• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

Persona7

Banned
Seda said:
That's what I was thinking.

I loved Duke 3D. I probably won't grab this at full price, but I'll look for a sale at like 39.99 or something and then pick it up.
Amazon has a 10$ gift credit for this game.

jambo

God damn Steam thinks it's downloaded all of the files, but I only have 612, while other people are saying they have 800+ files. Keeps throwing up the Unavailable error, not matter what I do.

I've verified the integrity of the cache about 5 times now and I even tried deleting a file to see if it would re-download it but it still thinks I have 100% of the files.

;__;

ShaunBRS

ndreamer said:
half life vibe to it.
I was surprised when I got this feeling from the game, too. The whole thing has left me pleasantly surprised actually – I was braced for disappointment after the let down of a demo but I'm enjoying it a lot so far. It's not a technical masterclass or anything but it's fun, tongue-in-cheek as fuck and it definitely feels like Duke.

Thirteen

Neo Member
I remember seeing a preview of it in PC Gamer mag, with a picture of some senior military officer and a rocket launching behind him... that was about 1999

damn 13 years flew by real fast.

eXistor

Loving it so far, but one huge thing is letting me down: it's linear as fuck. I'm still very much in the beginning, but I'm afraid it's gonna be a corridor shooter and not open levels like in DN3d. I suspected as much, but it's still disappointing.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
It's almost depressing to think of; I was 13 when this game was announced in 1997. 14 years have passed by now, and next weekend I'll be 27. So I've actually spent over half my life waiting for this game :lol

profit

jambo said:
God damn Steam thinks it's downloaded all of the files, but I only have 612, while other people are saying they have 800+ files. Keeps throwing up the Unavailable error, not matter what I do.

I've verified the integrity of the cache about 5 times now and I even tried deleting a file to see if it would re-download it but it still thinks I have 100% of the files.

;__;
Have you tried "delete local content" in Steam?

The post just dropped through the letterbox and a certain package lying on the ground containing Duke Nukem Forever is present and correct. Massively debating right now whether to open it up and play the game or just send it back to Play.com for a refund. That demo was wholly shite.

Trying to like it... having trouble :/

Just like I'm trying to like inFamous 2 and Red Faction and having trouble with them as well... doh, this was supposed to be a great week, but instead it's been a lack lustre ho hum son feeling of BRING ME TO THE FUTURE OF BF3 AND SKYRIM NOW... why do I feel this way? Why Can't I enjoy what I have now rather than fiending the future :(

TRHolmes(y) said:
Console peasant here. Going to pick this up after work but unsure whether to go for PS3 or 360. Can anyone advise? Thanks.
There was a screen shot comparison that made the 360 look worse then both PS3 and PC, I'll end up playing it on the 360 but if you have the option PS3 seems the better choice.

Combichristoffersen

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
There was a screen shot comparison that made the 360 look worse then both PS3 and PC, I'll end up playing it on the 360 but if you have the option PS3 seems the better choice.

Obviously Duke plays best on Superior Master Race™ PC, but for console versions, the PS3 version does seem to be the best choice, yeah. Although apparently there is a 5 GB day 1 patch for the PS3 version?

jgminto

Really enjoying the game so far. So much better than the demo. I love just being able to interact with so many things in the environment. And the dialogue is hilarious to boot. One thing I would have to complain about is the melee in multiplayer. Unless they are standing still or running straight towards you it can be a real challenge to hit anyone which really decreases the value of steroids. Also the load times are a bit long but I'll try installing the game which should shorten them.

GJS

Sethos said:
Someone mentioned the game being in the Top Sellers on Steam yesterday, how does it fair today on release?
It's not listed in the top 20 today (yet?), Modern Warfare 2 is the top seller.

As someone who is 18 years old and has never played a Duke Nukem game before, how do you think newcomers to the series would think of the game? Do you think they would understand the humour or just find it stupid (in a bad way)?

I'm curious to know what this game is like. I haven't been able to play the demo but have seen, various times, the footage from the demo. I don't think it interests me.

Just want to know your thoughts! Thanks.

jgminto

ashbash159 said:
As someone who is 18 years old and has never played a Duke Nukem game before, how do you think newcomers to the series would think of the game? Do you think they would understand the humour or just find it stupid (in a bad way)?

I'm curious to know what this game is like. I haven't been able to play the demo but have seen, various times, the footage from the demo. I don't think it interests me.

I've only had brief experience with the series and I love the game. The humour is stupid but that is the intentional effect and I can appreciate that.

Combichristoffersen

ashbash159 said:

If you didn't grow up with Duke and other Build games/FPS games in the 90s (Blood, Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad etc.), I do think you might have a hard time 'getting' the appeal of the Duke Nukem character and the kind of humour that those 90s FPS games had. You should give Duke Nukem 3D and Blood a try, as those are two of the best FPS games of all time, and if you enjoy them, you might end up enjoying DNF too.

Dizzy-4U

Played a few hours yesterday. It's quite fun but I can understand not everyone liking it.

How's the multiplayer? We should get a GAF server. I'll be playing this weekend.

Stitch

Gold Member
mhhh the girls in the strip club have these weird things on their titties :-/

someone make a nude mod :p :D

Ubersnug

I'm still laughing my ass off at this. Someone I know on another website just posted this:

'just went to pick up my copy from the (very busy) Post Office. Where on being given the package the novelty keyring, I did not know I was getting, hidden in the box triggered off a catchphrase (in a slightly loud, yet muffled Duke voice) "Hey, i can see my dick from here!

To which, I bowed and quickly shuffled my way out the front door"

:lol

I've got Balls of
Fail!

I've played the multiplayer on the pc a little bit, haven't been on a dedicated server, but p2p worked reasonably well, although the host inevitably wins.

Theres a ton of stuff to unlock, was fun the 30mins or so I played last night.

Back to the single player now, just arrived at Duke Burger.

Stitch said:
fuck, gearbox disabled the console. i want to change the FOV :(

oh, it's possible to change the FOV and disable the DOF with this
http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org

Fuck yeah no more ridiculously bad DOF blurry.

Gvaz

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
Trying to like it... having trouble :/

Just like I'm trying to like inFamous 2 and Red Faction and having trouble with them as well... doh, this was supposed to be a great week, but instead it's been a lack lustre ho hum son feeling of BRING ME TO THE FUTURE OF BF3 AND SKYRIM NOW... why do I feel this way? Why Can't I enjoy what I have now rather than fiending the future :(
You're starting to realize that most games that come out are not worth the price you bought it for. You're better off waiting till games are $10-20 because they're all shit.

Except for a few games a year like The Witcher 2.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Stitch said:
mhhh the girls in the strip club have these weird things on their titties :-/

someone make a nude mod :p :D

That's weird. Did they censor it? I thought the launch trailer had topless strippers in it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any legitimate reviews for this available yet? Curious to see what the press thinks about it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
From those three reviews and my own experience, it seems like anyone reviewing the console version of the game is going to walk away disliking the game. The technical problems are just too severe. The game isn't easy, it seems, and having to wait 45 seconds every single time you die is simply not acceptable in this day and age. The low framerate and terrible image quality only further drive this home.

On the PC, however, where it runs just fine, you can more easily appreciate the positive aspects of the game. As I had expected, it sounds like a fun little romp that doesn't change the face of gaming (which is a silly expectation). After going through the ultimate form of development hell, it's amazing it's turned out as decent as it has.

I just tried the 360 version at a friend's house last night and it was so bad that I just wanted to continue to see just how bad it was. I think I might just cancel my pre-order, not even a Steelbook can make me get this game at full price. :/

Top Bottom