• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge | Review Thread

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
On Xbox I play with an Elite controller and definitely would not go back to a normal pad.

On PS, I have been thinking about would I want to pay out for the equivalent. But I just found out there are only 2 buttons on the back, so that's money saved.

My options button has gotten gummy and I only use this controller to play PvP in Destiny. I'm so glad I can change the sticks out, though! The only thing that ever broke on my Astro C40 was the X button.

Elios83

I just bought the DS Edge and It’s not convincing me at all. I am not playing better. Don’t know what to do. It should have came with rapid fire options.

The main value for me is in the back buttons that are comfortable to press and can be mapped to R3 and L3.
Right now I'm playing Baldurs Gate 3 and R3 is used constantly to highlight objects around you. Other games use L3 to sprint/run. Doing it with the back buttons is an other world compared to pressing the sticks.
In GT7 with the precise settings the analog sticks are so responsive that you have the feeling of control of a dedicated wheel.

It really depends on the particular games and how you play them but in general the main benefit is in the back buttons. The rest is more subtle and depends on your playstyle.

Pejo

Gold Member
Sorry for the necrobump, but I was curious - those of you that have had this for a while now, is the stick drift thing still an issue after a certain amount of time/play, or is it not an issue with this? I know the sticks are replaceable, so I'm assuming that it's a non-issue with the Edge, but worth an ask. I've been through 3 Dualsenses now with drift on all 3, and I figure if the premium model doesn't have the issue, might be worth the premium price.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Sorry for the necrobump, but I was curious - those of you that have had this for a while now, is the stick drift thing still an issue after a certain amount of time/play, or is it not an issue with this? I know the sticks are replaceable, so I'm assuming that it's a non-issue with the Edge, but worth an ask. I've been through 3 Dualsenses now with drift on all 3, and I figure if the premium model doesn't have the issue, might be worth the premium price.
I bought more than one (afraid to admit how many actually) but I mainly use the first one on my charger

I have used it a lot since they launched playing COD, Hell Let Loose and sports titles and have had zero drift yet

Honestly haven't even heard of anyone changing the modules out yet and still waiting on Hall Effect replacements for these but admittedly have looked in awhile to see if they are out

Pejo

Gold Member
I bought more than one (afraid to admit how many actually) but I mainly use the first one on my charger

I have used it a lot since they launched playing COD, Hell Let Loose and sports titles and have had zero drift yet

Honestly haven't even heard of anyone changing the modules out yet and still waiting on Hall Effect replacements for these but admittedly have looked in awhile to see if they are out
Thanks, appreciate the info! I was looking up PC support, and it looks like you have to use an intermediary app if you wanna use the paddles on PC, but otherwise it seems to be good reviews all around. Well, let's see if this one lasts. I honestly don't even know what I'm doing to cause all of the drift. I don't play sweaty games and I never toss controllers or mistreat them or anything. Two of my friends that play many more hours per week than I do have never had any drift issues on their launch Dualsenses.

I must have cursed hands.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Thanks, appreciate the info! I was looking up PC support, and it looks like you have to use an intermediary app if you wanna use the paddles on PC, but otherwise it seems to be good reviews all around. Well, let's see if this one lasts. I honestly don't even know what I'm doing to cause all of the drift. I don't play sweaty games and I never toss controllers or mistreat them or anything. Two of my friends that play many more hours per week than I do have never had any drift issues on their launch Dualsenses.

I must have cursed hands.
I seem to always get drift playing a lot of shooters on my left stick constantly pushing forward

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Just picked one of these up for a great price. I'm quite impressed with it thus far.

I've been through a lot of "Pro" controllers:
  • Xbox Elite Series 1
  • Xbox Elite Series 2
  • Scuf Instinct
  • Razer Wolverine v2
  • 8bitdo Ultimate 2.4G

Edge is definitely the best IMO.

• Weight feels just right
  • Literally perfect paddle placement
  • Perfect size for my hands
  • Aesthetics look great and has a premium feel
  • Adjustable triggers work great
  • One of the biggest differentiators it you get all of those advanced haptics/adaptive triggers, which no other "Pro" controller can offer
  • User replaceable thumbsticks.

Biggest drawback is probably the super shitty battery life. But for me personally it's not a problem as I literally never play more than 3 hours or so in a sitting, and the controller permanently sits on a charging dock when not in use.

Speaking of replaceable thumbsticks though, goddamn they seem to be impossible to find. I'd like to be able to order a pair just to have them on hand if/when I need them, but they're no where to be found online.

