• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

McNum

RyL said:
I just noticed, pretty much all the DNF lovers have pony/anime avatars ... quite hilarious if you ask me
My Little Duke Nukem. (Yes, there is fanart.)

Anyway, after replaying some of the levels, looking for the last Ego boosts, I'm still liking the game. It's flawed, but it's pretty fun. Some of these Ego boosts are really hard to find, though. There's one in The Hive that I have no clue on where to find.

What I hope Duke Nukem Forever does, though, is show Gearbox what works and what doesn't work with Duke and then make Duke Nukem 5. There's a great game hidden under all the flaws here, and if Gearbox looks at the feedback off Forever, then the next one could be great. No way Gearbox bought the Duke Nukem franchise just to release Forever.

ArjanN

tedtropy said:
Well they could at least try to be accurate with their references.
That's one doomed space engineer. ;)

Now that I checked on youtube he actually says: That's one dead space marine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ah, only played it on ps3 and no that game doesn't run at 60 fps AT ALL, it's weird in how it manages to bring nostalgia from the n64 days...as far as fps goes....and geometry too at times....
I hope DNF is better than that!
Or I'll need to get it just for cheap laugh.
It does hit 60 fps on PS3, but it slows down constantly making it seems really sluggish. On 360 at least, the game was mostly a solid 60 fps with slowdown really only cropping up when the physics kicked in.

Mael

dark10x said:
It does hit 60 fps on PS3, but it slows down constantly making it seems really sluggish. On 360 at least, the game was mostly a solid 60 fps with slowdown really only cropping up when the physics kicked in.

I've NEVER EVER seen it being smooth enough so as to say it is 60 fps.
Then again maybe I was too distracted by the constant WTF in the game...

Kydd BlaZe

Riposte said:
Not necessarily. They gave it a F. Metacritic is being metacritic.
Lol, yeah my bad. I was just skimming through the metacritic reviews and saw that 0 at the very bottom. I totally forgot that 1-Up reviews on a letter, grading scale.

RyL

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
I'll take the non-existent "story" and crass humor over the trying too hard, rehashed, seen it all before story seen in most modern shooters....

you just described DNF twice

the first 3 hours of the game and the tedious second half of the game

MDSLKTR said:
I got to the rc car part. So far I had more fun in this game than in the last 3 cod's combined. The ratings this game is getting by the neckbeard generation justify my decision to never read any single review. ever.

I would rather consider the DNF defence force with their anime/pony avatars neckbeards than anyone else... you know the ones who keep hugging their anime pillow day in day out

Solid07

Banned
Just got done playing DNF (PC) for 4 hours straight.

Good fuckin' game. Haven't played an entertaining FPS like this since forever. IT IS DUKE. That's what I expected and that's what I got... FINALLY!! FPS Games these days focus TOO much on Multiplayer that they forget about the CORE experience of it.

Gives me an incentive not to trust ANY reviews ever again!

DryvBy

Geez, after finally playing this last night, there's absolutely NO reason to say this game is a below average game. It's not "the best" or a masterpiece, but it's holding my attention. I'm playing on the PS3 and the only two complaints I have so far is the two weapon pick up (and having to hold down a button to pick up weapons - but makes sense with two weapons) and the load times are long.

Outside of that, I really don't see why people are taking a fat dump on this game. It seems they felt they were suppose to hate the game. But when I see a 3.0 being the average, that says something. Yet Kane & Lynch for PC on Gamespot gets a much higher score and I have yet (nor ANY of my friends) been able to play it due to crashing. No patch for it either.

"Journalism".

dark10x

Mael said:
I've NEVER EVER seen it being smooth enough so as to say it is 60 fps.
Then again maybe I was too distracted by the constant WTF in the game...
Oh, it is definitely 60 fps. The base framerate is 60 fps, but it drops constantly. The problem with the drops in that game is simply that it doesn't SKIP frames so things end up running in slow motion when it can't hold a framerate.

My reason for bringing it up, however, was simply to illustrate how bad the DNF console ports are.

Mael

dark10x said:
Oh, it is definitely 60 fps. The base framerate is 60 fps, but it drops constantly. The problem with the drops in that game is simply that it doesn't SKIP frames so things end up running in slow motion when it can't hold a framerate.

My reason for bringing it up, however, was simply to illustrate how bad the DNF console ports are.

