• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

totowhoa

Banned
Riposte said:
All I know we need to seriously shut the fuck up about a random comment off of a shitty ass site. For oh-so-important issues there is the Off-Topic forum isn't there?

Yeah I finally caught up on what he was referring to. That doesn't make his slanted, ignorant, and flame-bait comment any better, though.

Anyway. I'm going to go back to lurking the impressions in this thread before some shit breaks out and I get caught up in it in some sort of rage-fit soon.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Nickoten said:
I'm sure there are plenty of rape accusations that are falsely made. But what makes her accusations pathetic?

The nature of her charges and the format she's presenting them on. It just reeks of attention-getting and it has all the makings of a smear job. Rape and sexual abuse are crimes of an utmost serious nature, and the way she's bringing her charges to the court of public opinion strikes me as very disingenuous and scummy.

It's entirely irresponsible.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
DevelopmentArrested said:
Seriously, they should have aborted this game years ago. What a piece of shit. Not surprised by the 3/10 reviews at all.
Yeah! Screw all the people who are actually enjoying this game. I don't like it so it should never have existed!

DryvBy

Chiggs said:
The nature of her charges and the format she's presenting them on. It just reeks of attention-getting and it has all the makings of a smear job. Rape and sexual abuse are crimes of an utmost serious nature, and the way she's bringing her charges to the court of public opinion strikes me as very disingenuous and scummy.

It's entirely irresponsible.

This is pretty much how I feel.

But now back to the game, what's the general feel of how long this game is? I'm seeing between 6-8 hours? Is there a ton of stuff to do in between, such as messing around with random crap? I know there's pinball and stuff but does each level contain something fun to do outside of shoot brains and pig cops?

Also, is there any multiplayer maps with goofy stuff to do? I remember back in Redneck Rampage, I used to just play the bowling game with my brother all the time. So many hidden gems in levels back then.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
DryvBy2 said:
This is pretty much how I feel.

But now back to the game, what's the general feel of how long this game is? I'm seeing between 6-8 hours? Is there a ton of stuff to do in between, such as messing around with random crap? I know there's pinball and stuff but does each level contain something fun to do outside of shoot brains and pig cops?

Also, is there any multiplayer maps with goofy stuff to do? I remember back in Redneck Rampage, I used to just play the bowling game with my brother all the time. So many hidden gems in levels back then.
First time through the game took me about 9-10 hours, and I was talking it pretty slow and trying to find all the ego boosters. There are lots of cool things to interact with and it's definitely fun the first time you play trying to figure out everything you can do. Air hockey is by far the most addictive minigame of the lot. Pinball is cool but the physics are really frustrating. I can't imagine myself breaking a million by anything other than sheer attrition and luck. My biggest complaint with level variety has to be that there are way too many overheating turret sections.

As for multiplayer...I just gotta say the SP would be a hundred times better if we got jetpacks there too. :(

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I have to say, the game is ugly, runs pretty bad, has terrible load times, is obviously dated. However, I can't say I'm not having fun with it.

saunderez

Marcellus Wallace said:
I have some credit at GS. So tempted to pick this up.
Just do it.....if you really hate it go and trade it back in. The games a lot of fun so you'll either enjoy it or at least know its not for you.

M.W.

saunderez said:
Just do it.....if you really hate it go and trade it back in. The games a lot of fun so you'll either enjoy it or at least know its not for you.
I don't think I'll hate it. It looks like fun to be honest. Old school fun.

So I've been playing for a couple hours, it's bad but it's not as bad as reviews are making it seem. Worst thing about it is the load times (playing on 360), they're pretty horrendous.

VVIS

Neo Member
Haven't played the game, probably will at some point.

The Ars Technica review pulled out the old school vs current LD poster.

Question to anyone: One of my favorite things about shooters in the 90's were the labyrinthian levels. It's something I thought they'd bring back for this game. Why wasn't this a major part of the game?? Even a Bioshock-like approach would be enough to satisfy the itch.

Chiggs said:
And a good majority of reported sex crimes also turn out to be complete fabrications from women who are looking for revenge or attention.
You sound like quite a catch.

luka said:
Yeah! Screw all the people who are actually enjoying this game. I don't like it so it should never have existed!
Some people like the Twilight movies; those films still should not exist.

New review! F from 1up. http://www.1up.com/reviews/duke-nukem-forever-review

saunderez

DevelopmentArrested said:
Some people like the Twilight movies; those films still should not exist.
Who are you to decide what people are allowed to enjoy? I think Twilight is a steaming pile of dog shit but I'm not so far up my own ass to think that it shouldn't exist just because I don't enjoy it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Neuromancer said:
So I've been playing for a couple hours, it's bad but it's not as bad as reviews are making it seem. Worst thing about it is the load times (playing on 360), they're pretty horrendous.
I'm enjoying it myself. Pc load times are literally like 4 seconds :D

GrayFoxPL

saunderez said:
Who are you to decide what people are allowed to enjoy? I think Twilight is a steaming pile of dog shit but I'm not so far up my own ass to think that it shouldn't exist just because I don't enjoy it.

Yeah. Same with some celebs. Everyone hates that Beiber kid and I never heard his song, because I don't give a shit and no one can force me to do. So why the hate?

QisTopTier said:
I'm enjoying it myself. Pc load times are literally like 4 seconds :D
Yeah yeah yeah rub it in why don't ya

cussing.gif

Nishastra

Banned
luka said:
First time through the game took me about 9-10 hours, and I was talking it pretty slow and trying to find all the ego boosters. There are lots of cool things to interact with and it's definitely fun the first time you play trying to figure out everything you can do. Air hockey is by far the most addictive minigame of the lot. Pinball is cool but the physics are really frustrating. I can't imagine myself breaking a million by anything other than sheer attrition and luck.
I found pinball nearly infuriating at the beginning of the game. Could barely break 20,000 points.

Nudging the machine regularly is all but required, and I find it a lot easier in the strip club because of the darker lighting. Easier to tell where things are, for me at least.

I'm still nowhere near a million points, though...

Also, I suck at air hockey just as much as I do in real life, so I guess it's a good representation :p

Gvaz

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
If only PC had more games I wanted to play :/ Imagine what PC ports of Uncharted 3 or God of War III would look like.
They would look godly on the PC but developers are jerks :(

VinZuku

Decado said:
I'm decidedly less interested after skimming the IGN review. They put shitty puzzles in a DN game? Not pleased >:

In all fairness, the original Duke game could be looked at as having puzzle elements too what with the key cards and the labyrinthian level structure. Duke's current puzzles feel more like Half-Life 2 lite. I'm personally enjoying the puzzle elements myself.

K701

Banned
Just bought this from greenman because of the cheap price. I'm probably gonna hate it since I've been burned out of FPS's for years and I hated the demo. But I feel this is just a piece of gaming history I have to own. I tried to resist, but I'm weak :(

Seagoon

Spoiler warning..

Can someone help me with the Battlelord fight on the Hoover dam level? I can get to the first quick time event (where you stab him with his horn) - but I'm finding it hard to down him a second time. His minigun has this freakish habit of bending fire around corners... I am playing on hard and have the RPG and a gun that fires homing blue rounds (the enforcer I think it is called?)

I can get him down to about half health, but cannot seem to find a good place to cover while still having access to ammunition.

Nishastra

Banned
Seagoon said:
Spoiler warning..

Can someone help me with the Battlelord fight on the Hoover dam level? I can get to the first quick time event (where you stab him with his horn) - but I'm finding it hard to down him a second time. His minigun has this freakish habit of bending fire around corners... I am playing on hard and have the RPG and a gun that fires homing blue rounds (the enforcer I think it is called?)

I can get him down to about half health, but cannot seem to find a good place to cover while still having access to ammunition.
I beat him with only tripmines and pipe bombs.

Near the beginning of the area, there's an explosives pile near some huge black thing to hide behind. He can never quite get around the thing and will probably just try to shoot you through it while you throw things over the top at him.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Seagoon said:
Spoiler warning..

Beer helps.

Kusagari

I completely understand how this game could get bad reviews. The fact that 99% of these bad reviews spend more time bashing Duke and the humor than the game itself is what makes me view the reviews themselves as a joke.

Yeah I'm pretty surprised at the backlash. I just played it for a bit and so far it's pretty much a 7/10 game for me. Nothing outstanding, nothing miserable. It's fun.

Vestal

Its hilarious how this game is getting reviewed.

Ive been playing for a good 7 hours now, and I am having a blast. It feels like Duke, plays like Duke.. Sure graphically it shows problems, but that shouldn't be the only reason to make or break the game.

Seda

Vestal said:
Its hilarious how this game is getting reviewed.

Ive been playing for a good 7 hours now, and I am having a blast. It feels like Duke, plays like Duke.. Sure graphically it shows problems, but that shouldn't be the only reason to make or break the game.

But Graphics make the game! Did you see how good BF3 looked at E3! GOTY!

sigh...sometimes people forget to ask the question "is it fun to play?"

Note: I'm not saying BF3 is not going to be a great game, it was just weird seeing so many people crown it because of the graphics....during a demo of a tank level....before any multiplayer or even gun-in-hand fps footage.

Top Bottom