• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

Riposte

animlboogy said:
Unless we're going with story. Even then, any proper critic of narrative should probably praise how unintrusive the thin, idiotic plot in Duke is compared to the pretentious non-stories of the Halo and Gears series.

Gears and Halo are pretentious?

Man, Defense Force mode stepping up to match the vitriol of the reviews.

EDIT: I really wish DNF was as dirty-funny as people polarize it be. I thought it was lazy and the most obvious humor you could come up with(like it wasn't written by a writer).

saunderez

Riposte said:
I dunno if I'd call Halo pretentious. It's pretty much just sci-fi Duke Nukem to me.

Only 1 man has the ability to save the entire world/galaxy/universe.

Master Chief is just less of a smart ass when he's doing it.

Riposte said:
I thought it was lazy and the most obvious humor you could come up with(like it wasn't written by a writer).

People say that about Family Guy. Guess what? It's still funny.

Riposte said:

Man, Defense Force mode stepping up to match the vitriol of the reviews.

EDIT: I really wish DNF was as dirty-funny as people polarize it be. I thought it was lazy and the most obvious humor you could come up with(like it wasn't written by a writer).
'Like it wasn't written by a writer'? Man that's some cutting edge insight there.

Riposte

Neuromancer said:
'Like it wasn't written by a writer'? Man that's some cutting edge insight there.

The implication being some random programmer who played Duke Nukem 3D might have written it. (Or matters as well had written it.)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Duke3D wasn't really funny or witty either. Like, at all. It just got a few chuckles out of the novelty of pop references because it was unconventional in shooters.

I'm just sayin'

saunderez

luka said:
Duke3D wasn't really funny or witty either. Like, at all. It just got a few chuckles out of the novelty of pop references because it was unconventional in shooters.

I'm just sayin'
That's precisely why it was funny. I never realised so many people hate pop culture.

luka said:

I'm just sayin'
Exactly and it's much a novelty now as it was back then

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow... wow! I thought this game was going to be pure dogshit after reading some of the reviews out there. I was rather enjoying the circus of hyperbolic hate that the "gaming press" seemed to be having with the game.

I got a chance to play the PC version at my friend's house today, and for the 1.5 hours or so I spent with it, I rather enjoyed the game. I really dislike Duke Nukem's persona, and was never really a huge fan of the original game, but this game plays quite a lot like those old shooters around the turn of the century, and I like it for that. I think the graphics are actually quite good in a lot of areas, too.

It definitely wasn't enough to get me to buy the game at $50, and I still really dislike Duke Nukem as a character, but I could totally see myself enjoying a playthrough of this. It was certainly refreshing to not have my hand held as I am lead down corridor after corridor like in most modern shooters.

Plissken

I've made it to the
Hive Queen
boss fight, and so far I don't get all the hate. Sure, it's not an amazing game, but it's not an "F" or "rampantly offensive". The multiplayer that I've played has been quite fun, reminds me of Unreal Tournament or Quake. Yes, the 2 weapon limit sucks, the levels are linear, and Duke's lines were old 5 years ago. Doesn't mean the game still isn't fun to play (on PC anyway, consoles sound like they got a bad port job).

If I had to rate the game at this point in my play through, I'd give it a solid 6/10. It's not bad, it's not good, it's just an average game that got way more hype than it should due to it's ridiculous history.

The best thing to come from this whole thing is that Gearbox now has the rights to the franchise, and can hopefully put out a superior product in a couple years, assuming this doesn't bomb and crush the Duke series once and for all.

zeelman

animlboogy said:
The RPS review even has a point-by-point breakdown of what the guy didn't like about it, but his tone is so much more about honesty than bombast that it still works, because everything is about the game, not just colorful, snarky imagery between vague whining.

I just read that, and it was a very well-written review. It pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game, and I haven't even finished it yet.

Havok

animlboogy said:
I feel like Halo and Gears behave as though there is storytelling, when there really isn't. They take all this time with elaborate cutscenes to not really tell you anything, and the games just sort of end on some vague plot point. Halo especially has these long-winded arguments between characters that barely mean anything.

And I fucking hope DNF wasn't written by a professional writer!
Halo has a pretty deep universe that's fleshed out by material outside the games. The story is there if you choose to seek it out, but they don't shove it in your face like a Metal Gear or whatever because they know that most people are just going to skip it anyway. Its definitely a weakness of the series, but those cutscenes do end up meaning a lot more if you're versed in the backstory.

Gears isn't really comparable, with a mostly vapid story to tie levels together.

Jintor said:
This is my first experience of severe gaf-reviewer dissonance.
there's more in the Alice thread if you're interested.

i don't know if it's nostalgia, or what. i haven't played enough of Duke yet to even think about grading it, but so far it reminds me of Sin Episodes Part 1, in good ways and bad ways.

i'm not regretting the purchase though.

FLEABttn

Banned
Just beat it. I love it. It has flaws but anything less than at worst a D/6/60% just seems like unjustified anger. Maybe the 360 version is shit but the PC version was a lot of fun.

VinZuku

Vestal said:
Just finished Duke burger..

One of the best FPS levels I have played in the last 15 years

I just finished it too and I agree. The mix of platforming and shooting was just about perfect. And some of the lines that girl's spewing in the background as your trying to save her are freaking hilarious. I've been playing Duke all day, on and off, multi and single, and it's a blast. Is it perfect? Hell no. Is it Game Informer F bad? Hell no. I think more than a few reviewers are reviewing Duke the character and not necessarily the game itself. The whole thing's an over the top parody of America's idea of the masculine ideal. The guy makes Charlie Sheen seem down to earth for crying out loud. Of course, if you don't get the joke and you REALLY want people to believe you're not advocating this sort of thing then yeah, you'll distance yourself from it by giving it an F. Those that aren't concerned with the way they might be perceived will just play it and enjoy themselves, laughing merrily all the way.

Ha, there's an update to the old "Doomed Space Marine" easter egg in this game.

The game is far from perfect but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Though, the boss battles I've encountered so far have all been terrible.

I just got to the
Dam Top
and am calling it a night. It's about a 6 or 6.5 or 3/5 so far. With higher production values this could easily be a 7 or an 8 game. It isn't amazing in any area but rarely stumbles either. The variety is unmatched and then some by any other shooter in recent memory. Length is good too; I would have beaten any CoD campaign by this time.

The strangest thing is how how much I'm enjoying the combat despite its simplicity. DNF frequently places the player in a small arena-type room and spawns in waves of enemies. As simple and mindless as it is, I really get a kick out of it. Not sure why, but no complaints here.

Aaron

animlboogy said:
Man, like you're saying: the story is ALIENS TAKE GIRLS. BLOW ALIENS UP GODDAMN IT AWW FUCK.
I so wish Duke Nukem Forever was this game, but it's not. It's chock full of some much other meaningless shit that detracts from the game more than it adds. And it's really damn ugly with the worst lighting I've seen in like a decade. At this point Serious Sam 3 is my only hope, and it's a slim hope considering SS2 was garbage.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Aaron said:
And it's really damn ugly with the worst lighting I've seen in like a decade. At this point Serious Sam 3 is my only hope, and it's a slim hope considering SS2 was garbage.
Considering the assets and animations were done in 2003-2004 and it's running on Unreal Engine 2, I think it looks pretty damn good.

Njuc4l.jpg

990A8l.jpg

zoF22l.jpg

Aaron

luka said:
Considering the assets and animations were done in 2003-2004 and it's running on Unreal Engine 2, I think it looks pretty damn good.
I wasn't really talking tech wise, but by aesthetics. I just hated how dismal everything came across. Like the art director was going through a messy divorce at the time or something that made him very depressed.

All the backlash and negativity toward this game confounds me...the game has been through development hell and back and people have been begging for it to be released for over a decade, then they finally get it and all they do is bitch. Were they expecting the next Halo or CoD? It is what it is, an average shooter with a cocky lead character and tits, but all this 2/10 stuff is nonsense, I'm sure if you liked Duke back then you'll probably like him now.

KareBear

luka said:

Njuc4l.jpg

990A8l.jpg

zoF22l.jpg

I have just been doing some research on this the assets and animations are almost all from 2007 onwards.

Jintor

But were they clamouring for DNF's release? Somewhere along the line it stopped being a game people were hyped about and became a vapourware punchline. "It's actually been completed" seems to be the prevailing feeling.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Aaron said:
I wasn't really talking tech wise, but by aesthetics. I just hated how dismal everything came across. Like the art director was going through a messy divorce at the time or something that made him very depressed.
Yeah I get this. It's actually my biggest complaint with the game. I mean your game is set in LAS VEGAS; have some night levels filled with glowing lights and neon signs! Flex that lighting engine! Instead everything is very drab and muted. Lady killer? Faded reds and greys. Vegas in ruin: brown and grey. Duke dome: brown and grey. Nevada desert: brown and grey (well, that can't be helped :p) Hoover dam: grey and grey. I was really looking forward to some colorful and atmospheric Vegas nights. Only the stripclub and Duke burger give the palette any real variety.

I'm hoping the rumored 15 level DLC campaign is more in line with the aesthetics of the early 2003/2006 footage.

Belfast

Let's not forget Bulletstorm came out this year folks. While DNF is an interesting novelty (almost as if it were an HD remake of a game that *should* have come out years ago), Bulletstorm feels more like what a modern Duke game has the potential to be.

this is absolutely the worst thing ever

everything is bad! EVERYTHING! the shooting mechanics are so incredibly poor, load times are awful

duke sounds so weird and his character is completely irrelevant anymore.

this game is turning point fall of liberty bad

my favorite part was the janky pinball machine.

gearbox software and especially randy pitchford can completely fuck off.

Salsa

quinntendopower said:
gearbox software and especially randy pitchford can completely fuck off.

Getting the rights and completing the job on releasing one of the most long-awaited games in history and YOU dont like it?

