• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

Klyka said:
True, but making a new game also means new people will get to play it and those people need to be MADE INTO fans!
That's an even more worrisome prospect. Also doubtful, given the quality of the product itself.

geebee said:
I think you're taking it all a bit too seriously. Everyone knows the character is one bad joke/parody of American tough guy stereotypes. Nobody plays them to be educated or enlightened.
It's not even a parody anymore, it's a jerking off and glorification. Also, it's precisely because it's a joke that the scene bothers me.

Klyka

Banned
Prime crotch said:
That's an even more worrisome prospect. Also doubtful, given the quality of the product itself.

Remember, we are talking about a game which was supposed to be out years ago.
Talking about what the game IS today and what it was supposed to be, are two separate things.

Klyka said:
Remember, we are talking about a game which was supposed to be out years ago.
Talking about what the game IS today and what it was supposed to be, are two separate things.
It's disapointing in both regards though, it plays like a mid 2000's fps, sure does it's best to look like one too, and doesnt even play like the title that made it famous.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
abracadaver said:
is there any info about what george broussard thinks of this game ?

He probably thinks it needed a few more years of polish... And maybe an extra level here and there... and, ooh, that whip thing from Bulletstorm looks cool, and portals, yeah, it should've had a shitload of portals, and a whooole lot of free running

McNum

Prime crotch said:
How pissed can he really be after dropping that iceburn right before their gruesome death.

Also, guts? What is gutsy about pulling yet another edgy joke, I guess after a lot of outdated ones it might look so.
It's the tone that is problematic. The pod women in Duke3D were always a creepy element, but they never got into a scripted joke routine.
You're misinterpreting what I say. When I say "guts" I mean it in the sense that video games have become brown and stale. In the world of Medal of Dutyfield and its ilk of dull military shooters. I mean, the last thing video games did that was even slightly offensive was likely the No Russian level of MW2. But even that was kind of blown up, as it's possible to kill civilians in a lot of games. MW2 just got singled out.

Duke Nukem Forever, however, runs into what it knows will be a shitstorm and doesn't blink. It is blatantly offensive, kind of stupid, and breaks taboos like pigcop skulls. I mean, we KNOW what'll happen once Fox News gets a look at this. 2K Games probably know, too. There's a storm brewing, and its name is Duke Nukem Forever. And THAT, I am looking forward to.

There's that saying: "I don't like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." I'm also offended by some of the things Duke Nukem Forever is saying, but it has every right to say so. To be offensive. And I kind of like being offended about a video game. More games should dare being offensive, although possibly with different topics, too.

That and I like the gameplay. Fun weapons, good enemies, and creative levels. That, at least, Duke Nukem Forever gets absolutely right.

jgminto

Prime crotch said:
It's not even a parody anymore, it's a jerking off and glorification. Also, it's precisely because it's a joke that the scene bothers me.
Of course it's still a parody but a parody more famous than the source material. The impregnation is nothing new and it makes sense in the game but they went too serious. If the level was more ridiculous there wouldn't be a problem it's just that it didn't really fit. I think you're overreacting somewhat.

You're overestimating Duke's brand awareness to think that FOX news will care about this. Plus they would go after the blowjob scene rather.
We shouldn't celebrate the apologetic nature of rape since it happens already far too often in the real world, nothing gutsy about that.
Also, there have been mainstream games that have already done things far more "gutsy", whether they were good games as well is another thing.

jgminto said:
Of course it's still a parody but a parody more famous than the source material. The impregnation is nothing new and it makes sense in the game but they went too serious. If the level was more ridiculous there wouldn't be a problem it's just that it didn't really fit. I think you're overreacting somewhat.
How is it subvertive in any kind of way? It really isn't a parody, it's an overblown celebration of what should make it laughable.

Wessiej

Wow, it seems that The Duke has the worst fanboys ever. You guys are defending this game like it's your own mother...come on, the game is not really good, you only want it to be good.

GABDEG

Man, this game is MUCH BETTER than I thought after the demo and the first couple of levels. Makes me think back to the times where shooters would have something new and cool in every level or area instead of being one long scripted action sequence.

jgminto

Prime crotch said:
How is it subvertive in any kind of way? It really isn't a parody, it's an overblown celebration of what should make it laughable.
The whole level is basically Alien through a misogynistic filter.

