• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

pantsmith

Such a strange disconnect. Anyone I ask who is actively playing the game loves it, while reviewers cant even figure out how simple mechanics work?

Yes, it is a flawed game, but I don't understand why a game shouldn't get points for giving you things other games don't give you enough of. Its fun. It rewards skill and proper planning. I've already been forced into more epic adventures (like the time I wound up at and proceeded to get stuck in Cursewood... at night...) than Skyrim gave me in any of its pre-constructed vignettes, and the fact that I can actually die lends a genuine sense of urgency I can't fast travel my way out of.

Nearly every single person in this thread (unless I missed something) is having a grand old time. What is the disconnect between gamers and reviewers?

joe2187

Banned
A Bump for justice? Any one?

Also does weight affect stamina? Any way to run faster, have more stamina, mounts? i wishlol

And do Items which are stored can still be used, like when upgrading items?

Awesome game, have spent like 10 or more hours between first town and encampment, just got to Grand Soren last night( I already did the Quina mission on Witchwood, btw where are the spiders and when do those trolls wake up?)

I'm running mystic knight right now, There are certain weapons you are limited to and only certain weapons that work with the mystic Knight, You'll keep all your sword skills you've upgraded but you'll learn a few specific more for the Mystic Knight. You'll have to level up the Vocation in order to gain more powerfull skills and specific augments. It would be best to invest in an mages staff of your liking, (one that works with mystic knights) as they are very useful and powerful.

Right now Im a mystic knight weilding a fire enchanted mace, with my magic shield I can augment it to also include any other elemental damage I want, You can use your shield to deal massive magical counters that can kill in one hit with a perfect parry.

I'm also using the an magic shield skill that augments my main weapon into a longer range magical dark-blade that does so much damage it's unfair, This applies to an equipped Mages staff or archstaff as well.

Stamina is affected by weight, the smaller the faster the bigger the slower, the smaller the less they are able to carry, the bigger the more etc etc, it all balances out, you can run faster and regenerate more stamina the less you carry in your personal inventory ( I usually dump everything on my pawns if I get too heavy, or have them pick it up and store it in the box at the inn)

Such a strange disconnect. Anyone I ask who is actively playing the game loves it, while reviewers cant even figure out how simple mechanics work?

Yes, it is a flawed game, but I don't understand why a game shouldn't get points for giving you things other games don't give you enough of. Its fun. It rewards skill and proper planning. I've already been forced into more epic adventures (like the time I wound up at and proceeded to get stuck in Cursewood... at night...) than Skyrim gave me in any of its pre-constructed vignettes, and the fact that I can actually die lends a genuine sense of urgency I can't fast travel my way out of.

Nearly every single person in this thread (unless I missed something) is having a grand old time. What is the disconnect between gamers and reviewers?

The difference is that the majority of us are passionate about gaming and enjoy gaming.

Reviewers...well...they're not.

Derrick01

Banned

The difference is that professional video game reviewers are really casual gamers now.

It makes no sense but it's how it is for the most part.

edit: beaten but the point needs to be hammered home.

RPGCrazied

Texture poping in is distracting. :( Looks great aside from that. Question, can you change your pawn or main pawns appearance? Can't seem to find that. And haha, I just recruited a level 40 pawn. Hope that doesn't break the game. I'm only level 6.

Where is the house to clear out the rats? Can't find that either.

Texture poping in is distracting. :( Looks great aside from that. Question, can you change your pawn or main pawns appearance? Can't seem to find that. And haha, I just recruited a level 40 pawn. Hope that doesn't break the game. I'm only level 6.

Where is the house to clear out the rats? Can't find that either.

Rift Crystal Vendor in the encampment by the rift stone sells an item to change appearance of your pawn.

Karak

Though there are still some reviewers who are very passionate about games they are less often heard from than those who can spit out a review in a shorter time. They also may be playing and reviewing 2-3 games at a time, it may not be a game they like to play personally. This happens so fucking often its insane. And if its not a person who likes a style of game, the review is going to usually suffer as many times they won't know the history of the genre, or caveats, or the changes a new game brings to the table. Lastly, some may just not like it. I have actually talked to a good number of people that the demo nor the full game really felt right to them. As with any game its going to be based on opinion and there are detractors of this game even within our own gaming communities.

I am debating of switching my Magic Archer to Ranger because of the sheer fact that Magic Archer is a pure newb class the way I see it. Lock-on when shooting arrows, arrows follow enemies around, a skill that fires a big ass light flare, explosive arrow can annihilate 1 huge enemy because you can spam them on 1 enemy before you hit them. There is no real challenge.

Mecha

I'm glad people are, I'm also having a lot of fun with the game. It isn't perfect but some of its flaws adds to the games 'personality' to me.

I am debating of switching my Magic Archer to Ranger because of the sheer fact that Magic Archer is a pure newb class the way I see it. Lock-on when shooting arrows, arrows follow enemies around, a skill that fires a big ass light flare, explosive arrow can annihilate 1 huge enemy because you can spam them on 1 enemy before you hit them. There is no real challenge.

