• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I played this for about 40 minutes today and i really enjoyed what i played. Sure the game is kind of dated, but i dig the post processing effects they got going on and the humor is great so far. Game feels like a throwback and i guess that's another reason why i'm enjoying it.

ElRenoRaven

Ouch. Sad to see it's getting reviewed so poorly. Can't say it surprises me but that is sad. I really hoped it would surprise everyone and actually get some good reviews.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
PsychoRaven said:
Ouch. Sad to see it's getting reviewed so poorly. Can't say it surprises me but that is sad. I really hoped it would surprise everyone and actually get some good reviews.

Not surprising, considering most outlets seem to be reviewing the dreadful console versions. PC Gamer gave the Master Race version 80/100.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Combichristoffersen said:
Not surprising, considering most outlets seem to be reviewing the dreadful console versions. PC Gamer gave the Master Race version 80/100.
Uh, I played the master race version and would give it a 2 or 3 out of ten.

Better load times doesn't fix DNF when the core game is so uninteresting.

randomwab

Finished it earlier. Some genuinely fun set pieces and ideas, but buried in a heap of dull mediocrity. The game was better than the demo, but still an overall poor, long and bland shooter. A real pity.

Still, I hope Gearbox can do something much better and more current with the Duke licence.

Combichristoffersen

Dance In My Blood said:
Uh, I played the master race version and would give it a 2 or 3 out of ten.

Your taste must be broken, it is a 90/10. At least. Seriously though, I'm in line with PC Gamer, it's a 7-8/10 for me. It's a flawed game with some debatable design choices (with the two-weapon limit being the most offensive), but in a market that is oversaturated with srs bsns military dudebro shootan gaems with mature stories for mature gamers, Duke is a breath of fresh air. There's been like.. probably less than 10 FPS games released post-Blood I've actually cared about (Quake 4, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the latest Wolfenstein, Doom 3, Painkiller, Serious Sam: First Encounter, Serious Sam 2, DarkWatch and Clive Barker's Undying are the only ones I can think of), so Duke offers me what I want from FPS games, unlike other current FPS games.

ElRenoRaven

Well the rumors don't help. If true you're adding 15 multiplayer levels? I mean WTF? It honestly as hard as this is to believe seems that the game was rushed.

CecilRousso said:
It´s fascinating to see a game with so much tasteless humour and so many apparent flaws being defended like this one is on internet forums, while other games are getting strangled at the first sight of low res textures.
Duke Nukem appeals to a certain group of people. It's very stimulus/response. It's the same reaction as a fetish or other mild mental disorder, really.

I gotta say, the more I play it the less I'm enjoying it. I'm about 5 hours into the game and its getting real boring.

Unfortunately I was one of the ones who had waited the last 10 years so this is really disappointing. I just hope Gearbox can do something cool with the license in future games.

So far this game is 6/10 for me (PC version)

dimb

Your taste must be broken, it is a 90/10. At least. Seriously though, I'm in line with PC Gamer, it's a 7-8/10 for me. It's a flawed game with some debatable design choices (with the two-weapon limit being the most offensive), but in a market that is oversaturated with srs bsns military dudebro shootan gaems with mature stories for mature gamers, Duke is a breath of fresh air. There's been like.. probably less than 10 FPS games released post-Blood I've actually cared about (Quake 4, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the latest Wolfenstein, Doom 3, Painkiller, Serious Sam: First Encounter, Serious Sam 2, DarkWatch and Clive Barker's Undying are the only ones I can think of), so Duke offers me what I want from FPS games, unlike other current FPS games.
I just don't understand this perspective I guess. So much of Forever is cribbed from other games that it's hard for me consider it a "breath of fresh air".

It isn't particularly funny at any point, and seems to even play the story straight for most of the games (unless gigantic chunks of the humor are completely lost on me). Are there moments of creativity? Sure, but almost all of them are based around Duke being shrunk down. After that it becomes a romp to save the girl/world through sewers, factories, generators, and every other generic production facility you can imagine. Insultingly, these are split into multiple parts and level names become stuff like "The Generator: Part 2".

Duke can sometimes get so lost in these mundane environments that the game will pop up text reminders on screen in an attempt to remind you that you actually have a short term goal. When stuff like this is most of the game, I have a tough time setting Duke apart from the pack beyond the bad occasional joke or video game reference. If anything the references to other games just point out the shortcomings of Forever while I'm playing it.

scorpian007 said:
I gotta say, the more I play it the less I'm enjoying it. I'm about 5 hours into the game and its getting real boring.

Unfortunately I was one of the ones who had waited the last 10 years so this is really disappointing. I just hope Gearbox can do something cool with the license in future games.

So far this game is 6/10 for me (PC version)

eek!

Should I resend my Steam preorder?

Kruhex

Really am loving it. It's one of the few games I get hooked on to keep playing. The last one was Singularity and before that Painkiller in terms of FPS. If these FPS are too "90's" or early 2K then please give me more of these.

randomwab

AgentOtaku said:
eek!

Should I resend my Steam preorder?

Did you play, and if so, how did you like games like Quake 4/Prey/Doom 3 and things like that? It's like that sort of game...but sort of....like a bland version of those or something. I sort of enjoyed it, but I'd still give it like a 4 or 5 out of 10.

Also, there's an item that doesn't show up at all in the single player campaign which, to me, is bullshit.
Where the fuck is the jetpack?

Combichristoffersen

Dance In My Blood said:
I just don't understand this perspective I guess. So much of Forever is cribbed from other games that it's hard for me consider it a "breath of fresh air".

It's a breath of fresh air in that the game doesn't take itself seriously at all, while the current trend of FPS games like Medal of Duty: Gears of Halo are military shooters that take themselves seriously, as mature games with mature storytelling for mature gamers

Kruhex

Dance In My Blood said:

It isn't particularly funny at any point, and seems to even play the story straight for most of the games (unless gigantic chunks of the humor are completely lost on me). Are there moments of creativity? Sure, but almost all of them are based around Duke being shrunk down. After that it becomes a romp to save the girl/world through sewers, factories, generators, and every other generic production facility you can imagine. Insultingly, these are split into multiple parts and level names become stuff like "The Generator: Part 2".

Duke can sometimes get so lost in these mundane environments that the game will pop up text reminders on screen in an attempt to remind you that you actually have a short term goal. When stuff like this is most of the game, I have a tough time setting Duke apart from the pack beyond the bad occasional joke or video game reference. If anything the references to other games just point out the shortcomings of Forever while I'm playing it.

How many FPS games today have cool/interesting guns and interesting enemy/monster designs? This is what early shooters had which doesn't exist today really. It's just pure fun to me. Oh and Bulletstorm was a gift to humanity for the genre.

randomwab

It's a breath of fresh air in that the game doesn't take itself seriously at all, while the current trend of FPS games like Medal of Duty: Gears of Halo are military shooters that take themselves seriously, as mature games with mature storytelling for mature gamers

Bulletstorm does this, and does it better. It also has better gameplay, level design, and more relevant humour in the same vein as what Duke is trying for.

Bulletstorm is Duke for this generation, in my opinion.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I'm on the final boss right now. It took me a good chunk of my Saturday, probably about 5 or 6 hours.

I swear to God, I really enjoyed the game. I guess it helped that my brother and father joined in on the festivities -- we've been waiting for this game as long as everyone else, so every single Duke line made us cheer for more.

I'm using Flawless Widescreen to increase my FOV (Set it to +20.0) and to remove the DOF effects -- and the game looks fantastic. Sure, they're not state-of-the-art graphics, but they didn't make me appreciate the game any less. With AA bumped up all the way up using nVidia control panel, the game looked pretty crisp.

I'll write up a bit more after I digest this 12 year old video-game meal. Right now, it gets an 8 out of 10 for me. It's the first FPS that kept my attention long enough to complete in one sitting.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
randomwab said:
Did you play, and if so, how did you like games like Quake 4/Prey/Doom 3 and things like that? It's like that sort of game...but sort of....like a bland version of those or something. I sort of enjoyed it, but I'd still give it like a 4 or 5 out of 10.

Also, there's an item that doesn't show up at all in the single player campaign which, to me, is bullshit.
Where the fuck is the jetpack?

I don't think you meant blander than Quake 4, as that is both foolish and impossible.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
One thing's for sure though: Duke Nukem Forever made me jump on a Steam copy of Bulletstorm for $30-- I'm just craving more of the same kind of fun.

