• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualsense Controller Price Increased on Major Retailers ($5 to $10)

Shit like this is only gonna become more common with Sony as Xbox will slowly become more and more irrelevant in the hardware space.

Hope you are ready for that 700$ PS6Pro.

GIF by South Park
Eh, fuck em. I'm done with Sony after this generation. Shitty ass company that can't fix a simple stick drift. Never had this problem in previous gens.

King Dazzar

Let them laugh lol. They'll cry later as the lack of competition is always a bad thing. I own 2 PS5s and will be replacing them with 2 ps5 pros once they release but, it's clear as day to see what Sony is doing. I tried to support Xbox as well but sold my series x because Spencer and the whole microsoft crew are stupid.
The problem is they're all it. If I return to PC gaming I'm fully aware I'll have Nvidia taking the piss. There no escaping it, not even on PC.

Three

People who are bringing up arrogant Sony as a result of no xbox competition. You do realise how silly that is? A PS5 owner can't buy an xbox controller as an alternative, third party controllers are its competitors though. A PC user can buy an xbox controller, a Dualsense or any other controller and it has no effect on competition. This is greedy but it isn't a result of xbox failing. The controller market is unaffected by it.

Cyberpunkd

Somebody with a better memory than me... Were controllers always so expensive? I feel like controllers have really shot up in the last two gens.
In Europe it shows at 74.99€ (this is with tax). I bought one on sale a year ago for 49.99€. I think the previous gens were mostly around that price as well, definitely not above 60€.

FeralEcho

Eh, fuck em. I'm done with Sony after this generation. Shitty ass company that can't fix a simple stick drift. Never had this problem in previous gens.
Amen brother. It's the only fucking controller I've had stick drift issues with.

My damn PS2 controller from 20 years ago works flawlessly still.The most POS quality control on Sony this generation.

Unknown?

With Xbox being completely irrelevant, Sony is now showing their true colors. In other parts of the world, the Dualsense is already selling at $94.99 without taxes. If you're not on PC yet, you're scamming yourself. Sony has completely lost the plot this gen.
Cool, then you can just be scammed by Nvidia and many other parts companies!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Its just $5 to $10 increase. Basically the price of a month for PS+. People paid much more for a new phone every 2 years so $5 to $10 increase is nothing.

Worth it for the DualSense. If anything I don't mind paying $150 for those state of the art features like haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.

Somebody with a better memory than me... Were controllers always so expensive? I feel like controllers have really shot up in the last two gens.
They were 35-45€ in the X360 era i remember depending if it was wired or wireless.

Having to pay 75€ for a controller now must hurt holy fk

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Its just $5 to $10 increase. Basically the price of a month for PS+. People paid much more for a new phone every 2 years so $5 to $10 increase is nothing.

Worth it for the DualSense. If anything I don't mind paying $150 for those state of the art features like haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.

A game controller is equal to a mobile phone.. you heard it here first! 🤣

I absolutely adore the Dualsense both for it's comfort and features but goddamn am I getting sick of getting drift in them. Right now it's two for two with each getting drift on the right stick drifting to the left. Not going to buy a third especially at an increased price.

BlackTron

When N64 controllers were $30 it was like WOAH this is an advanced expensive new controller...because SNES pads were ten dollars by then. When controllers got even more expensive than games though, damn.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is bullshit. They are already very expensive relative to others. And the battery life is ass. I had to swap controllers 4 times for Astrobot and that game took a little over 12 hours plus maybe 6 for the kids.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The price has gone up everywhere, besides Amazon so far, even the official PS Direct store.

NickFire

Build quality still sucks IMO. If the sticks hold up the battery doesn’t in my experience. Anecdotal yes, but we’ve had quite a few.

Cyberpunkd

Its just $5 to $10 increase. Basically the price of a month for PS+.
$5 increase here, $10 increase there. That new streaming tier with no adds, it's only $2 extra, so who cares. Then you notice you are spending $100-200 more per month.
69$ in november 2020 is 83.40$ in 2024, so it's about 10% cheaper than at launch with these price raises.
Can we stop this argument? Average inflation is just that - average, with some customer categories increasing much more. We all know how it works - companies will use it as an excuse to raise prices anyway.

