• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

saunderez

Seagoon said:
I think the gaming press has a lot of growing up to do. (Never thought I'd post that in a Duke Nukem thread...)
To me it seems like most of the gaming press are a bunch of cynics. I can't see how they'd possibly enjoy an episode of Family Guy or South Park with such a negative view of that type of humour. And you know what. That would suck.

I am having a blast as well. I never expected the game to be a masterpiece. I think the backlash is that people do not just "get" this game. I just want to shoot shit up, listen to potty humor, and bewbs. I am not looking for the pinnacle of first person shooters.

saunderez

Kusagari said:
The same people deriding Duke and saying 'gaming has grown up' are probably the ones who praise GTA4 and Heavy Rain's stories.
I wonder if the new Carmageddon will receive the same backlash.

Gvaz

Banned
loblaw said:
They seriously posted that on Twitter? What the fuck?
This is a common practice though, why are you surprised?

Just another reason to take critic reviews with a grain of salt and listen to your peers instead.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im gonna wait till i can grab this for like 10$ on amazon. Would get it for nostalgia value and thats it. Game seems garbage all around. Load times on consoles are retarded and deserve 0 points all their own.

Riposte

Kusagari said:
The same people deriding Duke and saying 'gaming has grown up' are probably the ones who praise GTA4 and Heavy Rain's stories.

This makes me cringe... but DNF still isn't a good game, or even an okay game.

I played Duke Nukem 3D in anticipation of this game just last week. Granted I am not done playing it, but from my three or so hours playing it I have no idea how people are saying it plays anything like DN3D. It's like they tossed out everything good from DN3D. Control is off, weapons are off, pacing is WAY off. Take out all Duke Nukem references in this game and no one would ever compare it to the classic FPS games of yesteryear.

Symphonic

Gvaz said:

Just another reason not to take critic reviews with a grain of salt and listen to your peers instead.

No, I realize that marketing groups do this and what not, but to post that sort of information on Twitter seems like publicity suicide.

zeelman

Gvaz said:

Just another reason not to take critic reviews with a grain of salt and listen to your peers instead.

That's what I have been doing. Game critics are just terrible writers. They don't even bother to play through games in their entirety, anyway.

LiK

twinturbo2 said:
1UP's review was really harsh, though. But this isn't going to end well.

Really? Maybe they only looked at the grade cuz the actual review isn't that harsh.

I raise you Destructoid's review:
The reality of Duke Nukem Forever is that it's absolute garbage that should have stayed confined to the bowels of Development Hell.

I almost feel like the reviews and publicity are so bad that it will help sales and the franchise as a whole. I saw a ton of people buying Duke at Eb Games today. Most of them said that they just wanted to see what it's all about.

If the reviews are overly harsh, people will realize that, and maybe develop an 'us vs them (the press)' mentality and really rally behind the franchise.

Gvaz

Banned
Kusagari said:
What's wrong with Heavy Rain's story? It's one of the better ones in terms of videogames anyways.

Choc

Banned
twinturbo2 said:

as someone who used to work in the games media, i'd read that and laugh and say well fuck you, its not my problem the game isn't good.

PR has no clue what to do at all, especially when its a third party PR like that company.

Gaming media in general won't give a crap about that. and 2K should and probably smack that company down for making it look like good reviews are required to continue to get games.

That tweet shows what is wrong with this industry in less than 140 characters, fucking bravo redner group.

Margalis

Banned
Complaining about mean-spirited reviews of a mean-spirited game seems a little silly.

It doesn't seem right to make a game that revels in being offensive then clutch pearls when it gets called out for it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Choc said:
as someone who used to work in the games media, i'd read that and laugh and say well fuck you, its not my problem the game isn't good.

PR has no clue what to do at all, especially when its a third party PR like that company.

Gaming media in general won't give a crap about that. and 2K should and probably smack that company down for making it look like good reviews are required to continue to get games.

That tweet shows what is wrong with this industry in less than 140 characters, fucking bravo redner group.
pretty damn much

Kusagari

Gvaz said:
What's wrong with Heavy Rain's story? It's one of the better ones in terms of videogames anyways.

The entire point of Heavy Rain was to be realistic yet it has numerous parts that would make Die Hard and 24 scoff at how ridiculous it is. That's not even mentioning how many plot holes it has. The only good thing about Heavy Rain is its unintentional comedy value.

Gvaz

Banned
Mean spirited reviews, what the fuck is this, White Knight Gaming?

I must defend the honor of Gearbox by making sure those review outlets don't get early copies next time around! *writes name down on list labeled "Naughty"*

loblaw said:
You do realize by support shit like that you're supporting controlled media, right?
I don't have a problem with bad scores (Lord knows this game isn't great) but when the reviews are openly hostile, I don't have a problem with this PR firm handling things differently next time. Respect is a two way street.

JABEE

Choc said:

At least shady dealings like this are out in the open.

Edit: Now you see the little fan sites coming out and saying "I liked your game." Someone should probably make a new thread for this news.

Sanic

I don't normally say things like this, but i'm really not sure what was going on with a lot of the reviews for this. I haven't played enough yet to form my own opinion, but a few outlets in particular unprofessionally tore the game apart.

Also, this Ben Kuchera from ars has been tweeting literally all day about DNF, seems he doesn't quite understand why people took issue with his piece.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This game is the definition of a high budget low budget game. It does nothing very well, but it's fun. No way does it deserve a 0% or anything close to it. The game has huge issues, but it seems like the reviewers had a target on it as soon as they could get their hands on it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Jintor said:
This is my first experience of severe gaf-reviewer dissonance.
I think DNF's appeal is to fans willing to overlook its numerous crushing faults and crippling design issues. In the hands of people just looking for a game and not a piece of history...it isn't going to fare well.

Xellos

Wow this game got slammed. Still, I'm looking forward to playing DNF tomorrow (PS3).

I watched the first half hour or so on youtube (beyond the stadium intro) and it didn't look that bad. I laughed
at the fart joke and Duke having to take that kid's picture so he would get off the throne.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
icQM6W.jpg

Eusis

Parch said:
Games with serious release delays raise a red flag. They usually end up looking like 5 year old games.
Applying that to DNF's development cycle actually speaks kind of positively for it.

Xellos said:
Wow this game got slammed. Still, I'm looking forward to playing DNF tomorrow (PS3).

I watched the first half hour or so on youtube (beyond the stadium intro) and it didn't look that bad.
It's not. But if you're a snarky games journalist itching to write the bitchiest review you can, this is like the Holy Grail.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'll take the non-existent "story" and crass humor over the trying too hard, rehashed, seen it all before story seen in most modern shooters. It's nice to play something different. "The aliens stole our women, let's blow them up" is so ridiculous in itself that it's hard not to love.

zeelman

Neuromancer said:
I don't have a problem with bad scores (Lord knows this game isn't great) but when the reviews are openly hostile, I don't have a problem with this PR firm handling things differently next time. Respect is a two way street.

I don't know what it is about game critics, but they don't seem to know how to word a negative review for a game without it sounding immature, obnoxious, and rude. I just read Destructoid's review of the game, and he sounds likes he's whining. There are ways to tell people you don't like something without whining about it.

Choc

Banned
i've just realised why 2k might be surprised

go read the previews everyone did based on the strip club trip they did in Vegas to show the game off in Feb

mostly glowing.

What the fuck changed? nothing i imagine. So yeah that does not help one iota

Top Bottom