Divius

So yeah, I tried this game, played for a few hours. Then deleted it the FUCK of my harddrive. wtfisthisshit.jpg

Combichristoffersen

randomwab said:
Bulletstorm does this, and does it better. It also has better gameplay, level design, and more relevant humour in the same vein as what Duke is trying for.

I looked into Bulletstorm, but there's no PC demo (unless they've released one somewhat recently), and I'm not interested in playing it with dual twaddlesticks on my PS3 :p Besides, Bulletstorm just looked too dumb for me :lol

Danny Dudekisser

Badabing said:
One thing's for sure though: Duke Nukem Forever made me jump on a Steam copy of Bulletstorm for $30-- I'm just craving a game with the same kind of fun.

Good choice. Bulletstorm was amazing, and. I didn't even mind that it was $60 on pc after I played it.

Have you tried Singularity? It's quite good and feels kind of old school in many ways.

randomwab

I looked into Bulletstorm, but there's no PC demo (unless they've released one somewhat recently), and I'm not interested in playing it with dual twaddlesticks on my PS3 :p Besides, Bulletstorm just looked too dumb for me :lol

If you're enjoying Duke, then by god, buy Bulletstorm. Seriously, you will not regret it.

Combichristoffersen

Neuromancer said:
Have you tried Singularity? It's quite good and feels kind of old school in many ways.

Haven't had the chance to do so, no. Is there a PC demo available?

randomwab said:
If you're enjoying Duke, then by god, buy Bulletstorm. Seriously, you will not regret it.

Hmmm. I'll give it another look, at least.

eXistor

This is the perfect game to ignore reviews over. I'm liking the game a lot myself. The only things I really don't like in this game are the linear levels (I want small-ish non-linear levels like Duke 3D) and that stupid 2-weapon limit. Also running in this game blows, this also needs to be the way it was back in the day.

Other than that: the Duke himself is great and remains intact no matter how crappy his game might be. The gunplay is decent to good and the levels are very diverse (the stripclub was awesome and more like how I want the rest of the game to be, only bigger of course). It's nothing special (except for the Duke himself) and Gearbox will have to step their game up if they want Duke Nukem to truly be forever, but as it stands is a fun game. Come in with the right and realistic expectations and you'll have a blast.

randomwab said:

The comparisons to 'the club' gave me the fear on that one, i never want to play another game like that.

Looked pretty decent otherwise though.

Danny Dudekisser

TomJoadsGhost said:
The comparisons to 'the club' gave me the fear on that one, i never want to play another game like that.

Looked pretty decent otherwise though.

Bulletstorm is one of the best fps games Ive ever played, and I fucking hated everything about The Club. That was one of the least satisfying, worst designed shooters ever.

Haven't had the chance to do so, no. Is there a PC demo available?

Hmmm. I'll give it another look, at least.
I don't think any demo ever came out, for any system, but the full version has got to be dirt cheap by now. Based on the games you listed I think you'd dig it.

ElRenoRaven

There is on Steam. I know cause I tried the demo.

dimb

Kruhex said:
How many FPS games today have cool/interesting guns and interesting enemy/monster designs? This is what early shooters had which doesn't exist today really. It's just pure fun to me.
I just don't know what DNF game you played that had those things.

There are literally like 5 enemy types in this game. You have the Octobrain, Pigcops, jetpack/teleport alien, hover fat alien, and walking fat alien.

The weapons aren't even really that crazy either. You have the pistol, the shotgun, the machine gun, the RPG, the railgun/sniper, the double rocket launcher, homing rockets, and grenades/tripmines. The only unusual weapons are the Freeze Ray (which sucks) and the Shrink Ray (which also isn't great in combat). Both of these are pretty rare, and have no effect on larger enemies/bosses. Stuff like Resistance/Ratchet and Clank/Bulletstorm go way off the map with weapons compared to Duke. Even stuff like Gears of War has a more diverse weapon set that's actually useful with mortars and bows.

eXistor said:
This is the perfect game to ignore reviews over. I'm liking the game a lot myself. The only things I really don't like in this game are the linear levels (I want small-ish non-linear levels like Duke 3D) and that stupid 2-weapon limit. Also running in this game blows, this also needs to be the way it was back in the day.