There's nothing wrong with being powerful.

I'm a ranger-supremacist, though, so I'd always welcome more to my cause. My level 32 ranger dominates any battlefield he sets foot on. Tenfold Arrow is a virtual arrow machine gun. God help any mob that's been hit by my oil arrows and then hit with a blast arrow.

I'd recommend switching to ranger for a while if only to learn some of their augments, but it's definitely my favorite class.

1stStrike

Banned
34 hours into the game and STILL finding new surprises!! Was just in the woods at night and heard wolves howling, I looked around but couldn't see any wolves outside the light of my lantern. What I did see was more frightening, about 5 pairs of glowing yellow eyes in the darkness just beyond my lantern's light. Then I was attacked by direwolves.

Awesome :)

The direwolves are actually pretty damn smart. I was up against a pack of them last night and I've noticed that they will jump backwards whenever I use a melee attack, so I had to constantly try and either snare them or stun them with my bow before I could move in for the kill.

Also, several of them surrounded me at one point and started ripping me to shreds. Luckily, my main pawn is a bad ass and charged into them, sending them scattering away from me long enough for me to heal and get back into the fight.

Also, random detail I noticed - my pawn has a helm on with a flip up/down face plate. Outside of battle, it's flipped up, but once he goes into combat he flips it down for protection. Really cool detail there.

There's nothing wrong with being powerful.

I'm a ranger-supremacist, though, so I'd always welcome more to my cause. My level 32 ranger dominates any battlefield he sets foot on. Tenfold Arrow is a virtual arrow machine gun. God help any mob that's been hit by my oil arrows and then hit with a blast arrow.

I'd recommend switching to ranger for a while if only to learn some of their augments, but it's definitely my favorite class.

As KoA showed, being too powerful is a drag. It just sucks out the excitement from the game and battles go from exciting to mundane.

theDeeDubs

I'm ready for the traditional review to die. I don't care what some random dude spinning around hugging his copy of Skyrim thinks about games. Quicklooks, twitch.tv, and to a lesser extent podcast impressions are where it's at.

And MA is kind of easy mode. Being able to paint 10 targets that you can't even see yet does feel kinda OP. Such a fun vocation though.

owlbeak

My god....just had my first encounter with a Griffin! The word "epic" does not do this fight justice. This game is amazing.

LzQoA.jpg

eRwNn.jpg

LzL95.jpg

As KoA showed, being too powerful is a drag. It just sucks out the excitement from the game and battles go from exciting to mundane.

If there's anything DD teaches us, it's that we tend to be punished for our hubris. Rivyn may consider himself overpowered now, but perhaps he hasn't yet met the monster that would crush him?

When is a good time to switch vocations? I'm level 25 and I just maxed out my Fighter vocation. Also when I switch I assume I lose my current skills as a Fighter?

Totally digging the game. I mean, flaws shmaws, the game is perfect, it has to be, it's the only game like it there is.
(Ok, that is not entirely true, but you know what I mean.)

Killed a hydra and now Level 10. Even beat the well at Level 8 (also found a book on a roof telling me how to attack the lizards after the fact.) My pawn's appearance was rated 3 stars and it's good to know she was helpful. Thank you, the player that liked Tea the Strider.

I killed that
Wyrm near the Shadow fort. Dropped his horn, some blood. They aren't too hard until they enrage, which is when they one hit kill pawns, and can mind control them.

Xevren

When is a good time to switch vocations? I'm level 25 and I just maxed out my Fighter vocation. Also when I switch I assume I lose my current skills as a Fighter?

Whenever you want. Augments can be mixed up so if you know what class gets what you can get some nice combinations. For active skills it depends what you were before though. Some actives are restricted to a single class so you might not be able to do much on your new class.

Finally managed to beat the Quina Witchwood mission.

Spiders? Cake.
Wolves and goblins? Not a problem.
The fog in the woods? I can deal.
Cyclops? give me a few buddies and I'm fine.
Ogres? Okay, getting nasty. All my female party member are now bait, but it's alright.

Bandits? NO. NEVER. DO NOT TANGLE WITH THESE MEN.

The whole quest was pretty easy save for those goddamn bandits at the front of the woods. Holy hell if one of my pawns hadn't have run down a cliff and valiantly distracted half of them I wouldn't have been able to even get to the woods.

Whenever you want. Augments can be mixed up so if you know what class gets what you can get some nice combinations. For active skills it depends what you were before though. Some actives are restricted to a single class so you might not be able to do much on your new class.
I'm speaking more specifically going from Fighter to Mystic Knight. Since they both use sword and shield are the skills shared?

Jomjom

Banned
Is the combat in this game better or worse than Skyrim? To me Skyrim was a POS game because of how horrible the combat was. I mean I literally would rather play turn based RPG combat because of how bad the combat in Skyrim was.

Also does this game have a story?

Wallachia

Spiders? Cake.
Ogres? Okay, getting nasty. All my female party member are now bait, but it's alright.

The whole quest was pretty easy save for those goddamn bandits at the front of the woods. Holy hell if one of my pawns hadn't have run down a cliff and valiantly distracted half of them I wouldn't have been able to even get to the woods.

