• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

jns

Gvaz said:
Like throwing feces like a virtual chimpanzee? No thanks.
Then this thread and game clearly are not for you.
Personally I'm happy Duke wasn't changed to pander to the new-age FPS crowd, sometimes its just nice to have fun and laugh. This game brings back very fond memories of old school FPS play.

MrPing1000 said:
Geez I hope someone figured out a way to keep the effects on but turn off the depth of field blur.

It is terrrrrrible.

just turns off post-processing effects.

Not sure what it'll change beyond Depth of Field though. For reference:

24bp63b.jpg

Goon Boon

Banned
I really hope that random prospector from one of the earlier trailers is in this. I always wondered what the hell he had to do with anything.

dochuge

Well I paid off this game in full then I tried the demo. Uh oh.....not impressed. Did not have the feel of the original game at all. The levels were too restrictive. Part of the appeal of the old DN games were the well designed sprawling levels with hidden secrets scattered through out. Took a sneak peak of the actual game, probably about an hour total. Same deal: hallways, connected to rooms, connected to hallways. What the hell happened? So I'm asking for those who have the game, do the levels open up at all after the first hour or so of play?

Doc

Teknoman

jns said:
Then this thread and game clearly are not for you.
Personally I'm happy Duke wasn't changed to pander to the new-age FPS crowd, sometimes its just nice to have fun and laugh. This game brings back very fond memories of old school FPS play.

Well yeah, but the poop stuff is abit much. Then again, thats just like Bulletstorm and the word dick-tits. Only used once in the entire game, and even then its not that noticeable.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Damnit. The code I got from GreenManGames worked on Steam, and it had "install game" when I checked at work. When I got home it said "preload". Uggghhh.

ndreamer

e_i said:
Impressions?

It's duke, very fun and not so serious. I like the use of puzzles as well, it's kind of got a metroid/half life vibe to it. I only played 2-3 hours last night from midnight to 3am. The one liners are awesome F#*K key cards, i don't need no keycard.

About 4 hours in, enjoying it a lot so far, plenty of variety in the gameplay, albeit in a corridor shootery kinda way. Funny too, definately feel a bit of Prey influence and obviously Halo.

Tried out multiplayer, was fun but need dedicated server.

sk3tch

eshwaaz said:
Still an amazing trailer. Blood, gore and explosions all look better in this 10 year old build than the actual final release. So sad.

lol...c'mon man...you are exaggerating just a tad.

Teknoman

MrPing1000 said:
About 4 hours in, enjoying it a lot so far, plenty of variety in the gameplay, albeit in a corridor shootery kinda way. Funny too, definately feel a bit of Prey influence and obviously Halo.

Tried out multiplayer, was fun but need dedicated server.

Good new. Was the desert stage exactly the same as in the demo, or is that further than the first few stages?

Seriously, guys. I'm not trying to troll, but... On the surface, everything about this game screams absolute shit. The visuals, the over-cooked badassery of Duke, the gameplay; it all just looks bad.

I mean, Jesus. Look at any other game at E3... Or last year's E3... Or 1995's E3, for that matter. Consumer expectactions can't just be shat on like this.

However! This is all ON THE SURFACE, so I'd be more than happy to be proven otherwise by any DNF advocates.

Teknoman said:
Good new. Was the desert stage exactly the same as in the demo, or is that further than the first few stages?

Haven't got that far, but there has not being anything as bad as the desert section in the demo.

It's a lot better than the demo would lead you to believe tbh.

I totally reloaded the checkpoint when I realised the first microwave you come to works... and there is a rat nearby... lol

(._.)

Banned
Wait, what the hell? This game is already unlocking for some people? I have it fully preloaded and it wont play.

profit said:
You can actually, it makes Duke a lot stronger (health wise)

Oh and RyL, the load times are about 15 secons for each level, 5 - 10 when you die and need to load back.

Edit:

duke-nukem-forever-20110214023340985-000.jpg

(not my screenshot, Steam didnt save mine for some reason)

Space armor is for pussies.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but bestbuy.ca has the game for 53.99. Not a massive deal, but if you have Reward Zone points it could be a good deal.

luka said:
Specifically, any region that isn't North America. :angryface:
Yeah . . . how often does that happen?

And of all games . . . how come red blooded Americans don't get to play Duke Nukem first? What kind of commie pinko shit is that?

Blizzard

Banned
speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . how often does that happen?

