• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I just finished the campaign on Normal. I got the PC version, so I never rarely ran into the technical problems. I wouldn't say it was worth the whole $50, more like $30. I had a lot of fun with it, but the gameplay is very mediocre. I think I liked it more for the laughs, though a few levels were awesome. Duke Burger was the absolute best level. Any level that lets you take cover behind a can of beans is all right with me. Titty City was also perfect for just taking a break from all the action. It was probably one of the smarter decisions they made with the campaign. I had more fun playing air hockey than I did with some of the weaker levels. And of course there are plenty of boobs for those who want to see them in that level.

The lines were chuckle inducing most of the time, especially those that poked at different games.
"Aww, I hate valve puzzles"
had to be my favorite line of the whole game, because
he said it right as he was literally doing a puzzle involving moving pipes and a valve

Overall, I would give the PC version a 7/10. That score is for the SP, as I haven't touched the multiplayer yet. The only major downside was the weak mechanics. But I'd be damned to say if I didn't enjoy it. Also, all of the extras that are unlocked once you beat the game are gold. There are things such as
a Duke Soundboard, concept art, screenshots throughout the game's development, and a cheat menu
that can add some replay value.

DryvBy2 said:
More than likely a liar. Why would you not report this to the police but report it on a blog review of DNF?
Oh, you are a peach. She already said why she didn't do anything, because she thought it would hurt her career. Also in the back of her mind must have been the knowledge that she would be open to accusations that she's a liar, or retaliation in some other way, and it would make her life worse.

That happens ALL THE TIME. EVERY TIME. I can tell you that proving you've been discriminated against or harassed is very hard, and that the other side will use all of their legal team to make all sorts of claims about you and make you look like a bad person.

Also, sexual harassment is a civil case, not a criminal case so you do not report it to police.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Chiggs said:
And a good majority of reported sex crimes also turn out to be complete fabrications from women who are looking for revenge or attention.
This sounds like a sound, trustworthy statistic. Let me guess, you got it from some awesome Men's Rights website?

The multiplayer is pretty bad...it's similar to Quake only...bad. I love Quakes style of gameplay but...if I wanted to play that type of FPS I'd go play Quake which is still good to this day.

VinZuku

I'm three hours in so far and just lovin' the holy hell out of it! I knew I was playing something great as soon as I walked into the employee lounge at the beginning of the game and saw the garbage cans on the floor and the walls adjacent to them pockmarked with filth from where the employees presumably bank-shot their garbage into them. ANY game with that kind of attention to detail is just plain awesome in my book. Of course, not everybody's going to notice that sort of thing, especially when you've been subconsciously trained for the last decade to run through a level as quickly as humanly possible and just get to the next gun fight. I LOVE playing through games that allow me to take my time and look at/interact with the scenery. If that's a product of "old-fashioned" game design then I guess that makes me an old gaming coot.

DryvBy

Matthew Gallant said:
Oh, you are a peach. She already said why she didn't do anything, because she thought it would hurt her career. Also in the back of her mind must have been the knowledge that she would be open to accusations that she's a liar, or retaliation in some other way, and it would make her life worse.

That happens ALL THE TIME. EVERY TIME. I can tell you that proving you've been discriminated against or harassed is very hard, and that the other side will use all of their legal team to make all sorts of claims about you and make you look like a bad person.

Also, sexual harassment is a civil case, not a criminal case so you do not report it to police.

And you trust people on the internet? Lol. Hey, guess what. This is President Obama. You must believe me because I can't possible lie on the internet.

Until something is filed, there's no need to take some internet troll's word for it.

Chiggs said:
And a good majority of reported sex crimes also turn out to be complete fabrications from women who are looking for revenge or attention.

I think her claim is bogus.
Kinda sounds like you're the one looking for revenge or attention.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Chiggs said:

More than 50% of the reports are false?

Bro, I'm all about dominating women, but you're just making shit up.

Margalis

Banned
I like how a thread about Duke Nukem has turned into Duke Nukem supporters defending the game by showing their disdain for women.

A woman on a website said something that could potentially be false! This is extremely relevant!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Margalis said:
I like how a thread about Duke Nukem has turned into Duke Nukem supporters defending the game by showing their disdain for women.