EDIT - oh shit I just checked walmart.com and they were in stock? Just bought a pair of them. All set.

Last edited:
Just picked one of these up for a great price. I'm quite impressed with it thus far.

I've been through a lot of "Pro" controllers:
  • Xbox Elite Series 1
  • Xbox Elite Series 2
  • Scuf Instinct
  • Razer Wolverine v2
  • 8bitdo Ultimate 2.4G

Edge is definitely the best IMO.

• Weight feels just right
  • Literally perfect paddle placement
  • Perfect size for my hands
  • Aesthetics look great and has a premium feel
  • Adjustable triggers work great
  • One of the biggest differentiators it you get all of those advanced haptics/adaptive triggers, which no other "Pro" controller can offer
  • User replaceable thumbsticks.

Biggest drawback is probably the super shitty battery life. But for me personally it's not a problem as I literally never play more than 3 hours or so in a sitting, and the controller permanently sits on a charging dock when not in use.

Speaking of replaceable thumbsticks though, goddamn they seem to be impossible to find. I'd like to be able to order a pair just to have them on hand if/when I need them, but they're no where to be found online.

EDIT - oh shit I just checked walmart.com and they were in stock? Just bought a pair of them. All set.
The 8bitdo is a fraction of the price of the others. And Ultimate is a misnomer since they have now updated their other controllers to be on par with it. 8bitdo controllers are pro tier controllers in terms of functionality but at the pricepoint (actually cheaper) than regular first party controllers. Don't get me wrong, if the Edge had hall effect sticks and had full access to its fuctions on PC while wireless I'd gladly fork $200 for it but it just doesn't have the value of an 8bitdo.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The 8bitdo is a fraction of the price of the others. And Ultimate is a misnomer since they have now updated their other controllers to be on par with it. 8bitdo controllers are pro tier controllers in terms of functionality but at the pricepoint (actually cheaper) than regular first party controllers. Don't get me wrong, if the Edge had hall effect sticks and had full access to its fuctions on PC while wireless I'd gladly fork $200 for it but it just doesn't have the value of an 8bitdo.

Yeah, the 8bitdo is unquestionably the best value. It's a fantastic controller.

I don't think the Edge (or any other controller) is worth $200. I got mine for $120 though and I'm okay with that.

Yeah, the 8bitdo is unquestionably the best value. It's a fantastic controller.

I don't think the Edge (or any other controller) is worth $200. I got mine for $120 though and I'm okay with that.
Ah. At $120 I'd probably be ok with not having hall effect sticks and just buy a ton of replacements. Still surprised that there's no third party selling hall effect modules for the Edge. Last I heard Gullikit cancelled their plans for one.

Archie501

Neo Member
I seem to always get drift playing a lot of shooters on my left stick constantly pushing forward

Ah. At $120 I'd probably be ok with not having hall effect sticks and just buy a ton of replacements. Still surprised that there's no third party selling hall effect modules for the Edge. Last I heard Gullikit cancelled their plans for one.

This is the one thing holding me off buying a Dualsense Edge. Yes, the ability to swap out analog modules is a step forward but it doesn't tackle the actual issue and thats the use of potentiometers in them. I don't know if you've seen them already but a company called "HexGaming" who are owned by ExtremeRate are bringing out a premium controller with 4 back buttons and hall effect stick modules, they're available to pre-order now for the US market. Being in the EU i'll have to wait before they become available here but i'm interested to see how the reviews are (the initial reviews out right now are of units that don't include the hall effects).

Kings Field

Had my edge since launch and it’s my favorite controller ever released. The 8BitDo ultimate is my second favorite. The price of the 8bitdo is crazy for the quality of controller you get.

This is the one thing holding me off buying a Dualsense Edge. Yes, the ability to swap out analog modules is a step forward but it doesn't tackle the actual issue and thats the use of potentiometers in them. I don't know if you've seen them already but a company called "HexGaming" who are owned by ExtremeRate are bringing out a premium controller with 4 back buttons and hall effect stick modules, they're available to pre-order now for the US market. Being in the EU i'll have to wait before they become available here but i'm interested to see how the reviews are (the initial reviews out right now are of units that don't include the hall effects).
I just looked it up and it's a whopping $280. I'm interested but that thing better last at least 5 years.

Archie501

Neo Member
I just looked it up and it's a whopping $280. I'm interested but that thing better last at least 5 years.

