figured I'd find it elsewhere so I left...would it still be there if I returned?

Not sure, I didn't see a key either. But you can actually get behind the door if you look at the map and see the path behind it. I almost thought I was going to get stuck, but it ended up working out.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I still can't decide if I want this game or not. The combat in the demo was mostly mindless hack and slashing with my pawns going crazy and enemies running everywhere. Was hard to tell what was going on.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Explosive arrows are excellent, and amusing.

Giant Bomb Review

Another "it's not Skyrim and where's mai multiplayer" review.

I think many are going to miss what the point of the pawn system is, or why it's interesting, because they will glance at it and assume it's a cheap hack to replace 'real' multiplayer. It's really not. It's just an indirect multiplayer influence system, to preserve the game being something you take at your own pace.

1stStrike

Banned
Is your Pawn being used by other players automatic?

No. They select your pawn from amongst other pawns and have to manually choose to bring your pawn along with them. It's a great dynamic to the pawn system - your pawn could just be walking down the road, they're hurt and out of healing items, and they've lost all but their main pawn in a battle. They have a long ways to go and more fights to follow, and so they ask your pawn for his assistance and he saves their ass so they can make it back to the capital.

At least that's how I picture my pawn, anyway.

You're probably too far in the game (high level) for me!

I've been taking my time with this.

I'm level 32 at the moment :p I'm having a blast with it and while I am taking my time, I've been sinking far more hours into the game than I should. I went to bed at like 4 am last night and had to be at work at 9 am :p

The character creator in this game is one of my favorite ones ever. My family team is sort of an Arya Stark -inspired little girl mage (me) and her fearsome grandaddy. Both are reallly realistic-looking characters I couldn't have really made in games like Dragon Age or Skyrim. I wish there was an option to take those ingame screenshots without enabling some social media BS though.

I would love to see your Arya. Mine is a strider now magic archer, fighting along side her sister Sansa, the sorceress. My new favorite support pawn is Lightning.

Arya
ib2uWOJXpHfj13.jpg

Arya and Sansa
ibx6nZx6z8skDa.jpeg

The Crew
iRUOY1TzcxLCP.jpeg

Salaadin

I never found a key. I only found a lever to open the door and then killed all the enemies in the back. I did make one daring jump across a ledge and found some gold and armor back there so Im assuming the parts I missed are also somewhere I need to jump to.

Xevren

I love playing as an assassin so much. They have such great skills. Using that arrow shot that causes torpor is crazy useful on fighting anything big.

Karak

Is your Pawn being used by other players automatic?

If you go to an inn and save they are uploaded automatically if that is what you mean.
If you mean do others get your Pawns forced on them, no. We get to chose in the choosing chamber who we want to take.

ironcreed

Banned
Some good pics there, Teknoman and Lighthouse. If any game needed a screenshot feature, this would be the one. You never know when something is going to happen or just a really cool visual presents itself. So happy they included this.

I still can't decide if I want this game or not. The combat in the demo was mostly mindless hack and slashing with my pawns going crazy and enemies running everywhere. Was hard to tell what was going on.

Come at the game from a hack n' slash perspective against a boss creature or a tough mob of enemies and you won't last long. The demo had to be accessible. The actual game is a lot more challenging.

If you go to an inn and save they are uploaded automatically if that is what you mean.
If you mean do others get your Pawns forced on them, no. We get to chose in the choosing chamber who we want to take.

Yeah, I was wondering how the uploading process works, thanks

When should I do the well quest? I'm level 7, and me and my party got slaughtered by those lizard fuckers!

Yeah, I tried doing that too soon as well. Pawns refuse to listen and jumped down instead of letting me pick the mobs off with a bow. Came back at level 10 with level 10 pawns (two mages plus my warrior). One mage was blasting them with fire the other was enchanting weapons with ice. Enemies died incredibly fast.

Evolved1

When should I do the well quest? I'm level 7, and me and my party got slaughtered by those lizard fuckers!

Depends on your playstlye... and the equipment of your pawns.

If you summon a bunch of pawns with the DLC armor, then early game is pretty easy. If you're avoiding the DLC cheese armor, I think your strategy is more important than your lvl 7-14... you have to try and take them a few at a time, as opposed to a giant clusterfuck of a fight. You charge in you might get creamed at lvl 14. But if you take a couple at a time, drawing them away to fight on the side... you might pass it a lvl 7.

Kinda hard to say... lots of factors.

Papercuts

Lizards are extremely easy with ice enchantments. One of the most effective weaknesses I've seen in general.

Evolved1

Yeah... they really missed an opportunity for some more control over pawns: too bad you can't differentiate the type of "help" you want with r/l on the d-pad.

One direction requests "buff" and the other requests "heal or aid".

The pawns do a decent job of this, but sometimes I'd like more precise control.

Another "it's not Skyrim and where's mai multiplayer" review.

