• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

Oh and I was wondering why there wasn't any dedicated servers so I had a look around and it looks like u can start one but you cannot do anything to it because they disabled the console entirely. So you can run a server, and just let it sit, you can't kick people, change map etc, nothing.

Lame. Oh and your mic is always on, no push to talk. lol.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
MrPing1000 said:
Oh and I was wondering why there wasn't any dedicated servers so I had a look around and it looks like u can start one but you cannot do anything to it because they disabled the console entirely. So you can run a server, and just let it sit, you can't kick people, change map etc, nothing.

Lame.
Plus since it's steamworks you can't play the game while running a server. You need to buy 2 copies on 2 seperate accounts.

Steamworks is awesome! :)

fuck steamworks

Symphonic

MrPing1000 said:
Finished it on hard, using the golen pistol the whole way last night on PC.

Enjoyed it for what it was, but it started to go downhill quite a bit once you got past Duke Burger (which was awesome btw). The levels got a bit meh, and aside from a few cool ideas not much happens in the final third. It sorta blew it's load creatively early on tbh. I thought the combat was pretty solid overall and it's nice to have a bunch of boss battles in a FPS for the first time in forever. And it did make me laugh out loud twice, which is rare for a game to do.

It's not a great game, but I didn't think it was terrible either.

Hopefully if they do make another, gearbox actually makes it.

What was your game time?

Just finished the PC version.

After playing the demo and reading several reviews I was expecting the worst, but I actually really enjoyed it. It isn't pretty, innovative or worth the wait, but it is FUN.

The gameplay is solid, the enemies are fun to fight against (shooting pig cops, assault troopers or Octobrains never got old), and the more traditional weapons - pistol, shotgun, machinegun, pipebombs, tripmines) are very statisfying to use.

Shit reviews like Eurogamers' are depressing, especially when you see turgid stuff like CoD and Resistance 2 getting 9/10. In a parallel universe where more games in the genre continued down the Doom II, Duke3D, Painkiller, Blood and Heretic route it would deserve 3/10, but given how boring, grey and predictable AAA fps's and their protagonists have become, it gets a solid 8/10 from me.

I'll take fighting aliens in a giant fast food kitchen over commies/terrorists/nazis in a bombed out city anyday.

Zomba13

MrPing1000 said:

Lame. Oh and your mic is always on, no push to talk. lol.
Yeah, the multiplay needs some real work. I don't like having to disconnect my mic when I play (My computer is a loud beast with gigantic fans), I don't like the lag, and I don';t like the cheaters. Had at least one game runied by an aim botter the day after launch. This game really needs dedicated servers because the multiplayer is damn good fun when you can play with little lag and no cheaters.

And I have to say I'd give this a solid 7-8/10 if I liked to use numbers to value a games worth. By no means perfect it is a breath of fresh air compared to modern corridor shooters. Definitely doesn't live up to its super long dev time but it'd have to be the best game ever made if it did. Not fully done with it yet but I think I'm nearing the end. Steam still says 6 hours like yesterday but I've put around 2 more into it since then and am not done (I did spend a bunch of time playing pinball and air hockey and poker and pool and all the other great interactive stuff in this game).

McNum

Just finished the game on Normal, and it was pretty fun all the way through. It's stupid, it's offensive, it's dated. In other words, it's Duke Nukem. While the game could do with a bit more polish (ironically enough), it's not a bad game at all. The boss fights needed some more maneuvering space, and the Octobrains were overpowered compared to pretty much any enemy, bosses included, but overall I had big dumb fun with this game.

Got the Gunslinger achievement, too, so to those wondering: You ARE allowed to drop the starting pistol, but you must have it on you at the end of each level so you'll carry it over. I wouldn't throw it away, anyway. Not only is it stylin', but it's also brutally effective against pigcops.

Also, for those who''s getting the Duke's Kick Ass Edition on PC, you'll need to activate Duke's Big Package by adding it as a game on Steam. It's basically an Ego boost and some new outfits for Duke.

About the ending, I can't believe they chose THAT scene to parody.
"Nukem, Duke: KIA" ... "I ain't dead! What kind of lame-ass ending is THAT?"
Also stay through the credits, there's a stinger at the end that hopefully hints towards a sequel. Which will hopefully not take that long to get released.

I'm amazed at how low reviews this is getting, though. Even using the full 1-10 scale, this is a solid 7, maybe an 8. No way does Duke deserve less than a 6.

megamerican

LocoMrPollock said:
They didn't even do that. Triptych basically patched it together and finished development while Gearbox just supervised. Pirahana did the PS3 and Xbox 360 ports as well as the multiplayer component.

Seems really weird that a developer on such an upswing would go out of their way to slap their name on something like this, especially if they didn't actually do much.