Euler007

Can we stop this argument? Average inflation is just that - average, with some customer categories increasing much more. We all know how it works - companies will use it as an excuse to raise prices anyway.
Inflation is a decrease in the purchasing power of money, reflected in higher price. There's no stopping reality.

StereoVsn

This is absolute BS from Sony. Manufacturing cost for this thing must have significantly reduced by now and they were making good ¥ on it in the first place.

Sony corporate is trying really hard now to rip off people as much as they can. It’s kind of nuts considering that a lot of folks haven’t converted from PS4 or Xbox One platforms yet.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Inflation is a decrease in the purchasing power of money, reflected in higher price. There's no stopping reality.

This is the only generation in my memory where both console and accessory prices have seen worldwide increase xyz number of years into it.

Dualshock 4, for example, did not have any notable increases and only saw it trending downwards as the generation went on, despite the inflation in those 10 years.

CherryFalls

Banned
UK has it still at £60 but its £65 or £70 in some places

And I still cant find the astrobot dualsense anywhere ;(

Last edited:
yea lets increase the price of 4 year old hardware so we can makeup for the challenging economic environment . these corpos are just putting their own problems on us consumers . its not our problem if economy is not good and consumers should not support these price increases .

The fuck?
I've said it before, I'll say it again, these fuckers need to be sued over their controllers (Sony/MS/Nintendo). Charging high prices when they know for a fact that shit is going to drift so you'll need to buy another.
its not even our problem if they are facing challenging economic situation . they are just putting their own problems on the consumer shoulders . fuck them.

Senua

Gold Member

69$ in november 2020 is 83.40$ in 2024, so it's about 10% cheaper than at launch with these price raises.

21369302_1548491861861477_2337028013385439019_n.jpg

Last edited:
With Xbox being completely irrelevant, Sony is now showing their true colors. In other parts of the world, the Dualsense is already selling at $94.99 without taxes. If you're not on PC yet, you're scamming yourself. Sony has completely lost the plot this gen.
Yea, because a PC doesn’t have to be upgraded often to stay relevant….try harder 🤦‍♂️

Roxkis_ii

Forgive my frustration, but fuck these disposable ass controllers. Stick drift has been fixed in other controllers years ago, so if it's not in the dualsence, then it's on purpose. I'm going to try to install some hall effect analogy sticks as soon as I can find a reliable supplier.

It's needs to be some kind of class action suit about these raggedy analog sticks Sony releases on these controllers.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
My rates went up a lot more than this tiny price increase. I don't consider my customers to be boot lickers. We're not all working at Wendy's.
PS5, the premium choice for gaming professionals. If you work at Wendy's, we have a product for you also. It's called a PS4.

In other unrelated news, why are young people not gaming these days?

Pretty sure all three console manufacturers( Sony, me and Nintendo) are using the same supplier for analog sticks. Pretty sure the sticks are the same across their controllers. They have the same failure rate

Euler007

In other unrelated news, why are young people not gaming these days?
If you're a young person living at home that worked full time july/august at minimum wage where I live you now have enough money to buy 6.71 Playstation 5s (new, taking into account sales tax). If you also worked eight hours a week at Canadian Tire for the other 44 weeks of the year that's 13.87 Playstation 5s.

When I was a student working at McDonald's in the mid nineties, working the same hours would have only bought me 4.18 PS2s.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Yeah, go to PC where markups are much higher and where there’s no innovation for controllers

Wait… what?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
If you're a young person living at home that worked full time july/august at minimum wage where I live you now have enough money to buy 6.71 Playstation 5s (new, taking into account sales tax). If you also worked eight hours a week at Canadian Tire for the other 44 weeks of the year that's 13.87 Playstation 5s.

When I was a student working at McDonald's in the mid nineties, working the same hours would have only bought me 4.18 PS2s.
So why did you bring up Wendy's?

Also, I think the biggest challenge young people are going to face is just affording rent, a car, car insurance, and food. The absolute basics to even get started and have a job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom