• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Travelers 2 |OT| - We don't need no White Knights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
IIRC I already had Alisia as a valkyrie at that point so she just used daedalus attack as much as possible. Grishina had dark aura at level 4 to debuff most of the boss's stats as well as aura eliminate to erase its crazy defense buff. Had Melvy on healing duties and Conet doing maid stuff. Lilian as papillon was pretty useless but provided a little extra healing with one of the dollmaster moves.

I got unlucky and nailed with that damned multiple target smash after she buffed herself, that went poorly but barely managed to win lol.

Reminds me of that
"hidden" orange Tanuki chick boss in the first dungeon.
Oh man I remember opening up the other area with the pickaxe finding her then wiping pretty fast due to her multiple hits good times.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
btw on a totally unrelated subject this changes my views totally on the battle system of tales of graces f.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9BA0m9K5bk
Is he doing some kind of invincibility frame dodging/parrying against those attacks?

Reminds me of that
"hidden" orange Tanuki chick boss in the first dungeon.
Oh man I remember opening up the other area with the pickaxe finding her then wiping pretty fast due to her multiple hits good times.
Hopefully by the end of the endgame there's some convenient exp farming method/spot or it scales much better. That reminds me I still need to go back and fight some of the secret bosses on the regular map. They were way out of my league when I had access but I think I might be high level enough now.

Parakeetman

Is he doing some kind of invincibility frame dodging/parrying against those attacks?

Hopefully by the end of the endgame there's some convenient exp farming method/spot or it scales much better. That reminds me I still need to go back and fight some of the secret bosses on the regular map. They were way out of my league when I had access but I think I might be high level enough now.

I didnt get far enough in the game but possibly there is a skill that allows for it? (Tales that is)

Have you found any exp giving enemies? Since the only "bonus" stuff type of monster is those money chicks. The ones who usually run away pretty fast. But have yet to run into anything that gives large amount of exp, hence why i kept spamming the bard exp up song every fight lol

I remember some of those books you can make from the special boss characters were useful.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I didnt get far enough in the game but possibly there is a skill that allows for it? (Tales that is)

Man I gotta try that when I get back to that game. I spent a lot of time doing that kind of stuff in MH3U lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YHwF24cwfk

Have you found any exp giving enemies? Since the only "bonus" stuff type of monster is those money chicks. The ones who usually run away pretty fast. But have yet to run into anything that gives large amount of exp, hence why i kept spamming the bard exp up song every fight lol

I remember some of those books you can make from the special boss characters were useful.
The mandragora type enemies are the exp equivalent of the money monsters. They usually run away on the first turn and have super high speed/turn order too. What I've been using to grind are those doors that have 100% encounters behind them and running/re-entering until I get a strong large sprite enemy. I use a cover + parry + silence/freeze combo to make the enemy only able to do regular attacks on Alisia while any low level party member can just sit back and soak up the exp.

Parakeetman

Man I gotta try that when I get back to that game. I spent a lot of time doing that kind of stuff in MH3U lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YHwF24cwfk

The mandragora type enemies are the exp equivalent of the money monsters. They usually run away on the first turn and have super high speed/turn order too. What I've been using to grind are those doors that have 100% encounters behind them and running/re-entering until I get a strong large sprite enemy. I use a cover + parry + silence/freeze combo to make the enemy only able to do regular attacks on Alisia while any low level party member can just sit back and soak up the exp.

holy shit thats your vid?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Lol yea but they super neutered stiggy in vanilla MH4 (no paw stamp, nerfed AI, non-homing energy shots, sloped area = jump attack spam) so that's one of the reasons I didn't bother picking up MH4G (along with the whole ruining my L button thing). If they ever fix him up I'd probably go back and start playing it but I think the changes are permanent (ヽ´ω`)

Parakeetman

Lol yea but they super neutered stiggy in vanilla MH4 (no paw stamp, nerfed AI, non-homing energy shots, sloped area = jump attack spam) so that's one of the reasons I didn't bother picking up MH4G (along with the whole ruining my L button thing). If they ever fix him up I'd probably go back and start playing it but I think the changes are permanent (ヽ´ω`)

They added new moves to other monsters which is cool though. Hilarious how the crab can troll you now after spitting water it runs backwards now. Since before everyone used that as the point to pound the shit out of its face. I so saw a troll face appear when it ran backwards right after that water beam. D:

Insane though, I never could do that type of play with the whole low life = higher damage and dodge set.

Im actually quite happy with 4g the new desert is great. Though am let down there isnt a new volcano stage I think. The old one was ass crackers.

Parakeetman

My order from Nippon-Yasan shipped, should be here in in ~10 days. Better late than never!

lol about damned time! Im still slowly making my way through the game so most likely am sure you will catch up to me eventually haha.

CrovaxPSO

lol about damned time! Im still slowly making my way through the game so most likely am sure you will catch up to me eventually haha.

Not sure how much time I'll be dedicating only to this either. I just got Fantasy Life and Freedom Wars comes out here on Tuesday.

Hopefully stuff in this game isn't too different from other DRPGs, maybe I should spend some time checking out the wiki.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
They added new moves to other monsters which is cool though. Hilarious how the crab can troll you now after spitting water it runs backwards now. Since before everyone used that as the point to pound the shit out of its face. I so saw a troll face appear when it ran backwards right after that water beam. D:

Insane though, I never could do that type of play with the whole low life = higher damage and dodge set.

Im actually quite happy with 4g the new desert is great. Though am let down there isnt a new volcano stage I think. The old one was ass crackers.
Yeah for sure I had a lot more fun with 4th gen as far as general/online play and new moves goes but from kind of a dark souls/solo runs approach the new mechanics made it less appealing for me. Also a little disappointed they didn't really add anything to the gunlance since it's my main weap. It's probably for the best so I don't sink too much time/broken L buttons into it lol

My order from Nippon-Yasan shipped, should be here in in ~10 days. Better late than never!
Awesome, and don't worry, we'll probably still be posting in here for a while as the game's content is absurd and will take quite a while to get through.

Parakeetman

Not sure how much time I'll be dedicating only to this either. I just got Fantasy Life and Freedom Wars comes out here on Tuesday.

Hopefully stuff in this game isn't too different from other DRPGs, maybe I should spend some time checking out the wiki.

Some of the classes are pretty weird others are more straight forward, but there are a TON of skills and then the skill point management will come into play when you decide what to and not put points into. Since level reset to get all the skill points back sucks once you go past a certain point.

So getting somewhat familiar with what will be available helps so you can have a general build in mind. Counter and Double attack is pretty useless though for the warrior type of class so dont bother with putting points into those skills as its super expensive and the proc %age is terrible even maxed out.

Yeah for sure I had a lot more fun with 4th gen as far as general/online play and new moves goes but from kind of a dark souls/solo runs approach the new mechanics made it less appealing for me. Also a little disappointed they didn't really add anything to the gunlance since it's my main weap. It's probably for the best so I don't sink too much time/broken L buttons into it lol

Awesome, and don't worry, we'll probably still be posting in here for a while as the game's content is absurd and will take quite a while to get through.

Yeah I saw in frontier the gunlance got a ton of new stuff, it is a damned shame that the other MH team that does all the non frontier stuff didnt upgrade the movesets too. Since the gunlance is also my main weapon of choice asides GS.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
(´・ω`・)エッ? Thought it was a melon, but it's what I died to here lol

Didn't beat it until I went back at like level 60 something

Parakeetman

Hey guys I just realized something. Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord has DLC for some of the Dungeon Travelers 2 game. So wonder if thats any sign that potentially the game will be localized? This is the US version of TtT II that is

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting, though featuring dlc/cameos from unlocalized games isn't too uncommon (tales and fire emblem come to mind) and the dlc was already created/exists in the JP version of ttt2 it seems. Would definitely be great if more people could experience this game but also seems like one of the riskier types of games to localize that draws controversy in the west (some of those victory CGs lol). Monster Monpiece managed a localization after some censoring though so anything's possible I guess.

Wonder what the dt2 models look like since ttt2 is a 3D game.

Parakeetman

Interesting, though featuring dlc/cameos from unlocalized games isn't too uncommon (tales and fire emblem come to mind) and the dlc was already created/exists in the JP version of ttt2 it seems. Would definitely be great if more people could experience this game but also seems like one of the riskier types of games to localize that draws controversy in the west (some of those victory CGs lol). Monster Monpiece managed a localization after some censoring though so anything's possible I guess.

Wonder what the dt2 models look like since ttt2 is a 3D game.

ill let you know this weekend as ordered the le ver still pretty cheap here picking it up on the 30th then will get the alisia and melvy dlc

Dorarnae

sigh, if only those mandrakes wouldn't run away so often, that would make lvling less a pain in the butt hehe.
anyway still need to farm for some gear/task.
I wonder if there's any good item to steal with the treasure hunter.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Made it to the last dungeon before the
floor tower superdungeon. If I can complete this and beat whatever's at the top of that tower I think I'll be satisfied, even though there's still a ton of hidden content beyond that apparently lol.

Tower alone contains 16 job doors though (゜∀。)ワヒャヒャヒャヒャヒャヒャ

Parakeetman

Made it to the last dungeon before the
floor tower superdungeon. If I can complete this and beat whatever's at the top of that tower I think I'll be satisfied, even though there's still a ton of hidden content beyond that apparently lol.

Tower alone contains 16 job doors though (゜∀。)ワヒャヒャヒャヒャヒャヒャ

lol that should keep you occupied till dt2:2 comes out ヽ(・∀・)ノ

tonight ill be picking up my TtT so can check the dlc chars

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder when DT2-2 is scheduled for. I'm kind of hoping not too early next year. Kind of been going hardcore at DRPGs back to back ever since summer. Played Demon Gaze in July, then moved on to Persona Q, then Seisou no Amazoness, and now DT2. Still trying to find some time to fit Operation Abyss in there but the Vita release of Stranger of Sword City is on the horizon too and I want to play that more. Might need to take a break after this game so I don't get burned out on the genre.

I definitely need to start saving more lol. Regular encounters that instantly wipe the party have been a thing for a while but now there are enemies that straight up steal like 80k gold and no way to get it back even if you defeat the monster (`;ω;´)

Also just completed an entire floor of complicated switch mazes and at the end I had a 50/50 choice for 2 blind corridors. One led to the next floor, the other sent me back to the start of the floor with no shortcut back. Of course I picked the one that sent me back (´=ω=`)

Dorarnae

Wonder when DT2-2 is scheduled for. I'm kind of hoping not too early next year. Kind of been going hardcore at DRPGs back to back ever since summer. Played Demon Gaze in July, then moved on to Persona Q, then Seisou no Amazoness, and now DT2. Still trying to find some time to fit Operation Abyss in there but the Vita release of Stranger of Sword City is on the horizon too and I want to play that more. Might need to take a break after this game so I don't get burned out on the genre.

(´=ω=`)

Operation abyss isn't too long(you can probably do it in 50-60 hours to plat it). in particular if you played the original game on pc. have you played labyrinth cross blood too? ;)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Nope lol. DG was my first Experience DRPG. Before that I had only played ones of the EO and SMT variety.

Experience's games do seem more streamlined than other ones from what I've played though. Really wish every DRPG had an auto/fast forward button.

CrovaxPSO

Nope lol. DG was my first Experience DRPG. Before that I had only played ones of the EO and SMT variety.

Experience's games do seem more streamlined than other ones from what I've played though. Really wish every DRPG had an auto/fast forward button.

When you do get around to them, I'd recommend Cross Blood Infinity before Operation Abyss even though it comes later in the timeline. They streamline some things even more for OA that I missed when I went back to Infinity, mostly menu related. Nothing major but just some stuff that was kind of annoying to go back to, haha.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't planning on picking up Cross Blood Infinity originally but man that rerelease is super cheap now. Wasn't there some feature that let you use Operation Abyss portraits? Was that DLC or unlocked from having an OA save?

CrovaxPSO

Wasn't planning on picking up Cross Blood Infinity originally but man that rerelease is super cheap now. Wasn't there some feature that let you use Operation Abyss portraits? Was that DLC or unlocked from having an OA save?

Pretty sure it's already on the cart, just need the OA save data. I didn't buy the re-release so I'm not certain, but pretty sure. I like Cross Blood a lot, and it's cool to see more of the characters with the older art style (which I prefer for some of the designs).

Dorarnae

unlocked from having OA save.
Cross blood post game is pretty good, couple boss to kill.

Parakeetman

yeah thats for the latest rerere release lol.

Parakeetman

Gonna go pick up TtT 2 now to see dat DLC Alisa and Melvy. If it wasnt for them dont think I would have gone through the trouble to get the game now.

Btw I just realized too that I missed out on that huge update for Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate...... am a huge idiot since thats missed content there.

btw perorist did you figure out what that expensive ass curry does? I remember in the PSP one using it but totally forgot what it did. I should look at the 攻略 site again and see what those weird ass expensive foods do. The one the wandering merchant sells.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
One of you is a ponpo alt? (´⊙ω⊙`)

And if you mean 必殺カレー it heals a single character for 9999 HP/TP, basically an elixir (also effectively a love potion if you activate the skit with Melvy/Alisia lol). I've been buying them whenever they show up with the merchant to stock up for endgame bosses. So far only been using the full HP breads though since TP usually isn't a problem.

CrovaxPSO

Gonna go pick up TtT 2 now to see dat DLC Alisa and Melvy. If it wasnt for them dont think I would have gone through the trouble to get the game now.

Btw I just realized too that I missed out on that huge update for Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate...... am a huge idiot since thats missed content there.

btw ponpo did you figure out what that expensive ass curry does? I remember in the PSP one using it but totally forgot what it did. I should look at the 攻略 site again and see what those weird ass expensive foods do. The one the wandering merchant sells.

I saw them tweeting about that update, what was the deal with that? From a quick glance it looked like it was the 1.03 or whatever update that the first Infinity release got so I didn't really look into it more.

Parakeetman

I saw them tweeting about that update, what was the deal with that? From a quick glance it looked like it was the 1.03 or whatever update that the first Infinity release got so I didn't really look into it more.

Its like some boss fight or extra dungeon i forgot which.

Parakeetman

One of you is a ponpo alt? (´⊙ω⊙`)

And if you mean 必殺カレー it heals a single character for 9999 HP/TP, basically an elixir (also effectively a love potion if you activate the skit with Melvy/Alisia lol). I've been buying them whenever they show up with the merchant to stock up for endgame bosses. So far only been using the full HP breads though since TP usually isn't a problem.

lol sorry wrong name. D:

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Lol no prob, we both use a lot of faces. There is also that other curry which I can't remember the name of right now that costs like 2k or 3k and is a total ripoff for the effect. Definitely only worth buying the hissatsu one.

Speaking of healing the low hard cap on healing spells are really annoying. Circle Heal can only heal up to 620HP per party member at max level which is nothing now that some members' health are into the mid thousands. Same thing with the regular heal spell that only can heal up to 700. Really makes items necessary if you don't have a Bishop.

Recently I find it more efficient to just let a unit die and use resurrect (90% healing) to bring them back to near-full HP lol. Losing buffs would be a problem but they're honestly too hard to maintain anyways later on with all the instant death/dispel moves the enemies have. Might actually be better off getting killed/revived with a clean slate with how many debuffs they stack on you too.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Finally unlocked the tower and working my way up it now. I actually do recommend looking at the wiki for skill builds/priorities and whatnot because the dungeon before it had a strong mandatory boss that will really test your choices up to that point in the game with how you've been raising your party.

(;・∀・) Everything is so strong right now I'm considering attempting to crown some of my characters if I can find a good grinding spot.

Parakeetman

Finally unlocked the tower and working my way up it now. I actually do recommend looking at the wiki for skill builds/priorities and whatnot because the dungeon before it had a strong mandatory boss that will really test your choices up to that point in the game with how you've been raising your party.

(;・∀・) Everything is so strong right now I'm considering attempting to crown some of my characters if I can find a good grinding spot.

Btw I got TtT II and it has the most insanely long introductory stories ever, but its quite well done and dont mind that its about 90% story bits at the start.

Still am stuck with the story stuff so did not have a chance to test out Alisia / Melvy and the Bear & Penguin lol Its awesome that they are in the game too. The bear has such shitty stats as expected was laughing when I saw that.

Game is like 2000 JPY on the JPSN and DLC for all 6 there is a DLC pack for 1000? or 1100 JPY or something like that. But seriously this might be the longest intro story ever, so you better set a good amount of time aside to play. But if you want something affordable to break up your DRPG rush this might be the title.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, no kidding that is indeed super cheap. May pick it up regardless at that price, though that seems to be quite a quick permanent drop on even the aquaprice version. Was under the impression it didn't come out too long ago either.

Parakeetman

Oh wow, no kidding that is indeed super cheap. May pick it up regardless at that price, though that seems to be quite a quick permanent drop on even the aquaprice version. Was under the impression it didn't come out too long ago either.

Yeah its not been out that long. Im guessing too the game is a hard sell with how long the story bits are and how little "fighting" there is at the start of the title. So far am pretty happy with it and the main reason for getting it was to see Alisia in game lol.

While doing the story bits was playing skylock on my phone at the same time.

