• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxious

Sooo, if I buy the PS+ edition, I'll keep it when my PS+ runs out of time right? I know there was a lot of confusion regarding that.

jett

D-Member
Side note, I think this may be one of the nicest steelbooks I now own. Just gorgeous!

9wtELs.jpg

RpNLAB.jpg

That is really nice and impacting. Publishers really should take a chance with those sort of artistic covers for regular retail editions. I guess Paradise's cover was a once in a lifetime thing. :p

Burnout_Paradise_Boxart_2.jpg

Wow, the BMW M3 (? I think) handles like a dream, doing so much better in the performance class than I could manage with the Vanquish or Exige. I love the mph counter on it too, so cool.

And what are some general tips on drifting and just turning in general? From what I've gathered for turning, brake slightly before entering the corner, turn the wheel without accelerating, then as soon as you're straightened out accelerate as fast as you think you can without losing control. Is that the gist of it?

Away from my PS4. How are the servers looking today?
Not even connected, let alone able to race.

Also I feel like I can't even go back to get 3/3 on all of the rookie tracks because the GTI seems miles better than anything else, at the very least it outclasses it for the Volkswagen challenges.

Wow, the BMW M3 (? I think) handles like a dream, doing so much better in the performance class than I could manage with the Vanquish or Exige. I love the mph counter on it too, so cool.

And what are some general tips on drifting and just turning in general? From what I've gathered for turning, brake slightly before entering the corner, turn the wheel without accelerating, then as soon as you're straightened out accelerate as fast as you think you can without losing control. Is that the gist of it?
Yeah, do most of your braking before you enter the corner, then once you've hit the apex (the 'tip' of the corner) you can begin to build your speed up, once you're nice and straight you can put the foot to the floor.

So I got it last night in the UK, preload, all worked, unlocked at midnight. Couldn't connect until this afternoon though, currently connected and I made a club - can't get anyone in it though because no-one else is connected. This is the most annoyed I've ever been with an online failure because it's not Driveclub right now, it's just Drive, this and the weather already coming later just make me think they should have waited and released with the weather patch, surely a cock up of this magnitude came with a warning on their end. I can't even download my preorder bonuses.

The game itself though is fantastic, love the handling and it's very pretty, a few jaggies I'm sure will be resolved with patches but definitely one of the nicest looking games I've ever played.

Got the game on Wednesday and played for a few hours. Out of town with the wife and kids until late Sunday evening. Hope the servers get sorted by then. :) Fingers crossed.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Played one event last night. That's all I wanted to do, since the servers were still down. That said, the game is so classy. You can tell so much was put into the little details of the cars - how they look, sound, drive, etc. Environments too. I think this is my favorite cockpit view in any racer I've played.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
One frustrating thing is during a championship, you can't restart a round after the last race. So if you're chasing a lap time in the last race, you can easily get caught out and have to redo the whole championship. The first lap isn't usually a fast one because it is a standing start, and the second lap is too late to restart unless it is obvious you'll miss the time.

Konosuke

And what happened to Rapier? I haven't seen him in this thread since the game launched =\

He got banned in the review thread :\

One frustrating thing is during a championship, you can't restart a round after the last race. So if you're chasing a lap time in the last race, you can easily get caught out and have to redo the whole championship. The first lap isn't usually a fast one because it is a standing start, and the second lap is too late to restart unless it is obvious you'll miss the time.

Yep, this is very annoying.

Did they fix the network? I've logged on and got on early this morning and had a few races. Log on about 40 minutes ago and got on the network with ease again.

I also found a bug. I got a lap time star for beating 0:52, but after the event it didn't give me the star. I had a best time of 0:52.040. Therefore it seems like the in-game star triggers either just on the time with no decimal precision, or perhaps the first decimal place.

So yeah I had to do the whole thing again :p

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Some 'cutting' corner penalties are pretty stupidly placed to be fair. Plus "Vehicle collision" stuff when AI drivers rams you from behind and bye bye clean lap...

Upinsmoke

Most people can't get online, it's not gonna get fixed before the downtime on Monday is my bet. Almost a week of no online since release.

Shame, cos it's a really fun game.

DirtyLarry

Evo has been very good community wise, don't look at the facebook comments though yikes
Tell me about it, I tried to make a positive comment the other day, and even mention the fact that I could also not get online with Forza Horizon 2 the first 3 days after launch, which was completely the truth for myself, many of the online features of FH2 did not work for me initially (turns out it was an issue for those in the Preview program) and you would think I assaulted peoples mothers personally or some shit. It is insanity.

I started to defend myself, and say fine if you want, you can swap out FH2 with any number of games, but it was to no avail.

The funny thing is all I said is I was willing to get them some slack, but I was still disappointed overall, but people did not get that far.

Lesson learned for myself. I will never, ever EVER comment about anything video game related on Facebook ever again.

The only positive I can take out of it is I did get over 200+ likes, which shows me there are some people out there who think rationally as well, they are just smart enough not to comment.

Some 'cutting' corner penalties are pretty stupidly placed to be fair. Plus "Vehicle collision" stuff when AI drivers rams you from behind and bye bye clean lap...
Driven about 60% of the tracks and I'd say I only came across two corners that were quite easy to trigger the corner penalty and where you didn't really gain much of an advantage.

The corner penalty speed restriction also seems to vary. I'm wondering if therefore you trigger it not only by how much you cut, but perhaps also at what speed you cut.

As for vehicle collision - yep. Welcome to a racing game, never seen this done perfectly.

Upinsmoke

Right, just raced the Lotus evora s round Kinloch reverse. Holy fucking shit. The sense of speed, the way the car always wants to get away from you, completely on the edge. One of the most exhilarating experiences I've had since God knows when.

jett

D-Member
Driven about 60% of the tracks and I'd say I only came across two corners that were quite easy to trigger the corner penalty and where you didn't really gain much of an advantage.

The corner penalty speed restriction also seems to vary. I'm wondering if therefore you trigger it not only by how much you cut, but perhaps also at what speed you cut.

As for vehicle collision - yep. Welcome to a racing game, never seen this done perfectly.

Play Grid 2, the AI will slow down when coming up behind you so that it doesn't crash into you. G2 definitely has the least suicidal racing AI I've seen.

le-seb

Right, just raced the Lotus evora s round Kinloch reverse. Holy fucking shit. The sense of speed, the way the car always wants to get away from you, completely on the edge. One of the most exhilarating experiences I've had since God knows when.
I really really really loved this tour event, location and lighting are so good.
And I'm in love with this car, it's wild!

Nafai1123

Banned
Handling is beast on that thing
That said, the handling on the RUF is pure garbage

Really? I found the RUF quite easy and fun to drive. Light steering, manageable understeer with proper throttle input, strong stopping power for late braking, etc.

Now the Bentley on the other hand...

Really? I found the RUF quite easy and fun to drive. Light steering, manageable understeer with proper throttle input, strong stopping power for late braking, etc.

Now the Bentley on the other hand...

My first drive with the RUF was brutal. But once you get the handling down it really is a pleasure to whip around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom