• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remastered |OT| The Citizen Cane of video games

Mzo

I don't often give those sites much attention, it's the opinions here that scare me. Seems that some find the game frustrating rather than challenging.
Have you played NES Ducktales? It's nowhere near one of the hardest NES games. It's a bit on the easy side because the bosses are jokes.

This game is easier than that game. Just don't start on the Amazon level like a noob.

Just beat hard mode. What's the difference to extreme mode? Is it just that I'm forced to go through the whole game at once? Because if so, that doesn't sound too bad.
By the time I got to Vesuvius on Hard I had 20 lives. On Extreme I had 10, so 1-ups are scarcer. Extreme also has far fewer ice creams when compared to Hard.

The ScrewAttack review says there's also a special message for players who beat the game on that difficulty.
I didn't see any special message D= I did skip the credits because fuck that. If there's a message confirmed I'll do it again.

MattG-PTB

A bit underwhelming, but I chuckled when I read it.
Yeah, I smiled when I saw it. According to what Remastered's director told me a few days ago, the special message and
unlocking the 8-bit soundtrack without beating the game first by inputting the Street Fighter II SNES code during the Capcom logo
are the only secrets. I was hoping for that rumored Darkwing Duck Remastered trailer, but ya can't win 'em all!

Finally beat it. Steam says 6 hours, but the in-game counter says 2 hours? Played on Hard from the start and remembered nothing about the original.

Final boss music is awesome. I assume this is a WayForward original? Reminds me of Golden Sun.

Am I the only one who can't wait for a soundtrack release? I have a majority of the games songs stuck in my head most days.

Come on, Disney and Capcom! Get that baby released!

Game is hard. I don't remember the NES game being this hard. Maybe I had more time on my hands back then.

It's difficult. When Remastered released, it had a pogo response bug which meant that even the easiest difficulty was hard due to how the pogo didn't respond correctly. I managed to beat the game though with a pogo that doesn't work.

I don't really get all the "hard complaints" there were harder parts to the new super Mario bros games then anything DuckTales throws at you.

Remember very little of the original but played through the initial level and its a lot of fun. The voice acting hits the nostalgia bug. I also dig the look. Im surprised it got mixed reviews. Can't wait to play some more.

Lijik

I don't really get all the "hard complaints" there were harder parts to the new super Mario bros games then anything DuckTales throws at you.

Personally speaking, both here and in the NES original the Amazon is the most frustrating and difficult in the entire game (tbf i wasnt aware of the boss shortcut in the nes game until like this week - whoops!). Assuming that holds true for other people (which maybe it doesnt i dont really know!) playing that stage first probably colored some of the critic's perceptions. Especially when the pogo is finicky!

Mzo

Personally speaking, both here and in the NES original the Amazon is the most frustrating and difficult in the entire game (tbf i wasnt aware of the boss shortcut in the nes game until like this week - whoops!). Assuming that holds true for other people (which maybe it doesnt i dont really know!) playing that stage first probably colored some of the critic's perceptions. Especially when the pogo is finicky!
You're right, Amazon is the hardest. Better to get the heart containers in Transylvania and the Himalayas first.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I had a lot of fun with this game, I hope it will be a success and Capcom lets WayForward remake the second game, too. I think it's sad though, that WayForward didn't offer both variations of each level - having seen a video of the NES version of Ducktales 2 (Ducktales 2 in GB was my first video game, so it was easier for me to take the second game as a reference, I've only played through the first game once), the versions seem to be different enough that it would have been worth it.

linkboy

I don't often give those sites much attention, it's the opinions here that scare me. Seems that some find the game frustrating rather than challenging.

It plays like an older NES game, so for people who aren't familiar with that type of gameplay, it can be frustrating.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Ew, what's the point of speed running this game on easy or normal mode? Those modes are far too easy for any speed run to be very impressive.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Finally came around buying and playing it. The music is so well reworked, I really love it. The moment the opening screen music started I smiled like a crazy person and basically never stopped that while playing. Also, dubstep Transsylvania. Hell yeah.

RPGCrazied

Went ahead an bought today along with Mars: War Logs, I'll try Ducktales some tomorrow. Never really remember the NES game, but I do remember the show, nostalgia is a bitch sometimes. Reason I bought it.

Gliffyr

it's probably too early to ask, but anybody already tried speedrunning it?
He's not currently speedrunning it as he's learning the game right now I'm pretty sure, but tminator64 has stated that he plans to speedrun it on Extreme mode. I'm unsure if it will be the main game he focuses on as he plays multiple others, but he's worth checking out.

entremet

Loving this game. Really brings me back. I bought the original NES version after that fantastic Nintendo Power cover feature. The game was thoroughly enjoyable and I played it to bits.

Although I think it is a quality remake. Two critiques--the cutscenes. Skippable I know, but just doesn't fit.

I would've loved a full 2D game, but I know that probably would've been cost prohibitive. Hopefully, this is well received. I loved Rescue Rangers and never got the play Ducktales 2/RR2 or Darkwing Duck.

Eusis

Unskippable end credits can go fuck themselves.

Enjoyed the game though.
Man, funny timing this.

I took the advice of the others in the thread, held forward AND up while going from rope to rope to go up through them faster, and nailed
the end climb perfectly even when I took a side trip in case there was a 1up in one part (there wasn't)
. Naturally right after the ending showed and it started to save the system locked up.

FORTUNATELY it saved properly and I didn't lose everything I earned, but I'm just amazed at the timing, it was almost like I simply couldn't win... and instead I just got in the situation the guy I quoted wished he were in probably.

Yuterald

Aw man, I got to the end of the final segment on my first Extreme run of the game today, literally one or two jumps away from seeing the credits, and I lost my last life because I tried to jump instead of using my pogo...lol! Classic sweaty palm moment failure, hah! I'll get it next time. This Extreme mode run seemed a lot easier than I thought it was going in. Game's so cool and fun that I don't mind running it again.

Bladenic

Started playing finally. On Easy... Because I'm a noob and I feel like this game would be ripe for frustration lol. Anyway beat African Mines as my first level, I liked it. How do you dodge the attack of the boss when he calls in a bunch of rolly guys?

Also, the music in the hub is gorgeous.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
What's your favorite level music, and favorite boss battles duckgaf?

My favorite theme now is the amazon theme, such a jolly tune, sounds like something you can sing to. I know Brental floss even did a cover for it after googling the song.

The best boss imo is the transylvania boss (Magica? I forget). Reminds me of castlevania.

Top Bottom