Dorarnae

explored about half of Dire Dawa or something but will probably just farm to complete my request to unlock the next dungeon. papillion and treasure hunter door is too much hehe.

Parakeetman

explored about half of Dire Dawa or something but will probably just farm to complete my request to unlock the next dungeon. papillion and treasure hunter door is too much hehe.

Im still leveling my treasure hunter. This time wont screw up the point allocation like I did on my PSP version D:

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just chipping away at these job doors slowly lol. Just remember shouldn't worry too much about point allocation and respeccing as long as you're under 50 like I did since you get a total of 685 by level 99 so the extra couple of bonus ones at the start can be easily recovered. Actually have around 100+ unspent SP on several of my main party right now because I can't decide what to get next.

Might also be worthwhile to consider each character's unique skills when deciding what class you want them to end up as. Turns out several of the early party members have pretty terrible ones while others have god tier ones that are very helpful for end game. I'm probably going to end up replacing Conet (nooooooo) with Ist just for the utility from her unique skill.

Did the same for that dungeon and skipped all the bosses lol. Ironically the floor I'm on right now once again requires a treasure hunter for passage so I'm stuck grinding again. Will be a good opportunity to go back and finish Dire Dawa though since the rest of my party can probably decimate the bosses now.

Parakeetman

My copy arrived but I don't have time to play until this evening. Any pro tips for early on in this one?

Whatever you do with Alisia do not put points into double attack or avenger. (counter attack) since the percentages you get for it to proc vs how much points you have to spend is not worth it. D:

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
My copy arrived but I don't have time to play until this evening. Any pro tips for early on in this one?
Not too much to worry about early on except maybe skill point allocation since you get very few per level up at lower levels. You can respec back down to level 1, 15, 30, or 50 at any time but try not to respec before level 30 as characters come with some "bonus" points in several skills to help you at the start that will disappear when you respec.

You'll get a maid fairly early on and she should be a party staple. Aim to get her 奉仕の心 skill to level 3 as soon as possible and maid mastery eventually to level 10 (this is the most efficient skill point to benefit ratio apparently). Only need 1 level of 料理 until end game as long as you increase maid mastery. 掃除 is also a good end game skill worth leveling on maids but it's low priority at the beginning.

Also as parakeetman has mentioned, the avenger skill on fighter types (and most skills that involve regular attacks actually) is useless lol. 挑発 also worthless as it doesn't work 100% of the time. In the same vein, never put any points into heal mastery skills. All healing spells (except full heal) have a hard cap and once you reach this cap, heal mastery does absolutely nothing at all. Weapon mastery skills should also be low priority until end game when you have points to spare as they barely increase damage.

When the going gets tough, it's often better to use healing items as healing spells have casting times.

Don't sell enemy drops as many are used for side quests and several have useful effects when eaten that may be useful even in the end game.

You can also save at any time in dungeon, which I didn't notice for way too long lol.

This is also more of a long term consideration, but if you want to go for completionism or hit some of the hardest content in the endgame, highly recommend leveling either a magical princess or papillon in your main party. They offer the quickest way to level up a lower level character. Unfortunately, both of these are very mediocre/bad for the entire game until they're in their 90s at which point they become god tier (especially magical princess).

CrovaxPSO

Thanks guys, especially the info about skills to avoid. I saw you talking about some useless ones so that's one of the things I wanted to be sure to avoid. About to get started!

Man, TP runs out quick. Melvy down in first dungeon >.>

Parakeetman

Thanks guys, especially the info about skills to avoid. I saw you talking about some useless ones so that's one of the things I wanted to be sure to avoid. About to get started!

Man, TP runs out quick. Melvy down in first dungeon >.>

in that dungeon the 100%オレンジ something item recovers 5 hp and 5 tp. drops ftom the oranges sometimes

autoduelist

I know in the OP it says:
"A: Well it does help considering how much of the story is voiced, plus if you can't read and I mean read not just recognize characters you will not fully understand what all the skills are, which is important when you level up and need to distribute the earned skill point(s). But it is possible to play with no knowledge of Japanese."

But I'm curious if anyone here has actually played it with absolutely zero knowledge of Japanese. I'm looking for a solid vita dungeon crawler. I don't care about missing out on story, I just need to be able to sort out skills/stats/inventory/etc.

I figure it's one thing for someone with knowledge of Japanese to think it might not require Japanese, but I'd like to hear that from someone who actually has no knowledge of Japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom