• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

Didn't really understand the zero novella.

Assuming I wont get spoiled if I read them all, am I correct? Did they release before the game?

They add quite a bit to the characters in the game, whom in my opinion would seem pretty flat personality-wise if I didn't read the novella beforehand. Just be sure to avoid the last three chapters as has been stated in this thread if you're planning on reading the short stories while playing.

Also I assume that the zero novella
was just supposed to reveal how fucked up her life has been until the game, hence her personality, and at least give her some motivation on why she wants to destroy the world.

Holykael1

Banned
Didn't really understand the zero novella.

Assuming I wont get spoiled if I read them all, am I correct? Did they release before the game?

Yeah the health bars are kinda annoying. I gotta say though, the combo counter is pretty stylish.
Novella Zero chapter
She is born into a family of misery, she is sold by her mother to a whore house. She is forced to prostitute, she tries to run away with a friend, the friend betrays her, she swears to never trust anyone again, she murders everyone in the brothel so that there is no chance for her to fail again...etc

What specific part didn't you understand?

Novella Zero chapter
She is born into a family of misery, she is sold by her mother to a whore house. She is forced to prostitute, she tries to run away with a friend, the friend betrays her, she swears to never trust anyone again, she murders everyone in the brothel so that there is no chance for her to fail again...etc

What specific part didn't you understand?
ill just spoiler tag everything

The flower analogies.(I guess just based on her eye color)

And The ending, specifically staring into the flower, like...am I supposed to take that literally?
It was still a good read though.

Dunan

How's the English translation for this game? As amazing as Nier's was?

I had this pre-ordered through Play-Asia and then they said they were out of stock. Was going to order again, but I'm not sure if I'll get the DLC this time, and by now the Japanese version can be had for about $25 (and I can jsut walk up and buy that, rather than waiting for an overseas order).

But if the English is worth waiting for, I'll go with that version.

How's the English translation for this game? As amazing as Nier's was?

I had this pre-ordered through Play-Asia and then they said they were out of stock. Was going to order again, but I'm not sure if I'll get the DLC this time, and by now the Japanese version can be had for about $25 (and I can jsut walk up and buy that, rather than waiting for an overseas order).

But if the English is worth waiting for, I'll go with that version.

It's reportedly (confirmed I believe) translated by some/all of the same people. I'm only up to Chapter 2 but I can confirm it's very well done; lot's of great writing, even the witty banter between soldiers as you slice them thorough them is well done.

The dub isn't half-bad, either.

I am so fucking happy right now as I finally got my copy in the mail. I was worried I wouldn't get it because of not getting the address redirecting done in time, but my old residence must have remembered and got it sent to me anyway.

Today's gonna be a good afternoon.

Stuart444

The EU version was updated before release? Then why does my game information say 1.00

it2NY7hoIbbPB.png

Dunan

It's reportedly (confirmed I believe) translated by some/all of the same people. I'm only up to Chapter 2 but I can confirm it's very well done; lot's of great writing, even the witty banter between soldiers as you slice them thorough them is well done.

Makes me want to go for English. If Jeremy Blaustein, who worked on Nier, was at the translator's desk, it'll definitely be good.

The EU version was updated before release? Then why does my game information say 1.00
Most customer supports don't really have an idea what they are saying or have that much information tbh. I guess I'll play an ending with Mitsuru/Anna the psychotic and then shall see if a patch is put out.

F downloading 25GB again.

Jisgsaw

How does it compare to Nier?
Kaine and Weiss were awesome.

Yeah, dub is pretty well done, although it doesn't appear the stereo mix is properly normalized. As Astarte said on the last page, there are instances of it going from whisper quiet to ear piercingly loud. Still, the writing and performances are fairly ace.

I am so fucking happy right now as I finally got my copy in the mail. I was worried I wouldn't get it because of not getting the address redirecting done in time, but my old residence must have remembered and got it sent to me anyway.

Today's gonna be a good afternoon.

Awesome that you got it. I've kinda been following your tale of woe throughout the threads. Glad you got the good ending. ;)

jorgeton

The dub is awesome. They did an excellent job with the writing and voice acting. I love Mikhael and Zero's interactions.

I also haven't had any weird sound mixing issues. The levels are all fine on my 5.1 system.

Find myself using weapon cancels by changing on high recovery attacks instead of using guard cancel/dash or jump. Keeps the combo going and even works midair if you start with a strong attack!

For example at the end of twisted hungers string (I think 5 hits) just cancel into twisted hungers weapon change and bust out some infinites(although enemies die so fast that it only works on mini bosses)

Thunder lord is also pretty good. Strong midair into weapon cancel and continue with a normal string kills pretty much everything.

And twisted hunger strong into enemy shields will leave you vulnerable so cancel into twisted hunger weapon change works great (huge hitbox)

StuBurns

Banned
So, this game is pretty shambolic so far.

Not played much but it really doesn't seem to have much in the way of redeeming qualities, maybe the story will deliver, but playing it, and looking at it, are both fairly unpleasant.

clear31

The Nier costume pack pre order bonus dlc is not working for me. It appears but won't let me download it from the store. Anyone else having this issue??

edit:

tried it again and it just worked. Weird

oni_saru

Just noticed they have the Manah costume up on psn.

Can't unlock that in the game right?

Also anyone buy the remix bgm songs? How are they?

Gotta say, I was not expecting there to be so much talking during missions in this game. Like I knew there was all the banter between Zero and Mikhail, but all the voices from enemy soldiers having conversations with each other (which don't get the subtitle treatment). So weird in comparison to Drakengard 1, where one person just says a line and then nothing for a while. Here, no one shuts up.

Not that I'm complaining much, a lot of the dialog is pretty good.

Holykael1

Banned
ill just spoiler tag everything

The flower analogies.(I guess just based on her eye color)

And The ending, specifically staring into the flower, like...am I supposed to take that literally?
It was still a good read though.

I think it means that she literally shoved the flower up her eye or something along those lines. And yeah the analogies are referring to her eye colour

MilkBeard

Has anyone been able to access the JP voices? I downloaded it, and it shows up in my game data utility but there's no way to access it in the menus while in the game itself. It just automatically uses English. I have a physical copy of the game, and it's a US version.

Just tried re-downloading the voice DLC and reinstalled it and nope, it's not an install problem. Option is simply not there to enable it - only thing showing up under the Costumes / Music menu is an option that pops up the DLC page on the PSN store. Disappointing, I would have just imported a US physical copy if it weren't for the JP voice preorder incentive.

It's not showing up for me either and I have a US copy.

MilkBeard

Despite the technical issues (tons of screen tearing, bad sound quality for voice tracks) I'm quite enjoying the game. The music is fantastic, and the combat is pretty fun. There's also something interesting about the character designs. I feel like this game is right up my alley. I love how the game has this adult tone while still being comical as well.

"Don't roll around in the fucking mud!" I was laughing pretty hard right there.

Hey S-E Eu FU will we redownload 25 GB:

And atomicstrawberry has shown it doesn't work.

I only tried re-downloading the DLC, not the whole game. But I'm 35gb in the hole as a result and doing that again would put me at 70. While I am somewhat of a rarity in Australia with a large monthly data allocation and high speeds so it's certainly something I could do, I'm not about to go trying that move without some guarantee it'll work. And assurances of "you're just holding it wrong" don't fill me with confidence.

I only tried re-downloading the DLC, not the whole game. But I'm 35gb in the hole as a result and doing that again would put me at 70. While I am somewhat of a rarity in Australia with a large monthly data allocation and high speeds so it's certainly something I could do, I'm not about to go trying that move without some guarantee it'll work. And assurances of "you're just holding it wrong" don't fill me with confidence.

I know that, just saying that they want us to redownload the game when they should really make like >5MB patch or something. I mean it's basically a huge FU to European fans with data limits, imagine the uproar if NA folks had to do the same. I'm in a similar boat to you, basically don't trust their statement to redownload, I can but I won't until it's properly confirmed.