I think many are going to miss what the point of the pawn system is, or why it's interesting, because they will glance at it and assume it's a cheap hack to replace 'real' multiplayer. It's really not. It's just an indirect multiplayer influence system, to preserve the game being something you take at your own pace.
Yeah, it kind of frustrates me that he thought there was no reason to explore. Exploring almost ALWAYS results in hidden stuff (as long as you can survive your way out).

You can also tell that he wasn't really aware of the pawn's learning system, but I won't knock him for that since it's never really explained in game and does lead to some frustrating moments (DON'T RUN STRAIGHT IN TO THE GROUP OF 10 BANDITS MAGE PAWN!!).

Yeah, it kind of frustrates me that he thought there was no reason to explore. Exploring almost ALWAYS results in hidden stuff (as long as you can survive your way out).

You can also tell that he wasn't really aware of the pawn's learning system, but I won't knock him for that since it's never really explained in game and does lead to some frustrating moments (DON'T RUN STRAIGHT IN TO THE GROUP OF 10 BANDITS MAGE PAWN!!).

This game has it's issues but it is 100% all about "the journey" and exploration. I'm enjoying it so, SO much.

Trevelyon

Bah, clipped through a cave wall and fell to my death, must've lost three solid hours of adventuring and leveling. What are the parameters with auto-saves, I was under the impression it saved on every quest completion, be story related or miscellaneous, I defeated some hard fuckers too.

Fuck, I'm really turned off atm.

Bah, clipped through a cave wall and fell to my death, must've lost three solid hours of adventuring and leveling. What are the parameters with auto-saves, I was under the impression it saved on every quest completion, be story related or miscellaneous, I defeated some hard fuckers too.

That sucks...my standard operating procedure now is when something happens that I don't want to lose, or do over...I save.

(I save about every 15 to 30 minutes.)

Press Start and then Back for instant manual saves after every completion, boss kill or what not. It is fast and easy. What happened to you happened to everyone here.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
hired a pawn last night named Oldboy or some such name... short little guy... mage class. He more than almost any other pawn (besides my own) was able to play and truly help out in cases where it was needed. As i fought a cyclops he first sets him on fire, then immediately afterwards lit my sword up hot and then dropped a healing spell at the cyclops' feet so I was gaining life back as I stabbed. All the while he stayed a decent enough distance back to not get whacked with that giant fucking club. So gud.

Also.. to any mages out there... what is the spell that looks like a blue version of healing do? Restore stamina faster? buff?

Papercuts

hired a pawn last night named Oldboy or some such name... short little guy... mage class. He more than almost any other pawn (besides my own) was able to play and truly help out in cases where it was needed. As i fought a cyclops he first sets him on fire, then immediately afterwards lit my sword up hot and then dropped a healing spell at the cyclops' feet so I was gaining life back as I stabbed. All the while he stayed a decent enough distance back to not get whacked with that giant fucking club. So gud.

Also.. to any mages out there... what is the spell that looks like a blue version of healing do? Restore stamina faster? buff?

I think there's a few types of it. I have a pawn mage that uses a blue looking spell that removes most debuffs.

Maaseru

Banned
Two questions?

How do vocations exactly work? I'm level 15 but still a Fighter. If I were to change to a Mystic Knight do I love the augments of upgrades to the skills? If I change to warrior or Range do I loose the ability too use swords? I basically want to be a battlemage, mainly focused on physical attacks that could use an enchanted/magic bow? Can I do this in one class. Basically can someone tell how it works?

Also for weapon enhancements? Are the levels individual? I can upgrade a certain piece of equipment to level 3, before 1 or 2, so would it make those levels pointless or are the improvement cumulative?

A Bump for justice? Any one?

Also does weight affect stamina? Any way to run faster, have more stamina, mounts? i wishlol

And do Items which are stored can still be used, like when upgrading items?

Awesome game, have spent like 10 or more hours between first town and encampment, just got to Grand Soren last night( I already did the Quina mission on Witchwood, btw where are the spiders and when do those trolls wake up?)

A Bump for justice? Any one?

Also does weight affect stamina? Any way to run faster, have more stamina, mounts? i wishlol

Man...if you could buy a mule to carry your shit. And then have to worry about it getting killed by a huge beasty but offsetting the fact that it could carry so many supplied.

The game would be dreamy.

...seriously.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Reading the last few pages I'm starting to realize that i completely skipped the missions at The Encampment. Never did a single mission there. May have to make the trip back there sometime... impress the locals with my skillz that killz and pick flowers or some shit.

owlbeak

34 hours into the game and STILL finding new surprises!! Was just in the woods at night and heard wolves howling, I looked around but couldn't see any wolves outside the light of my lantern. What I did see was more frightening, about 5 pairs of glowing yellow eyes in the darkness just beyond my lantern's light. Then I was attacked by direwolves.

Awesome :)

Arcteryx

the monster you kill in there for the hunt quest does

Also: that place is annoying. I had a rented pawn decide to commit suicide by jumping into the deep water...insta-died.

Top Bottom