Fight the good fight bros. Your arguments are extremely convincing. A woman on a website said something that could be false! This is extremely relevant!
Pretty much this. Whatever you do, don't give up that privilege!

DryvBy2 said:
Until something is filed, there's no need to take some internet troll's word for it.
Assuming that she's a liar is obviously the more correct attitude to have than assuming she's telling the truth, of course.

DryvBy

Matthew Gallant said:
Assuming that she's a liar is obviously the more correct attitude to have than assuming she's telling the truth, of course.

Well, she's on one of the most BS websites for gaming of all time telling a story about child perv ideas they had for Duke, and giving a sob story about how she was mistreated by "someone". Again, if there's NO proof whatsoever, why take her word for it? Just because she's a woman doesn't mean her story is true.

In other words, you think she isn't lying with no proof, but it's hard to believe she IS lying with no proof. Interesting...

**Side note: I'm not for women being abused at all. That's agaisnt everything I believe in. I'm also not for taking one person's word for something just because they're a woman. That too is against everyting I believe in.

XeroSauce

I dislike the game. But that doesn't matter, since I only played the demo.

I have some questions though:

Playtime?
Lag on consoles?
What do you guys have to say about the 2-weapon/health regen limit? It felt like Duke could only take a bullet or two before having to hide behind a box to heal.

BloodElfHunter said:
Ugh, 45 minutes in and its already the worst game I've played in a decade... but I must finish it... =\
yes. yes you must. however badly this turns out, i will drag myself through it. i have to. wish i could get out of here, get my copy and get installing...

I liked the RC car part but its pretty meh so far but i only spent $2.19 at red box so its all good

played multiplayer first and there was a guy already rank 20 lol, jeez

Edge said:
Duke Nukem Forever *is* an awkward botch of a game worth playing exactly once. Approach it as an archaeologist and there’s fun to be had sifting through compacted layers of design strata and increasingly elderly internet memes, in search of that single moment when everything started to go wrong.

that's why i'm playing it, and i'm looking forwards to the experience. anyone else?

mf.luder said:
Just began playing, it seems like a lot of game mechanics thrown at you at once.
Don't worry, they slow it down later with a 45 minute long sequence where you just punch and jump. Then one after that where you drive from one end of a level to another.

GrayFoxPL

animlboogy said:
And none of you are enjoying the multi? Duke multi was always kind of a mish-mash of a bunch of shit to play around with, and this game has that. I've already been shruken, froze, hit in the face while frozen and shattered, etc. etc. etc. It's not tournament ready, but when was Duke ever? I'm going to end up putting some time into it, as you don't get a multiplayer arena DM game every day.

I've been praising multiplayer, you missed that.

I'm at 16 lvl after 2 sessions and it's fucking awesome. Best multi experience since decades.

On PS3 it's very solid. Little to no lag, smooth, solid.

DryvBy

GrayFoxPL said:

I'm at 16 lvl after 2 sessions and it's fucking awesome. Best multi experience since decades.

Add me: DryvBy

I'll play with you and anyone else that wants to play. Getting mine on PS3 for now, and Duke 3D if the mod community grows.

AIRic

I must be crazy, but DNF might be my favorite FPS this year so far. It's so old school and different than everything out there that's it's feeling fresh and original. The humor is great, the gameplay throw you some great twists and the Ego boosting system is genius. The gunplay also feel great and that's very important to me. I can also say that while the polygonal count is weak, the sharp textures, special effects and design make for the rest. The level design is always better than expected. It's really a game that I take my time and enjoy everything the game offers.

I can't wait to play more DNF tonight. :D

GrayFoxPL

DryvBy2 said:
Add me: DryvBy

I'll play with you and anyone else that wants to play. Getting mine on PS3 for now, and Duke 3D if the mod community grows.

Will add, but you're US I'm EU the ping will be like 800ms.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Multiplayer is great. I have nothing else to add at this time.

(I wish the pistol was still fully automatic though :p)

GrayFoxPL

luka said:
Multiplayer is great. I have nothing else to add at this time.

(I wish the pistol was still fully automatic though :p)

Earlier it was a Glock now it's 1911. It's great. You never feel at zero chances to win a fire fight.

celebi23

I'm having a blast so far. Been playing for about 2 hours. I guess I lowered my expectations low enough. I'm enjoying it for what it is.