Astarte

I shotgunned my way to
ending D
and this has been a really..dumb ride. Not like enjoyable dumb, but just dumb. I heard the final fight was for masochists though, let's go!

Has anyone been able to access the JP voices? I downloaded it, and it shows up in my game data utility but there's no way to access it in the menus while in the game itself. It just automatically uses English. I have a physical copy of the game, and it's a US version.

It's not showing up for me either and I have a US copy.

the Japanese voice option is located in the change outfits/ music menu.

cerulily

Just started it as it took a few extra days for me CE box to arrive, but... This game reminds me so much of a ps2 game, and i mean that in the most endearing sentiment. It is just blindly straightforward and not over-produced. You can tell Square Enix basically only gave them the change they found in their lounge couches to make it, and it seems like 50% of that went to music and voice cast.

This game is a comedy. A bizarre, dark as hell comedy. I never expected to find myself laughing as much as I have at the weird banter between Zero and company.

Yoko Taro was pretty much right when he said this game was neither NieR nor Drakengard. And yet it still retains that spirit of a fucked up world and characters, with unpolished gameplay surrounding it.

Also the boss music is so weird and almost out of place compared to everything else in the game, yet those tracks are incredible. It's not NieR quality, but it sure is good in its own right.

Astarte

I shotgunned my way to
ending D
and this has been a really..dumb ride. Not like enjoyable dumb, but just dumb. I heard the final fight was for masochists though, let's go!

The people were right. Fuck that final part with a rake, I had a better time doing the final part of Drakengard.

EDIT: Okay nevermind I was just bad.
Though that final note when the screen goes black ;_;
You know what, I change my mind about the game. Although it really isn't anything I wanted in a Drakengard 3 (hoo boy did it get ANIME at parts), I enjoyed the journey a bit. The combat was hilariously simplistic once you learned about stunlocking with spears and flying across the ground with gauntlets (dash, jump, dash, triangle [at least with S gauntlets. I never used the gauntlets much, just for travel utility]) but it was a giant step up from the previous games. 8/10, would have preferred a regular version to what I got :y

Yuterald

Halfway through Chapter 2 now and LOVING it. I will say that a good portion of the dialogue/script is MEGA cringe. Dub is great, but writing itself is really pushing it sometimes. Favorite moments in the game so far are the campfire scenes with the fucking incredible tracks they use.

Well I installed and played the game first before the Japanese Voice DLC was finished downloading and I can confirm there is no switch anywhere so the fix doesn't seem to work :/ I have a EU copy too, hopefully they fix this fast. What I find worrying, should the DLC be listed as installed somewhere? I don't see it under Game Data Utility or anywhere.

Got my copy today.

I played up through the first 4 Accord quests and stopped right before what I believe is the boss fight with Five.

It's pretty much everything I wanted from a new Yoko Taro game. The format is a little different, from previous entries, it's not the same game structure as before, but the concepts are all present in a new form. It's flawed as all get out, but that's what I came for.

I'm a big fan of Nier and was somewhat disappointed to not see a physical copy here in Europe... Upon watching some gameplay on Youtube, gameplay and tech seem to be even worse than Nier? Wow. Story and characters are pretty awesome though. Not a fan of Mikail's voice but I haven't heard the Japanese version.

I'm a big fan of Nier and was somewhat disappointed to not see a physical copy here in Europe... Upon watching some gameplay on Youtube, gameplay and tech seem to be even worse than Nier? Wow. Story and characters are pretty awesome though. Not a fan of Mikail's voice but I haven't heard the Japanese version.

Yep, it's a wonderful mess.
Mikhail is a little kid voice in both versions.

Pretty much everything about it is worse than Nier. The level design, the framerate, the writing, the characters, the music, the controls, the camera, etc.

Yep, it's a wonderful mess.
Mikhail is a little kid voice in both versions.

Wonderful mess sounds about right. :)
Those dragon air battles, wtf

I think I recognize Mikhail's voice actor from Nier.

Pretty much everything about it is worse than Nier. The level design, the framerate, the writing, the characters, the music, the controls, the camera, etc.

I think I'll skip it then. :(

Top Bottom