• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

I think I just screwed myself over being so inquisitive, I went through a door and the final battle quest started before I was able to go to the Dragon Forged and now that quest is gone. And the one time the auto save works is when this happens, I hope capcom had the brains to put in a point of no return cause if they didn't I'm gonna be pissed.
LLShC.gif

Schwabe

Didn't have ballista. Was stuck with Magick Archer. So, out come the daggers, time to climb me a golem.

I need to find that cloak!

the golem in this bandit valley? there are at least two ballista on the hills. use them. i killed the golem in no time :)

Anteater

This dragon forge shit is bullshit man, I've killed this drake like 5 times and for some reason my pawns gets stupider everytime so he's getting harder and harder to kill, but I never got any dragon forge equipment when I kill it!

Arcteryx

I think I just screwed myself over being so inquisitive, I went through a door and the final battle quest started before I was able to go to the Dragon Forged and now that quest is gone. And the one time the auto save works is when this happens, I hope capcom had the brains to put in a point of no return cause if they didn't I'm gonna be pissed.
LLShC.gif

hhahaahha exact same thing happened to me. Sucks for those of us who are natural explorers.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So basically, less people will like this game, so its better? That's the sum of your arguement? Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Dragon's Dogma, but I've put literally hundreds of hours, if not thousands, across all of the Elder Scroll's titles. That doesn't happen with a bad or inferior game.

I can promise you, no matter how good Dragon's Dogma is, it's not going to get the same mileage. It lacks the sense of exploration that Elder Scrolls has. Sure, you can find all sorts of neat, empty areas, but that's it. Nothing else to see here. Move on. The only area you can really claim Dragon's Dogma is better in, is combat. Everything else is inferior.

What "mechanics" does Dragon's Dogma even have that an Elder Scroll's title doesn't, besides the combat engine? Uh, climbing? That's about it?

I only have experience with Oblivoin and Skyrim, but Oblivion had scaled everything which killed a lot of the game for me. Skyrim was a lot better in certain respects but as I got really far in the scaling stuff cropped up a lot again. The actual dungeons were all great looking and interesting to me, so I did enjoy the exploration a lot, but it's hardly poor in DD. There are very few 'empty' areas from what I can see, they have chests hidden all over the place. A trail I've traveled 10 times over can still have a small chunk sticking out on the side of a cliff I can fall down on, possibly leading to a dungeon/cave that contains even more good stuff. This is also apparent in dungeons, where I was finding all kinds of stuff in the catacombs and the watergod altar via double jump and levitate only, and it contained a lot of stuff that was either good for me or my pawn, when the majority of the stuff I find in ES is junk to sell or hoard forever.

I don't think they're very comparable in general, but DD nails exploration and combat to me.

joe2187

Banned
Did you find her quickly at
hide an seek?

You pretty much have to do all 3 things REALLY well w/o her talking to you(other than to move on to the next part of the quest)

Then I fucked myself with that, I looked all over town for an hour and couldn't find the bitch, saved at the Inn and searched every nook and cranny of the pawn guild because the pawns kept telling me she was at the Guild (THANKS PAWNS!)

Arcteryx

Then I fucked myself with that, I looked all over town for an hour and couldn't find the bitch, saved at the Inn and searched every nook and cranny of the pawn guild because the pawns kept telling me she was at the Guild (THANKS PAWNS!)

She only goes to two spots:
the inn and the beer store right across the market

Man, these pawns are such idiotic fucks when dealing with stuff like the Ur-Dragon. They just stand in the fire constantly and I have to sprint around reviving instead of fighting.

They're basically the best thing about this game...and also the worst.

Yuterald

So basically, less people will like this game, so its better? That's the sum of your arguement? Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Dragon's Dogma, but I've put literally hundreds of hours, if not thousands, across all of the Elder Scroll's titles. That doesn't happen with a bad or inferior game.

I can promise you, no matter how good Dragon's Dogma is, it's not going to get the same mileage. It lacks the sense of exploration that Elder Scrolls has. Sure, you can find all sorts of neat, empty areas, but that's it. Nothing else to see here. Move on. The only area you can really claim Dragon's Dogma is better in, is combat. Everything else is inferior.

What "mechanics" does Dragon's Dogma even have that an Elder Scroll's title doesn't, besides the combat engine? Uh, climbing? That's about it?