Teknoman

TomJoadsGhost said:
Cool, i'll give bulletstorm a go then.

Am enjoying duke, playing on Ps3 and so *far* havent really hit any problems other than the loading times, after some of what i've heard i was half expecting this to be flawed on a 'enter the matrix' or 'angel of darkness' scale, im not terribly far in so i feel kind of nervous about having said anything though.

Bulletstorm is amazing, but if you've got a great PC, buy the PC version.

MNC

megamerican said:
Seems really weird that a developer on such an upswing would go out of their way to slap their name on something like this, especially if they didn't actually do much.
I think Gearbox paid big money to revive Duke. Just guessing and I thought I read that somewhere.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
game is SHIT.

loved the first one, there is nothing good about this game. It's boring, looks shitty and it's embarrassing to listen to the 'cool' characters.

McNum

funkystudent said:
so how long is this game and how long do I have left.

I am just at the dam and have a playtime of 5 hours.
The dam is the last area. It's a couple of hours long, and has several boss fights. Time severely dependent on how good you are against said bosses and if you like swimming.

I'm thinking that when Gearbox bought the Duke Nukem license, it probably came with a clause that Forever had to be finished. Or the other way around that Gearbox offered to finish Forever if they could buy Duke Nukem. In any case, I hope Gearbox looks at Forever and learns from it. It does a lot of things well, but also falls flat in other places. A sequel that takes the feedback they'll get off Forever in account would be awesome. The Forever formula definitely has potential.

Zomba13

Just finished now. Really enjoyed it. Around 8-9 and a bit hours it took me (Steam say 8 but it was also stuck on 6 hours for an hour or 2)
Love the unlockable stuff once you finished the game. Nice to see a game feature unlockable cheats again.
My mouse problem is fixed (well, not fixed. It's the mouse that's borked and I've got a spare) so time to dig into the multiplayer with my orange shirted Duke with a pumpkin on his head.

I think hats are the best thing to happen to multiplayer FPSs in a long while.

megamerican said:

Their publisher 2K assigned it to them. I would imagine they wanted an established developer to make sure that it was finished and out the door in a reasonable amount of time and to also give a boost of confidence to the public. However Gearbox is not that big and has 2 other projects in production, so they just supervised while Triptych and Pirahna did the grunt work.

Just to clarify. Gearbox does not own the rights to Duke. 2K bought the rights back in 2003 and 3D Realms received in total about 7.5 million from 2K, however they never finished the game and 2K sued them for the rights and the source code.

Spoo

LocoMrPollock said:
Just to clarify. Gearbox does not own the rights to Duke. 2K bought the rights back in 2003 and 3D Realms received in total about 7.5 million from 2K, however they never finished the game and 2K sued them for the rights and the source code.

You are mistaken. Gearbox now owns the Duke Nukem IP.

Spoo said:

Oh, my mistake. And I guess the publisher is Take Two, not 2K. Always get them confused.

Looks like Triptych was founded and is run by the co designer of Duke 3D as well.

ElRenoRaven

Spoo said:

Yup. He's right. Gearbox owns duke. Take 2 doesn't own Duke at all. The only reason I remember is because I remember reading about Randy being approached to buy it.

saunderez

LocoMrPollock said:
Oh, my mistake. And I guess the publisher is Take Two, not 2K. Always get them confused.

Looks like Triptych was founded and is run by the co designer of Duke 3D as well.
Take Two owns 2K, they're often used interchangeably so you weren't wrong about the publisher.

Jintor

I don't even care that it's offensive. So far from what I've played, it's just bad. Still, gonna road test a few more levels...

RyL

Banned
// ok, keep throwing turds around you manchildren
saunderez said:
Bahaha...I'm a University graduate (and successfully employed in my career) and I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. Get off your high horse and stop being such a cynical asshole.

I was talking about the best gamers review you moron ... so much to being an university graduate

Riposte

RyL said:
most gamers are shallow, so thick that over the top dramatizations of stereotypes really rustle their jimmies so extensively that they must call out every flaw and statement the creator made. It is a clear indication of the lack of education among a majority of the (gaming) population.

Yeah, baby, you flex that ego.

EDIT: Most other games with apparent flaws are defended too. Every game has its fans. This is not a notable phenomenon, on NeoGAF or elsewhere.

