• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

Tizoc

ix9u9xjdO5TjH.jpg

Platform: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Steam, Wii U
Developer: Wayforward
Genre: 2D Platformer
Players: 1 Player

Price (Digital):
PSN: $14.99 / 11.99£ on UK PSN
Steam: $14.99 (can be bought for $12 via Greenmangaming)
XBLA: 1200 MSP
Wii U: $15.00​
Price (Retail - PS3 Only): $19.99, but is mainly a boxart with a code to download the game from PSN and a DuckTales Collector Pin​

Available:
PSN: August 13th, 2013 [US PSN] & August 14th, 2013 [EU PSN] / August 20th, 2013 (Retail)
Steam: August 13th (can currently be preordered on Steam)
Xbox Live: September 11th, 2013 (due to Summer of Arcade)
Wii U eShop: August 13th, 2013​

Details
DuckTales Remastered is an HD remake of the classic NES game DuckTales (Wanpaku Duck Yume Bōken/Naughty Ducks Dream Adventures in Japan). The remake features:
  • skippable voiced cutscenes by the original 80s cartoon voice actors
  • Playing on Easy difficulty adds checkpoints to the stages
  • the ability to swim in the Money Bin
  • unlockable gallery items
  • an option for an easier pogo jump (emphasis on option!)
  • the ability to unlock a rare full-length version of the TV show's theme song
  • and (gameplay spoilers)
    an extra bonus level
    !

Most of the 2D animations were hand-drawn, and characters closely resemble their cartoon counterparts.

Additionally, the music is being composed by Jake 'Virt' Kaufman (Double Dragon Neon, Mighty Switch Force!, Shantae).

It is possible to unlock 8-bit variations of the music as well, done by completing the game at least once.​

Reviews
Press-Start review (4.5/5)
Vooks review (4/5)
Edge gave it a 5
Polygon gave it a 5/10
A gamespot review scored it 4/10
Screwattack review (9/10)
Top Five reasons Ducktales: Remastered is Ducking Awesome.
Games Radar review (4.5/5)
Game Informer review (8/10)

Media
Some of the music tracks of Ducktales Remastered have been uploaded to Youtube.

Money Bin Stage
Amazon Stage
Transylvania Stage
African Mines Stage
Himalayian Stage
Moon Stage
Mount Vesuvius

GIFs courtesy of chun li's thighs
8U2yECO.gif
HCGNIOx.gif

4Y4Us5f.gif
AURboiX.gif

Thanks to Dark Schala, Andrew & chun li’s thighs

E9OMzwL.gif

antitrop

My aunt bought the NES game for my birthday when I was young. The game left a strong impression on me and I'll be glad to see it through again.

I certainly love nostalgia fan service as much as anyone.

oti

Banned
NDA runs out on Monday 9:00 CET. I've been playing it on Wii U and it's
NDANDANDA

jtkauff

Sooo tempted to get the boxed version. Even more tempted to actually double-dip and keep the boxed version sealed.

antitrop

Not to rain on this game's parade, but I loved Darkwing Duck on the NES, as well. If this is successful, perhaps they could think about that one?

Tizoc

^
100%ing the game and completing the bonus stage will reveal a trailer for Darkwing Duck remastered

Anybody know where to actually preorder the retail copy? I can't find it anywhere online.

I believe Gamestop offer it?

TwIsTeD

After the reveal at PAX East I was bummed that I couldnt try it out due to my friends being asshats....Steam baby Day UNO!

Andrew.

Banned
Still dont understand the love for the Moon music. It's pretty sub par to me compared to a bunch of Capcom Disneys other NES tunes...

As in the entirety of the Rescue Rangers soundtrack =P

Nice OP! Thanks for the shout out!

Day One and Day One for the case and the super cool PIN

antitrop

Still dont understand the love for the Moon music. It's pretty sub par to me compared to a bunch of Capcom Disneys other NES tunes...

As in the entirety of the Rescue Rangers soundtrack =P

You shut your mouth with that first page Moon Music hatred. It's literally my childhood.

Andrew.

Banned
Not to rain on this game's parade, but I loved Darkwing Duck on the NES, as well. If this is successful, perhaps they could think about that one?

That was SUCH a great game. Too bad it came out rather late in the NES life, but what I had played I thought was fantastic. Loved the different gas guns and stage selection. Very Megaman like.

oti

Banned
Again, there's a NDA but let me tell you this much: I think this game NEEDS a decent D-Pad.

antitrop

That was SUCH a great game. Too bad it came out rather late in the NES life, but what I had played I thought was fantastic. Loved the different gas guns and stage selection. Very Megaman like.

As Shane Bettenhausen would say, Darkwing Duck is secretly one of the best games on the NES. Everyone knows Duck Tales, but DD was released for the NES in '92. Not quite as late as Kirby or anything, but still... at the end.

AEREC

Got no memory of this but I loved the cartoon when I was a kid. Would kill for a Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers remake though.

Also I thought duck tales had a bear with a sea plane. Edit: NM...Im thinking of talespin.

Definitely getting that boxed PS3 version, if only for the art.

If this does well enough, I'd love a Rescue Rangers remake (With hand-drawn backgrounds, please) with online co-op.

Even ran on a modfied Mega Man engine, I believe.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think off-tv+ equal launch price means I'll be grabbing the Wii U version

Got this pre-ordered and ready to go!

And like others have mentioned, I'd hope to get a Darkwing Duck remaster in the same style one day. Still have the NES cart around here somewhere...

I'd by lying if I said I wasn't excited for this! :D

Played/loved both games on the NES, and hope like hell that Darkwing Duck is soon to follow down the pipeline.

As for the bonus level in Darkwing Duck, we'd be able jump into Gizmo Duck's suit and control him for the first time ever!

Blathering blatherskite!

(BTW, I wonder if he'll still show up in the Moon level to blast that rock?)

Top Bottom