I can't stand Elder Scrolls games yet I'm enjoying Dragon's Dogma, a lot. I've tried out most of the Elder Scrolls games and I don't understand why so many people like (prefer) those games. I remember in Oblivion as soon as I got out of the sewers there was like NOTHING to fight, other than MAYBE a mud crab or two near the shorelines. BORING. As soon as I walked out of the first village in Dragon's Dogma there were packs of goblins and wolves, you know, stuff to actually fight and engage with. There always seems to be troops of enemies within meters of each other so you're never wandering around aimlessly looking for something to fight. This is a BIG deal to me, especially with "open world" games.

Mechanically, don't even get me started on Elder Scrolls games. My brother and a friend of ours thoroughly stripped those games down statistically and how the leveling worked. What they related to me about Oblivion sounded terrible. It is an enemy scaling, character progression nightmare. I'm sure I don't have to get into the details here either. If you've played enough of that game as you have claimed I'm sure you've convinced yourself that it's actually "good" for whatever insane, mental gymnastic reason. Oblivion, to me, is nothing more than a simulation with light, unrewarding combat.

I really like Dragon's Dogma because it actually HAS good combat unlike every Bethesda dumpster title I've attempted to play. I think a BIG reason for this is because it's by a Japanese team, a team that is known for making good action games. The fact that enemies do not scale in DD is enough for me, to be perfectly honest and blunt. Combat and skill progression is rewarding and the game is still challenging because of its harsh night time cycle and lack of fast travel, something that Oblivion or any other Elder Scrolls game I've tried FAILED to capture. Seriously, you can fast travel anywhere at any time in Oblivion, correct? What the fuck kind of sense of adventure is that? What's the point of play that game? I'll NEVER understand the praise those games receive. It almost makes me livid thinking about them, lol!

I didn't get that out of his post at all, and I don't really agree that ES games since Morrowind do exploration well at all. I loved Skyrim for what it was, but there were times when I realized the game was so shallow I could be getting the same enjoyment from a 3rd party model viewer. Between the level scaling and pinball machine combat, looking at the scenery became the only thing pulling me back in.

DD is so different that I barely see the point of comparison, but honestly there's few individual qualities Skyrim does better. Both have tons of items and horrible UIs, one has vastly superior graphics, the other vastly superior combat, both are bogged down with performance issues, bugs, and uninspired collection quests. One is more fun to visit, one is more fun to play.

Kard8p3

So.. two questions..

How do I get the quest Idol Worship(I think that's what it's called? And how do I get the silver idol? I have the bronze and gold.

Anteater

I'm not a huge fan of elderscrolls, but I've played Skyrim for hundreds of hours, it really isn't about combat and fighting enemies, there are a lot of things with no balance whatsoever, but they crafted a pretty capable world for players to travel and explore.

If you've played games with simplistic combat you'll know what I mean, like with ICO, or Minecraft, combat isn't really deep or anything but it's all about exploring. For skyrim you almost never run out of things to do and receiving quests and doing them are really enjoyable and there are always some kind of story to go with it.

Just wanted to say again that this game is the shit and thanks to y'all for getting me to buy it.

This is Dark Souls in a true Open World. Ok, it's not as ridiculously hard, but it is freaking hard. And it's scary. Day turning to night is one of the best and creepiest and richest feelings I've ever felt playing a video game.

This is not Skyrim, and this is not Dragon Age. You can see the influence of Demon's/Dark Souls everywhere. From the sparse storyline, to the way sound is used, to the weighty combat animations, to the unforgiving difficulty out of nowhere. It is more Demon's Souls than Dark Souls, because you can stock up on unlimited healing items to make it easier. But this is definitely the future of RPG's. Stop holding our hands all the time! No recovering health bars!

Frillen

Pawn guild question: Doing the "Seek further leads" quest. Asked the guy in the field and the forger, but now there's no questpoint on the map and I can't seem to find anyone who knows something regarding the quest.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just wanted to say again that this game is the shit and thanks to y'all for getting me to buy it.

This is Dark Souls in a true Open World. Ok, it's not as ridiculously hard, but it is freaking hard. And it's scary. Day turning to night is one of the best and creepiest and richest feelings I've ever felt playing a video game.

This is not Skyrim, and this is not Dragon Age. You can see the influence of Demon's/Dark Souls everywhere. From the sparse storyline, to the way sound is used, to the weighty combat animations, to the unforgiving difficulty out of nowhere. It is more Demon's Souls than Dark Souls, because you can stock up on unlimited healing items to make it easier. But this is definitely the future of RPG's. Stop holding our hands all the time! No recovering health bars!