FUCK THEM TO HELL!!!!!!!!

dustin

Neo Member
I've never seen reviews for really anything (game, cd, movie) to be so fucking hostile. It's like Pitchford and his team raped and murdered a family member of each and every reviewer and then set their pets on fire. The angst and pettiness these "journalists" project is really just sad and unprofessional. With all the venom and fury they're spitting, you'd think the piece in question would be some profound work questioning the human spirit, not an old-school shooter where you can throw poop at the wall.

markot

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Getting the rights and completing the job on releasing one of the most long-awaited games in history and YOU dont like it?

FUCK THEM TO HELL!!!!!!!!
Finishing a turd is finishing a turd. Better to have let Duke die with dignity than this.

saunderez

markot said:
Finishing a turd is finishing a turd. Better to have let Duke die with dignity than this.
Bullshit. Some of us enjoyed the game. And those that did definitely want more.

Animator said:
Hahahahaha duke defence force is hilarious.
Anti-Duke Defense Force is even more hilarious. Because it doesn't even have a reason to exist. If you don't like the game fine, just stop harping on about it.

Salsa

markot said:

Everyone wanted the game to come out, even you before you got a chance to play it (assuming you did, cause if you are calling it a turd just because of the "reviews" well...)
Gearbox did what the people wanted, the game was not designed by them. No reason for them to fuck off. Shit's getting ridiculous.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Yurt said:

I haven't even read the "bad" reviews of the game, and I think that that review is quite even handed and probably exactly how I would view it. I had fun with the game, but then again, I played the original Duke Nukem and this game did evoke some strange memories. This is distinct from RtCW or Doom 3, which did not reflect their originals in any significant way. No one can say it doesn't really live up to the original, because it does in every way.

Part of me believes the backlash is just from people who are a generation ahead or just out of touch with how gaming was back then, and another part of me believes it's possibly a bit of new age snobbery, with people loving all of these "high concept" games and not particularly liking a game based on basically some of the most hilariously bad stuff of the 90s. I'm not saying I fully believe that's what it is, because I haven't actually read the bad reviews (I am like an epic lurker on these forums though I play a shitton of games).

For my money Duke Nukem Forever is a somewhat serviceable if uninspired PC shooter that's really only compelling to play through as a piece of nerd history. You're literally walking through George Broussard's career suicide. This game sunk 3D Realms and nearly sank the series. As you progress through Forever's campaign you can literally spot the year that the section you're playing was inspired by based off of the mechanics, puzzles or dialogue. Halo, Half-Life 2, Metroid Prime, the four step profit jokes, a Leeroy Jenkins reference...it's kind of surreal.

It's an alright looking game considering the turbulent development history but the anti-aliasing and depth of field are terrible. The entire background of the game looks like it's smeared in vaseline. The gameplay is such a mish mash, it's got too many modern conventions mixed in poorly. The whole decision to only have two guns is annoying to no end. If Duke is supposed to be a one man army, he should have enough armaments for an army. It's annoying having to constantly hunt for replacement guns. The levels are tight and cramped, there's quick time events--which make absolutely no sense on pc, none, terrible idea mashing space bar every five steps in the beginning of the game--scripted events, even if they're brief there are far too many loading screens and all of the gameplay feels kind of disjointed. Like there's this collection of ideas from all sorts of different shooters but no guiding vision of what to do with all of them. Duke is almost a caricature of himself at this point, all of the Evil Dead, Ahnuld and John Carpenter one-liners kind of fall flat. The humor doesn't bother me, it's just kind of puerile and banal.

On one hand it's cool Gearbox got this out, on the other I kind of wish they did more than simply finish what 3D Realms started. There's hope for the future I guess, Gearbox has the IP, they're got a talented group down there, there's plenty of modern tropes to mine in the genre with all of the space marine and dudebro shooters. I'd love it if Duke took the piss out of some modern series ("MARIAAAAAAAAAAAA") and movies, although there's fewer action heroes to really mock in this era. That said, I think Bulletstorm does a better job of being what Duke Nukem 3D was, it doesn't take itself too seriously and it's got some stunning design and fantastic gameplay behind all of the crassness.

markot

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Everyone wanted the game to come out, even you before you got a chance to play it (assuming you did, cause if you are calling it a turd just because of the "reviews" well...)
Gearbox did what the people wanted, the game was not designed by them. No reason for them to fuck off. Shit's getting ridiculous.
No I didnt, not after it became clear it was a turd. Games dont take 10+ years because they are good.

Kusagari

I think the only thing Gearbox did wrong was release this at full price. I like the game but let's be real this game isn't worth 50/60 dollars. If they released it at 30/40 then the 'backlash' probably wouldn't be as bad.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
When I first saw that 2007 trailer and realized this game was still alive, I was thinking okay they probably just scrapped everything and are just starting over at this point, this isn't the "real" Duke Nukem Forever anymore. But it's fascinating how it seems like pretty much the same game they were making all the way back a decade ago. Like, I went back and looked at the really old trailer and even little details like the name of the hotel the game starts in was the same. It's crazy. Like they said on the bombcast, I wouldn't recommend this to someone who hadn't followed this game's history, but as a person who played and loved Duke 3D and was waiting ALL this time, it's pretty cool to finally be playing it and hearing this character's voice again.

Top Bottom