I heard Bill Murray's voice as I read all that. Vaild though..

owlbeak

Is the combat in this game better or worse than Skyrim? To me Skyrim was a POS game because of how horrible the combat was. I mean I literally would rather play turn based RPG combat because of how bad the combat in Skyrim was.
Combat in this game makes combat in Skyrim look like a fucking joke. It's REALLY, REALLY good.

LProtag

Don't spoil the ending, but is it as out of left field as people are saying? And can you go back to the game you just beat, and do the other quests?

Well there's a choice you can make. I didn't think the ending was crazy or anything like that, but perhaps it's a lot different with the other choice.

Some of my quests got cancelled, but I think you can still do the notice board stuff.

The difference is that professional video game reviewers are really casual gamers now.

It makes no sense but it's how it is for the most part.

edit: beaten but the point needs to be hammered home.

This needs to be hammered down more.
There are no professional reviewers anymore. Just random freelancers that sites hire to makes reviews based on a few hours of playtime.
Most of them have very little videogame experience I'd wager.

1up, IGN, Gamespot etc... publications that I used to go to & have respect have all gone to shit. All if not of their original staff are gone, the quality of their writing is now equivalent to a random twiiter post.

Apeboy

Spiders? Cake.

Dragon's Dogma - Accomplish the Task

Raptomex

Combat in this game makes combat in Skyrim look like a fucking joke. It's REALLY, REALLY good.
And the combat in all TES games are atrocious. The combat in this game is pretty damn awesome.

VariantX

I just turned my game on today, slept at a hotel, saw that i had 10,000+ rift crystals waiting for me. If only I could know the adventures my pawn was having without me....

Delio

I'm speaking more specifically going from Fighter to Mystic Knight. Since they both use sword and shield are the skills shared?

I dont think Shield skills are shared. Since the Mystic Knight uses a magic shield that just has these magic counter moves.

Speaking of Mystic Knight I'm not enjoying it much. Switched from my Sorc and geez I dont like having to choose between using a sword at one point then my staff. I do enjoy having a shield as a mage but I rather just be a Sorc.

Grisby

Yeah, this might be the best combat I've ever experienced in a action RPG. The 3 arrow strider skill makes my bow act like a goddamn shotgun.

Damn I'm buying this game today after work.

How's the story if there is one? Or is it more like Demon's Souls where the story isn't really the point?

Be patient with yourself and with the game.

Generally...if you have a question, I found that if I played the game for another hour...it got answered and you're rewarded with a sense of discovery. :)

joe2187

Banned

Also does this game have a story?

The combat is very similar to action games, likem DMC1, and DMC3 at least if you play as a fighter class, The rest of the classes are all very streamlined and wonderfully animated combat feels visceral and flexible towards how you wish to play. This game is basically a Medieval fantasy combat simulator.

The story is...very weak. The combat is very awesome.

putarorex

This is the kind of game I would dream about back in my younger days playing 2nd edition AD&D. The world and the monsters just ooze old school D&D.

My pawn seems pretty popular. It is nice when he comes back with some good gifts. The one thing I hate is the infrequency of the auto saves. I now save from the pause menu before any dangerous spot to ensure I don't lose an hour of game time.

When you let a pawn go for a new pawn, what happens to all the items they picked up? Do they just transfer to you or your storage or do you lose them?

owlbeak

This is the kind of game I would dream about back in my younger days playing 2nd edition AD&D. The world and the monsters just ooze old school D&D.
My friends and I were discussing this. This game is closest thing to an actual video game version of a Dungeon's and Dragons pen & paper session I've ever had. It's the best way to describe the game. My friends and I all agreed on that.

Damn I'm buying this game today after work.

How's the story if there is one? Or is it more like Demon's Souls where the story isn't really the point?

There is a story & it does advance throughout the game with cutscenes & all.
It's not a story heavy game though, I would still say the main storyline is better & more frequent than with Skyrim/Oblivion.

blurrygil

My friends and I were discussing this. This game is closest thing to an actual video game version of a Dungeon's and Dragons pen & paper session I've ever had. It's the best way to describe the game. My friends and I all agreed on that.

I think this is very well said. I share these thoughts as well.

I dont think Shield skills are shared. Since the Mystic Knight uses a magic shield that just has these magic counter moves.

Speaking of Mystic Knight I'm not enjoying it much. Switched from my Sorc and geez I dont like having to choose between using a sword at one point then my staff. I do enjoy having a shield as a mage but I rather just be a Sorc.
Damn, I'm debating on Mystic Knight or Warrior. I love using swords and shields though but if Warriors are fun I may try that vocation.

Love reading these posts. Shower and eat before starting, as hours will melt.

Haha, yeah, it's awful in the best way. I haven't been this glued to the TV since the great Skyrim weekend of '11. DD is a dreadfully addictive game. Let me level up one more time. Let me upgrade one more weapon. Let me survive one more night in the wild. You'll start at 8:00 PM and before you know it it's 3 in the morning. Fuck.

Top Bottom