Have definitely gotten shades of Dark Souls and I am still soooo early in the game (just made it to the encampment and am about to design my main pawn)--the minimalist use of sound/music, the feeling of an oppressive world (night time is just incredible), and the sense of adventure where you just don't know what's coming. Really good stuff. I still haven't come close to realizing exactly what options are available to me but I've turned off the tutorial tips altogether anyway. Tech issues aside, Capcom has really hit it out the park imo.

Quick question: there's a chance later to re-edit your character right? I want to make my female Strider a little less muscular and busty.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
oy, the charge up this castle, now with breakable floors. The 1 pawn I couldn't afford to fall through, has just done that... :/ No Healing from here on out...

Arcteryx

Yes. I only did it once to check and you buy it with rift crystals. I don't know if you can re-purchase it again.

It's one use. You have the chance to buy another
in post-game, pre-going back to the city, so make sure you pick it up then on the way
, which is 10000, but infinite usage.

Schwabe

when i talk to the innkeeper at gran soren, there is a kind of sound... what's the meaning of this? O,o

edit: nice shots joe!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My pawn is getting started as a ranger after maxing out mage/sorc/fighter... I'm going to switch my main to strider... run a strider/ranger combo for a bit w/ one lvl 15 healer and see how I fare.

I think it's going to be hard but fun.

Wow, I just met Drake for the first time, completely not prepared, with low level party, weak and tired but I thought I will hold my own and won't give up and so I did. I fought him for over an hour during the day, the whole freaking night,another day and night and I was really doing my best to kill that bitch and survive and when I had him down to last bar of health I was so excited, I thought I had him already but boy, was I wrong. The sun was rising, the morning was beautiful, everything was going well until fucking Cyclops and horde of those black goblins (or maybe orcs) showed up and decided to join us. So yeah, I got my ass handled but I'll have my revenge soon, very soon.

Really love this freaking game :)

1stStrike

Banned
Well, I finally found the snakeskin purse at last. Completely just stopped trying to do the quest and found it by accident from some Saurians in the Soulflayer dungeon (didn't drop my first time in there). I also changed over to ranger and so far it's pretty standard bow and arrow stuff. Does lots of damage, but hopefully the skills get more unique later on as right now it's actually not as interesting as other classes. I want a bit of flash, not just DPS.

Roubjon

So I never carry health items around ever. I always just put everything I've ever gathered into storage and haven't even bothered to combine them either. Should I be doing this? Are you guys carrying around healing items, or do you just have your pawn heal you?

Anteater

So I never carry health items around ever. I always just put everything I've ever gathered into storage and haven't even bothered to combine them either. Should I be doing this? Are you guys carrying around healing items, or do you just have your pawn heal you?

Yeah, they're good for topping your hp back to maximum again so you don't get one shotted by huge damage bosses, and some health items could heal the entire party, they are pretty good and doesn't take much inventory

ironcreed

Banned

Hell yes. Have you not noticed that you lose HP that magic can't heal? Only healing items can do that.

deim0s

You are nuts for doing this. Your mage can't heal you 24/7.

Arcteryx

I'm honestly considering changing my pawn from healer/support to something else. They're helpful at lower levels, but once you get > 50, they don't help much at all. Takes too long to cast heals/support and they get one shotted often when doing it. Much better to just spend money on curatives IMO.

The worst offender is the healing spell, which when upgraded takes a LONG time to cast; you can get the same heal amount, but faster with the lower level spell(granted, you can't run out of the spell area though).

Dresden

I'm honestly considering changing my pawn from healer/support to something else. They're helpful at lower levels, but once you get > 50, they don't help much at all. Takes too long to cast heals/support and they get one shotted often when doing it. Much better to just spend money on curatives IMO.

The worst offender is the healing spell, which when upgraded takes a LONG time to cast; you can get the same heal amount, but faster with the lower level spell(granted, you can't run out of the spell area though).

I'm thinking about just taking the mystic knight augment that boosts health restored upon reviving a pawn, and just letting them get K.O'd to aid them in lieu of a dedicated healer.

Apeboy

I'm thinking about just taking the mystic knight augment that boosts health restored upon reviving a pawn, and just letting them get K.O'd to aid them in lieu of a dedicated healer.