Problem is I don't think I've seen the game running smoothly AT ALL, I mean it's a constant slideshow!
If DNF is as badly ported, I'll get it for cheap soon and enjoy the crap while it's still hot!

Owensboro

RyL said:
I would rather consider the DNF defence force with their anime/pony avatars neckbeards than anyone else... you know the ones who keep hugging their anime pillow day in day out

What the fuck is this shit? Why are you coming into a thread to insult the people who are actually enjoying a game? GTFO.

Crusader

Banned
So the bronies are endorsing Duke? That speaks spades in its favor for me.

Too bad I'm still waiting for my copy to come in from Amazon. :(

Platinum'd this today. And now my copy will be going on Amazon Marketplace, so that some other poor soul can suffer through it instead of me. What a steaming pile of manure. I loathe myself for actually paying £40 on this garbage. At least I'll get some of it back.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
MDSLKTR said:
I got to the rc car part. So far I had more fun in this game than in the last 3 cod's combined. The ratings this game is getting by the neckbeard generation justify my decision to never read any single review. ever.

I can agree that the game has some fun to offer, but it is more fun based on the remembrance of Duke 3d and feeling that nostalgia of the controls and the shooting for me.

You have to remember, reviews also look at more than fun. The game looks awful, has terrible animations, and the tech is very old.

I will enjoy it for what it is though, but so far I would agree with the 5's the game is getting.

Acquiescence said:
Platinum'd this today. And now my copy will be going on Amazon Marketplace, so that some other poor soul can suffer through it instead of me. What a steaming pile of manure. I loathe myself for actually paying £40 on this garbage. At least I'll get some of it back.
Wow, was it an easy 100%?

I'm hearing all these references to comments back and forth between the PR for this game and media/reviewers.

Does anybody have a link or something to the story. I need my daily dose of gaming drama. :D

Deadly Cyclone said:
Wow, was it an easy 100%?

Not at all, pretty much wholly because of Insane mode. It's very difficult, but solely on a cheap level, because the game mechanics are so half-arsed. No win feels genuine; playing on Insane is more dependent on luck rather than skill, and the difficulty spikes are incredibly unfair (turret section in Crash Course, the Octaking boss battle).

Symphonic

RyL said:

The fuck? You do realize you just proved their point completely, right?

Got this over Steam as a birthday gift. Loved Duke Nukem 3D back in my teenage days, and used to play the shit out of the 4 player co-op on the watered down N64 remake.

All I'll say is this - if you weren't a fan of the old games, don't bother with this. If you are too young to remember, or haven't played the old games - maybe don't bother with this. If you're a fan of old DN3D / 64 and can put up with old school design decisions and less than steller graphics - you will enjoy the hell out of this game. It's the definition of a guilty pleasure and a nostalgic gem that isn't after a new audience, nor interested in bringing Duke to a younger generation. It's a game for the fans, pure and simple. A dirty, crude, purile, bad joke ridden, mess - that's all the more loveable for it.

3 hrs in and I'm having a blast with this thing. (and as I'm playing on PC the load times are only around 10-15 seconds each and the graphics are tolerable).

Acquiescence said:

I don't understand why you would subject yourself to a game you don't enjoy for the achievements. Doesn't it end up making you more bitter?

dark10x

Acquiescence said:
Not at all, pretty much wholly because of Insane mode. It's very difficult, but solely on a cheap level, because the game mechanics are so half-arsed. No win feels genuine; playing on Insane is more dependent on luck rather than skill, and the difficulty spikes are incredibly unfair (turret section in Crash Course, the Octaking boss battle).
With those super lengthy load screens, how on earth did you manage to put up with that?

Jethro

Finished it yesterday, was a funny experience. Some annoying parts but nevertheless a good game. The end fight was very thrilling. Hopefully we don't have to wait another 14 Years for the Sequel.

malingenie said:
I don't understand why you would subject yourself to a game you don't enjoy for the achievements. Doesn't it end up making you more bitter?

I have something akin to OCD when it comes to trophies. I've never purchased anything for trophies, but once I have a new game I absolutely have to get the platinum for it. Don't interpret this as a boastful statement, because it really isn't meant to be, but currently I have a perfect trophy list, with every game either platinum'd or at 100%. Sometimes it's a good thing and enables me to see all a game has to offer while making the experience all the more rewarding: Mirror's Edge, LittleBigPlanet and Heavy Rain spring to mind. Sometimes I get a game like Duke Nukem Forever, where I have to grind my teeth and pull through somehow. One day I'll get that game that I won't be able to platinum no matter what. And I'll succumb to a nervous breakdown of sorts no doubt.

dark10x said:
With those super lengthy load screens, how on earth did you manage to put up with that?

Steely determination and patience worthy of a saint.

Zenith

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
Wouldn't go that far, Alpha Protocol actually did some things very well (best conversation/outcome system in any game) whereas Duke just has the nostalgia.

AP was awful in every respect, especially in convos. None of the choices ever matched up with the responses.

tiff

Banned
dark10x said:
The audience in love with Call of Duty, for instance, is probably going to hate this game.
I've found that the only real use for video game reviews is to represent this audience. They aren't going to be a useful resource for anything that isn't some big-budget overhyped AAA blockbuster.

Not that I'm saying DNF is a good game, mind you.

RyL said:
Neckbeard wars are my favorite part of video game message boards, really.

360 version here...I played up until Mighty Foot part...3 I think...where you drive till you run out of gas, get gas, repeat. Basically right before the demo area.

I found the early parts of the game incredibly boring and didn't really have much fun until when you first get the shotgun. Game seemed to pick up quite a bit when you hit Vegas. Not the complete turd I thought it was after playing the demo. I'm not sure why people keep calling this a throwback to the 90's fps though. It's clearly more from the post-Doom 3 2004-2006 FPS mold. Not the abysmal monstrosity reviews made it out to be but I feel like this is something I shouldn't have paid more than $30 for.

This whole experience is actually giving me a bit of deja vu from playing Daikatana upon it's release. Not unplayable but clearly a game released too late and probably would have only been in the 7 range had it released several years earlier.

I have found MP morbidly fun despite being incredibly laggy and running at sub 30fps all the time. I was actually kinda happy to see a server browser with pings too(Not that they actually matter. 50 ping feels more like 200). Unfortunately, unless I've been unlucky with choosing rooms, it looks like it doesn't cycle maps which means the rooms always die after a couple games. Weak.

Why do people keep insisting this plays anything like Duke Nukem 3D? It's like when all those reviewers said Quantum of Solace played like Goldeneye.

FrankGrimes.gif

strx said:
Why do people keep insisting this plays anything like Duke Nukem 3D? It's like when all those reviewers said Quantum of Solace played like Goldeneye.
Who's been saying that? Anyway on a micro level the weapons function more or less the same. The biggest difference is the level design and the weapon limit.

Yaska

Got the game today, and played up to The Crash Course. Been having fun so far. No idea why, but this game feels more fun to me than some of the newer CoD games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zenith said:
AP was awful in every respect, especially in convos. None of the choices ever matched up with the responses.

That's simply false. Give me an example.

Zenith

Banned
Zefah said:
That's simply false. Give me an example.

Seriously? Even Yahtzee made fun of it. Like when the psychotic ex-agent helps you out and later brags on your TV link how cool it was to gun down all those security guards, I picked "angry" thinking whatshisface'd tell him to fuck off. Instead he goes off on a completely different tangent about the mission objectives. Or any time you picked the "dossier" option. Or any time involving the spymaster and his mute bodyguard.

Talk about rose-tinted glasses. Don't be such a fanboy.

dark10x

strx said:
Who has said that?

Personally, I think it plays like a sequel to SiN more than anything (which I already felt was an unofficial sequel to Duke).

Rich!

Got back to England today, played on the game for a bit (after Steam FINALLY downloaded it).

I like it. It's shitty in some aspects, but pure fun in others. For £20, I really can't complain.

pakkit

Banned
Zenith said:
Seriously? Even Yahtzee made fun of it. Like when the psychotic ex-agent helps you out and later brags on your TV link how cool it was to gun down all those security guards, I picked "angry" thinking whatshisface'd tell him to fuck off. Instead he goes off on a completely different tangent about the mission objectives. Or any time you picked the "dossier" option. Or any time involving the spymaster and his mute bodyguard.

Talk about rose-tinted glasses. Don't be such a fanboy.
Mature!

I think AP had a great convo system. It didn't always match up, but every single dialogue tree game has that problem unless they type out everything you're going to say. It's strongest trait, however, was how interactive the gameworld was. For example, that conversation you're talking about with the crazy agent never happened in my game.

dark10x

Having issues in The Hive levels where the framerate appears to drop but FRAPS continues to report 60 fps. Saw this in the demo, but it's been pretty good thus far.

Settings have no effect on it other than switching to windowed mode. In window mode, it runs perfectly, but they max the resolution out at 1600x900 so I can't simply go to 1080p and enable overscan. :\

stuminus3

I don't understand all these reviews saying the game is "tedious" when so far it's probably the most varied FPS I've played in ages. Sure it's like a "greatest hits" of cool ideas that have already appeared in other games in the last decade or so, but it's no one trick pony.

Is it because it doesn't have a "stick to the wall in third person mode" button? Because I think it's because it doesn't have a "stick to the wall in third person mode" button.

Rich!

Another quick note, maybe it'll be interesting to some people here. I work in a rental store, and the majority of Duke Nukem Forever copies (from friday) came back today. I made sure to ask each customer what they thought of it. A couple of the guys who rented it were proper old school gamers, and went for it due to following it for 14 years and wanting to finally play it, whilst the others were people who were toddlers when it was first announced and got it 'because it looked cool'.

They all liked it. One guy absolutely loved it, although he said he couldnt get past the final stage (dunno which one, haven't got to it yet). EVERY SINGLE PERSON complained about the loading times. Every one. One guy said the graphics (and game engine) were utter shit, but it was good fun.

Obviously this is just a selection of 5 people out of an entire country, but it's funny how the reactions were compared to the reviews. These guys genuinely enjoyed it.

I'll continue to ask customers anyhow.

stuminus3

richisawesome said:
They all liked it. One guy absolutely loved it, although he said he couldnt get past the final stage (dunno which one, haven't got to it yet). EVERY SINGLE PERSON complained about the loading times. Every one. One guy said the graphics (and game engine) were utter shit, but it was good fun.
I hope your response was "you should have bought it on PC, dumbass" (preferably in a Duke voice). :p

Rich!

stuminus3 said:
I hope your response was "you should have bought it on PC, dumbass" (preferably in a Duke voice). :p

Almost.

My response was 'Ah, I didn't get any loading times. I've got it on the PC' - which is pretty much true. I see no difference with the loading times on DNF against those in Bulletstorm (both PC, obviously).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
stuminus3 said:
I don't understand all these reviews saying the game is "tedious" when so far it's probably the most varied FPS I've played in ages. Sure it's like a "greatest hits" of cool ideas that have already appeared in other games in the last decade or so, but it's no one trick pony.

Is it because it doesn't have a "stick to the wall in third person mode" button? Because I think it's because it doesn't have a "stick to the wall in third person mode" button.

I think "tedious" is coming from moments where you have to drag a ball around to open a door, or other such rather mundane activities. I, personally, didn't really mind them.

Rich!

GuardianE said:
I think "tedious" is coming from moments where you have to drag a ball around to open a door, or other such rather mundane activities. I, personally, didn't really mind them.

So far, I've found it no different to Half Life 2. And I love HL2.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
richisawesome said:
Almost.

My response was 'Ah, I didn't get any loading times. I've got it on the PC' - which is pretty much true. I see no difference with the loading times on DNF against those in Bulletstorm (both PC, obviously).

I was playing it last night on my friend's i7 2600k and GTX 580 system, and he the load times definitely felt a little long. It wasn't anything like the 30 seconds to a minute reports I am hearing from the console crowd, but it was definitely longer than 10 seconds. I'm pretty sure my friend is just using a standard 7200rpm 32mb cache hard drive, though.

Vestal

Zefah said:
I was playing it last night on my friend's i7 2600k and GTX 580 system, and he the load times definitely felt a little long. It wasn't anything like the 30 seconds to a minute reports I am hearing from the console crowd, but it was definitely longer than 10 seconds. I'm pretty sure my friend is just using a standard 7200rpm 32mb cache hard drive, though.

Im using a 7200rpm HDD for the duke install and my load times are no longer than 10 seconds at the most..

Core2Duo 8400 OCed
4gb Corsair Dominator 8500 ram
XFX5770 Crossfire
Windows 7 64-Bit
Raptor WD 74.8gb Hard drive for OS and Swap
Seagate 1TB 7200 16meg cache for non MMO installs or hard drive intensive game installs.

Top Bottom