• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm about to start my first character and I have no idea what class to pick. I prefer a decent challenge my first time through but prefer to save the higher difficulty playthrough for my next time after I've absorbed the ins and outs of the game.

Choosing a class at the beginning isn't a permanent decision, so don't sweat it too much. You can switch classes after hitting level 10, and the game encourages switching your classes up. Just pick whichever one catches your eye and if it doesn't click just change up at the first opportunity.

If you want an actual suggestion, I started with Strider and had a lot of fun with it. You get a bow and a pair of knives to play with, so you've got both ranged and melee options, and you get plenty of time to practice your marksmanship so that when the time comes to start fighting big gribblies you'll be arrowing them in the eyeball like a pro.

Schwabe

okay, thanks. then i have to run back to the encampment later...

here some screens.

looking back to gran soren

sunrise at bluemoon tower

and a sunrise at a very nice beach (pawns mention it a couple of time at arrival) in the south west corner of the map, forgot the name.

Mastperf

Choosing a class at the beginning isn't a permanent decision, so don't sweat it too much. You can switch classes after hitting level 10, and the game encourages switching your classes up. Just pick whichever one catches your eye and if it doesn't click just change up at the first opportunity.

If you want an actual suggestion, I started with Strider and had a lot of fun with it. You get a bow and a pair of knives to play with, so you've got both ranged and melee options, and you get plenty of time to practice your marksmanship so that when the time comes to start fighting big gribblies you'll be arrowing them in the eyeball like a pro.
Thanks. :)

Atruvius

Magic archer is awesome! Much better than strider, especially the magic bow which deals a ton more damage than regular bows.

Explored watergod temple yesterday (
Killed the ogre, got three glyphs and managed to drain the place
) and going questing there today.

Why didn't the devs think of quick traveling via rift stone to another. Would save so much time.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Magic archer is awesome! Much better than strider, especially the magic bow which deals a ton more damage than regular bows.

Explored watergod temple yesterday (
Killed the ogre, got three glyphs and managed to drain the place
) and going questing there today.

Why didn't the devs think of quick traveling via rift stone to another. Would save so much time.

The journey is part of the adventure, though. There's a lot of awesome experiences I would have missed out on had I been able to just jump from one rift stone to the other.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game is turning out to be one of my favorites... ever.

Just seems to scratch every single itch. All the stuff I love about games is in here and much of the stuff I don't is missing.

The Souls games were pretty incredible for me this gen, but DD (we should call it D&D) is even better (imo).

Schwabe

I think that just reducing the stamina drain from running would make things a lot better.

There are potions for that. Helps while climbing in a golem, or running far distances...

I like it more that way, it would become too easy with endless fast travel and running... Maybe not easy, but less adventurelike...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This. Allowing infinite stamina on the road, outside of combat, would likely alleviate alot of problems.

Keep yourself the lightest weight and you can run a long distance... I find the stamina system pretty awesome. I actually think the endowment that lets you carry more (doubles your capacity to stay very light) offset any annoyance of stamina management during travel.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
How do I get past the mountain waycastle?

Near the beginning?

Go back to the encampment and talk to Mercedes. When she asks you if you want to rest, say yes.

I actually kinda feel like that part is a bit poorly designed. I wandered around for an hour or two doing random stuff trying to figure out how to proceed before I decided to say yes to her offer for no real reason, and boom, the game continued. :lol

Keep yourself the lightest weight and you can run a long distance... I find the stamina system pretty awesome. I actually think the endowment that lets you carry more (doubles your capacity to stay very light) offset any annoyance of stamina management during travel.

Oh, I know. I'm almost always very light, with close to 1800 stamina at level 40ish. Still seems to drain too fast. ;)

Man, nothing compares to a maxed out Ranger. I tried the Assassin vocation for a couple of hours, but even at rank 6 I felt much less capable than I used to be as a Ranger.

Spat_triate

Loving the game, but there are so many aspects that confuse me. Case in point: the UI. It needed to have a lot more documentation on things like the status screen. eg. wtf do the numbers in brackets next to some of my stats mean?

Man, nothing compares to a maxed out Ranger. I tried the Assassin vocations for a couple of ours, but even at rank 6 I felt much less capable than I used to be as a Ranger.
Meh. I tried out the ranger after reaching rank 6 on sorc and found that the damage was super low. I would have to riddle the enemy with a ton of arrows just to get noticed. I was using the regular reinforced longbow so maybe that had something to do with it.