I just combine a bunch of the perfume or incenses which grant health to entire party.

LLShC.gif

Did the same thing. It also locks you out of the Blighted Manse quest. That's my only major complaint about this game: it's so easy to miss out on huge swathes of content, and there's no good reason for it to be that way. (Apart from some minor story stuff, e.g. Lord Julien isn't in the castle anymore, so you can't do a mission that requires his assistance.) This one was just annoying, though. Why would I trigger a quest by exploring? Just lock the door until I've chosen to take on the final battle.

Roubjon

So what are the best healing items? I found that spring where you can fill up flasks with water that heals you, but I never bothered to actually try out how much health it recovers.

I honestly don't know why I never bothered with them. I mean, if I was wandering around and saw a troll up ahead, I'd look for some grapes or something, but that's about it.

Grisby

Did the same thing. It also locks you out of the Blighted Manse quest. That's my only major complaint about this game: it's so easy to miss out on huge swathes of content, and there's no good reason for it to be that way. (Apart from some minor story stuff, e.g. Lord Julien isn't in the castle anymore, so you can't do a mission that requires his assistance.) This one was just annoying, though. Why would I trigger a quest by exploring? Just lock the door until I've chosen to take on the final battle.
What should I be looking out for before instigating the final battle. Does the game warn you at all?

If you're getting one shotted when casting magic, that meant you either allowed the Pawn to spend the majority of its time as a Mage/Sorcerer class, neglecting physical defense from the other "tank" classes during leveling. Its best to either try to start amending the damage, by leveling as a Warrior/Fighter, use defense augs, or just give your pawn attack and debilitating spells since its the very definition of glass cannon now.

mujun

Damn, I'm glad I don't play and rate games simply based on their land of origin. Dark Souls is great. Skyrim is great. Fallout 3 is the best game I've played this entire generation. The Mass Effect series is outstanding. Amalur was OK at best. Nier was complete shit. Dragon's Dogma is flawed but brilliant in many regards. Saying Japan doesn't make good games anymore is as stupid as saying all the best RPGs are coming from Japan and that Skyrim is a good product but not a good game. It's both. The experience I had with Skyrim is infinitely different than the one I'm having with DD. Better in some ways, worse in others. It's sad that there's this weird division some people feel they need to create to denigrate one batch of games while elevating another.

But more on topic, has anyone figured out the math on what generates the number of rift crystals we get upon the return of our pawn? I logged in this morning and my tank brought back over 50,000.

It's kind of comical that people are trying to make objective arguments as to why Japanese RPGs are better than Western ones while at the same time totally admitting that Japanese games suit their tastes more. That brings about some crazy arguments like "the exploration in Skyrim is crap but great in DD!"

Love or hate Skyrim, I don't think this game compares.

Heh, so your pawns learn your mannerisms as well, eh? My friends told me that they love my mage because she's awesome in battle, but she's annoying outside of battle because she destroys every breakable object she sees, which she must have gotten from me. lol

Oh, and fuck YouTube: http://bit.ly/JnYNb0

Arcteryx

What what what? That's actually an augment? Hmmm, I need to get that pronto.

If you're getting one shotted when casting magic, that meant you either allowed the Pawn to spend the majority of its time as a Mage/Sorcerer class, neglecting physical defense from the other "tank" classes during leveling. Its best to either try to start amending the damage, by leveling as a Warrior/Fighter, use defense augs, or just give your pawn attack and debilitating spells since its the very definition of glass cannon now.

Well, I mean its against stuff like the Ur-Dragon/other big baddies. I think it's more a case of bad AI than it is actually being super weak. But yea, I need to switch her over to something else for a little bit and get an augment or two to buff up her defense.

1stStrike

Banned
Hmm, I think I've pretty much explored just about everything I can at this point. There's chunks of the map which are still "fogged over", but a lot of them you just simply can't get to or there's no path to. For example, the ocean. That's a giant section that you can't go into. A lot o mountains too.

The game is open world, but there's definitely set paths and such. You can't just climb up a mountain like you can in skyrim or something if there's no path to get you to the top.

I have this quest where I'm supposed to go on an expedition (haven't accepted it yet) and don't know what it is. I feel like I'm probably close to the end-game though. I also just found the Blighted Manse after some exploring, but don't have that quest yet (and not sure how to get it/when I can get it).

Top Bottom