Other than that: the Duke himself is great and remains intact no matter how crappy his game might be. The gunplay is decent to good and the levels are very diverse (the stripclub was awesome and more like how I want the rest of the game to be, only bigger of course). It's nothing special (except for the Duke himself) and Gearbox will have to step their game up if they want Duke Nukem to truly be forever, but as it stands is a fun game. Come in with the right and realistic expectations and you'll have a blast.

this

Cool, i'll give bulletstorm a go then.

Am enjoying duke, playing on Ps3 and so *far* havent really hit any problems other than the loading times, after some of what i've heard i was half expecting this to be flawed on a 'enter the matrix' or 'angel of darkness' scale, im not terribly far in so i feel kind of nervous about having said anything though.

DryvBy

Gvaz said:
I usually don't agree with critic reviews but I am for once. I have no idea why this juvenile game was released in 2011 :\

The problem is you keep buying gum. You need to run out of gum. Then you'll get sum.

Gvaz

Banned
As for the price, I refuse to buy games at $60. I don't care if "games were more expensive years ago" the fact is that most of these games now, and certainly not then weren't worth that much.

Too many games are $60 when you actually go to play them you get $20 content.

Like I liked bulletstorm for what it was, but it's a $20 game imo.

I haven't played it, but I'm finding the sub-5/10 reviews quite refreshing if it's as bad as everyone says. Usually a game that I hear is this bad gets 6 or 7.

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Is all Gearbox did was basically tie the game together and finish it up after buying the IP?

They didn't even do that. Triptych basically patched it together and finished development while Gearbox just supervised. Pirahana did the PS3 and Xbox 360 ports as well as the multiplayer component.

Chacranajxy said:
Bulletstorm is one of the best fps games Ive ever played, and I fucking hated everything about The Club. That was one of the least satisfying, worst designed shooters ever.

I actually enjoyed the club, if you took the time to learn the game it was really enjoyable. Bulletstorm is nothing like it thought and I would also second in picking it up.

luka said:
Oh shiiiit. Moral outrage over Duke Nukem! The more things change...

While I love the game I generally agree with scores in the 5-7 range (not using the IGN scale where 5 is 'worst game ever made'), but I took nothing away from this review other than "the game is old therefore it is bad."

I think the technical aspects are its biggest downfalls and the later parts of the game are pretty uneven and clearly not finished. The entire game is very barebones in fact. At best it's an average FPS elevated by Duke's presence and at worst it's well below the bar that has been set this gen for good to great games. Under no circumstances does it live up to its pedigree.

Here's hoping it does well enough for a proper sequel to be made without Broussard going anywhere near it.

ArjanN

randomwab said:

While I kind of agree, it's not exactly like there's a ton of this type of dumb fun FPS.

DryvBy

Prime crotch said:
"Duke we'll get the weight off in a week, we swear!"
They are apologetic over the whole ordeal, that's part of the joke and how about a quick jab at abortion as well. The joke is the dumb blondes got raped and pregnant, and now they're sorry, isnt that hilarious?! No it isnt.

Actually, it is. I tease my wife all the time about knocking her up and performing a 'fist to the belly' abortion. The thing is: I'm against abortion and definitly hitting women. But offensive humor, even if I don't like it, is funny. Some people don't "get it". And that's fine. So here's how you fight it... get ready for this genius idea...just don't buy the game.

There's several movies I've seen that make a light joke about suicide. Another thing in real life I wouldn't approve of. But I always seperate reality from fiction.

So quit being a giant hippie about things and enjoy life. No one was hurt in the production of Duke Nukem Forever. Except shareholders.

Finished it on hard, using the golen pistol the whole way last night on PC.

Enjoyed it for what it was, but it started to go downhill quite a bit once you got past Duke Burger (which was awesome btw). The levels got a bit meh, and aside from a few cool ideas not much happens in the final third. It sorta blew it's load creatively early on tbh. I thought the combat was pretty solid overall and it's nice to have a bunch of boss battles in a FPS for the first time in forever. And it did make me laugh out loud twice, which is rare for a game to do.

It's not a great game, but I didn't think it was terrible either.

Hopefully if they do make another, gearbox actually makes it.

Top Bottom