• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'm almost starting to think that Daikatana might actually be the better game.

I feel filthy just typing that.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Anticitizen One said:
Oh no you did'int

Daikatana had some nice level design and some cool and unique weapons; it also had a fairly meaty SP campaign that improved the further you progressed.

Also, John Romero > George Broussard.

Ha. Knowing that this game is the piece of shit that I perceived it to be upon its first showings makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Judging a book by its cover FTW.

ME FTW!

Did Not Finish FTL.

Riposte

DNF would get less heat if they sold it for 30 dollars or less.

Ben Kuchera is giving me douchechills. I am totally cool with him not liking the game(I don't like either), but he such a righteous blowhard. This game makes me feel dirty! Oh my, these backwards hateful jokes about women!

Neuromancer said:
This game has been in development for 14 years and finally just now came out. How can you possibly not look at in a different light?

I think this has been answered already. You don't see the problem with judging a game's PR or trivia instead of its quality? Duke Nukem Forever is just a videogame, not something sacred. If you see DNF as something sacred then you are poorly equipped to analyze it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
mickcenary said:
Ha. Knowing that this game is the piece of shit that I perceived it to be upon its first showings makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Judging a book by its cover FTW.

ME FTW!

Did Not Finish FTL.

A game 15 years in the making that put it's developer out of business and was slapdashed together by a completely different developer isn't good? Wow Nostradumbass tell us more!

Riposte

Choc said:
ok

fair point :)

what i meant was in general the stories etc are trying to be more mature, maybe not gaming itself ;)

I think using videogames for posturing is characteristic of immaturity(and shame), which is much worse than a game's story being "immature".

(Anyone should be able to understand why an "immature" story is beneficial - no baggage, willing to sacrifice superficial features for mechanical ones. On the other hand, a serious, mature storyline can seem like a waste of effort most of the time because it can lead to a lot of baggage and never divorces the fact you are flipping a thumbstick to make beep-boops and pretending to be someone else in a fake world.)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Choc said:
it has been stated many times that the default disc 2K is sending out is Xbox 360 promos

Insane. Sending out review copies of the absolute worst version of your multiplat game is practically begging for your game to be slaughtered by reviewers :lol

Choc said:
society has moved on from sexism in video gaming and stuff like aliens raping women, gaming has grown up and matured

We have moved on to shooting space nazis in the face or sawing aliens in half with chainsaw guns. Maturity indeed :p

Symphonic

What's GAF's general consensus on the multiplayer? I've been having a ton of fun with it, more so than the singleplayer campaign. Reminds me a lot of Quake Arena.

randomwab

jizzlobber said:
I think I see a pattern

if you're easily offended, it sux
if you aren't easily offended, it's fun

You know it was a long time in development when gamers are either from a different generation or have simply forgotten what to expect from a duke nukem game.

It's a fun game, I think the enemy encounters are so much better than most shooters, challenging with some good variety.
a lot more stimulating than the boring baddies in games like killzone, prey, cod etc

There's just so much wrong with this post. You say that gamers are from a different generation and have forgot what to expect from Duke? So where's the open levels, the variety in weapons and enemies, and the fun and fast paced gameplay? Oh wait, sorry. We should only expect pissing out a Duke dick and lines from 80s action movies from Duke. So sorry, they got that shit down with this.

I admit, I think the reviews are focusing on the humour and how it offends and I think they're giving way too much time to that aspect. For me, it doesn't offend. It's just fucking lame. It's 2011; taking lines from the Evil Dead's Ash and every John Carpenter film just seems horribly lazy and dated. And when they can't back it up with gameplay, then the whole game is just a bizarre amalgamation of dated humour, the worst parts of old shooters and the worst parts of new shooters.

A lot has happened since Duke 3D. Think of the games that have come between these two titles. Every GTA, every Halo, every Valve game. First person shooters have evolved with titles like Deus Ex and System Shock 2 and then devolved with titles like CoD. Within this one genre, we have so much variety. There is no place for Duke today. He's a relic from the 90s. All his rivals either had to evolve to stay relevant or they died trying, and the latter seems to be what's happening with Duke.

The irony of all this is I don't really care at all about Duke Nukem Forever. I played through it and thought it was bad. I replayed some Duke 3D and it still holds up. I just don't like seeing people bitch about the reviews being unfair. The game's still bad. We're in the middle of the usual GAF hyperbole right now, same way MGS4 was GAF's 2008 GotY and by 2009 everyone hated it. Give it six months and everyone will agree that Forever is a mess.

Balls of Fail.

vocab

loblaw said:
What's GAF's general consensus on the multiplayer? I've been having a ton of fun with it, more so than the singleplayer campaign. Reminds me a lot of Quake Arena.

Id say it is alright. It's a low tier DM game. The fact that someone made a DM game in the year 2011 blows my mind. I miss DM games so much. However, Quake Live is free, and a much better MP game.

Id still play the MP in DNF just to dominate. Mindless fun is always great.

dejay

Banned
Some of the ultra low scores for this game is a bit of a joke, compared to some games that get a five or six. Every year a game comes along that the gaming press decides to shit on to prove that they're hard ass "journalists".

Anyway, I'm probably nearly finished. I heard the dam level is the last and I'm a bit into that. Yes it's stupid, purile, etc, but it's different and it's fun. Then again I liked Postal 2 (except for the rape mods). Hitting heads around with a shovel and having a shoot out with Gary Coleman was a surreal and slightly awesome experience.

Funnily enough Postal 2 and DNF seem to have exactly the same meta score at the moment. Hmmm.

Forkball

I know DNF is getting a lot of bad reviews, but this game actually came out. Kudos to everyone involved for pulling off that miracle.

IT sounds instead of who wanted the longest to play this game, the new honor will be who gets a used copy the cheapest. I'm glad I'm waiting still; I'll play it when it's dirt cheap just to play it but nothing I've seen makes me want to get it anytime soon.

[Nintex]

I believe in the original script leaked when 3DRealms got into troube, Duke had a sidekick named Bombshell and at some point in the game Duke would be kidnapped and she would replace him. I think they removed all the 'non-duke' levels in the game and made it a whole lot shorter in the progress.

Zomba13

loblaw said:
The multiplayer is damn awesome when you can play with no lag. Sadly that seems to be a rare occurrence :(

V_Ben

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I believe in the original script leaked when 3DRealms got into troube, Duke had a sidekick named Bombshell and at some point in the game Duke would be kidnapped and she would replace him. I think they removed all the 'non-duke' levels in the game and made it a whole lot shorter in the progress.

Or they removed Bombshell, and just stuck Duke in those levels.

bon

You would have to be a braindead neanderthal baby pig to like Duke Nukem in this day and age.

Just kidding this game is fun.

dalin80

Banned
The average game reviewer has been out of touch with actual gamers for about a decade now, most reviews are hyperbole riddled jokes.

Riposte

No hyperbole, no being righteous, and no highbrow pretensions: This game isn't really funny(it feels like anyone could write this. It doesn't try at all) nor it is really interesting. Had it been oldschool(outdated) I would have liked it much more, but it is as Call of Duty 4+ as you can get with some mini-games and simple puzzles thrown in and long periods of no fighting. Minimal exploration(not much of a reason to explore), slow movement+short sprint, two weapons limiting the few fun weapons, really simplistic application of health regen. The few cool concepts are executed pretty poorly, making you wish they were in another game. There is no deep, inaccessible set of mechanics to master that other reviewers just are not getting. I would give it a 2/6 at most, a 1/6 more likely.

(I wouldn't be surprised if a decent amount of 360 players who bought this at 60 dollars will swear off the brand(it being new to a large chuck), screwing Gearbox over on their newly acquired IP. It should have been so much cheaper. EDIT: I don't know how it is on the PS3, but it isn't really worth it on PC to begin with either.)