Yeah, the price point for all these premium controllers is absurd. In theory hall effect should give it an edge in longevity, but if the rest of the build quality is lacking it makes that redundant.

King Dazzar

FWIW I've still got the two I bought at launch. And no issues whatsoever. Whilst they get used in rotation, they are used all the time. And I still haven't had to swap any sticks (I have two spare). Hall Effect might sound like the promised land. But they can still wear in terms of stick tension. For me: swappable>hall effect>stock.

There's a new Wolverine V3 Pro just been released. Wireless, 6 extra buttons, vastly improved back paddles, hall effects, but only for Xbox. I'm tempted, but will await more in-depth reviews.

Hex Phantom on PS looks good, but mildly concerned over build quality. So didnt back the kick starter. Need to see Hall Effect review on it, as quality can vary with Hall Effect.

Last edited:

Salmon Snake

Gold Member
Are there any official changeable thumbsticks for the Edge?

Mine are getting a bit slippery because of wear n tear.

Edit. I mean the tips of the analog sticks.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Are there any official changeable thumbsticks for the Edge?

Mine are getting a bit slippery because of wear n tear.

Edit. I mean the tips of the analog sticks.
I dont know about official, but you can buy replacements for sure. Though none that I've seen deviate from what comes as standard, apart from colour. You could always consider putting some kontrolfreeks on too.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

The rubber grips are peeling off due to heat, I got wraps on Amazon but this thing needs a V2 badly.

Not my pic:

HMOyDEv.jpeg

Miles708

All of you willing to fork 100 or 200 bucks on a (no matter how arguably good) controller is the reason why Sony & co. can get away with such poor quality hardware out of the box.

In other words, everyone in this thread is at fault for the current shitty state of affairs in the consumer hardware space.

There i said it.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
All of you willing to fork 100 or 200 bucks on a (no matter how arguably good) controller is the reason why Sony & co. can get away with such poor quality hardware out of the box.

In other words, everyone in this thread is at fault for the current shitty state of affairs in the consumer hardware space.

There i said it.
But everyone is saying the controller is amazing. What do you even mean? This isn't supposed to replace the Dual Sense that comes with every PS5 nor that they are bad.

This is a product only mostly enthusiastic people will care and seems to be great. That's all.

Miles708

But everyone is saying the controller is amazing. What do you even mean? This isn't supposed to replace the Dual Sense that comes with every PS5 nor that they are bad.

This is a product only mostly enthusiastic people will care and seems to be great. That's all.

Sony will simply take note of the current complains and address that in an even more exclusive product because you are all still willing to spend more and more money for what was once basic quality control stuff.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Sony will simply take note of the current complains and address that in an even more exclusive product because you are all still willing to spend more and more money for what was once basic quality control stuff.
But...you don't have to buy this to play anything. It's literally optional.

Let's not pretend the Dual Sense isn't night and day when compared to the Dual Shock 4. That thing was cheap as fuck in comparison. They clearly heard complains. The Edge has a LOT of stuff no regular controller would ever have if you want to buy it an affordable price.

Sleepwalker

The rubber grips are peeling off due to heat, I got wraps on Amazon but this thing needs a V2 badly.

Not my pic:

HMOyDEv.jpeg

I have one that I got from a trade that is peeled off. The thing isnt even a year old. Crazy.

I'm going to replace the part altogether with a kit from amazon but this shouldn't be a thing.

Yeah, the price point for all these premium controllers is absurd. In theory hall effect should give it an edge in longevity, but if the rest of the build quality is lacking it makes that redundant.
I'm looking at previews of the non-hall effect version and the build quality seems pretty solid. They also seem to have a limited lifetime warranty so that might somewhat offset that ridiculous price tag. What really intrigues me is that the Phantom is apparently just a heavily modded Dualsense instead of an officially licensed controller which makes sense cause ExtremeRate primarily sells parts for modding. The PS5 and PC recognizes it as a Dualsense (firmware and all) and not a third party controller. I'm waiting for reviews of the hall effect version but this is defnitely on my radar now.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Personally, I play more with the Nacon Pro and Razer Wolv. pro 3 (just replaced the v2) than the dual sense edge.

I picked it up and release and was mostly underwhelmed by it.

Buttons feel better (better travel, better feedback) on the Razer.
Heft and “hand feel” are better in the Nacon.
Any controller out lasts the DS Edge battery.

Dual Sense beats all of them if the haptics is important to you (would recommend the Dual Sense edge for Astro bot).

Last edited:
Top Bottom