Wessiej said:
Wow, it seems that The Duke has the worst fanboys ever. You guys are defending this game like it's your own mother...come on, the game is not really good, you only want it to be good.
The game isn't great. The levels are linear, the graphics are dated and the framerate can be terrible but it's fun. The humour really makes the game. And the combat isn't bad too.

McNum

Prime crotch said:
You're overestimating Duke's brand awareness to think that FOX news will care about this. Plus they would go after the blowjob scene rather.
We shouldn't celebrate the apologetic nature of rape since it happens already far too often in the real world, nothing gutsy about that.
Also, there have been mainstream games that have already done things far more "gutsy", whether they were good games as well is another thing.
Uh, what? You're not making sense, or did we play different games?

The joke was that the Holsom twins are stupid which was carried on from the very beginning of the game. The rest of The Hive chapter wasn't even remotely funny. There's a reason that the level is followed up by a lighthearted breather level, you know. The Hive is very dark, even for Duke. It's not so much a parody as it takes a stupid cliche and plays it painfully straight.

clockpunk

Wessiej said:

All of that is in YOUR opinion, of course

Regarding the graphical fidelity, I personally don't care so long as the overall experience is fun. And it is this aspect that should be the paramount, number one, primary concern for ANY game. DNF is a hell of a lot of fun, in my opinion, and therefore a success.

By subjective reasoning, surely you must concede that the reverse is also true. That others must be criticising it harshly because they WANT it to fail, for some reason.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
What would be the fun in playing a Duke game that wasn't overtly offensive? Manhattan Project, even if it was a decent game in itself, wasn't a particularly fun game, largely due to it being completely inoffensive. Unless you consider shooting aliens in the face to be offensive.

Wessiej

clockpunk said:
All of that is in YOUR opinion, of course

Regarding the graphical fidelity, I personally don't care so long as the overall experience is fun. And it is this aspect that should be the paramount, number one, primary concern for ANY game. DNF is a hell of a lot of fun, in my opinion, and therefore a success.

By subjective reasoning, surely you must concede that the reverse is also true. That others must be criticising it harshly because they WANT it to fail, for some reason.
No not really, wanted this game, played it at work for a couple of hours. I really disliked it. Then I come in here and see everybody flaming eachother and capslocking away, my gawd.

Pooya

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-12-duke-nukem-forever-review?page=3

3/10

This is a game that only works when considered in isolation, and even then any praise must come laden with caveats. But Duke Nukem Forever does not exist in a bubble. It shares shelf space with far more worthy rivals, and competes for our affections with games that have done far more in far less time. Nostalgia only gets you so far, and in Duke's case, it's not far enough.

In the end, you feel every year of Duke Nukem Forever's ridiculous, fractured development seeping out of each unsatisfying frame. With four studios sharing title space in the opening animation, and end credits which run for almost 10 minutes, the weight of so many false starts, dead ends and endlessly revised design documents proves too much. For all his muscle and bravado, Duke Nukem is actually a fragile creature. His legacy is based on a specific combination of time and technology and a mercurial element of fun that simply doesn't lend itself to repetition, especially after so long in limbo.

The appeal of Duke Nukem lives on. But your time and money would be better spent reliving his iconic past than bearing witness to this gruesomely mangled resurrection.

Wessiej said:
No not really, wanted this game, played it at work for a couple of hours. I really disliked it. Then I come in here and see everybody flaming eachother and capslocking away, my gawd.
Soccer is really stupid, it's just a bunch of running, and anyone who watches it is wasting their time and is obviously a moron.

Pro-tip: Telling people how they feel or what they're thinking is an express ticket to Douchebagvile.

I like soccer and don't think you're a moron but cut that shit out.

McNum said:
Uh, what? You're not making sense, or did we play different games?

The joke was that the Holsom twins are stupid which was carried on from the very beginning of the game. The rest of The Hive chapter wasn't even remotely funny. There's a reason that the level is followed up by a lighthearted breather level, you know. The Hive is very dark, even for Duke. It's not so much a parody as it takes a stupid cliche and plays it painfully straight.