Chiggs said:
Daikatana had some nice level design and some cool and unique weapons; it also had a fairly meaty SP campaign that improved the further you progressed.

Also, John Romero > George Broussard.
do you want help making up your mind?

when Daikatana launched there was a glitch on the second to last level that made it almost impossible to finish. basically, if you have to reload (because say, you died) when your companions weren't with you, either one or both of them wouldn't show up when you were meant to be reunited and the next door wouldn't unlock.

that said, Daikatana had really fun multiplayer.

DNF i will decide if i like or not later today probably... but 'like' isn't really the interesting standard here. i'm not expecting something objectively fun, i'm expect something inherantly *fascinating*.

Combichristoffersen

Riposte said:
(I wouldn't be surprised if a decent amount of 360 players who bought this at 60 dollars will swear off the brand(it being new to a large chuck), screwing Gearbox over on their newly acquired IP. It should have been so much cheaper. EDIT: I don't know how it is on the PS3, but it isn't really worth it on PC to begin with either.)

It's slightly better on PS3, but playing FPS games on consoles are, 9 out of 10 times, fucking terrible regardless of what console you're on, as far as I'm concerned. The FPS genre just works so much better with mouse + keyboard.

Riposte

Combichristoffersen said:
It's slightly better on PS3, but playing FPS games on consoles are, 9 out of 10 times, fucking terrible regardless of what console you're on, as far as I'm concerned. The FPS genre just works so much better with mouse + keyboard.

Well, it is all relative. People who generally play shooters on consoles don't miss mouse and keyboard. But horrible performance for 60 dollar game will burn them.

Combichristoffersen

Riposte said:
Well, it is all relative. People who generally play shooters on consoles don't miss mouse and keyboard. But horrible performance for 60 dollar game will burn them.

They miss any modicum of good taste and sanity though

ZombieSupaStar said:
you know ive never actually tried Daikatana...
you can try the multiplayer for free, legally.

http://www.moddb.com/downloads/daikatana-dm-121-full

it includes all the official maps, the maps added by the patch, and the maps from the unofficial map pack (i worked on about half of those, under my previous alias Dr Foxy... they aren't very good, but one of them slowly floods as the game wears on, a gimmick which i hadn't seen before and haven't seen since).

but anyways ;)

Riposte said:
I think this has been answered already. You don't see the problem with judging a game's PR or trivia instead of its quality? Duke Nukem Forever is just a videogame, not something sacred. If you see DNF as something sacred then you are poorly equipped to analyze it.
I never said it was sacred. I think you're going out of your way to be deliberately obtuse.

Forkball said:
I know DNF is getting a lot of bad reviews, but this game actually came out. Kudos to everyone involved for pulling off that miracle.
Great post, the game being released is a real achievement here.

Owensboro said:
Do yourself a favor and don't. Either A) Watch the Let's Play and laugh at someone else's pain (http://lparchive.org/Daikatana/) or B) buy a big bottle of whiskey to help you get through the game.
or just play the multiplayer, which is about as fast paced and vertical as deathmatch gets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDekX-2OJWI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9buU-_Vbqeo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1bXmdyjlJU

show some relatively high level play.

if DNF mp is fast paced and vertical like that, i will play it and enjoy it.

DryvBy

saunderez said:
And yet again another review that insults me whilst insulting the game.

Thanks Ars Technica! I'll be sure to read again in the future.

I'm fine with the game getting bad reviews, but what's with every second reviewer trying to insult fans of the game?

Lol, Ben is a white knight of all the white knights. I absolutely HATE his reviews. He has hated Duke Nukem since he wrote a "journalistic" preview about how Duke SLAPS women in the face. Go search that. He's a tard.

What happened to this world thought, when offensive humor is deemed as funny to only low-class mental patients? What would Al Bundy be in today's world?

Top Bottom