GrayFoxPL said:

I can't get into it. It's not very good. It feels like it wants to be Quake but it isn't. DN3D had better multiplayer too :/

Zenith

Banned
Beat it, finally. My most predominant feeling was one of boredom followed by relief when it was over.

The 2001 footage looked sick.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Really enjoying it thus far. It's a crusty old game, but it FEELS like a proper crusty old PC game. The PC roots are shining through in a big way. It really does feel like something I would have played back in 2001 or something. There is a surprising amount of variety thus far, contrary to what I had heard, and it they throw a lot of half finished ideas at the wall and let the player sort them out (which is very much an old school PC thing). It reminds me very much of games like SiN and, in fact, feels like a sequel to THAT game more than anything (I always felt that SiN was basically the first sequel to Duke 3D). In that sense, I feel like they cobbled together some of the ideas Valve implemented in Half-Life coupled with SiN and sprinkled with technology resembling Doom 3.

This is definitely not a game that should have hit the consoles. Aside from the fact that they botched the ports, this is really a game that should appeal to PC gamers from way back when. It's ragged around the edges but tries to deliver a good time in a big ridiculous way. The PC experience is good as well. Ultra quick loading screens and a smooth 60 fps make a world of difference.

My only major complaint -- the only one that messes with my expectations a bit -- is the pacing of the firefights. After playing through Half-Life 2 this weekend, taking down enemies in this game seems downright boneheaded. There's no real challenge.
Well, that's an odd comparison to make. I love HL2, but its fire fights were its weakest aspect. The gunplay in Half-Life 2 just wasn't very good. The enemies were mostly brain dead and guns lacked impact.

Zenith said:
Beat it, finally. My most predominant feeling was one of boredom followed by relief when it was over.

Seriously, they should have aborted this game years ago. What a piece of shit. Not surprised by the 3/10 reviews at all.

VinZuku

GrayFoxPL said:

I wholeheartedly agree! The multi is messy, dirty, and all over the place. MY DIGS is probably the best multiplayer idea to come along in quite a while. They took the Crib idea that 2K put into their basketball games, expanded it, added Duke's sensibilities and viola! AWESOME.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Nickoten said:
That's a pretty damning claim to make. Do you have any evidence?

Here's a good article to start on via Salon.com:

http://www.salon.com/news/1999/03/cov_10news.html

There was a thread in OT that discussed this very subject. Obviously, it's a fairly incendiary topic which inspires a plethora of kneejerk reactions--and its presence in a DNF thread is pretty hilarious.

Anyhow, at the risk of derailing this thread, I'll just say this: false rape allegations and sexual harassment charges are more common than you'd probably think.

And that girl's accusations are pathetic...at best.

Zenith said:

Yeah, if Broussard wasn't an idiot, we would have gotten a game in 98/99 followed by another in 2002/2003 and then another 2007/2008. Dude's a complete moron.

totowhoa

Banned
Chiggs said:

WTF?

WTF is this thread about? Is this related to the game? Damn, I picked the wrong page to come into this thread or GAF is imploding.

Riposte

Sklorenz said:
WTF?

WTF is this thread about? Is this related to the game? Damn, I picked the wrong page to come into this thread or GAF is imploding.

All I know we need to seriously shut the fuck up about a random comment off of a shitty ass site. For oh-so-important issues there is the Off-Topic forum isn't there?

Can anyone explain to me how Duke is more "oldschool" than say, Halo Reach or Halo 3?

Nickoten

Neo Member
Chiggs said:
Here's a good article to start on via Salon.com:

http://www.salon.com/news/1999/03/cov_10news.html

There was a thread in OT that discussed this very subject. Obviously, it's a fairly incendiary topic which inspires a plethora of kneejerk reactions--and its presence in a DNF thread is pretty hilarious.

Anyhow, at the risk of derailing this thread, I'll just say this: false rape allegations and sexual harassment charges are more common than you'd probably think.

And that girl's accusations are pathetic...at best.

I'm sure there are plenty of rape accusations that are falsely made. But what makes her accusations pathetic?

Top Bottom