"Duke we'll get the weight off in a week, we swear!"
They are apologetic over the whole ordeal, that's part of the joke and how about a quick jab at abortion as well. The joke is the dumb blondes got raped and pregnant, and now they're sorry, isnt that hilarious?! No it isnt.

jgminto said:
The whole level is basically Alien through a misogynistic filter.
The whole game is seen through a misogynistic filter that you can't remove or is it even questioned.

Combichristoffersen said:
What would be the fun in playing a Duke game that wasn't overtly offensive? Manhattan Project, even if it was a decent game in itself, wasn't a particularly fun game, largely due to it being completely inoffensive. Unless you consider shooting aliens in the face to be offensive.
Duke3D was fun despite Duke's "charm", how about making a fun game for once, thats a neat idea.

Riposte

In 1996, Stallone and Schwarzenegger were on the wane, so Duke's beefcake eighties action movie clichés carried some satirical weight. In 2011, he's a parody of something that no longer exists

Kind of funny. Nowadays a solid number of action movies star lightweight metrosexuals like Dicapiro. Maybe Final Fantasy is the Duke Nukem of the current generation?

jgminto

Prime crotch said:
The whole game is seen through a misogynistic filter that you can't remove or is it even questioned.
And that is the point of Duke Nukem. He is supposed to be a cheesy, sexist asshole. That's what makes him such an iconic character.

Zenith

Banned
You know a game is outdated when it makes a reference to Christian Bale's T4 rant.

The game it reminds me most of is Legendary: The Box.

Riposte

Prime crotch said:
Hail to the King Baby!

Would someone PLEASE think of the pretend-women?

Zenith said:
You know a game is outdated when it makes a reference to Christian Bale's T4 rant.

The game it reminds me most of is Legendary: The Box.

On the bright side, that makes it as outdated as any other pop culture obsessed piece of medium.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Prime crotch said:
Duke3D was fun despite Duke's "charm", how about making a fun game for once, thats a neat idea.

Would Duke 3D have been fun without Duke's attitude? Sure. But his attitude and the game's general 'don't give a fuck if you're offended, attitude made the game way more entertaining than it would've been without the attitude, at least to me. Same goes for the original Blood, the game wouldn't have been half as fun if it wasn't so ridiculously violent, and Caleb wasn't a sociopath.

GABDEG

jgminto said:
Has anyone got the Balls of Steel pinball Achievement yet? Goddamn, why do I have to suck at pinball?
I get like 50.000 points max. One time I got over 100.000 and managed to get the ball stuck lol

jgminto

I'm suprised how many people don't know how to get to the ripper/jetpack/steriods on the Hollywood multiplayer map.

crayman

Stitch said:
The Devastator can hold 69 rockets...

Ack, sorry. It was the RPG, which is 5 rockets down from the 50 in Duke 3d. Result is the same, constant having to run out of cover for more ammo.

I will play this game as a retro backlog title I pretend I had waiting on the shelf for many years , not at full price though but whats another couple of month's on twelve years .

Hail to the King !

Domstercool

I thought the whole "Duke we'll get the weight off in a week, we swear!" was a line to lose baby fat after giving birth, like you see in all those celeb mags when they take pics of celebs that have lost their weight after giving birth.

Since having an abortion so early on surely wouldn't have added any fat. I never even thought of abortions. Does that make me stupid? :eek:

McNum

Domstercool said:
I thought the whole "Duke we'll get the weight off in a week, we swear!" was a line to lose baby fat after giving birth, like you see in all those celeb mags when they take pics of celebs that have lost their weight after giving birth.

Since having an abortion so early on surely wouldn't have added any fat. I never even thought of abortions. Does that make me stupid? :eek:
That's how I understood it, too. Hence why I said it's a "The Holsom twins are stupid" joke. Because if that's what's worrying them at that particular moment, they ARE pretty stupid.

Stitch

Gold Member
the stuff you get for completing the game is pretty cool.

old trailers and gameplay, screenshots, cheats, a timeline, artwork and a duke sound board
:D

Top Bottom