And of all games . . . how come red blooded Americans don't get to play Duke Nukem first? What kind of commie pinko shit is that?
Seriously. It's the only game I've ever seen that even has an American flag window as the installer. =P

Strange thing I heard about multiplayer, but it doesn't even have VAC running. It has absolutely no option to turn on anti-cheats, even though it's a Steamworks title.

leca

Reading the official Duke Nukem Forever forum has been a bit of a laugh today. Plenty of rage, and one odd case for Russian gamers.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=123660 said:
Ok, this thread is not what you expected.

Well, first of all i'm a russian guy and the 'artist' behind several fanart pieces that you can find on duke4.net/3drealms forums and here too. Including 'it has to be done' Creation of DNF funny drawing. I'm absolutely in love with the franchise, i played almost every Duke game out there. Now why am i saying this to you?

It is a really hilarious story, but for me it's not fun at all. For me it's actually some sort of epic fail. No i'm not talking about the game, i'm sure it will kick ass. I'm talking about localization. Yeah. I don't know about guys from europe (like france/germany e.t.c) but in our country we have complete translation of the game and a voiceover. And i mean Duke himself is translated and some sh*tty voice is trying to mimic him. Well, actually no. He don't even try to be like Jon St. John... he has a different approach to a character, with some jokes being completely remade for this purpose (to be honest looks like the whole thing is different....omfg).

Now inhale....inhale...wait for it!!...in our contry that's the same actor who was voicing Shrek in russia! .... !!!!

Can you believe that? And the bad thing is, it looks like we have no ways in russia to disable that voiceover, or to choose english version of the game, because of localization company policy. In fact they said that it is a policy of 2K games to translate the game completely. Now how in the Duke's name is that possible? Gamers around the world are absolutely in love with Jon St. John awesome Duke voice - why the hell do we need some Shrek to stand between us and Duke?

Is this some kind of a joke? Well, no. Tap the link below to get some lulz. I hate to say it but i don't know what to do. Don't want to own a game with green fat Duke in it (and completely screwed translation)... But i appreciate Gearbox work and i wont donwload/crack the game. Just don't know what to do next... it's almost friday already...

Oh, here is your link guys. Enjoy it))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFGcWBYu654

played the first hour today. Didn't play the demo so i can't really compare.

the start is really awful, but it gets a looooot better after about 20 minutes when you get to the
Duke Museum and get to the Duke cave
when the game proper starts

basically, its like someone from 2011 travelled back in time to visit 3D Realms in the late 90's to show them how to finish the game, only to find that someone from 2005 was already there.

It also shows how much incidental stuff has been stripped out of some modern shooters. We have fancy physics on things these days but you can't interact with simple things in CoD or BF.

So once I got to the
RC truck,
I was hooked

Ubersnug

RyL said:
gaf (first) impressions are meaningless =P

most of the time they come from overexcited geeks who can't form a proper objective opinion (ok, don't take that "too" seriously but some users here make me cringe ... I know that objective opinions don't exist)

judging from the first (european) reviews the game is bloody awful to okay

especially the console versions get bashed to hell and back because of the technical issues, like up to 2min loading times, aliasing, weird slow 5fps shadow, frequent and huge fps drops, random clipping issues in some levels etc.
Well, it's not as If I was declaring the game to be goty or anything else special, but I can still fully appreciate why you (or anyone else) would be skeptical, especially considering all the polarising impressions being flung about.

As I said, I approached the game after having a not very favourable experience with the demo and I was expecting to be left very disappointed, as the 'gunplay' felt severely lacking, there wasn't much of the duke personality I was expecting and that desert level left a sour taste in my mouth with how generic it felt.

But, it turns out, the game was actually pretty fun. Let me elaborate.

First of all, you really need to appreciate 'Duke Humour'. If toilet/crude humour offends you then, given the amount of it in this game, you wont get on with this. The game is literally overflowing with Duke humour, from his one liners, the things he says when interacting with objects in the game and the world that surrounds Duke.

Also, the game plays as one big parody of the FPS genre. From mocking 'classic' FPS conventions, such as needing pass cards to get through doors etc, to outright prodding fun out of our much loved popular FPS's (the halo dig 'Power armour is for pussies'). At times, the parodying reminds er of Matt Hazzard (again, not a great game, but not as terrible some people may have made it out to be).

At times, it feels as if the game tried to break through that 4th wall as duke tries to engage directly with the gamer, almost as if he is taking you on a personal 1 to 1 journey through his world.

I'm only about 2.5 hrs into the game, but so far the level design was much more interesting and engaging than that desert level in the demo. I also noticed that the demo didn't give a good impression on how interactive the world that surrounds duke is. Given that you are rewarded with extra ego if you find something new and unique to do it actually encourages you to explore and find all these wee nuggets of interactivity.

Even the gunplay felt a lot more satisfying than the demo. Having to circle strafe enemies with the shotgun took me way back and, surprisingly, still felt 'fun'. Dont get me wrong, the game is far from perfect. There are still some jarring elements that bring you out of the experience, but, in my opinion, there is still enough in the game to keep me engaged and still enjoy the game.

One final point I will make, is that the game is full of personality. Yeah, it's crude and childish, but you can't help but raise a smile with some of the stuff that happens in the game. 'Duke nukem forever' is like the uncle the rest of your family is embarrassed of, but you love him because of his crass humour and 'not giving a shit' attitude. He is the uncle that taught you to swear and how to drink. You didn't learn life lessons from him, but he did teach you how to enjoy it.

The bottom line is, don't take the game seriously. Don't play it expecting a refined experience like COD or Halo or you will be left disappointed. Let it show you how FPS games used to be and how fun they still can be. Take the game at face value and you should, hopefully, enjoy it.

*deep inhale*

EDIT- apologies for all the small paragraphs. Typing on the iPhone made it look as if I had written alot more than I had.

Ubersnug

SalsaShark said:
Anyone tried the MP yet?
Only tried one game of TDM and it felt very generic tbh. Was also quite laggy too at times.

Will try some of the other modes and give it more of a chance but I doubt it will replace my bad company 2 addiction any time soon.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ubersnug said:
Only tried one game of TDM and it felt very generic tbh. Was also quite laggy too at times.

Will try some of the other modes and give it more of a chance but I doubt it will replace my bad company 2 addiction any time soon.
Console version? I haven't seen any PC footage/impressions yet.

Ubersnug

luka said:
Console version? I haven't seen any PC footage/impressions yet.
Played it on the 360.

When I think about it, it felt as if even the multiplayer was a parody of other well known brands. The stupid voice that calls out 'KUNG-FU KILL' when you melee someone or the other multi-kill phrases seemed like a piss take of Unreal Tournament.

Salsa

Ubersnug said:
Played it on the 360.

When I think about it, it felt as if even the multiplayer was a parody of other well known brands. The stupid voice that calls out 'KUNG-FU KILL' when you melee someone or the other multi-kill phrases seemed like a piss take of Unreal Tournament.

Ubersnug said:
The stupid voice that calls out 'KUNG-FU KILL' when you melee someone or the other multi-kill phrases seemed like a piss take of Unreal Tournament.

Ubersnug said:
The stupid voice that calls out 'KUNG-FU KILL'

Ubersnug said:
'KUNG-FU KILL'

idqyrS.gif

Metal-Geo

Anybody else who played pool for a few minutes?

Only an hour in, pretty much enjoying the game. It feels pretty much like an old-skool. No vaulting and no sliding (which, for whatever reason, is very popular in shooters nowadays)
Loving the humor, and the soldiers actually made me giggle every now and then. Despite their obnoxious voice acting.

"Why are you such a douche?" <--- Nice.

Btw, what's the game reference the soldier makes when he says "Helped someone find his fucking wife. Fucking pussy"? Right at the 'armor is for pussies' bit.

Ubersnug

Metal-Geo said:
Btw, what's the game reference the soldier makes when he says "Helped someone find his fucking wife. Fucking pussy"? Right at the 'armor is for pussies' bit.
My guess would be gears of war with Dominic Santiago's searching for his wife.

Seda

So...the impressions seem to be slightly more positive (not superb but seemingly leaning positive) in this thread compared to the demo thread... any noticable differences or was the demo content just lackluster?

Ubersnug

Seda said:
So...the impressions seem to be slightly more positive (not superb but seemingly leaning positive) in this thread compared to the demo thread... any noticable differences or was the demo content just lackluster?
I would say it was the lack of content that hurt the demo.

Seda

Ubersnug said:
I would say it was the lack of content that hurt the demo.

That's what I was thinking.

I loved Duke 3D. I probably won't grab this at full price, but I'll look for a sale at like 39.99 or something and then pick it up.

Top Bottom