Grisby

Man, I love having that big ass bow strapped to my back as a ranger. Also, you get a sweet kill cam when performing the finishing blow (which I've never had before).

Alucrid

Banned
Loving the game, but there are so many aspects that confuse me. Case in point: the UI. It needed to have a lot more documentation on things like the status screen. eg. wtf do the numbers in brackets next to some of my stats mean?

Meh. I tried out the ranger after reaching rank 6 on sorc and found that the damage was super low. I would have to riddle the enemy with a ton of arrows just to get noticed. I was using the regular reinforced longbow so maybe that had something to do with it.

If you use the ability that fires ten arrows you rip through enemies. I can take out half a bar of a cyclops with one use of that.

mujun

The journey is part of the adventure, though. There's a lot of awesome experiences I would have missed out on had I been able to just jump from one rift stone to the other.

What, like the same random encounters over and over?

I like this game but I feel like I've got to make a lot of concessions to enjoy it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Right, so supremely stupid question. You do all you "leveling" at the inn, right? That pretty flash of light is just showing that you gained a level, yeah? There is nothing to really do at that moment? No stats to tweak, points to distribute, etc?

Alucrid

Banned
Right, so supremely stupid question. You do all you "leveling" at the inn, right? That pretty flash of light is just showing that you gained a level, yeah? There is nothing to really do at that moment? No stats to tweak, points to distribute, etc?

Yeah, the only real 'leveling' that you do is buying and equipping new skills.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I'm currently a sorcerer and I managed to take a Fire Drake down - it was the most gratifying feeling. Inadvertently discovered a really effective way of taking the bastard down too so that the next time I see it, I won't be shitting my pants anymore ... well maybe there might be a trickle.

ironcreed

Banned
I tell you what, looking at the map you really would not think the game world was this damn big. The lighting and natural, earthy look make it absolutely gorgeous to me as well. I love the environments in this game. Especially Witchwood, Soul Flayer Canyon and Barta Crags. Beautiful areas and are fun as hell to roam around in at night. The game just has it's own look and unique vibe that totally resonates with me.

1stStrike

Banned
I think that just reducing the stamina drain from running would make things a lot better.

Yar. There's traits (whatever they're called) that you can equip from the assassin vocation that greatly reduces your stamina usage, and there's also one that gives you more stamina and improve your regen rate at night. Combine these and you can run a pretty damn long time when traveling at night.

Also, I was frustrated with the run times for a while, but now that I've leveled up to over 40 and have a lot of stamina and improved regen rate it's really quite fine. I think some people just need to develop a bit of patience, as half the fun of this game is fearing when darkness is going to fall, or steamrolling into the middle of two cyclops and a shit ton of goblins with no stamina left because you've been sprinting like a mad man, and so on. :)

I'm off to Blue Moon Tower now to have a chat with Mr. Griffon.

ironcreed

Banned
Man, I love having that big ass bow strapped to my back as a ranger. Also, you get a sweet kill cam when performing the finishing blow (which I've never had before).

I see Ranger Pawns walking around and it indeed does look badass with a huge bow strapped across their backs. I am going to have to try Ranger out for awhile beings I love using bows so damn much. God, all the vocations in this game are so incredibly varied and awesome in their own way. Talk about replay value.

Is there any way for anyone but magic archers to grab on to the apex of the ~ post game enemy
Ur-Dragons wings?
I can't figure out how to climb up there and my arrows do shit all.

mujun

Yar. There's traits (whatever they're called) that you can equip from the assassin vocation that greatly reduces your stamina usage, and there's also one that gives you more stamina and improve your regen rate at night. Combine these and you can run a pretty damn long time when traveling at night.

Also, I was frustrated with the run times for a while, but now that I've leveled up to over 40 and have a lot of stamina and improved regen rate it's really quite fine. I think some people just need to develop a bit of patience, as half the fun of this game is fearing when darkness is going to fall, or steamrolling into the middle of two cyclops and a shit ton of goblins with no stamina left because you've been sprinting like a mad man, and so on. :)

I've got patience, it only goes one way though :)

I really don't like making my way back from a long quest, way there isn't a problem.