EDIT: Personally I think this game should have been a budget title(30 dollars?). Pretty dishonest of Gearbox, but I guess they need to make that that Duke IP money? Hopefully the next Duke Nukem will not take x many years and will be decent if not good. (Not as amusing as Deadly Premonition, but mechanically superior.)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
RyL said:
wanna mindless fun done well look at the serious sam series or more recent Bulletstorm

You can make sausages out of cute bunnies? I am deeply offended by this. Please, won't someone think of the digital bunnies?
I knew about all those things except the bunnies. Serious Sam 2 was an overall pretty funny game, especially that alien race who all looked like Elvis

saunderez

RyL said:
It is a clear indication of the lack of education among a majority of the (gaming) population.
Bahaha...I'm a University graduate (and successfully employed in my career) and I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. Get off your high horse and stop being such a cynical asshole.

saunderez said:

But your taste in video games differs from mine! Clearly, you must be less educated and/or a misogynistic pig. What other possible explanation can there be?

saunderez

DimmuBurgerKing said:
But your taste in video games differs from mine! Clearly, you must be less educated and/or a misogynistic pig. What other possible explanation can there be?
Next he'll be telling me that I don't find South Park and Family Guy funny because my superior intellect could not possibly allow that.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
RyL said:
yea... Threads like this make me cringe, I mean it comes as no suprise that gaming communities make no sense at all but this here takes the cake, no wonder that some people still think "videogames are for manchildren" (and like with most stereotypes, there's some truth in it)

18.png

Branson

So I bought a copy for PC off of Amazon, now is this game Steamworks? I mainly bought a physical copy because of the fucking AT&T cap but also to have a physical of DNF.

vocab

RyL said:
yea... Threads like this make me cringe, I mean it comes as no suprise that gaming communities make no sense at all but this here takes the cake, no wonder that some people still think "videogames are for manchildren" (and like with most stereotypes, there's some truth in it)

Bottles of tears everywhere.

pelican

MrPing1000 said:
Finished it on hard, using the golen pistol the whole way last night on PC..

Nice work.

I am embarrassed to say that I am finding it tough on normal difficulty:s I am pretty strong at shooters too.

derFeef

dogmanstaruk said:
Nice work.

I am embarrassed to say that I am finding it tough on normal difficulty:s I am pretty strong at shooters too.
It is tougher than todays shooters for sure. Don't pay attention or have a slow trigger finger and you are pretty much done.

luka said:
Plus since it's steamworks you can't play the game while running a server. You need to buy 2 copies on 2 seperate accounts.

Steamworks is awesome! :)

fuck steamworks
That's weird, I can play Valve's games while running a server. Infact there are a fair amount of games where I can run the dedicateds and play the game. Maybe it has something more to do with DNF than steamworks integration?

Ouch

Eurogamer - 3/10

Duke's long-awaited comeback has turned him from genre innovator to wheezing has-been. In the time since his last outing, the likes of Halo, Battlefield, Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto have all gone from nothing to world-conquering, genre-defining juggernauts. Even within his own narrow niche, Bulletstorm and Gearbox's own Borderlands have taken Duke's irreverent shooter crown and made it their own, and it seems that after a decade and a half on the shelf, the self-proclaimed king no longer has the muscle to claim it back. Duke Nukem Forever attempts to turn back the clock, but can't even get that right.

stuminus3

Eurogamer said:
Duke's health recharges rather than relying on health packs, a concession to the unbalanced damage, yet this in turn demands a shoot-and-hide approach to combat that turns the game into a cover-shooter without a workable cover system.
Then isn't that just like... the Call of Duty series?

I love Call of Duty.

Zeliard

Eurogamer said:
Duke's health recharges rather than relying on health packs, a concession to the unbalanced damage, yet this in turn demands a shoot-and-hide approach to combat that turns the game into a cover-shooter without a workable cover system.

Sounds like 90% of shooters since Halo.

(._.)

Banned
eXistor said:
This is the perfect game to ignore reviews over. I'm liking the game a lot myself. The only things I really don't like in this game are the linear levels (I want small-ish non-linear levels like Duke 3D) and that stupid 2-weapon limit. Also running in this game blows, this also needs to be the way it was back in the day.

Other than that: the Duke himself is great and remains intact no matter how crappy his game might be. The gunplay is decent to good and the levels are very diverse (the stripclub was awesome and more like how I want the rest of the game to be, only bigger of course). It's nothing special (except for the Duke himself) and Gearbox will have to step their game up if they want Duke Nukem to truly be forever, but as it stands is a fun game. Come in with the right and realistic expectations and you'll have a blast.
This is pretty much how I go into every game experience. I've seen a ton od Duke footage for PC and I honestly don't know how the game isn't at least worth the $25 I paid for it. People will constantly bash outlets for giving a CoD game 10s but when a game they are looking forward too starts getting average reviews they all of a sudden start taking these scores seriously.

[Nintex]

I finished it and this game is just... bizarre total insanity even. The mythical Duke Nukem Forever 2001 version will always be better but I do like the game. It's not earth shattering or ground breaking or anything and it doesn't even follow the leaked script so I feel that despite this taking 12 years to build they still removed some stuff to dare I say it... rush it out the door.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I think I'll play this game again. It's kind of refreshing compared to all the other cookie-cutter FPS games out there.

Top Bottom