I can't review this game. I absolutely refuse to. It would look like an advertisement, because nothing but praise would be showered upon Dragon's Dogma.

Instead, I'm doing a run of articles about DD. At least those can seem a little less "paid off".

Alucrid

Banned

I think you get the running one from Ranger too but I it looks like I need to invest in Assassin to get the regen one.

I can't review this game. I absolutely refuse to. It would look like an advertisement, because nothing but praise would be showered upon Dragon's Dogma.

Instead, I'm doing a run of articles about DD. At least those can seem a little less "paid off".

lol, I know what you mean. I feel like a corporate shill sometimes with all the praise I give it.

ironcreed

Banned

I have been playing Assassin, but switched back to Strider to get double jump, dodge roll and the stamina augments. Makes a tremendous difference when you get:

Dexterity- Enables you to clamber up cliffs and other terrain more quickly
Endurance- Increases maximum stamina by 100
Grit- Halves the recovery time when you run out of stamina
Arm Strength- Halves the stamina consumed when you cling to objects or climb
Leg Strength- Renders you one rank lighter for purposes of moving

Apeboy

I like getting a knock back shot on a mob near the edge off a cliff. Cya, buh bye.

1stStrike

Banned
I think you get the running one from Ranger too but I it looks like I need to invest in Assassin to get the regen one.

Magic Archer also has one that reduces stamina use (a bit redundant eh?) but while the one on Magic Archer is reduces stamina usage, the one other one (I really forget if it's strider or assassin) reduces a great amount of stamina usage. That's the one you want (though I suppose you could stack them too).

I have been playing Assassin, but switched back to Strider to get double jump, dodge roll and the stamina augments. Makes a tremendous difference when you get:

Dexterity- Enables you to clamber up cliffs and other terrain more quickly
Endurance- Increases maximum stamina by 100
Grit- Halves the recovery time when you run out of stamina
Arm Strength- Halves the stamina consumed when you cling to objects or climb
Leg Strength- Renders you one rank lighter for purposes of moving

Yeah, I actually have most of those equipped. The leg strength one, especially, is a huge benefit. Allows me to carry more stuff and still run around without penalties. :)

Conversely there's a lot more I could have done by now if I didn't have to slog all the back and forth between places. The thing about having fast travel is that it suits the needs for all players. If you don't want to use it, don't. Choice is better than no choice in this case.

Oni Jazar

Anyone have some starting tips? I'm a strider and have arrived in Gran Soren. I like a good challenge but there's this giant/troll whatever that requires too many hits to take down. Should I just call in as many pawns as I can?

Effect

Was wondering about that. If you have to travel everywhere on foot are there at least random events that take place to make it interesting or just small patches of enemies always around with the odd large beast showing up?

There was a reason why quick travel was added in Elder Scroll series, kept in the new Fallout games and new games like Xenoblade and why players in JRPGs look forward to getting the airship. Forced land travel has to be made worthwhile. Otherwise it's just random battles just presented differently.

Grisby

This game needs more exposure. I hope it does well considering Diablo was released a week before it. I need more people to 1 star my pawn... :(
I see Ranger Pawns walking around and it indeed does look badass with a huge bow strapped across their backs. I am going to have to try Ranger out for awhile beings I love using bows so damn much. God, all the vocations in this game are so incredibly varied and awesome in their own way. Talk about replay value.
Yeah, the game does a great job of showing off the other skills via support pawns. I roll with two mages and I see all kinds of crazy ass spells that I'd like to try. Problem so far with that big bow though is I found I'm a lot slower then when I was a strider. For one skill I can't even move.

Mylene

new pics from couple days ago, game is still blowing me away after 40 hours lol.

puve0.jpg

BBG2Q.jpg

jM00m.jpg

Hklma.jpg

Schwabe

regarding quicktravel... there is a achievement for 10 million Gold. if you can get so much money in the game (i am at 459k now, lvl 38 after some enhancing done) and ferrystones cost 10-30k, depending where you buy it. running from gran soren to cassardis though is a matter of 5min i guess... so i don't really see the problem.

btw. the ferrystone outside the pawn guild at the port-chrystal circle respawns after a couple of days...

btw. does anyone know the exact time one ingame day is? too lazy to look at my watch and keep forgetting :)

Top Bottom